The Best Longboard Bearings (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
The best longboard bearings every skater should consider
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON December 9, 2020
Every skateboarder has their favorites parts and pieces, from customized decks to specific trucks to specially selected wheels. Of course, you can’t forget about the bearings. Your skateboard’s bearings are essential, allowing you to ride smoothly and fast. Bearings are the small ports that give your board’s wheels their spin. Bearings come in various sizes, designs, and even materials like steel, ceramic, and other metals — and picking the right ones for your longboard is critical if you want to keep riding smoothly. Which ones are the best for longboard skaters?
You’ll want to choose a high-quality, highly durable set of bearings. And if you’re looking for a quality set of bearings for your skateboard, check out our top picks for the best longboard bearings right here.
A complete set of bearings, washers, spacers, and speed cream for speedy riding.
- Eliminates the need to buy additional parts
- Rubber shield keeps bearings clean
- Dramatically improved performance and speed
Some bearings may have an internal drag
Inspect on arrival to ensure they’re authentic
Low-cost longboard bearings that offer great sealing and smooth rolling.
- Double sealed with rubber to lock in lubrication and lock out debris
- Long spin duration helps enhance speed
- Perform well right out of the package.
- Factory lubricant is very greasy and can gunk up bearings
- Includes a metal cage which makes repair difficult
Designed for precision and racing speeds, these longboard bearings deliver ultra-fast lubricant and components.
- Pre-lubricated with Yellow Jacket’s Ultra-Fast Lube
- Backed by a money-back guarantee
- Made with high-quality metals and high-speed nylon
- Bearings require time to break in
- Can be loud and loose on some wheels
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Longboard Bearing
- Keep your wheels in place. Though they’re a very small component, your bearings are the part that attaches your skateboard’s wheels to the axles. They’re key in getting your wheels rolling.
- Universally sized. You don’t have to worry about finding the perfect fit — longboard bearings are all made in the same size, and they’ll fit any skateboard wheels you want to use.
- Increase your speed. If you want to pick up speed and fly while you’re skating, your bearings are key. Longboard bearings help you skate more smoothly and at faster speeds, giving you more freedom and flexibility with each ride.
Types of Longboard Bearings
Standard longboard bearings are the same as any other skateboard bearings. You could use them on any board of any length. You’ll need two bearings per individual wheel, and the bearings can be installed alone. Standard bearings are typically made out of steel or ceramic to achieve a smooth, speedy ride. If you’d like, you can add a bearing spacer — which fits between the bearings and your wheels — once your bearing is in place.
Built-in bearings are more complex and feature more moving parts than standard bearings. In addition to a basic (or standard) bearing, these parts also have a built-in spacer and speed rings. This means you don’t have to add any extra parts of pieces to achieve the right speed and smoothness; they have everything you might need, built right in. Built-in bearings tend to have a faster rolling speed, and they also make it easier to swap out your bearings.
As a leader in the skateboard industry, Bones has been creating skateboard bearings since 1981. With a reputation for quality, performance, and durability, this brand’s bearings are built to ride fast and last you throughout many rides. A premium choice, products like Bones Reds Bearings offer a professional-level ride for any longboard owner.
With a 100 percent customer satisfaction guarantee behind every product, Yellow Jacket makes some seriously trustworthy longboard bearings. Yellow Jacket bearings are designed to offer race-level performance at an affordable price any skater can afford. You’ll glide and reach higher speeds with products like the Yellow Jacket Pro Longboard Bearings.
Zealous takes a more unique approach to create lasting longboard bearings. Featuring rubber seals and custom additions like a special nanoceramic lubricant, this brand’s bearings are more advanced and more specialized than your basic skateboard bearings. Products like Zealous Steel Bearings for Skateboards and Longboards help reduce friction so you get a seamlessly smooth ride every time.
Longboard Bearing Pricing
- Under $10: Longboard bearings sold for $10 or less are typically value products. They offer enough bearings to equip all four wheels, but these bearings may not be as smooth-rolling or as durable over the long term.
- $11 to $20: Most bearings fall within this price range. You’ll get a solid mix of good quality and lasting durability, and you can find both metal and ceramic bearings for $20 or less.
- $20 and up: Some of the most specialized, advanced, or uniquely designed longboard bearings are priced at over $20. These bearings feature different perks or design features that may positively shape your riding.
The tolerance level of longboard bearings is measured on the ABEC rating scale. A high ABEC rating means you’ll get smooth, well-fitted results from a particular set of bearings. Lower ABEC ratings may mean your board doesn’t ride as smoothly or as quickly. The ABEC rating also tells you how your bearings will affect your speed, how well bearings can tolerate weight and more.
You’ll find bearings made out of a few different materials, and each material offers its benefits. Steel bearings are popular because they’re elastic and long-lasting; they can resist rust and corrosion too. Ceramic is also a popular choice because these bearings are strong and very smooth. Hybrid bearings made with silicon nitride and ceramic are also an option, and these are made with the toughest bearing material possible.
Some longboard bearings come pre-lubricated — and that can offer you a great advantage. Pre-lubricated bearings help improve your bearings’ performance, and it can help you notice a difference in your ride as soon as the bearings are in place. It can also ensure you get minimal friction right out of the package.
- Bearing Closures. You should take a look at the bearing closures included with any longboard bearings you’re considering. The closure is what protects your bearings from debris and keeps them well-lubricated. Rubber seals in bearing closures are considered the best at preventing dirt and debris from collecting inside, while metal and plastic tend to be less effective.
- Spacers. If you install your new bearings and notice that the bearings and axles don’t fit together perfectly, consider adding spacers. Precise measurements aren’t always common with skateboard parts, and spacers can help you achieve a tighter, less wobbly fit even when you’re using parts from different skate companies or brands.
- Cleaning. If you want your longboard bearings to continue performing well for a long time to come, it’s important to clean them every so often. This ensures you’ll get maximum performance and the smoothest rolling possible.
- Lubricant. Certain types of bearings require certain types of lubricants. Consider what your bearings are made of and look for lubricants that won’t strip away the bearings or cause potential problems. You want to use lubricants with oil or grease for the best results.
Best Longboard Bearings Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Built-in bearings are easy to install and don’t require you to buy additional parts and pieces. These are a great low-maintenance option for longboarders who don’t want to fuss with bearings and parts.
- Good lubrication can make a world of difference when it comes to bearings and speed. Make sure you’re properly lubricating your bearings regularly to maintain great speed.
- If you opt for a standard 608 bearing size, your bearings will be interchangeable. This means you can use them for both longboards and skateboards.
Q: Do longboards use the same bearings as skateboards?
Yes, longboards and regular skateboards can use the same bearings.
Q: How to clean and provide lubrication to a bearing?
To clean your longboard bearings, you’ll need to remove them from your wheels. Use a rag to wipe down each bearing, then let them soak in an alcohol-based cleaning solution. Rinse the bearings and their associated parts and dry them. Then, you’re ready to apply lubricant. Apply a few drops of lubricant and rub the substance all around each bearing with your fingers.
Q: What are the fastest longboard bearings?
Longboard bearings with a high ABEC rating tend to offer the most speed. The higher the ABEC rating is for a set of bearings, the smoother and more durable they are — and that can result in increased speed for you. Look for a seven or nine ABEC rating to find the fastest options.
When it comes to the best of the bunch, it’s hard to top the Bones Reds Bearings With Spacers and Washers, which are quality longboard bearings that include all the components you need to ride smoothly. If you’re looking for solid quality at a lower price, the Besiy Bearings offer great value for your money. Let us know in the comments which longboard bearings you’ve found to be the best for your board.