LAST UPDATED: February 1, 2021
The Best Air Loungers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
These are the best air loungers for relaxing, hanging out, and carrying anywhere
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON February 1, 2021
If you’ve ever wished you could take your comfortable couch or favorite lounge chair along with you when you’re camping, spending a day at the beach, or heading to a scenic outdoor spot, then you may want to invest in an air lounger. These innovative and affordable products inflate without pumps or your breath and are highly portable.
Air loungers are designed for the great outdoors, and they can survive car trips to campsites, sandy beaches, and even local parks and trails. Compact and convenient, an air lounger can be a cozy place to relax and soak in the sights — or it can work as a unique air mattress or a spot to sleep. You can find some of the very best air loungers available on the market with our picks below.
Easy to inflate, comfortable, and tough enough for the outdoors.
- Can adjust firmness and fullness
- Very comfortable
- Can be difficult to inflate at first
Affordably priced and very comfortable to lounge on.
- Highly comfortable
- Stays securely closed
- Hard to inflate without windy conditions
A high-quality, highly comfortable lounger you can carry anywhere.
- Suitable for sand, grass, and more
- Holds up to 440 pounds
- Material doesn’t create much static
- Can be difficult to learn how to inflate
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Air Loungers
- Can be used anywhere. Highly versatile and built for the outdoors, you can set up and relax on an air lounger just about anywhere and everywhere. These comfortable, portable items can be used at the beach, at parks, concerts and festivals, or even at campsites.
- Compact and lightweight. Built to collapse down into a slim, lightweight size when not in use, you can easily pack your air lounger into a backpack. It won’t add much weight at all, and you can carry it long distances, in your luggage, or a tote wherever you’re headed.
- Easy to set up. You don’t have to bring along a heavy pump or use your own lung power and breath to inflate an air lounger. These innovative products are easy to fill — you just need the wind or surrounding air to get them fully blown up and nicely cushy.
- Survive many outdoor environments. Made of durable material designed to prevent ripping, tearing, and abrasions, an air lounger can tolerate plenty of rugged outdoor settings. From soft sand to rough, rocky campsites to damp grass, your air lounger can be placed anywhere and stay in great shape.
- Affordably priced. While air loungers can be found at a variety of different price points, they’re generally quite affordable. Most cost less than $50, and some can even be found for under $30. That means an air lounger can fit in just about any budget, offering comfort at a low price.
Types of Air Loungers
There’s just one type of air lounger — and you can call it either an air sofa or an air lounger. These comfy products also go by the name inflatable lounger. Whatever you choose to call it, an air sofa is kind of like a hammock that you don’t have to tie or hang.
You inflate the lounger with the wind, secure the open end, and roll to adjust the firmness to your ideal level. Then, you can lay back and prop up your feet wherever you’d like. Inflatable loungers cushion your entire body, and many even include a “pillow” or angled head support so you can sit, sleep, or lay like you would on a regular couch.
Fatboy is a brand that’s all about fun — fun in the outdoors, that is. For more than 20 years now, Fatboy has created an array of outdoor products that allow you to lounge comfortably and with some unique flair. Fatboy was the very first company to create air loungers.
With adventure and fun at the heart of Chillbo Shwaggins, this brand creates a whole host of outdoor products such as water shoes, loungers, and sleeping bags designed for hanging out in extraordinary places.
Air Lounger Pricing
- Under $30: You can find quality air loungers even if you’re on a budget, with many options priced at less than $30. These air loungers tend to offer dependable quality and the comfort level you’d expect.
- $30 and up: Higher-quality air loungers can cost more than $30. While still pretty affordable in price, these loungers can include little extras like double-stitched seams, waterproofing, or storage pockets.
Most air loungers are made with a variety of nylon. But when you’re picking out one of these products, you want to make sure you choose one with strong material. The material will affect your air lounger's durability, and it can also affect how well it’ll survive different outdoor uses. Some air loungers feature waterproof or water-resistant material, for example, which adds extra benefits.
Some air loungers are easier to inflate than others—it all depends on what you need to do to get air inside the lounger’s material. Each inflatable lounger can require its own unique technique, so make sure to look at the instructions for filling the lounger correctly. It’s also a good idea to assess whether or not windy conditions are required to be able to use and inflate your lounger.
Portability is a pretty critical feature. If your air lounger isn’t portable, how useful will it be? You want an air lounger that’s lightweight enough to carry anywhere. Look for inflatable options that weigh very little — it’s also a good idea to assess how small they can fold down. Loungers that’ll fit in your backpack or tote bag are a great choice for a high level of portability.
