The Best Cycling Jerseys (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
These cycling jerseys are the best for performance and comfort
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON February 5, 2021
Are you still riding your bike in a basic T-shirt or your everyday clothes? It’s time for an upgrade. Whether you’re new to cycling or an experienced rider, you need to add a cycling jersey to your gear. There’s nothing more uncomfortable and unpleasant than riding and working up a sweat in clothing that’s damp, scratchy, or just plain inflexible. Cycling jerseys can not only increase your comfort on your bike but also aid your performance, helping you ride in a sleeker, more streamlined fashion. Full of benefits and ideal for short and long rides, a cycling jersey can enhance your experience in several ways. If you’re interested in discovering the best cycling jerseys, check out our picks right here.
A jersey that’s all about lightweight comfort and convenience.
- Aerodynamic fit
- Offers snug, secure pockets
- Comfortable fabric
- Sizing can be a bit loose or snug for some
An affordable, quick-drying jersey that’ll keep you comfortable.
- Keeps you cool
- Snug, aerodynamic fit
- May run small in some sizes
A high-quality jersey that’ll keep cyclists of all experience levels feeling great.
- Conforms to the body
- Very comfortable on long rides
- Feels like a second layer of skin
- Runs small
- Zipper is low-quality
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Cycling Jerseys
- More aerodynamic. To ride faster and more aerodynamically, you’re going to want to wear a cycling jersey. These slim-fitting jerseys cling to your body, eliminating the drag that normal clothing can cause so you can reach higher speeds.
- Keep you dry. If you’re frustrated when your clothes wind up wet with sweat on every bike ride, a cycling jersey can help. These jerseys are made from moisture-wicking materials that are designed to keep you dry on long, tough rides.
- Lots of storage space. Wondering where to put your phone, snacks, and other items while cycling? A cycling jersey is the perfect storage solution, as most jerseys feature three pockets that offer secure, easy-to-reach places to put your most important items.
- Increased comfort. It’s true: a cycling jersey offers better comfort while you ride. Designed for the unique riding position you need to use while cycling, a jersey stays firmly in place and allows you to have the right range of motion — plus flexibility — as you pump and pedal.
- Many choices for materials. You have a ton of choices when it comes to cycling jerseys. Made in an array of different fabrics to offer the ultimate combination of comfort and performance, it’s easy to find one that suits your needs.
Types of Cycling Jerseys
Athletic cycling jerseys are the most common — and popular — style you’ll find. They feature a snug, body-hugging fit that feels tight, but not too tight. An athletic jersey offers good aerodynamics and is typically made with stretchy material, with an elastic band at the bottom to keep everything in place. Most athletic cycling jerseys also feature pockets and zippers for extra convenience. These are a great choice for every kind of cycling enthusiast.
Race cycling jerseys are a step up from athletic jerseys, and they’re made for the most serious cyclists. Designed for professional, elite-level cyclists who are serious about competing in races, these jerseys are the tightest and stretchiest available. They’re also the most aerodynamic you can find. A race jersey typically features a high-cut front, a lower-cut back, long sleeves, and either a low collar or no collar. They’re made with high-performance fabrics and tend to be quite expensive.
Recreational cycling jerseys, which are also called comfort jerseys, are a looser-fitting option. These shirts are essentially a middle ground between athletic jerseys and your basic performance t-shirt. They offer a slim fit that isn’t too snug, with a zipper and a set of back pockets for storage while riding. A recreation jersey has slightly looser sleeves, which are held in place with an elastic band at the edge. This is a great option if you’re more of a casual cyclist.
An outdoor and sports gear brand, Spotti designs items that are meant to perform no matter where you’re headed. If you’re looking for quality cycling gear, you’ll want to check out top options like the Spotti Men’s Short Sleeve Cycling Jersey and the Spotti Men’s Long Sleeve Cycling Jersey that combine comfort and performance.
Since 2011, Sponeed has created both cycling clothing and bicycling accessories to suit riders, professional and casual, around the world. Whether you’re racing or riding for fun, Sponeed’s gear can help you improve. If it’s performance you’re looking for, you’ll love products like the Sponeed Men’s Cycling Jersey that help you reach new heights on your bike.
