The Best All Terrain Hoverboards (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
These awesome hoverboards will glide over even the toughest terrain
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON March 29, 2021
Hoverboards are one of the coolest forms of transportation you can try right now. Straight out of futuristic films, hoverboards are innovative, high-tech, and just plain awesome. While today’s hoverboards might not hover above the ground just yet, they do provide a fun way to ride around outdoors — or even inside the house. With a set of wheels and a gyroscope, a hoverboard lets you control your speed and movement all by balancing and leaning. Some hoverboards are even equipped to go “off-roading,” meaning they’re tough enough to travel over rough, bumpy terrain. If you’re looking for an all terrain hoverboard, you have a ton of options to choose from. Check out our picks for the best all terrain hoverboards right here.
A fast, far-ranging hoverboard that’s water-resistant and sturdy enough to tackle any environment.
- Features sturdy, stable 6.5-inch wheels that can tackle hills
- Rated IPX4 for water resistance
- Can change your skill setting and speed with a smartphone app
- Board can be shaky on uneven terrain
- The body of the hoverboard is plastic
An affordably priced hoverboard with rugged wheels that feature great grip.
- The strong exterior shell can survive impacts
- Equipped with a smart self-balancing system
- Tough tread works well on many surfaces
- Best for mild terrain, may not work well on extremely rough surfaces
- Battery charge can weaken with use
A high-quality, highly rugged hoverboard that’s specifically built for the toughest terrains.
- Features dual motors with 80 percent more speed
- Performance wheels deliver the ultimate level of grip
- Bigger 8.5-inch wheels offer stability even on uneven terrain
- Price is very high
- Very costly to repair if it breaks
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of All Terrain Hoverboards
- Highly capable. These off-roading ready hoverboards are more capable than your basic hoverboard. Equipped with tougher, bigger wheels and better tread, you’ll be able to tackle inclines, ride over uneven and rough surfaces, and simply do more on your board.
- More speed and power. All terrain hoverboards typically include more powerful motors that can deliver higher watts of power. This means you can move at faster speeds and ride with more power — the perfect combination when you’re facing obstacles, inclines, and rough roads.
- Versatile. You can use an all terrain hoverboard for so many different purposes. They can be a fun toy for kids and adults alike, but they can also be a smooth and speedy way to commute to work or ride around town.
- Highly efficient. Forget about filling up a gas tank or using your muscles to power your ride. A hoverboard is wonderfully efficient and runs on a rechargeable battery. This means you’ll be kind to the environment and be able to easily recharge your board whenever needed.
Types of All Terrain Hoverboards
There’s only one type of all terrain hoverboards: the self-balancing hoverboard. Pretty much every one of the hoverboards you’ll find today features two wheels, one or two motors, and a self-balancing gyroscope. This means that when you stand on your all terrain hoverboard, the board will help you stay balanced — and upright.
Self-balancing all terrain hoverboards are easy to learn and master. You may need to do a little more work to figure out the right balance for rough terrain or other challenging paths like hills. But overall, these hoverboards make achieving balance a breeze.
Hover-1 is a company that builds all kinds of electric products, from hoverboards to electric scooters to skateboards. With a wide selection of impressive hoverboards, Hover-1 builds tough all-terrain models, made with high-quality parts, and built to last throughout many adventures — like the Hover-1 Hoverboard and Hover-1 Chrome Electric Hoverboard.
If you want the ultimate all terrain hoverboard with unmatched durability, you’ll love the brand EpikGo. Founded in Silicon Valley, EpikGo creates hoverboards with the latest technology and the ability to ride over grass, sand, dirt, and even water. Products like the EpikGo Sport All Terrain and the EpikGo Self Balancing All-Terrain Hoverboard can tackle everything you encounter.
As one of the top electric “e-ridables” brands, Swagtron offers everything from cool and innovative hoverboards to e-bikes, electric skateboards, and more. And Swagtron’s all terrain hoverboards are reasonably priced yet offer the capability you need to go off-roading with models like the Swagtron T580 App-Enabled Bluetooth Hoverboard.
