The Best Double-Sided Mounting Tape (Review & Buying Guide) in 2022
Protect your walls when hanging decorations with double-sided mounting tape.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
There are many reasons why you might be hesitant to make unnecessary holes in your walls at your home or office. The good news is that there’s an alternative option: double-sided mounting tape. This tape can change how you decorate your home because you no longer need to worry about filling and painting over nail holes in the walls. Some double-sided mounting tapes are only for indoor use, while other brands can be used inside or outdoors. Some tape can hold five pounds, while others can hold an impressive 90 pounds.
Depending on what you need to mount, the size will dictate which tape is best. Make sure your tape bonds to the surface you’re working with and that it can hold the weight of what you’re hanging. If you do that, then you’re ready to consider some of the best double-sided mounting tape available. Our breakdown details everything you need to know about finding a good-quality mounting tape — without breaking your picture frames or peeling your paint.
Scotch Indoor Double Sided Mounting Tape
Featuring a full 350 inches of tape, this durable mounting tool is designed to hold up to 15 pounds. It works on all types of surfaces, including painted drywall.
- Can withstand high temperatures
- Able to hold heavy loads
- Roll includes a large supply
- Creates a permanent bond
- Vulnerable to cold weather
- Only works indoors
- Will leave behind a residue when it is removed
3M VHB Tape
Ideal for smaller projects, this tape clings to all types of surfaces. It’s strong enough to support lightweight decorations.
- Comes at an affordable price
- Clear tape won’t leave a stain
- Made of durable acrylic
- Dries right away
- Only includes 15 feet of tape
- May leave behind residue
- Won’t result in waterproof seals.
elasy Double-Sided Mounting Tape
Coming with 20 feet of tape meant for indoor use, this mounting tape uses powerful gel to grip surfaces. It is removable, letting you keep walls clean and undamaged.
- Won’t result in residue on the walls
- Lightweight and thin tape
- Works on multiple surfaces including stone and glass
- Can lose hold in cold weather
- Meant for indoor applications
- Only able to hold 2.2 pounds of weight
Benefits of Double-Sided Mounting Tape
- Creates a better hold. Unlike folding conventional tape, double-sided mounting tape's holding power is far more substantial because it sticks both to the wall and the object being mounted.
- Improved aesthetics. Instead of taping something to the wall or attaching it with bulky layers, double-sided mounting tape makes installation seamless. The mounting structure is invisible, so all the attention stays on the mounted piece.
- Replaces nails and screws. Without double-sided tape, to hang items— light or heavy—you would need to make a hole in the wall. This mounting tool can help you avoid permanent damage to the wall while still getting mounting convenience.
- Can create a tight seal. If humidity or dust is an issue, having a tight seal is important. If water creeps behind the tape, it will quickly lose the ability to hold on tightly. Double-sided tape adheres to both sides, so you don’t have to worry about this kind of wear and tear.
- Limits damage from vibrations. If you have noisy neighbors or shared walls, you know that vibrations can knock over a picture frame. But, if you mount it with double-sided tape, that force gets dampened by the adherent and prevents it from falling.
- Works on versatile services. Unlike screws that need to be drilled right into the wall (especially if it’s concrete), double-sided tape sticks to just about everything. This helps you to avoid a whole world of stress and mess when hanging your things.
Types of Double-Sided Mounting Tape
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
This type of mounting tape is substantially heavier than other models. It sets itself apart in durability since the thick material (usually acrylic) is more rigid and can generally support more weight. Typically, thick double-sided tape will withstand the elements better and is more likely to work in outdoor situations. As an example, thick tape tends to handle like duct tape and is usually easy to tear.
Thin mounting tape is most often used for hanging smaller and lighter weight objects. Because it is thinner, the tape tends to be more malleable and elastic. While it cannot support as much weight per square inch, thinner tapes tend to be easier to maintain. They remove more readily and are less likely to leave behind a residue.
With roots in Ohio, Gorilla opened its doors in 2005, focusing on crafting quality adherents and durable tape. It has since become one of the most reputable names in the tape and glue industry. A leading selection is the Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape.
Known for its diverse products that range from industrial supplies to chargers to tapes, eBoot focuses on providing high-quality items that are meant to last. One of its top-rated offerings is the eBoot White Paper Tape.
Opening its doors in 2007, XFasten originated as a purveyor of home renovation supplies, including arts and crafts, offices, and DIY projects. It continues to be a popular business, with one of its top offerings being the XFasten Double-Sided Woodworking Tape.
Known for its wide range of tapes and adherents, Melca continues to manufacture new products to address both industrial and personal needs. Among its most popular selections is the Melca Double-Sided Gripper Tape.
Double-Sided Mounting Tape Pricing
- Under $10: In this range, you can find all types of mounting tapes, though usually in a smaller supply.
- $10 and up: Tape in this price range is usually very heavy-duty, and comes with a substantial supply.
