LAST UPDATED: January 18, 2021
The Best Marine Speakers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these marine speakers to enjoy music on your boat at all times
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON January 18, 2021
A high-quality set of marine speakers are a great way to listen to your favorite tunes, audiobook, or podcast while on the open water. The best marine speakers are completely waterproof and built specifically for use in wet environments. Marine speakers are typically loud enough so you can hear your music over the boat motor or waves on the water. Owning a reliable set of marine speakers is ideal for use on any ocean, lake, river, pond, or any body of water. With recent advances in technology, there are more and more options available in today's marketplace. Whether you are looking for great value, durability, versatility, or portability, we took a look at the best marine speakers currently available. Read on to see which set of speakers are the best fit for your aquatic needs.
6.5 inches in diameter and feature a dual cone design. Feature a waterproof rating of IP5. Fully resistant to UV radiation as well as saltwater.
- Features 40 watts of power
- Grill is completely removable for improved sound quality
- Extremely easy to use and can be installed simply in almost any type of boat
- Reliable, trusted brand
- Grill is made from a cheaper plastic design that is not as heavy-duty as some comparable options
- Can crack or break if not handled or stored correctly
Budget-friendly price tag. 5.25-inch marine speakers are made from a durable material that can produce high-quality sound. Completely weather-resistant, able to withstand some splashes of water from the waves or even periods of rain.
- Voice coils are built to withstand high temperatures and inclement weather conditions
- Dome shape is meant to disperse sound with a wider radius than comparable models
- Three-year platinum online dealer warranty is included with each purchase to cover any issues or defects
- Difficult installation process.
- Not nearly as user-friendly as other models
- Recommend contacting a professional for help with the installation process
Can be purchased as a set of four to provide excellent sound production. Measure 6.5 inches in diameter and are incredibly easy to install.
- Completely weatherproof, UV-resistant, and have also been tested to hold up in saltwater
- Exterior hardware is forged from a high-quality rustproof, stainless-steel
- Some customers have reported that they are slightly larger than advertised
- Make sure you have enough room in your boat to install these speakers before making your final purchase
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Marine Speakers
- Waterproof. Perhaps the most obvious and important benefit of marine speakers is that they are waterproof. Since the speakers are meant to be used on open water, look for them to feature a quality waterproof rating for the best protection.
- Versatile. Another important benefit of marine speakers is that they are versatile. Since they are waterproof, most marine speakers can also be used on your RVs, campers, and off-road vehicles like ATVs, UTVs, and dirt bikes.
- Durable. Marine speakers are typically extremely heavy-duty, durable products. It is essential that marine speakers are built from high-quality materials that are rust-resistant, corrosion-resistant, and can withstand the test of time.
Types of Marine Speakers
If you are shopping on a budget, dual cone marine speakers are typically the cheapest type of speaker, but they are also the lowest quality of all three types. Dual cone speakers feature one speaker driver alongside two cones to reproduce the sound. While there are some quality dual cone speakers available on the market, if price is not a major factor, you may want to consider one of the other types of speakers for the best audio quality.
Coaxial marine speakers are most commonly referred to as two-way or three-way speakers. In this type of speaker, one speaker is wrapped around another speaker. Coaxial speakers are typically higher quality than dual cone speakers, but they are also more expensive. One downside of this type of speaker is cross-phase distortion, which occurs because the speakers are so closely attached.
Component marine speakers are typically the most expensive, but also the highest quality of all three types of marine speakers. Component speakers are very similar to coaxial speakers, but their design eliminates any chance of cross-phase distortion. This type of speaker features a tweeter that is completely separated from the woofer cone, replicating the design of most box speakers.
Founded in 1946 and headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, Sony is an international company known for manufacturing high-quality consumer and professional electronic products. In addition to high-quality marine speakers, Sony produces televisions, video cameras, smartphones, vehicle receivers, and more.
Founded in 1987 and headquartered in California, Boss Audio has developed into one of the most reputable audio and video manufacturers in the United States. In addition to high-quality marine speakers, Boss Audio produces car stereos, all-terrain speakers, Bluetooth remotes, and more.
Founded in 1972 and headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Polk Audio has developed into one of the top American manufacturers of home speakers, automobile speakers, and a wide range of other electronic products. In addition to high-quality marine speakers, Polk Audio produces floor speakers, soundbars, home speakers, outdoor speakers, and more.
Marine Speaker Pricing
- Under $50: Marine speakers in this price range are available at an excellent value. Marine speakers at this price point are typically dual cone speakers, so if you are looking for the highest quality audio, you may want to consider another option.
- $50-$100: This is the most common price point for marine speakers. Products in this price range are typically high quality, waterproof, reliable, and they can be either the coaxial or component speaker types.
- $100 and up: Marine speakers in this price range are priced at a premium. Products in this price range are typically the highest quality, component speaker types, are built from durable materials, and come with an excellent waterproof rating.
Owning a set of marine speakers that generates a sufficient amount of power is an important consideration. In general, your marine speakers should be able to have an equal amount of power or more than your boat's stereo or amplifier can provide. The amount of power is typically measured in RMS or continuous wattage. The higher the number, the more important it is to know the amount of power your speakers can handle.
