The Best Bicycle Accessories (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Make your bike rides easier and safer with these must-have accessories.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Noelle Talmon / LAST UPDATED ON July 28, 2021
Bicycles come in a variety of styles and sizes to suit people of different needs. There are also several accessories you can purchase to make your ride safer, more comfortable, and more convenient overall. It doesn't matter whether you're riding to work or hitting the trails, the best bike accessories allow you to customize your experience so your trip is more enjoyable.
In addition to a helmet, which is a must-have accessory, there are a lot of items available to make your adventure easier to complete. Perhaps you need a water bottle cage or a mount for your smartphone. You may need a tire pump or a portable toolkit. We put together a list of some of the top bike accessories currently available to make your search a little bit easier.
This U lock is made of alloy steel and features a 10mm x 180cm cable. It includes a mounting bracket for bike tubes that are 20-42mm.
- Easy to mount and use
- Strong, reliable, and durable
- Mount tends to rattle
- Keys are bulky and tough to put on a keychain
This CO2 inflator is made of aluminum alloy and works with both Presta and Schrader valves and 12g, 16g, 20g, or 25g CO2 cartridges.
- High-quality construction
- Small, lightweight, and easy to carry
- Excellent customer service
- CO2 cartridges not included
- Not compatible with valve extenders
This 500-lumen bike light has four modes: high, medium, low, and safe pulse. It includes a USB charging cable and handlebar mount.
- Waterproof and durable design
- Provides a clear view of the road or terrain in front of you
- Made in America
- Mount may be a little loose on the handlebar
- Light may swivel when you hit a bump
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Bicycle Accessories
- They're very helpful. Many bike accessories can get you out of a tight spot, such as a breakdown on the side of the road. It's a good idea to keep a multitool, toolkit, or tire pump on hand so you can fix or repair your bike in a pinch.
- They keep you safe. An accessory such as a helmet will protect your noggin if you crash, so it's a good idea to find one that fits your head just right. Also, accessories such as reflective clothing and lights will make you more visible to drivers and other road users.
- They're convenient. While some bike accessories are essential, some are made to simplify your riding experience. This may include items such as bottle cages to hold liquids, mounts to hold electronic devices, and bags or baskets to hold groceries or other gear.
Types of Bicycle Accessories
Like any physical activity, riding a bike can be dangerous. It's a good idea to be properly equipped to avoid unnecessary damage to yourself or your bike. It's important to wear proper safety gear, such as a bike helmet, for example. Also, if you ride in low light conditions, it's a good idea to make yourself visible by using a bike light.
Maintenance and Repair Tools
Whether you ride your bike daily, on weekends, or just every once in a while, you need to take care of it regularly so it functions properly. It's a good idea to keep a basic tool kit on hand or with you on the go in case you run into any problems on the road or trail. Multitools and tire pumps are just some items that will help you maintain your bike.
If you plan on taking a ride over a long distance or merely want to ride your cruiser bike to the beach, it's handy to have a basket, bag, pannier, or other storage option on your bike. Sure, you could always stuff your possessions in a backpack, but it's much easier to load items on your bike instead of on your back.
You invest good money on a bicycle, so you don't want anyone to steal it. That's why it's important to use a lock every time you leave it unattended. The good news is that companies make locks specifically for bicycles, so you have peace of mind when your bike is out of your sight.
Based in Flushing, New York, Via Velo focuses solely on manufacturing bicycle locks. Since all bicyclists have different requirements, the company makes a range of bike locks to suit most people's needs, including the Via Velo Bike U Lock with Cable.
Pro Bike Tool
This UK-based company has only been around since 2015, but it's known for producing top-quality cycling products, including bottle cages, tools, cleats, and pumps, such as the PRO BIKE TOOL CO2 Inflator.
Light & Motion
Two students from Stanford University founded Light & Motion in Monterey, Calif., in 1989. The company makes accessories for cycling, diving, and photography. We recommend the Light and Motion Urban 500.
Crankbrothers is based in Laguna Beach, Calif., and aims to make products that "reinvent the riding experience." Items include wheels, pedals, pumps apparel, and tools, such as the Crankbrothers M19 Multi-Tool + Case.
Bicycle Accessories Pricing
- Under $10: Some bike accessories are very affordable, such as bells that warn pedestrians and others that you're in the vicinity or bottle cages that hold your beverages. These items are cheap but useful.
- $10-$50: Many bike accessories fall in this price range. You can get everything from a good-quality multitool to a storage basket, bike lock, and headlight.
- $50 and up: Bike racks, bike shoes, and other items can be more costly; however, they’re very useful and worth the investment.
Ease of Use
If you choose to purchase a smartphone mount, it shouldn't be a hassle to insert and remove your device. If you buy a bottle cage, it should be easily accessible and not too difficult to use. Choose bike accessories that make riding easier, not challenging.
Sometimes it's hard to pass up a good deal, but always put high-quality parts above a cheap price tag. Make sure the item is built well. Take a look at the materials, and check out the reviews. Cheaply made accessories tend to fall apart a lot easier and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.
Sometimes it's better to opt for small and compact items. If you're carrying a multitool, for example, it shouldn't be too large or too bulky to put in a bag or pannier. The same is true for a tire inflator. Items like this need to be sized properly, so they aren't a hassle to keep on hand.
- Installation. Some products need to be mounted to your bikes, such as a pannier, basket, or smartphone holder. Look for items that are easy to attach to the handlebars or other areas of your bike. Also, check the specs to make sure the item is compatible with the size of your particular bike.
- Style. The great thing about customizing your bike is that you can choose from a variety of different styles, colors, and designs. You may opt for a product that has a hue that matches your bike or one that complements it. You may choose more traditional-looking gear or one with a more modern aesthetic.
Best Bicycle Accessories Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- When shopping for apparel, choose bright colors or white so drivers can see you. If you plan on riding at night or in low light conditions, wear a reflective jacket so you're more visible.
- It's best to use two lights, particularly if you ride at night. A headlight will illuminate your path, while a rear light will announce your presence to cars behind you.
- Be picky about where you leave and lock your bike. If possible, choose a busy spot with a lot of pedestrian traffic. Lock it on a fixed object and if possible in the middle of other locked bikes.
Q: What accessories should I get for my bike?
In addition to a helmet, there are a variety of accessories that are great for cyclists. We recommend items such as a multitool, bike pump, lights, and a lock. You may also want a bottle cage, proper apparel, and other items, depending on your needs.
Q: What should every cyclist have?
When you ride a bicycle, it's important to wear head protection and stay hydrated. It's also a good idea to have repair tools and a tire inflator, so you can get back on the bike quickly after a breakdown.
Q: What are the top 10 bicycle brands?
Some top bicycle brands include Cannondale, Kona, Giant, GT Bikes, Marin Cycles, Merida Bikes, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Trek, and Yeti Cycles.
Our pick for the best bicycle accessory is the Via Velo Bike U Lock with Cable. It protects your bike from theft when it’s unattended and provides peace of mind. For a more budget-friendly option, consider the PRO BIKE TOOL CO2 Inflator.