Pockets and Accessories
Most air loungers are simple, with nothing more than a sleeve of material for you to relax on. But some do include little extras, like pockets and accessories. These can be extra helpful when you’re using your lounger. A side pocket, for example, lets you store items like your phone, tablet, and books within reach. Some offer even more helpful options.
- Water Resistance. You might not plan to use your air lounger in or near water, but water-resistant material is a smart choice. Even if you don’t take your lounger to the beach, water and moisture can get on it from drinks, wet grass, or moisture on the ground beneath you. Opt for a water-resistant fabric, and you’ll protect yourself and your lounger.
- Longevity. Once you inflate your air lounger, keep in mind that it’ll hold air for just a few hours. You’ll need to re-inflate the lounger after some time, as these items do tend to lose air slowly as you sit on them simply because of the way they’re designed.
- Practice Makes Perfect. While inflatable loungers tend to be pretty easy to inflate — and they don’t require you to blow them up with your breath — it still takes some practice to master the inflation process. Air loungers need a bit of wind and some arm strength, and you may notice there’s a bit of a learning curve to getting your lounger inflated just right.
Best Air Lounger Reviews & Recommendations 2021
The Wekapo Inflatable Air Lounger has all of the qualities you want from an inflatable lounger. It’s tough enough to survive all kinds of outdoor use, and it’s easy to inflate. It’s also wonderfully comfortable, giving you a cozy space to relax whether you’re getting some sun or resting after a long day. Constructed with an exterior layer of ripstop polyester material and a strong inner lining made of plastic, this lounger can hold up to 500 pounds. Its materials are also durable enough to offer support and avoid damage like tears and punctures. This air lounger will stay inflated for five to six hours, and it features a unique pillow-shaped headrest.
While inflating this lounger is pretty easy, it does take some time to learn how to trap air expertly, so be patient when using it the first few times.
With a very affordable price and excellent durability for long-term use, the Jsver Air Lounger offers great value. This budget-friendly lounger is comfortable to use at the beach or anywhere outdoors, with a square-shaped headrest and upper back support that provides a cozy, ergonomic experience. It’s made with lightweight, high-density 210T ripstop nylon material that can survive surfaces like sand, grass, and gravel. The air lounger lasts an impressively long time, too, staying inflated for about 24 hours once it’s filled. When inflated, the lounger measures 75 x 31 x 23 inches in size — and when you’re done using it, it can fold down to just 14 x 8.7 x 5.5 inches.
The only drawback is that this lounger can only be filled in windy conditions, so you’ll struggle to inflate it if it is not a windy day.
The Fatboy Lazmac The Original Inflatable Air Lounger was one of the very first air loungers released, and it’s a fantastic option if you’re looking for the highest-quality product. Made with durability and portability in mind, this lounger offers on-the-go comfort that’s perfect for hanging out outdoors. It is lightweight at only 2.6 pounds and made with 100 percent ripstop nylon material; however, it’s tough enough to hold up to 440 pounds. It can even seat two people simultaneously. The nylon material is both dirt and moisture repellant, which keeps you both dry and clean. It’s very easy to inflate, and you can fill it with air in just a few seconds, with no wind required. Once full, your lounger will measure 78 x 35 x 19 inches.
The biggest disadvantage to this air lounger is air loss since it can leak air pretty quickly throughout the day.
If you are looking for something with fun patterns and a unique design, the Chillbo Shwaggins Inflatable Couch is the perfect product to pick. This air lounger is designed to stand out and is available in 12 different colors and patterns. It is easy to inflate with just two scoops of air. It’s made with lightweight material that’ll support up to 440 pounds of weight, though it weighs just three pounds on its own. Designed to be carried with you, the lounger folds down to 13 x 7 x 3.5 inches in size and comes with its own carrying bag and strap.
You’ll love the cool accessories of this air lounger, like elastic anchor loops, so you can stake the lounger in place when it’s windy out. A set of large side pockets provides the perfect place to store books, snacks, drinks, and so much more.
The AlphaBeing Inflatable Air Lounger is a heavy-duty air lounger: it’s built to be durable enough to survive enough the roughest outdoor environments. Constructed with high-quality ripstop material, you can use the lounger on grass, sand, rocky surfaces, and even in water. It’s water-resistant and odorless, too. Made with comfort in mind, this air lounger features an ergonomic, comfortable shape that includes a neck pillow headrest. While you relax, you don’t have to worry — this lounger is designed with anti-deflation technology, so it’ll hold air twice as long as competing products.
It even includes extras like large mesh pockets, a securing stake, and an elastic strap for drinks. And you’ll have nothing to worry about when it comes to reliability, thanks to the 100 percent risk-free warranty offered with this air lounger.