The sound quality of your marine speakers is another important feature to consider. If you will be using your speakers primarily for fishing or while trolling around, then the sound quality and volume are probably not as important as if you will be using your speakers for entertainment or while cruising around. Most of the best speakers available on the market will have the ability to project sound well and produce a lot of volumes.
The waterproof rating is another essential factor to consider when shopping for your marine speakers. In general, the higher the rating the more protection it will provide. Waterproof speaker ratings are scored on a scale from one to seven, with a rating of one offering no special protection, and a rating of seven offering protection from condensation, water droplets, strong waves, rain, and more.
- Installation. The type of installation and size of your installation are important considerations for your marine speakers. Depending on the size and shape of your boat, a different size speaker may be a better option to best fit your needs. Make sure to measure the size of your speaker hole and the depth of the hole to make sure your new speakers will fit before beginning the installation process.
- Budget. Understanding your budget and the price of each type of speaker are important considerations. If you are shopping on a budget, you can still find a quality set of speakers. But if pricing is not an option, then you may want to opt for speakers of the highest quality, like component speakers. Some speakers are even available to purchase in value packs of up to four speakers in one set.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are important factors to consider with your marine speaker purchase. Most of the best speaker and electronics manufacturers will offer some type of warranty or limited warranty with their products. Look for a warranty to at least cover any type of manufacturing defects or issues with your marine speakers upon delivery, as well as any issues you may have in the first few uses of your new product.
Best Marine Speakers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
If you're looking for a high-quality set of marine speakers, the Sony Dual Cone Marine Speakers may be the best on the market today. These marine speakers are 6.5 inches in diameter and feature a dual cone design. They feature a waterproof rating of IP5, and they are fully resistant to UV radiation as well as saltwater. Each speaker of this set includes 40 watts of power and the grill is completely removable for improved sound quality if needed. This product is extremely easy to use and can be installed simply in almost any type of boat. It is a reliable, trusted brand, and if you need to purchase more than two speakers, it is a budget-friendly option that won't cause you to break your bank.
One downside of the Sony Dual Cone Marine Speakers is its durability. The grill is made from a cheaper plastic design that is not as heavy-duty as some comparable options. The plastic grill has been known to crack or break if not handled or stored correctly.
Get the best bang for your buck with the Boss Audio Systems Marine Weatherproof Speakers. Despite its budget-friendly price tag, this set of 5.25-inch marine speakers are made from a durable material that can produce high-quality sound. These speakers are completely weather-resistant, able to withstand some splashes of water from the waves or even periods of rain. The polyurethane speakers include voice coils that are built to withstand high temperatures and inclement weather conditions. The dome shape of these speakers is meant to disperse sound with a wider radius than comparable models. A three-year platinum online dealer warranty is included with each purchase to cover any issues or defects with the speakers. It is recommended that these marine speakers be professionally installed to ensure a reliable and safe product.
One issue with the Boss Audio Systems Marine Weatherproof Speakers is with the installation process. Compared to some other marine speakers, this set of speakers is not nearly as user-friendly. It is recommended to contact a professional for help with the installation process.
The Kicker Oem Marine Speaker Bundle is one of the highest quality sets of speakers available on the market today. These marine speakers can be purchased as a set of four to provide excellent sound production in almost any marine setting. Each of the four speakers measures 6.5 inches in diameter and is incredibly easy to install. The speakers are completely weatherproof, UV-resistant, and have also been tested to hold up in saltwater. The speaker exterior hardware is forged from a high-quality rustproof, 316L stainless-steel. You can either install all four of these speakers at once in your boat, or you can use two at a time, and save the other two for use as backup speakers if needed. As a two-way set, these speakers are known for having an extremely good frequency response.
One downside of the Kicker Oem Marine Speaker Bundle is its size. Some customers have reported that they are slightly larger than advertised, so you may want to make sure you have enough room in your boat to install these speakers before making your final purchase.
The Polk Audio Atrium Outdoor Speakers are perhaps the most heavy-duty marine speakers on the market. They are designed for outdoor spaces like the pool, patio, deck, and backyard, but these speakers can fit perfectly into almost any boat setting. These speakers are completely weather resistant and built from military-grade components. They can be mounted either vertically or horizontally using the one-click speed-lock mounting bracket. These speakers can deliver excellent sound quality in a variety of different situations and conditions. The system can provide quality sound at a full 180 degrees once it is mounted into place. Due to the all-weather certification, these speakers can be used in almost any type of weather conditions, including heavy rain, wind, and more. The aluminum with stainless steel and brass hardware is completely rust-resistant and corrosion-resistant.
One issue with the Polk Audio Atrium Outdoor Speakers is with their size. With a measurement of 7.5 inches by 6.3 inches by 9.5 inches, these speakers have been known to take up a lot more space than other models. Make sure there is enough room in your boat or outdoor space before making your final purchase.
