The Best Gas Can Spouts (Review & Buying Guide) in 2022
Improve your fuel container in one simple step with these fan-favorite gas can spouts.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON December 8, 2021
If you’re tired of smelling like gasoline after filling up your generator, transferring fuel between two vehicles, or any other activity that requires you to pour out gas carefully, you aren’t alone. Fuel transfer can be tricky, and it often leads to spills and splashes that get everywhere (including onto you). The best way to make pouring fuel easier? A quality gas can spout.
The importance of choosing a reliable spout is about more than convenience; it’s a matter of safety. This flammable material needs to be stored, transported, and transferred carefully. A good spout can ensure the even flow of the fuel from place to place, stop spills, and preserve fuel. We’ve rounded up some of the best gas can spouts you can buy right here.
A good spout can ensure the even flow of the fuel from place to place, stopping spills and preserving fuel. To get these benefits, you need to seek out the best gas can spouts on the market. So, to assist, we’ve listed the top selections along with some tips and tricks on finding the right option for you.
With a flexible design and lengthy reach, this set of three spouts and caps makes it easy to replace your fuel transfer setup.
- Made out of dense HDPE plastic.
- Fits onto a standard 5-gallon gas can.
- Comes with backup spouts and hardware.
- Caps are all the same size, restricting compatibility.
- Limited parts of the spout are rigid, reducing its utility.
This affordably-priced gas can spout is made in America and has an eight-inch spout extension for hard-to-reach tanks.
- Constructed of extra-dense material.
- Fast flow.
- Moves smoothly at any angle.
- Vent is made of thin material
- Temperature sensitive.
- May wear out sooner than other brands.
Coming in a set of three spouts, this selection includes all the hardware needed to overhaul your gas can
It comes with caps, vents, and stoppers.
- Made out of sturdy and durable material.
- Compatible with most standard gas cans. Bends to optimize your reach.
- Caps are vulnerable to impact damage.
- Requires the user to place the lid carefully when installing the spout.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Gas Can Spout
- Prevents spills when pouring fuel. A good gas can spout is designed to limit spills when you empty the can. Spouts are thick enough to provide for a quick flow while the vent at the back prevents pressure from accruing.
- Helps pour entire container contents. Longer spouts are good at reach, and by bending them, you can get the necessary angle to empty the container without spilling. This lets you use all the fuel you’re holding without risking splashes on your pants or surroundings.
- Good for the environment. By preventing leaks and spills, you limit the waste of gasoline. Whether through fumes or sloshes, putting gas in the air or soil isn’t great for the ecosystem. A good gas spout helps you reduce your carbon footprint.
- Prevents evaporation. The fumes of gasoline are both flammable and toxic when they reach a certain concentration. By sealing tightly and remaining tough against cracks and punctures, a quality spout can keep you and those around you safe.
- Durable and highly compatible. Spouts are generally compatible with five-gallon containers. They are meant to last over long periods; so, when you find a good one, you can hold onto it for quite a while.
Types of Gas Can Spouts
The most common type of gas can spout is designed with a flexible shaft. These spouts come in a variety of material densities. You can get flexible spouts that are wide and thinner models that encourage a slower flow. The flexibility lets you reach further and enables you to pour the gas while holding the fuel can at a variety of different angles.
While not extremely prevalent on the market, rigid gas can spouts are designed to give you a quick flow of gasoline. The thick polymer is usually fairly wide, though the reach of the rigid shaft varies. In most cases, rigid-type gas can spouts incorporate a bend. This is to let you pour out the last of the gasoline without risking spills.
With roots in Ayrshire, Scotland, this company focuses on creating high-quality spouts that are made specifically to prevent spills. Selling products internationally, Super Spout products are meant to work on fuel containers of all sizes. Among its leading offerings is the Super Spout Universal Gas Can Spout.
This popular brand has retail store locations throughout the Eastern United States. It is focused on providing a wide range of hardware including fuel containers, spouts, and attachment components. Meant to be compatible with most major brands, one of its most sought after products is the Ez-Pour Replacement Gas Can Spout.
Gas Can Spout Pricing
- Under $20: Spouts in this price range are usually flexible, though you can find rigid options as well. Most sets include vents and caps, though likely come as a single instead of a set.
- $20 and up: Within this price range, you will find sets of spouts that usually come in threes. Generally, they include all the hardware you need for capping and ventilation.
