The Best ATV Boom Sprayers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Need to spray a large area around your yard or property? You need a boom sprayer for your ATV.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Zach Faulds / LAST UPDATED ON January 5, 2021
If you have a large lawn, garden, or property, it can be tough to maintain it properly, especially if you treat it several times a year with herbicides and pesticides to prevent insects from damaging the grass and plants. One way to make the task easier is by using an ATV boom sprayer. As long as you already own an ATV, you can quickly and simply treat your property by installing this handy tool on the back of your four-wheeler.
Farmers and homeowners have been using ATV sprayers for years. They are particularly helpful if your property is large and a backpack sprayer is too time consuming to use. With so many options available, it can be tough to choose the best product. Check out our guide below for the top ATV sprayers currently available.
Designed for larger jobs, this 25-gallon sprayer delivers up to 60 PSI, sprays up to 1.8 gallons a minute, and connects to the 12-volt battery.
- No assembly required
- 90-day limited warranty
- Easy to use
- Accurate sprayer
- Connections need to be tightened before use
- Nozzle can be tough to adjust
This spot sprayer has an eight-gallon tank and sprays 12 feet vertically and 20 feet horizontally. It features chemical-resistant components and is designed for use with most pesticides.
- UV-resistant tank
- Monitoring fluid levels is easy
- Convenient remote switch
- May require extra straps to secure it down
- Speed of spray isn’t adjustable
This tow-behind sprayer can be used on an ATV or tractor. It has a 31-gallon tank and commercial-grade pump to cover large areas.
- Long-lasting pump
- Steel cart can traverse rough terrain
- Folds up for storage
- Tank is easy to fill and empty
- Box and components may be damaged during shipping
- Manual needs improvement
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of ATV Boom Sprayers
- Easy to use. Many are pre-assembled. You simply mount it on your ATV and connect the sprayer to the battery, so it has the power to operate. Then simply press the trigger, and you're good to go.
- Easily cover larger areas. Since ATV boom sprayers are so easy to set up, it's convenient to drive around and use this type of sprayer rather than walk around your property with a backpack sprayer.
- Feature various accessories make them even more convenient. You can add boom kits and increase the spray radius or add side spray to cover a larger surface area. You can also purchase longer hoses.
Types of ATV Boom Sprayers
Rear-Mounted Boom Sprayer
This is the more common type of ATV sprayer. You mount it directly on the back of your ATV. Rear-mounted sprayers are very popular and are more cost-effective compared to tow-behind sprayers. Many manufacturers ship these sprayers fully assembled, which makes them easy to install. However, they can be a little top-heavy, particularly if they have a larger-capacity tank.
If you have a little more money to spend and want an ATV boom sprayer with a larger tank, a tow-behind sprayer may be a good option. They usually come on carts with wheels and use a hitch to attach to your ATV, UTV, or tractor. The biggest downside is that they are more expensive than rear-mounted sprayers.
Precision Products is under the Gleason Group and manufactures heavy-duty lawn and garden equipment. Based in Lincoln, Ill., Precision makes everything from trailer carts to lawn spreaders, aerators, dethatchers, and boom sprayers, such as the Precision Products TCS15 Spot Sprayer.
NorthStar is owned by the Australian company Clayton Engineering, which has been in business for over 45 years. NorthStar produces durable sprayers and pumps and consists of a team of engineers in Australia and Faribault, Minn. One top product is the NorthStar High-Pressure ATV Spot Sprayer.
Ralph E. Chapin of Oakfield, N.Y., started making compressed air sprayers and hand sprayers in 1903. Every one of the company's products must pass strict quality-control standards before it's sold to consumers. One top product is the Chapin International 15-Gallon Spot Sprayer.
Based in Paynesville, Minn., Master Manufacturing has been creating spot and broadcast sprayers for more than 15 years. The company produces several niche sprayers and accessories as well. Check out the Master Manufacturing 15 Gallon ATV Spot Sprayer.
ATV Boom Sprayer Pricing
- Below $250: You can get a fairly decent but basic boom sprayer without spending too much money. These models may have a lower tank capacity, so you need to refill them more often.
- $250 and up: In this price range are tow-behind sprayers and those with larger tanks. These sprayers have more features, are designed to be durable, and may come with accessories for added convenience.
ATV boom sprayers have tanks that typically range from 15 gallons to 25 gallons, but you can also find options with less or greater capacity. Bigger jobs and bigger plots of land will require larger-capacity tanks; otherwise, you'll be constantly returning to home base to refill the tank, which can be inconvenient.
Without a pump, your ATV sprayer will not work. It controls the flow and output of the liquid in the tank through the spray gun. Good-quality pumps are long-lasting and can hold up to harsh chemicals that can break down a product's components. Premium pumps are designed with properties that protect against corrosion.
Most ATV boom sprayer tanks have drainage features. This allows you to empty the tank, clean it, and maintain it before using it again and adding either additional or different chemicals. Sloped tanks are a little better because they drain chemicals a little easier, which is more convenient.
- Warranty Period. Before purchasing a new ATV boom sprayer, check to see if it comes with a warranty. Usually, manufacturers that provide longer warranties have confidence that their products will last a good period. Try to avoid products without warranties as you may not receive a replacement or refund if you experience any problems with the sprayer.
- Tank Lid Diameter. This may seem inconsequential, but it's quite important. If the lid is too small, it can be a hassle to mix any materials or fill the tank. The wider the lid, the easier it is to pour chemicals into the tank. Plus, a tank with a wider lid is much easier to clean and maintain.
- Wand and Hose Length. If possible, choose a sprayer with the longest wand and hose you can find. These are better for larger swaths of land as you will have an easier time spraying gardens and farmland. The good news is that you may be able to purchase an extension if the wand and hose on your sprayer are too short.
Best ATV Boom Sprayers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Look for a tank that is constructed of polyethylene as it will be more durable than other options. This type of tank is corrosion-resistant and can tolerate harsh chemicals.
- Some ATV sprayers come with accessories, which can be very convenient. Plus, you won't have to pay for them separately, which can drive down the overall cost.
- When storing it for the season, keep it in a dry place as moisture and humidity can cause some issues with its operation.
Q: How do you clean a sprayer after use?
Clean the boom sprayer every time you use it. Run warm water and a tiny bit of dishwashing soap through it, and then cycle clean water through it.
Q: How do you remove chemicals from plastic?
Mix water with white vinegar or use three parts baking soda and one part water and rub it on the plastic with a sponge or cloth. Rinse the plastic with water.
Q: How do you winterize a spray rig?
Empty the tank and add automotive antifreeze. Turn the boom sections off, but leave the master spray switch and pump on. Run the antifreeze through the system.
Our pick for the best ATV boom sprayer is the Precision Products TCS15 Spot Sprayer. It does a great job of tackling large areas and can spray up to 1.8 gallons per minute. Plus, it's well built and easy to use. For a more budget-friendly option, consider the Ironton ATV Spot Sprayer.