The Kenwood 2-Way Marine Speakers is another high-quality set of 6.5-inch speakers. These marine speakers have a power rating of 25 watts, feature water-resistant cone woofers, and one-inch balanced dome tweeters. They are specifically designed for marine usage with a peak of 50 watts RMS to sound perfectly while on the water or docked at the marina. These speakers are completely weather-resistant, featuring black UV-resistant grilles, composite speaker baskets, and stainless steel hardware. Despite the durable construction of these speakers, they are still reasonably priced. The speaker drivers have been known to produce a fairly wide frequency response in almost any setting. These marine speakers are sold in pairs, but depending on the size of your boat, you may need up to four speakers to produce enough sound for your specific needs.
One downside of the Kenwood 2-Way Marine Speakers is the installation process. Although these speakers are advertised as fairly easy to install, you may want to hire or consult a professional to properly and safely install this set of speakers.
The Magnadyne Waterproof Marine Speaker is another extremely affordable set of speakers. If you are shopping on a budget, then you can't go wrong with this speaker set. Each speaker of this set measures five inches with a power rating of 25 watts. The dual-cone design makes a great option to produce quality sound in many different settings. Due to their great waterproof and weather-resistant design, these speakers are great options for your boat, RV, ATV, UTV, hot tub, pool, and more. A full plastic encasement frame and integrated grill provide added protection for any situation. They are moisture, heat, cold and shockproof, and all electrical components are completely encased. These speakers are extremely compact and can easily be set up without much assistance needed.
One issue with the Magnadyne Waterproof Marine Speaker is with the sound output. While they are slightly less powerful than other options on the market, you can't go wrong with this set of speakers available at an excellent price point.
The Rockville 600 Watt Marine Tower Speakers may be priced at a premium, but they are another high-quality set of speakers. This pair of speakers features a fully adjustable nylon mounting bracket reinforced with embedded steel. The speakers are completely weather-resistant and rustproof, designed for maximum protection in both freshwater and saltwater conditions. In addition to your boat, the large mounting screws accommodate roll bars found on many off-road vehicles such as Jeeps, ATVs, UTVs, and others equipped with a roll bar/cage. These speakers are extremely easy to install, and they include an integrated grill for added protection. With a high peak power handling of 300 watts and a great frequency response, these speakers will produce excellent sound quality in a variety of conditions.
One issue with the Rockville 600 Watt Marine Tower Speakers is with their durability. Some customers have reported that the plastic casing and mounting brackets have been known to break or crack over time.
The Kicker 2-Way Full Range Marine Speakers are truly one of the most versatile products on the market. This set of speakers can be used both indoors and outdoors. In addition to your boat, these speakers can easily be installed in your living room, den, backyard, deck, patio, garage, RV, pool area, and more. The UV-resistant and weather-resistant speakers can be used in any location to produce quality sound over a large area. The speakers can be installed either vertically or horizontally on almost any wall or ceiling. With a peak power rating of 150 watts and a waterproof rating of IPX5, these speakers can be trusted to work in almost any weather condition. A one-year warranty provides added reliability, which will cover any manufacturing defects or issues within the first year of purchase.
One downside of the Kicker 2-Way Full Range Marine Speakers is with the delivery. Some customers have reported that their products have not worked upon delivery. Make sure to try out your speakers as soon as possible, and reach out to the company for a refund or replacement if there are any problems.
- Make sure to purchase a set of marine speakers that fits your specific needs. Depending on whether you will be using your speakers for activities like entertainment or fishing will affect the type and size speaker you may need.
- Install your speakers in the best spot of your boat to produce the highest sound quality and the best acoustics. In general, this will be toward the back of your boat, but it can vary greatly depending on the type and size boat you own.
- Make sure that your speakers feature a high waterproof rating. No matter the price or type of speakers you purchase, you will want a set of speakers that can hold up when wet and in almost any condition.
- If you are looking for speakers to use for a variety of activities, look for versatile speakers that are removable and can also be used on all-terrain vehicles like dirt bikes, ATVs, and UTVs.
- Keep in mind when looking for your marine speakers that bigger is not always better. Shop for features like power rating and waterproof rating when looking for your new speakers, and not necessarily the size of your speakers.
Q: Are marine speakers waterproof?
Yes, marine speakers are generally waterproof and built to withstand waves and all types of weather conditions. Consider the waterproof rating of your speakers before making your final decision on the best fit for your specific needs.
Q: What are the loudest marine speakers?
There are many loud marine speakers available on the market. Read our full review to determine which one may be the best fit for your needs. In general, consider the power rating to find the loudest speaker and not just the size of the speaker.
What should I look for in a marine speaker?
There are several important factors to consider when shopping for marine speakers, but some of the most important features to consider are waterproof rating, power rating, installation size, sound quality, type of warranty, and your budget.
For a high-quality set of marine speakers, consider the Sony Dual Cone Marine Speakers, which are reliable and resistant to UV radiation as well as saltwater, or the Boss Audio Systems Marine Weatherproof Speakers, which are completely weather resistant. Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite set of marine speakers are and what you love about them.