The Best Vans Colorways (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Rock a classic American shoe brand with your pair of Vans kicks
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Andra DelMonico / LAST UPDATED ON January 15, 2021
You don’t have to be a skater, surfer, or live on the west coast to wear these iconic shoes. Vans sneakers are one of the most recognizable and most loved shoes around the world. They have a lasting appeal due to their high-quality construction, minimalist styling, and rebel attitude.
Since their introduction in the 1960s, Vans has been a go-to shoe for their comfort and durability. You’ll love how lightweight and easy to break in they are. The company has been decades ahead of culture by designing unisex shoes, so anyone can wear any shoe that appeals to them. Whether you’re looking to experience your first pair or already have an extensive collection, this guide will help you find the perfect pair of Vans for your style aesthetic.
Slip these classic Vans skate shoes on your feet and enjoy an easy-going kind of style. It comes in several sizes and colors for you to choose from.
- Rubber sole
- Cushioned collar
- Unique styling
- Lacks toe reinforcement
- Can cause blisters
Wear your Authentic sneakers and look stylish no matter what you’re doing. They feature a canvas upper, rubber sole, and lace-up front.
- Vulcanized construction
- Lacks cushioning
- Flat sole
Wear this iconic Vans shoe and rock an American classic. These shoes feature a single color with a bold accent line down the side.
- Lace-up front
- Vulcanized waffle sole
- Padded collar
- Flat sole
- Narrow fit
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Vans Colorways
- Style. There are thousands of designs available to choose from. While they have a limited number of shoe types, there are countless options for colors and patterns. You’ll be able to find the perfect pair to match any outfit.
- Quality. The reason Vans have remained popular for so many years is the consistency in the quality. You can wear your shoes every day for years before they fall apart. This durability makes them reliable and well worth the cost.
- Comfort. These shoes don’t just look cool; they’re comfortable enough to wear all day. Slip a pair on and feel how they effortlessly wrap around your feet. They’re lightweight enough to walk long distances without tiring your legs and back.
Types of Vans Colorways
This laid back shoe is easy to slide onto your feet. It first hit the market in 1977 and has become a staple in surf and skate culture. They’re nice because they don’t have laces that can become untied or get caught in anything. There are two elastic inserts on either side of the tongue for stretch and flexibility. The most well-known style is the black and white checkerboard pattern, but modern designs embrace various colors and patterns.
This type of shoe was one of the first in the product lineup for Vans in 1966. They feature a low profile design with an upper that wraps around the foot just below the ankle. This gives your feet support and protection without limiting the movement and flexibility of your ankles. They lace up on the front for a classic sneaker feel.
This design features the iconic Vans side stripe. It first joined the Vans product line in 1978 after the company’s founder drew what he described as a “Jazz stripe” on the side of the shoe. You’ll notice that this shoe design is similar to the Authentic with a low profile rise. However, the body of the shoe is more substantial, with more structure and cushioning.
Similar to the Old Skool, the Sk8-Hi features the classic Vans side stripe. Where this shoe stands out is how high it comes up on the foot. The tops of the shoe will cover your ankle for increased support. You may hear these shoes called “high tops” because of this. They also have a longer lacing line to give you a more secure fit.
This is the first skate shoe style that Vans produced. It features clean styling lines and is built for comfort. The collar sits just below your ankle and has extra padding for comfort. The construction is extra sturdy to give your feet the support they need when being active. You’ll also notice that these shoes are breathable to keep your feet cool.
Founded in California in 1966, Vans began as a shoe company catering to skate and surfing enthusiasts. Throughout the years, the shoes have grown in popularity to become a fashion staple. The company is known for creating innovative designs while staying true to its original construction designs. Check out these fierce Fuzzy Leopard Print Vans Slip-Ons that combine style and functionality.
Vans Colorways Pricing
- Under $50: You’ll find all types of Vans shoes in this price range. The most common sizes and design styles going out of season tend to be in this price range.
- $50 to $100: The majority of Vans are in this price range. You can expect to spend this amount on all types of shoes with the current season’s designs in the most common shoe sizes.
- $100 and up: Vans in this price range tend to be either limited-edition lines or specialty sizes that are very small or large.
The design of the shoes is the color and pattern of the shoes you choose. This is purely about your style, taste, and sense of fashion. What’s nice about Vans is that they come in several minimalist and subtle colors, making them versatile in how you wear them. There are also several bold designs or those who appreciate a bright color or intricate pattern.
The type of shoe is the construction of it. The type you choose will depend on what appeals to you visually, what feels most comfortable on your feet, and the activity you plan to do in them. Choose a type of shoe that will adequately support your feet while not restricting your movements.
Any pair of shoes that you buy needs to fit your feet. Check your shoe size against Van’s size chart to ensure you buy a pair that will fit your feet. It can also help to try them on before you commit to buying them. Your shoes shouldn’t feel tight, but your feet shouldn’t slide around in them either.
- Lacing. Decide whether or not you want your shoes to have lacing. The laces let you tighten your shoes, so they are secure on your feet. However, they require more work to put them on, and you may not need this snug feeling. Slip-ons lack lacing, making them easy to take on and off but aren’t the most secure for athletic activities.
- Material. Vans come in a variety of materials. Canvas is the classic material that comes in several colors, is easy to care for, and breathable. Other options are leather and suede for a classier looking shoe. Some shoes combine materials for a textural variety. Leather shoes tend to be more expensive than their canvas counterparts.
- Sole. Consider the sole material when buying your Vans. While they’re all high quality, they vary in traction, performance, and durability. If you’re only wearing them for fashion, this isn’t as important. However, if you’re wearing them to skate, you’ll want a pair that will give you the performance abilities you need.
Best Vans Colorways Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Try your shoes on at the end of the day. This is when your feet are at their largest and ensures your Vans will be comfortable anytime you wear them.
- If your shoes start to look dirty, you can throw them in the washing machine. This gets the dirt and grime off and helps them to look new again.
- Don’t wear the same pair of Vans several days in a row. Your feet sweat throughout the day, and your shoes need time to air out and dry. This keeps the smell and bacteria to a minimum.
Q: Are Vans shoes good quality?
Yes, the shoes’ quality is one of the reasons the company has remained so popular for so many years. The materials and the construction are high quality to create a shoe that’s meant to last.
Q: Why are Vans bad for your feet?
Sometimes they get a negative reputation because they have flat soles. They lack adequate support for your feet. This isn’t an issue for some people, but for others, this can become painful. However, having flat soles is a common shoe trait and not unique to Vans.
Q: How do I make my Vans look good?
Just put them on, and your Vans will look good. You can keep your style casual with a pair of shorts or jeans and a T-shirt. Depending on your style, you can wear no socks, neutral, or bold socks.
You can’t go wrong with the Vans Classic Slip-On shoe with its rubber sole, cushioned collar, and unique style. If you’re looking for a budget-friendly shoe, the Vans Authentic Core Classic Sneakers have durable vulcanized construction and are lightweight.