Perhaps the most essential part of the gas can spout is the shaft itself. This long tube is constructed out of polymer material for its inert properties. Either flexible or rigid in design, the spout is the part through which the gas flows. High-quality spouts balance polymer density with a wide opening to improve flow speed. The shaft should be resistant to abrasion and not crack or puncture easily.
Another critical part of the fuel can spout is the gas cap. This is the part that connects the spout to the actual gas can. While most spouts fit into any cap, this is the component that needs to be compatible with the size of the gas can’s opening. It should create a tight seal, both on the spout and the can. This is a matter of the shape and the threading on the cap itself.
This component is necessary to fuel storage. It attaches to the shaft and features a long filament of plastic that connects the lid to the spout to prevent it from getting lost. When you’ve finished pouring out the fuel, the stopper is the part that prevents evaporation. A necessary feature to safety and air quality (as well as fuel waste, the spout lid should be durable and fit well.
The final feature of any spout set is the vent. Though many gas cans already have one, most spouts come with a vent. You attach this to the opening at the back (or make a new one). It prevents pressure from building up and ensures that you get a smooth and even flow when you pour out the fuel.
- Compatibility: When you go to choose your gas can spout replacement, determine if the cap needs changing. This is common when the gas can and spout both cracks. If it does, you’ll need something with proper width and threading design. Be sure that the spout will fit with the opening on your gas can.
- Material Density: The next thing to look at is the thickness of the polymer used in the construction of the spout. Since plastic is inert, it is the go-to material. However, the density varies. Something denser will be harder and thus more resistant to temperature and impact.
- Type: You’ll want to consider whether a rigid or flexible spout will work better for your needs. Chances are, you’ve used the gas can before and know what angle you’ll be pouring from. With this information, you can decide what style of spout works better for you.
- Color Coding: Some spout sets come with caps that vary in color. It’s useful to get these if you plan to replace the spouts on multiple containers. Instead of risking pouring diesel when you need gasoline, you can color-code the cans. It helps when you use different fuels and solutions ranging from injector cleaner to plain old water.
Best Gas Can Spouts Reviews & Recommendations 2021
How We Selected the Products
In order to make our product picks for the best gas can spouts available, we took a look at all of the different types of spouts available online. We compared various spouts, both flexible and rigid in design, and their materials to find the most durable and convenient to use. We specifically sought out gas can spouts that could last a long time while still preventing leaks and problems like cracks, punctures, and overall weakness with use. Plus, we looked for weather-durable materials that could handle changing temperature and temperature extremes to keep your fuel safe while stored. We also considered the ease of use of each spout, paying attention to details like the pouring angle, the flow, and the width of the spout.
- Check the compatibility beforehand if you plan to replace the cap as well as the spout.
- If you can, switch out both the cap and the spout to optimize the seal.
- Be sure that, if your gas can doesn't have one already, that you get a spout with a vent.
- If you change contents, be sure to clean out the container, spout, and anything else that came in contact with the material like your oil tray.
- Should your spout incur damage, throw it away and replace it with a good model.
- Close the stopper at the end of the spout every time you are finished using it.
- Store your gas can in a safe place, away from potential impact.
- Keep your gas can out of the sun since it can impact the fuel as well as the spout quality.
- Seal the cap in place when the container is clean and dry to ensure a tight seal.
- Gasoline fumes are both toxic and flammable in high concentrations to ensure that the seal is in good tact every time.
Q. Is it safe to drive with a gas can in the car?
It’s not generally viewed as safe to drive with a gas can in the vehicle. This is because any small leak in either the spout or the gas can result in fumes building up in the vehicle. Since this is a fire risk once it reaches a certain concentration, it is safer to avoid driving with a filled-up gas can.
Q. Are gas can spouts universal?
While the spout is almost always universally compatible, the cap that attaches it to the gas can and completes the seal is not. If you can reuse your existing cap, the spout will easily fall into place. However, if your cap has taken on damage, you will need to check the fit of the spout and the hardware included in the set.
Q. Where can I best store my gas container?
The best place to store your gas container is in a cool, dark environment given its flammable nature. Find a space where it won’t encounter impact and that’s out of the way from your other tools, since you don’t want your catalytic converter bumping into your gas can.
Now that you know what to look for in a top-tier gas can spout, you can find the best gas can spouts for your needs. It could be the Kool Products Gas Can Spout or the value of the EC Depot Universal Spout. There’s an option for everyone.
Do you have some gas can experience? Share your story in the comments below. Happy pouring!