The Fretree Inflatable Air Lounger will take some of the hard work out of using an inflatable lounger. Designed to be easy to inflate, this product won’t have you running in circles or hoping for wind. It takes just two scoops of air to fully inflate, meaning you can do less work and get your outdoor lounger set up in no time at all. It’s made with double-layered military-grade ripstop nylon material and can support up to 400 pounds of weight. This lounger can stay fully inflated for five to six hours. It’s as comfortable as it is convenient to use, too.
Designed with ergonomics in mind, you’ll love the headrest that offers support and the ability to use this lounger to lay down or as a sofa with another person. It includes large pockets for nearby storage while you lounge, and it comes with a carry bag.
If you’re hoping to get all-day use out of your air lounger without worry, the Kxly Inflatable Air Lounger is a great choice. This long-lasting inflatable lounger can offer you seven to eight hours of use, staying firm and full of air. Made with professionally-designed anti-leak technology and two layers of military-grade ripstop nylon, the lounger can prevent air leakage better than its competitors. It’s also sturdy, with enough strength to support 400 pounds at once, allowing you and a friend to sit on it together.
Want to relax even more? Lay back on this lounger, and the patented, ergonomic headrest will offer you supportive comfort for your neck, back, and shoulders. It’ll also keep everything you need within reach, thanks to the large mesh pockets and an elastic strap for holding water bottles and other beverages.
Need seating and lounging space for your friends in addition to yourself? The Ludtom Inflatable Air Lounger is a great option. This large lounger can be used as a place for one person to sprawl out and lay down, or it can be used as a couch, providing enough room for up to three people to sit comfortably. When inflated, this lounger measures 78.74 x 35.43 x 23.62 inches and can hold up to 440 pounds of weight. It’s made with military-grade ripstop nylon that’s coated and tightly woven for extra durability. Two layers of this material help the lounger bear the weight of multiple people.
However, despite its strength, this air lounger is still very lightweight and portable. It weighs just 2.6 pounds, and you can deflate it and stash it in just about any bag or backpack.
The IceFox Inflatable Lounger is the perfect lounger to pick if you want one that can do so much more. This air lounger can be used in multiple ways, such as a pool float, allowing you to toss it in a pool or lake and catch some sunshine while on the water. Made out of durable, tear-resistant material, this air lounger works both on the ground and in the water. It’s lightweight and able to float, with a mesh net in the middle that’s perfect for pool use.
Even better, there’s no pump required; unlike a traditional pool toy, this lounger inflates with just a few steps and a bit of outdoor air. When you’re out of the water, you can use the inflatable lounger as either a one-person lounge chair or a couch that’ll hold up to three people.
If you’re looking to get some great bang for your buck, the Mockins Inflatable Air Lounger is a great choice. In fact, it’s more than just one air lounger — it’s a set of two for one price. It’s the perfect pick if you want one for yourself and one for a friend or if you’re looking to add versatile seating to your outdoor gear. These loungers are great for camping, beach days, or even picnics at the park. They’re made out of strong 210T polyester fabric, which is lightweight yet tough. It’s waterproof and able to resist potential rips and tears.
It measures 73 x 16 x 31 inches when fully inflated, and it weighs just 2 pounds. When you’re ready to hit the road, this lounger deflates to a compact size of just 13 x 7 x 7 inches, allowing you to take it anywhere.
- Keeping your air lounger in good shape is easy — most can be rinsed off with a hose when dirty, then air-dried and safely stored.
- Make sure to check your air lounger for rips, tears, or puncture holes if you notice it isn’t quite holding air like it used to.
- You can use an air lounger even on rocky, uneven, or uncomfortable terrain, but keep an eye out for anything on the ground that might lead to punctures.
Q: How do I inflate my air lounger without wind?
You may be able to use a fan or an air blower if you’re without wind. Anything that’ll blow a stream of air into your lounger should do the trick, inflating it just like naturally windy conditions would.
Q: How do you inflate a crane air lounger?
A crane air lounger inflates just like any other model. You don’t need a pump or any fancy tools; you just need to use your upper body strength to lift, open and wave the lounger material, so it captures wind inside, then secure the end and roll tightly to achieve the right firmness.
Q: How do you get air in an air lounger?
Typically, you’ll use wind wherever you are to get air inside of an air lounger. However, without wind, you can also use tools or devices that blow air to get your lounger full of captured air.
The Wekapo Inflatable Air Lounger is our top choice for a quality, easy-to-use air lounger that’ll keep you comfortable. If you’re looking for an option with tremendous value, the Jsver Air Lounger is another great pick.