All Terrain Hoverboard Pricing
- $100 to $250: All terrain hoverboards within this price range offer solid value and great functionality. You’ll find affordable options with benefits like water resistance and effective motors.
- $300 and up: The most durable and highest-quality all terrain hoverboards tend to fall into this higher-end price range. You’ll find boards with multiple motors, impressive technology, and long-term durability.
While fun might be the first thing you think about when you’re buying an all terrain hoverboard, safety is far more important. And it’s one of the first features you’ll want to look at while shopping. You want an all terrain hoverboard that’s well-made and won’t pose electrical dangers. UL-2272 certified boards are the best choice; they meet all necessary safety measures and have undergone safety testing.
Speed and Power
No one wants a hoverboard that rides slowly — so make sure you consider speed and power. Most all terrain hoverboards stay within similar speed ranges, but you’ll find models that are as slow as 2 miles per hour and as fast as 12 miles per hour. The motor also delivers the power necessary to reach faster speeds, so take a close look at a hoverboard’s power to see how speedy it’ll be.
One of the biggest frustrations of electric hoverboards is the battery. The battery determines how far you can travel and how long you’ll be able to ride. A better, more efficient battery life will give you more flexibility from your all terrain board. Typically, all terrain hoverboards can run for about two hours on a full charge at a high speed. Battery life should be a key feature while you’re shopping.
Every hoverboard comes with wheels — and those wheels determine just how good a board is at traveling over different types of terrain. An all terrain hoverboard should have sturdy, durable wheels. Larger wheels are also a good sign that you’ll get extra stability. A deep, tough tread will help improve off-road performance too.
- Weight Limit. All terrain hoverboards have weight limits, which control how heavy the rider can be. Average boards can support about 200 pounds, but there are bulkier, stronger models that can support as much as 420 pounds. Double-check a board’s weight limit to ensure it’ll work for you.
- Portability. While it’s easy to assume that every all terrain hoverboard is portable, the overall weight of the board can make a significant difference. Look for models that weigh between 20 and 30 pounds to find a highly portable option you can carry anywhere (even when the battery dies).
- All Terrain Capability. All terrain hoverboards are designed to ride over all kinds of surfaces and obstacles, but some models are better — and more capable — than others. Consider whether you need a board that can do it all, or if capabilities like riding over sand and grass are more important than tackling hills, dirt, and gravel.
Best All Terrain Hoverboards Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- The wattage of a hoverboard’s motor will determine how fast you can travel. It can also affect how strong your hoverboard is, especially when you’re climbing hills and inclines.
- Most all terrain hoverboards feature sturdy wheels but always look closely at the tread. Deeper tread can be a sign of better stability, especially on surfaces like gravel and mud.
- All terrain hoverboards don’t require much maintenance, but the battery does need regular charging. A long battery life lets you ride longer distances without needing two to three hours to charge.
Q: What is the best all terrain hoverboard?
Our pick for the best all terrain hoverboard is the Hover-1 Hoverboard. It offers a host of great benefits, including a top speed of 9 miles per hour, a 9-mile range, and an efficient battery. It’s also built tough, with water-resistance and LED headlights for extra outdoor perks.
Q: Are terrain hoverboards safe to use?
Most all terrain hoverboards are perfectly safe to use right out of the box. However, you’ll want to look for a UL-2272 certification. This safety certification means you can trust that the hoverboard has been tested to prove that it’s safe.
Q: What is the longest-lasting terrain hoverboard?
There are quite a few highly durable and long-lasting all terrain hoverboard options. Some of our top picks are the EpikGo Sport All Terrain, which is a premium board, and the Xprit All Terrain Hoverboard with Bluetooth Speaker. Both of these hoverboards will offer miles — and months — of adventure.
The Hover-1 Hoverboard is an all-around fantastic choice for an all terrain hoverboard with a mix of speed, long-lasting battery charge, and outdoor-ready construction. The Uni-Sun Self Balancing Hoverboard is a great value buy, with a lower price and solid quality. Which all terrain hoverboard will be your top choice?