The Best Marine Speakers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these marine speakers to enjoy music on your boat at all times
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Zach Faulds / LAST UPDATED ON July 7, 2021
A high-quality set of marine speakers are a great way to listen to your favorite tunes, audiobook, or podcast while on the open water. The best marine speakers are completely waterproof and built specifically for use in wet environments. Marine speakers are typically loud enough so you can hear your music over the boat motor or waves on the water. Owning a reliable set of marine speakers is ideal for use on the ocean, lake, river, pond, or any body of water. With recent advances in technology, there are more and more options available in today's marketplace. Whether you are looking for great value, durability, versatility, or portability, we look at the best marine speakers currently available. Read on to see which set of speakers are the best fit for your aquatic needs.
6.5 inches in diameter and feature a dual cone design. Feature a waterproof rating of IP5. Fully resistant to UV radiation as well as saltwater.
- Features 40 watts of power
- Grill is completely removable for improved sound quality
- Extremely easy to use and can be installed simply in almost any type of boat
- Reliable, trusted brand
- Grill is made from a cheaper plastic design that is not as heavy-duty as some comparable options
- Can crack or break if not handled or stored correctly
Budget-friendly price tag. 5.25-inch marine speakers are made from a durable material that can produce high-quality sound. Completely weather-resistant, able to withstand some splashes of water from the waves or even periods of rain.
- Voice coils are built to withstand high temperatures and inclement weather conditions
- Dome shape is meant to disperse sound with a wider radius than comparable models
- Three-year platinum online dealer warranty is included with each purchase to cover any issues or defects
- Difficult installation process.
- Not nearly as user-friendly as other models
- Recommend contacting a professional for help with the installation process
Can be purchased as a set of four to provide excellent sound production. Measure 6.5 inches in diameter and are incredibly easy to install.
- Completely weatherproof, UV-resistant, and have also been tested to hold up in saltwater
- Exterior hardware is forged from a high-quality rustproof, stainless-steel
- Some customers have reported that they are slightly larger than advertised
- Make sure you have enough room in your boat to install these speakers before making your final purchase
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Marine Speakers
- Waterproof. Perhaps the most obvious and important benefit of marine speakers is that they are waterproof. Since the speakers are meant to be used on open water, look for them to feature a quality waterproof rating for the best protection.
- Versatile. Another important benefit of marine speakers is that they are versatile. Since they are waterproof, most marine speakers can also be used on your RVs, campers, and off-road vehicles like ATVs, UTVs, and dirt bikes.
- Durable. Marine speakers are typically extremely heavy-duty, durable products. It is essential that marine speakers are built from high-quality materials that are rust-resistant, corrosion-resistant, and can withstand the test of time.
Types of Marine Speakers
If you are shopping on a budget, dual cone marine speakers are typically the cheapest type of speaker, but they are also the lowest quality of all three types. Dual cone speakers feature one speaker driver alongside two cones to reproduce the sound. While there are some quality dual cone speakers available on the market, if price is not a major factor, you may want to consider one of the other types of speakers for the best audio quality.
Coaxial marine speakers are most commonly referred to as two-way or three-way speakers. In this type of speaker, one speaker is wrapped around another speaker. Coaxial speakers are typically higher quality than dual cone speakers, but they are also more expensive. One downside of this type of speaker is cross-phase distortion, which occurs because the speakers are so closely attached.
Component marine speakers are typically the most expensive, but also the highest quality of all three types of marine speakers. Component speakers are very similar to coaxial speakers, but their design eliminates any chance of cross-phase distortion. This type of speaker features a tweeter that is completely separated from the woofer cone, replicating the design of most box speakers.
Founded in 1946 and headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, Sony is an international company known for manufacturing high-quality consumer and professional electronic products. In addition to high-quality marine speakers, Sony produces televisions, video cameras, smartphones, vehicle receivers, and more.
Founded in 1987 and headquartered in California, Boss Audio has developed into one of the most reputable audio and video manufacturers in the United States. In addition to high-quality marine speakers, Boss Audio produces car stereos, all-terrain speakers, Bluetooth remotes, and more.
