The Best Self Balance Boards (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
The self balance boards that make having fun on a hoverboard easy
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON December 1, 2020
There’s no denying that hoverboards are incredibly fun. These hands-free toys are exciting for both children and adults. They give you the chance to glide, spin, and roll anywhere using nothing but your own balance and body movement. However, there can be one downside to riding a hoverboard: trying to balance. If you don’t have the best balance, you can easily fall off. But there is an alternative. You need a self-balance board or a hoverboard that can help you balance with ease. A self-balancing hoverboard can take the hard work out of riding and staying upright, giving you way more fun than bumps and bruises. Wondering which self-balancing hoverboards are the best of the best? Check out our picks for the top options in the guide below.
A durable, capable, and just plain fun self-balancing hoverboard.
- Equipped with rubber wheels for better traction and grip
- Wheels light up and flash as you ride or play music
- Quality speakers allow riders to play media from a smartphone
- Battery lifespan can decrease
- Warranty is limited
An easy-to-ride, very stable, and affordable option that kids and adults can ride.
- Stability makes it easy for kids and first-time hoverboard riders to learn
- Powered by dual 300-watt motors
- Affordably priced for its good quality
- Speakers may cut in and out
- Battery only lasts about 1.5 hours
A high-quality, feature-filled choice for more experienced hoverboard riders.
- Large pneumatic tires make for very smooth riding
- Challenges more experienced riders and adults for a unique ride
- Tough enough to roll over grass, dirt roads, and even small rocks
- Even with self-balancing, this board takes time to master
- May have difficulty connecting to the app
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Self Balance Boards
- Easier to learn and ride. Self-balancing hoverboards are far easier to master, and you won’t have to struggle as much to learn how to properly balance in order to operate the board.
- Suitable for all ages. No matter your age, anyone can have fun on a self-balance board. These hoverboards require less skill, and they can be a great option for both adult beginners and younger riders.
- Eco-friendly. You can ride one of these electric hoverboards without worrying about any environmental damage. With no need for fuel, self-balance boards run on electricity and a rechargeable battery, making them a great eco-friendly choice.
- Great versatility. You can ride a self-balancing hoverboard anywhere. You can take it onto your neighborhood sidewalks, city streets, or anywhere else you want to ride. Some are even designed for all types of terrain, meaning they can handle grass, gravel, and more.
Types of Self Balance Boards
The most common — and most popular — type of self-balance board is the self-balancing hoverboard. These are the most basic kind, featuring two wheels and a platform for your feet. Designed to ride over surfaces like carpet, hardwood, and smooth, paved roads, these boards can be used indoors or outdoors. They also typically include a few smart or fun design features, like Bluetooth connectivity, LED headlights, or light-up wheels.
All-Terrain Self-Balancing Hoverboards
An all-terrain self-balancing board is a more specialized variety. This type of hoverboard is built to be extra tough and extra capable. All-terrain self-balance boards typically feature larger, wider wheels for increased stability, even on uneven surfaces. Those wheels will have thick, deep tread for traveling over mud, loose dirt, and other types of terrain. You can think of an all-terrain board as something of an off-roading board; it’s more durable, built for heavy-duty situations.
Hover-1 is a brand that’s dedicated to electric rides. From electric skateboards to electric scooters to a vast and varied selection of electric hoverboards, Hover-1 offers plenty of cool, innovative ways to get around. The Hover-1 Titan Electric Self-Balancing Hoverboard and the Hover-1 Ultra Electric Self-Balancing Hoverboard are two great examples.
Tomoloo is one of the leading brands in the hoverboard industry. As one of the first to manufacture a self-balancing board, you’ll find innovative and high-tech options like the Tomoloo Two-Wheel Self-Balancing Hoverboard and the Tomoloo Self-Balancing Hoverboard with Bluetooth Speaker and LED Lights that combine a whole lot of fun with technology.
Self Balance Board Pricing
- Under $100: You’ll find a small selection of hoverboards priced at less than $100. However, these boards will be lower-quality, and they may only be suited for children, not adults.
- $100 to $200: Most self-balancing hoverboards fall between $100 and $200 in price. You’ll discover a great selection of boards and nifty features without spending too much.
- $200 and up: At this price, you’ll find premium self-balance boards with all of the coolest features. Specialty boards with more capability, like all-terrain hoverboards, also cost upwards of $200.
The wheels of any self-balancing board are critical. They affect multiple aspects of the hoverboard, including what kinds of surfaces you can ride over, how stable you’ll be, and how well the self-balancing feature works. Thicker, larger wheels tend to offer more stability. Tilt sensors are also typically located in the wheels, which helps control the self-balance functionality.
The speed of any self-balancing hoverboard is determined by its motors. Some boards use single motors, while tougher, heavier-duty versions — or even more premium-level options — may feature two motors. The more wattage or power the motors deliver, the faster you’ll be able to go. On average, self-balancing boards can reach top speeds of between 6 and 8 miles per hour.
Range, which is dependent on a hoverboard’s battery, is also a very important feature. The range determines how far you can go on your board before you need to recharge. Hoverboards aren’t really meant to travel long distances; they’re better for short rides and brief fun. Your typical self-balance board will get around 7 miles per charge, while more advanced boards may be able to travel 10 to 15 miles.
- Weight Capacity. Hoverboards are pretty durable, and they’re designed to carry both kids and adults. But it’s always important to check the weight capacity before buying any board to ensure it’ll hold your weight and be safe to use.
- Certification. Before you trust a hoverboard’s claims of safety, make sure to double-check that it really meets safety standards (specifically, that it’s UL-2272 certified for the board and UL-2271 certified for the battery). It’s also a good idea to see if the hoverboard is facing any recalls.
- Charging Time. If you’re thinking your self-balance board will recharge in no time like your smartphone or tablet, think again. These boards tend to take about three hours on average. You can consider the battery capacity before buying to determine just how lengthy the charging process will need to be.
Best Self Balance Boards Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- While many hoverboards can be used by both kids and adults, always double-check that your self-balance board is certified safe for younger riders.
- Consider which additional features are most important to you. Hoverboards can include everything from LED headlights to Bluetooth connectivity to speakers that play music.
- Standard hoverboard wheels measure 6.5 inches in diameter. Wider, bigger wheels like 7.5 or 8-inch varieties, can offer more stability.
Q: What is the best self-balancing hoverboard?
In our opinion, the Tomoloo Two-Wheel Self-Balancing Hoverboard is the best self-balancing hoverboard. It includes a wide range of features, is easy for kids and adults, and offers great fun.
Q: What’s the Self Balance Board’s top speed?
The top speed varies from hoverboard to hoverboard. On average, you’ll be able to hit speeds of 6 to 8 miles per hour with a basic self-balance board. Premium models may be able to reach 10 to 15 miles per hour.
Q: Are all hoverboards self-balancing?
While many hoverboards are self-balancing, not every model will offer this capability. A self-balance board needs special sensors, so you’ll want to read the product description carefully to make sure the one you’re buying is actually self-balancing.
The Tomoloo Two-Wheel Self-Balancing Hoverboard is an all-around excellent self-balance board with easy functionality and a lot of fun features. If you want to get a quality board at a lower price, the Lieagle Self Balancing Hoverboard is another great option. Which self-balance hoverboard is catching your attention?