Perhaps the most significant feature of double-sided mounting tape is the adherent used. Placed on both sides of the tape, it needs to stick to the surface of the wall and the mounting material. The adherent needs to be able to, on a molecular level, bond to the surface reliably. Depending on the type of tape, it will either be a temporary, semi-permanent, or permanent bond. The heavier the project, the stronger the adherent needs to be, which is why specific items like automotive adherent are so popular.
The material of the tape refers to the surface that is holding onto the adherent. While it needs to be reasonably malleable, the tape shouldn’t fold back onto itself. With a preferred material being acrylic, the thickness still varies. Thicker tapes are more durable but tend to be more difficult to use. Conversely, thinner tapes are easier to manage though they are less able to last over the long term.
Finally, a feature to keep your eye on is how much weight the tape can support. Measured by the square inch, this notation tells you how much tape you’ll need to use to mount the items. It depends on the type of adherent, the material used, and relies on your mounting the tape and item properly. You can find options with strength as low as 0.25 pounds per square inch and as high as 90 pounds per square inch of support.
- Temperature. When you use your tape, one key consideration is how resilient to temperature the tape and glue are. Check if the tape is rated to be effective in outdoor settings and see what temperature it is rated to work near. Some tape is vulnerable to the cold, while others are weak against heat where the adherent will lose its grip.
- Moisture. Even if the tape is rated for outdoor use, it helps to check if it is entirely waterproof. The good news is that acrylic (the most common material) is a waterproof textile. However, depending on the type of tape, moisture can get in and cause damage. This is more common with thin double-sided mounting tape.
- Length. Check this specification to ensure you will get enough tape to complete the work at hand. Usually, it’s measured both in metric and imperial. Compare this to the strength of the tape to make sure it can get the job done.
- Surface Compatibility. Be sure that the tape can adhere to the surface you will need to mount. If you’re hanging a wooden frame, make sure that the tape can hold onto the wood. Also, check it against the surface of the wall on which it’s being mounted. Many tapes work better on painted drywall, but you can find mounting options for all types of surfaces.
- Residue. Finally, lend a thought to what will happen when you remove the tape. Often, the double-sided mounting tape is used to prevent drilling holes in the walls. This means it’s helpful to opt for materials that won’t leave behind a residue on the wall. At the very least, it helps to find something that can be washed away.
Best Double-Sided Mounting Tape Reviews & Recommendations 2021
This tape is designed for indoor use only and can hold up to 15 pounds of weight. However, don't be misled into thinking a small piece of tape can hold something heavy. Instead, about four inches of tape can hold one pound — you would need 60 inches to actually hold up 15 pounds worth of weight. The tape's strength comes from its 3M industrial strength adhesive. When applying the tape, you will want to make sure your space's temperature is typically between 50 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit for the best results.
A few things to keep in mind are that this tape is meant for permanent installation and will leave behind a residue if it is removed. Also, it only works on indoor surfaces.
A roll of 3M VHB Tape is heavy-duty and makes drilling and screwing seem old-fashioned. It’s a clear acrylic tape, which is excellent for connecting transparent materials. This tape is great for permanent bonding, and it’s easier to work with than liquid adhesives. It can adhere to glass, doors, and street signs, among other materials. It’s UV-resistant, heat- and cold-resistant, and moisture-resistant. The roll comes with 15 feet. Using pressure-sensitive adhesive technology, the tape will bond almost as soon as it is applied to a surface—a great feature for impatient people who cannot be bothered to wait for something to dry.
However, this tape does not have a waterproof seal, and it may leave behind a residue. Also, the tape only comes with 15 feet, which may not be enough for some.
Check out the Kelasy Double-Sided Mounting Tape for its unique nano gel glue. This material is meant to adhere tightly to all types of surfaces without creating a permanent bond. As a result, if you need to move the object, you can wash away the leftover tape. On a clean wall, it can hold up to 2.2 pounds of weight. The tape itself is transparent, blending into the surroundings seamlessly. The tape is relatively elastic and forgiving, making it a pretty easy supply to work with. Coming with a full 20 feet of material, it is a great option for those looking to do small scale home improvements.
Keep in mind that this tape is for indoor use only and can't be used for outdoor applications. Also, it requires you to clean the surface after its removed since it may leave a residue.
The Gorilla Tough & Clear Double Sided Mounting Tape is clear in color, making it an ideal alternative to nails and other fasteners, and the tape will not yellow over time. This mounting tape is great for when other fasteners will not suffice. The tape is capable of supporting objects up to 15 pounds of weight. It is also weather-proof, which means it can be used indoors and outdoors. Being able to use it indoors and outside makes this tape uniquely versatile and durable to the elements. It can bond to all different kinds of materials, including brick, concrete, stone, glass, metal, plastic, tile, wood, and other common household materials.
While this tape is great for outdoor use, it can dry out when left outdoors over long periods. This tape also requires you to fully clean whatever surface you will use it on for it to adhere properly.