Cycling Jersey Pricing
- Under $30: Many affordable cycling jerseys can be found for under $30. These jerseys feature lower-quality materials, but they can improve your aerodynamics and comfort.
- $30 to $50: Most cycling jerseys fall within this price range. You’ll find options made with higher-quality materials, and you can also discover jerseys with extra features meant to make you even more comfortable.
- $50 and up: If you want a top-tier, pro-level cycling jersey, you’ll find the best options are priced at $50 or more. These jerseys can seriously deliver, but they will cost you.
Snug Grippers and Hem
When you’re cycling, your riding position — along with every movement — can cause your clothes to move. A quality cycling jersey will prevent slipping and other movements, keeping your shirt securely in place. Look for features like elastic grippers around the edges of the sleeves and a snug elastic hem, details that’ll keep every part of your jersey from moving while you ride.
Wind and Water Resistance
While most cycling jerseys keep you dry by wicking away sweat and moisture, cycling in wet weather means you need a different feature: water resistance. If you cycle during fog, light rain, or winter weather, you’ll want to choose a jersey that’s made with water-resistant material to keep you both warm and dry. Look for wind-resistant material too, so you’ll stay warm even if you’re riding in less-than-ideal conditions.
A quality cycling jersey will include pockets. Typically, the best jerseys feature three pockets placed on your back, which allows you to easily store and access important items while you ride. These pockets should fit common items like food, your phone, your wallet, or other valuables. Top-tier jerseys may even have a weather-proof pocket or zippered pockets for extra secure storage.
SPF or UV Protection
Cycling on sunny days means you’re getting a lot of exposure to UV rays. In addition to leaving you with some pretty interesting tan lines, this can also lead to dangerous sunburns. A cycling jersey that offers SPF or UV protection will keep your skin safe, preventing sunburns and other kinds of potential skin damage caused by exposure to UV light.
- Flatlock Seams. Chafing can be a serious problem, especially for cyclists who ride often. To prevent chafing and other painful discomforts, look for a jersey that features flatlock seams. This type of seam will lay flat and be gentle against sensitive areas of skin.
- “Zip Garage.” Even a detail as small as the back of the zipper on your cycling jersey can cause discomfort after many miles on your bike. To prevent your zipper from causing problems, opt for a jersey that features a “zip garage,” or a piece of fabric that covers the zipper.
- Ventilated Panels. Take a close look at where the ventilation comes from on a cycling jersey. Carefully placed ventilation panels can help you stay cool and sweat-free, so look for these panels in critical places where sweat forms like under your arms and along your back.
Best Cycling Jerseys Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Your style of cycling will determine the type of jersey that’s best for you. If you’re a casual rider, you don’t need as fancy of a jersey as someone who’s a professional.
- Sizing can vary significantly from jersey to jersey, brand to brand. Many cycling jerseys do run small, but keep in mind that your jersey is meant to fit snugly against your skin.
- Short sleeve cycling jerseys are best for warm weather while long sleeve jerseys are better for cooler temperatures.
- Not all cycling jerseys include zippers. Some are more like t-shirts while others feature polo-like necks. If you want to avoid the potential irritation of a zipper, you just need a different style of jersey.
Q: How do I choose a cycling jersey?
Start by deciding which type of cycling jersey best meets your style. Then, you’ll want to compare and consider the different features of various jerseys, looking at the qualities that matter most — like ventilation, UV protection, comfort, and fit.
Q: What is the best brand of cycling clothing?
Spotti, which offers jerseys like the Spotti Men’s Long Sleeve Cycling Jersey, is one of the top brands for cycling clothes.
Q: What is the point of a cycling jersey?
A cycling jersey is more comfortable and more performance-oriented than your average T-shirt. As a result, wearing a jersey can offer you more comfort, faster speeds, and better overall performance when you’re cycling over many miles.
We like the Spotti Men’s Short Sleeve Cycling Jersey as a top cycling jersey thanks to its all-around comfort and road performance. However, the Rion Men’s Cycling Jersey is another great option that features an affordable price. Which cycling jerseys do you recommend? Let us know below.