Founded in 1972 and headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Polk Audio has developed into one of the top American manufacturers of home speakers, automobile speakers, and a wide range of other electronic products. In addition to high-quality marine speakers, Polk Audio produces floor speakers, soundbars, home speakers, outdoor speakers, and more.
Marine Speaker Pricing
- Under $50: Marine speakers in this price range are available at an excellent value. Marine speakers at this price point are typically dual cone speakers, so if you are looking for the highest quality audio, you may want to consider another option.
- $50-$100: This is the most common price point for marine speakers. Products in this price range are typically high quality, waterproof, reliable, and they can be either the coaxial or component speaker types.
- $100 and up: Marine speakers in this price range are priced at a premium. Products in this price range are typically the highest quality, component speaker types, are built from durable materials, and come with an excellent waterproof rating.
Owning a set of marine speakers that generates a sufficient amount of power is an important consideration. In general, your marine speakers should be able to have an equal amount of power or more than your boat's stereo or amplifier can provide. The amount of power is typically measured in RMS or continuous wattage. The higher the number, the more important it is to know the amount of power your speakers can handle.
The sound quality of your marine speakers is another important feature to consider. If you will be using your speakers primarily for fishing or while trolling around, then the sound quality and volume are probably not as important as if you will be using your speakers for entertainment or while cruising around. Most of the best speakers available on the market will have the ability to project sound well and produce a lot of volumes.
The waterproof rating is another essential factor to consider when shopping for your marine speakers. In general, the higher the rating the more protection it will provide. Waterproof speaker ratings are scored on a scale from one to seven, with a rating of one offering no special protection, and a rating of seven offering protection from condensation, water droplets, strong waves, rain, and more.
- Installation. The type of installation and size of your installation are important considerations for your marine speakers. Depending on the size and shape of your boat, a different size speaker may be a better option to best fit your needs. Make sure to measure the size of your speaker hole and the depth of the hole to make sure your new speakers will fit before beginning the installation process.
- Budget. Understanding your budget and the price of each type of speaker are important considerations. If you are shopping on a budget, you can still find a quality set of speakers. But if pricing is not an option, then you may want to opt for speakers of the highest quality, like component speakers. Some speakers are even available to purchase in value packs of up to four speakers in one set.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are important factors to consider with your marine speaker purchase. Most of the best speaker and electronics manufacturers will offer some type of warranty or limited warranty with their products. Look for a warranty to at least cover any type of manufacturing defects or issues with your marine speakers upon delivery, as well as any issues you may have in the first few uses of your new product.
Best Marine Speakers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Make sure to purchase a set of marine speakers that fits your specific needs. Depending on whether you will be using your speakers for activities like entertainment or fishing will affect the type and size speaker you may need.
- Install your speakers in the best spot of your boat to produce the highest sound quality and the best acoustics. In general, this will be toward the back of your boat, but it can vary greatly depending on the type and size boat you own.
- Make sure that your speakers feature a high waterproof rating. No matter the price or type of speakers you purchase, you will want a set of speakers that can hold up when wet and in almost any condition.
- If you are looking for speakers to use for a variety of activities, look for versatile speakers that are removable and can also be used on all-terrain vehicles like dirt bikes, ATVs, and UTVs.
- Keep in mind when looking for your marine speakers that bigger is not always better. Shop for features like power rating and waterproof rating when looking for your new speakers, and not necessarily the size of your speakers.
Q: Are marine speakers waterproof?
Yes, marine speakers are generally waterproof and built to withstand waves and all types of weather conditions. Consider the waterproof rating of your speakers before making your final decision on the best fit for your specific needs.
Q: What are the loudest marine speakers?
There are many loud marine speakers available on the market. Read our full review to determine which one may be the best fit for your needs. In general, consider the power rating to find the loudest speaker and not just the size of the speaker.
What should I look for in a marine speaker?
There are several important factors to consider when shopping for marine speakers, but some of the most important features to consider are waterproof rating, power rating, installation size, sound quality, type of warranty, and your budget.
For a high-quality set of marine speakers, consider the Sony Dual Cone Marine Speakers, which are reliable and resistant to UV radiation as well as saltwater, or the Boss Audio Systems Marine Weatherproof Speakers, which are completely weather resistant. Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite set of marine speakers are and what you love about them.