This double-sided mounting tape can hold up to 90 pounds per inch, making it super durable and strong. A single roll comes with 16 feet of tape, which is enough to hang even the heaviest of items you could want to mount. Not only can it resist curling, but it can also handle relatively high temperatures without compromising its grip. This foam tape is as easy to remove as it is to install, which means you don’t need to worry about labor-intensive caulking and painting to cover over holes from where you are hanging things on the wall. It can bond to painted surfaces, door edges, stainless steel, ABS and PVC panels, as well as automotive nameplates.
While this tape is super durable, it only comes with 16 feet, which may not be enough tape for some. Also, there may be leftover residue when you remove it.
The Broom Nano Double Sided Tape for Walls is one of the most eco-friendly tapes because it’s flexible, washable, and reusable. It won’t damage surfaces and can be stretched, cut, and manipulated in several ways. This tape gets its unique ability to be reused from cutting-edge technology. It’s made of PE-gel material and can hold up to 5 pounds on smooth surfaces. Tolerating temperatures up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit, this tape is as durable as it is reusable. The manufacturers boast that this tape can be used repeatedly without leaving any unsightly residue on your walls. This tape is perfect for dorm rooms and rentals where you might move every year.
However, this tape is not meant for outdoor use and is vulnerable to extreme cold temps. Also, it can be a bit tricky to maneuver the tape.
This high-grade adhesive and strong textile tape can support up to 20 pounds of weight for each square inch, thanks to the weather-proof glue that creates a tight, semi-permanent bond with the surface. You can use it on all types of surfaces, including concrete and painted drywall. The tape, once dry, can withstand all sorts of stress. This double-sided mounting tape maintains its hold on the wall and your supplies despite UV radiation, cold weather, or humidity. Even though the tape is tough, it’s pretty easy to work with. Provided you have a clean surface, this double-sided tape can mount your items easily.
The overall installation of this tape can take some time since it requires a smooth surface for application, and it takes a while for it to dry. Also, keep in mind it may leave behind a residue if it's removed.
Consider the EZLifego Double-Sided Mounting Tape for its innovative adherent technology. It uses an acrylic-based gel that clings tightly to all types of materials. It dries reasonably quickly and creates a reliable hold on your gear. The set comes with over 16 feet of tape, meaning you can use it for a couple of small projects. Featuring a clear design, it adds value in that it won't leave a stain or residue. It is easy to wash away; and, once dried, leaves no trace behind. Useful on everything from stone to ceramic, wood to paper, this is a convenient double-sided mounting tape to have around the house.
It should be noted that this tape doesn't create a permanent hold, and it still requires you to clean and dry a surface to stick. Also, the tape only supports a quarter of a pound per square inch.
- Clean and dry the surfaces before you mount the item on the wall to let it adhere properly.
- Store the tape in a cool and dry place to protect the glue from cracking and drying out prematurely.
- Use the proper tape for the surface at hand: such as handlebar tape for bikes, indoor tape for the household, or duct tape for multipurpose uses.
- Always check the weight of your item against the weight rating of the tape material.
- Use double-sided mounting tape instead of using screws or nails to hang your items.
- If the installation is temporary, make sure to opt for a tape that won’t leave behind a residue.
- When installing the mounted piece, apply pressure between the surface and the item to help the adherent bond on a molecular level.
Q: What is the strongest double-sided mounting tape?
The strongest double-sided mounting tape is one with the ability to hold up a lot of weight per square inch. A solid option is the HitLights Double Sided Mounting Tape Heavy Duty since it can hold up to 90 pounds for each square inch of coverage.
Q: What is the best double-sided tape for walls?
The best option for walls inside the house is something that won’t damage the surface but still offers a lot of support. A good way to go is Scotch Indoor Double Sided Mounting Tape since it’s tough yet forgiving on surfaces.
Q: How do you make double-sided tape stick better?
The key is to use the tape only on the surface indicated. If it is meant for painted drywall, don’t use it on concrete. Additionally, ensure that the wall is completely clean and dry before applying the tape. When you press it into place, hold it steady for a minute to ensure a good hold.
Q: How much weight can 3M double-sided tape hold?
Tape from this manufacturer comes in many different models, so it’s important to check the specifications. Products like the Heavy-Duty 3M Mounting Tape can support up to 90 pounds per square inch.
Now that you know the ins and outs of double-sided mounting tape, you can make your pick. It could be Scotch Indoor Double Sided Mounting Tape or the affordability of 3M VHB Tape. Either way, there’s a tape for every situation.
MORE TO READ
The Best Grip Tapes (Review & Buying Guide) in 2022
Review this guide to find the best grip tape for skateboarding or home safety.
Best Handlebar Tape: Ride Your Bike Like a Pro
If you want your bike to serve you well, take good care of it with top-tier handlebar tape
Best Duct Tapes: Top Adhesives for Home Repairs
Seal cracks and fix other problems with these high-quality duct tapes
Best Tape Measures: Get Precise and Easy-to-Read Measurements
Measure twice and cut once with these dependable and high-quality tape measures