The Best Key Organizers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Protect your keys from damage and loss with these key organizers.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Noelle Talmon / LAST UPDATED ON January 19, 2021
Organizing is all the rage these days. Whether you're organizing a closet, garage, or personal belongings, there's something satisfying about keeping items neat and tidy. But one thing some people neglect to organize is their set of keys. Even though they are part of your everyday carry set up, they are often overlooked.
Keeping keys on a standard key ring isn't the best option. If you carry them in your pocket, they can wear down your pants and poke you in the leg. They can also be bulky, noisy, and move around uncomfortably when you walk. If this type of situation isn't working for you, you may want to use a key organizer. These affordable devices streamline your keys, so you don't make noise when you walk or hang out with an unsightly bulge in your pocket. Check out some of the best options available in the buying guide below.
This key organizer is made in Germany. It is 3.27 by 1.07 by 0.32 inches and accommodates one to 14 keys up to 2.95-inches long.
- Easy to locate your keys
- One-handed access
- Firm grip
- Looks cool
- Configuring it can be time-consuming
- There is a learning curve to using it
This key holder comes in three colors and has a pocket clip for convenience. It holds up to 14 keys.
- Slim and simple to use
- Easy to tighten
- Hardware prevents keys from loosening
- Keys can be too hard to remove if screws are too tight
This smart key organizer lets you find your keys and your phone should you misplace either of them. It can hold 10 keys.
- Flashlight and bottle opener included
- Easy to use
- Two-year warranty included
- Slim and space-saving
- Made of plastic instead of steel
- Assembly can be a bit of a hassle
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of a Key Organizer
- Streamlined. If you hate carrying bulky keychains in your pocket or purse, a key organizer is a great solution. They are often sleek and minimalistic, making them more comfortable to hold, carry, and use.
- Eliminate noise and damage. A typical keychain haphazardly holds your keys and can be noisy while you’re moving around. It can also poke holes in your pants or bags or scratch other items you keep nearby, such as a smartphone. A key organizer can prevent that from happening.
- More comfortable than a key ring. Most people don't enjoy the feeling of loose keys in their pockets. Most key organizers are compact, so they take up less space and just feel better all around.
Types of Key Organizers
Basic Key Organizer
If you're a no-frills, basic kind of person, you may want a key organizer that does only that: organizes keys. These devices are designed solely to store keys and have no other purpose. They're simple yet effective and get the job done. However, you may have to carry other EDC items separately as a result, which can add bulk to your pockets.
Multifunctional Key Organizer
Many brands of key organizers come with extra accessories. This can include bottle openers, built-in tools, LED lights, or a USB. Some feature smart technology, which enables you to track misplaced keys or even a lost smartphone. These key organizers are quite versatile and combine several functions into one device, which is very convenient.
KeySmart, based in Elk Grove Village, Ill., was launched on Kickstarter in 2013 and earned over $329,000 before growing into a company that now offers over 50 products to its customers, including wallets, backpacks, and more. We recommend the KeySmart Pro - Key Holder w LED & Tile Smart Technology.
Navy veteran Josh Downes founded Keyport in 2005. A biker, Downes wanted to find a solution to keep his keys from scratching his motorcycle and making noise while he was riding. Check out the KeySmart Pro - Key Holder w LED & Tile Smart Technology.
Based in Savannah, Ga., KeyBar was founded in 2014 by a man who wanted to stop the noise of his jangling key chain. Assisted by his wife, the couple created the pocket key organizer known simply as the KeyBar | Everyday Carry Compact Key Holder.
Key Organizer Pricing
- $15-$50: Some key organizers are very budget-friendly, while others are a little more expensive. Those on the lower end of the spectrum tend to have fewer features, while premium options can accommodate more keys and may come with smart technology.
Ease of Use
Not all key organizers are the same as some are easier to use than others. Check to see how easy it is to remove and use a key from the gadget. For example, is it so tight that it’s tough to operate?. Also, look for organizers that are less likely to loosen over time because this can be annoying if you constantly need to tighten the screws.
Key organizers are made of a variety of materials. Some are built with aluminum, brass, copper, or titanium, and they may include stainless steel hardware. Other models may feature leather construction. Still, more may be made of carbon fiber or even plastic. Some materials are more durable than others, and some are pricier as a result.
Key organizers typically hold between four to 20 keys, depending on the model. Determine how many keys you carry daily (and add in how many you may add on in the future) before making a purchase. If you carry less than 10, you don't need one that can accommodate 20. It’s better, however, to have more key slots than not enough.
- Setup. Many key organizers require a little bit of effort to set them up properly. It depends on the model as well as the number of keys you plan on attaching to the device. Make sure to choose one that's not too difficult to adjust to your needs. One way to find out is by reading user reviews.
- Comfort. If you plan on carrying the key organizer in your pocket, obviously you want one that feels comfortable without any awkward angles. Also, check how it feels in your hands while operating it. Does it feel smooth and streamlined? Some products are lighter weight than others, which can also make a difference.
Best Key Organizers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Most key organizers can't accommodate thick plastic keys or certain key fobs that are used to start your vehicle. Unless you drive a newer car with keyless entry, a pocket key organizer may not be convenient for your application.
- Look at the specs to determine how long the key organizer is and the longest-length keys it can accommodate.
- If you don't plan on carrying your keys with you, you may want to consider a key cabinet. Many options are lockable, so you can keep your keys secure. They're great for property managers, repair shops, etc.
Q: What is the best way to organize keys?
The obvious first step is to put aside any keys you don't use and only keep the important ones on hand. Next, invest in a key organizer, so you can keep them together in a neat and tiny package.
Q: What is the average capacity of a key organizer?
Typically, a key organizer can hold 10-12 regular-sized keys.
Q: What other benefits do key organizers have apart from holding and organizing keys?
Some key holders have built-in tools, such as screwdrivers, as well as LED lights, bottle openers, and other useful components that come in handy in certain situations.
Our pick for the best key organizer is the CARBOCAGE KEYCAGE - The Smart Carbon Key Organizer. The German-made device is constructed of carbon fiber and stainless steel and can hold up to 14 keys. It's well-engineered, easy to use, and looks pretty cool. For a more budget-friendly option, consider the EM Compact Key Holder Premium.