LAST UPDATED: January 24, 2021
The Best Cordless Jigsaws (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these cordless jigsaws for professional use or DIY projects
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON January 24, 2021
A jigsaw is a handy, hugely helpful tool whether you’re a professional or a DIY enthusiast. With a jigsaw at your workstation, you can cut shapes and curves of all kinds. You can work on intricately carved woodworking projects, create straight cuts for crafts, and even step up to cutting materials like different woods, metal, laminate, and even tile. But to make your jigsaw work for you, you need the right kind of this power tool. A cordless jigsaw can be more flexible, more convenient, and more mobile than a traditional jigsaw. You don’t have to worry about plugging into an electrical outlet or the length of the cord — you can cut anywhere, as long as your battery is charged. Check out some of the best cordless jigsaw options right here.
Measures 9 x 5 x 6.5 inches in size and weighs just 4.2 pounds. Runs on a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that’s part of the Worx Power Share system.
- Two saws in one, working both as a reciprocating saw and a jigsaw
- You can use orbital mode
- An integrated dust blower helps get rid of dust and debris as you cut
- Customers have reported that the 20-volt battery only offers about 10-15 minutes of working power
- You may want to consider upgrading to the 40-volt battery for a longer battery lifespan
Features a different, more ergonomic design. Measures 10.19 x 2.94 x 9.25 inches in size, and it weighs just 2.1 pounds. Can be used to make cuts in wood, metal, PVC, and plastic up to one-inch thick.
- Keyless blade change makes switching positions easy
- LED work light illuminates whatever you’re cutting
- The battery can stay charged for up to 18 months.
- No charging indicator; many users find it extremely difficult to tell when your battery is fully charged
- You could leave it plugged in overnight to ensure the battery is fully charged
Measures 8.25 x 1.75 x 6.38 inches in size, weighs just 4.2 pounds and operates with 20 volts of power. Runs on a brushless motor, which ensures that you’ll enjoy a long battery life.
- Bright LED light makes it easy to see what you’re working on
- A variable speed trigger and dial give you precise speed control, and there are bevel stops at 0, 15, and 30 degrees
- Some customers have reported problems with their delivery
- Some products have shipped with missing parts, specifically missing blades; make sure to inspect your package upon delivery
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of a Cordless Jigsaw
- Convenience. A cordless jigsaw is an extremely convenient option because you don't need to be located near a power outlet or use an extension cord to use the power tool.
- Safety. Because there is no cord required, a cordless jigsaw helps to avoid accidents by providing freedom of movement compared to a corded jigsaw. It allows for better concentration on your work without being distracted by a cord or extension cord.
- Easy operation. Cordless jigsaw provides ease of movement and simple operation compared to corded options. To use, just make sure your battery is fully charged and insert the battery into the jigsaw.
Types of Cordless Jigsaws
Carbon-steel jigsaws are the most common type of jigsaw. The blade of this jigsaw can be used to cut materials like wood and PVC piping. This type of jigsaw is relatively inexpensive and made from a fairly flexible material. One downside of carbon-steel blades is that they tend to become dull and do need to be sharpened quite often compared to other types.
Bi-metal jigsaws may be the most powerful type of jigsaw. The blade of this jigsaw features a sharpened edge with teeth that are designed to cut through heavy-duty materials like metal. This type of jigsaw blade is made out of carbon steel and high-speed steel teeth. This makes them the most durable type of jigsaw while also being extremely flexible. In addition to metal, this type of jigsaw can be used to cut through hard and dense wood.
Carbide jigsaws are another extremely durable type of jigsaw. The blade of this jigsaw features an edge coated in a tungsten carbide grit, rather than having steel teeth on its edge. This type of jigsaw is specifically designed to cut through objects and materials like ceramics, steel, and fiberglass. It makes very smooth cuts, even through the toughest materials.
Founded in 1910 and headquartered in Towson, Md., Black+Decker Inc. is one of the biggest American manufacturers of power tools and home improvement products. In addition to cordless jigsaws, Black+Decker also produces power tools, lawn equipment, car accessories, home appliances, and more.
Founded in 1924 and headquartered in Towson, Md., DeWalt is a registered trademark of Black+Decker. It is an extremely reputable manufacturer of power tools and hand tools for the construction industry. In addition to cordless jigsaws, DeWalt also produces drill sets, hand saws, lawnmowers, and more.
This company has built a reputation for manufacturing high-quality power tools, as well as lawn and garden products. In addition to cordless jigsaws, Worx manufactures pressure washers, rotary tools, rechargeable batteries, and more.
Cordless Jigsaw Pricing
- Under $50: Cordless jigsaws in this price range are available at an excellent value. Make sure that products at this price range feature enough power and a rechargeable battery with enough voltage for your work.
- $50-$100: This is the most common price range for cordless jigsaws. Products in this price range are typically a quality product that can cut a wide range of materials. Some jigsaws at this price point even come with several special features.
- $100 and up: Cordless jigsaws in this price range are priced at a premium. Products in this price range are typical of the highest quality and feature a wide range of special features. They feature higher power than other products, and they sometimes even include backup batteries in the package.
Cordless Jigsaw Key Features
The amount of power generated by your cordless jigsaw is perhaps the most important consideration. In general, the higher the voltage, the larger the cutting power that will be generated by your jigsaw. Make sure that your cordless jigsaw has enough power for the projects that you will be using it for. Most cordless jigsaws will have a strokes-per-minute rating between 2,400 and 3,000 SPM.
The speed of your cordless jigsaw is another important consideration. Some cordless jigsaws will feature a single speed, while other products will include multiple speed settings that are fully adjustable depending on the project. Adjustable speed settings will allow you to cut with the proper precision and speed for maximum efficiency on specific projects.
The weight of your cordless jigsaw should be considered to maximize your product's efficiency. Your cordless jigsaw must be lightweight and portable, yet still feature enough power for your specific projects. A lightweight option ensures your safety and allows you to work on projects for long periods without becoming overly fatigued.
- Battery Life. The type of battery and lifespan of your battery are important considerations. Most cordless jigsaws feature completely rechargeable lithium batteries. You must have a battery that can last the entire time you are working on a project. If your battery does not have a long enough lifespan, it may be a good idea to keep a fully charged backup battery on hand to use as a replacement once your original battery dies.
- Comfort. Many special features add to the comfort level of your cordless jigsaw. Cordless jigsaws feature a wide variety of grip styles, with some models even featuring cushioned, well-padded handle designs. Other grips are completely non-slip, which helps to maximize both comfort and safety while operating your cordless jigsaw.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are important considerations when considering the best cordless jigsaw to fit your needs. Most reputable manufacturers will include some type of warranty with their products. Look for a limited warranty that will at least cover any manufacturing defects or issues with your cordless jigsaw upon delivery.
Best Cordless Jigsaw Reviews & Recommendations 2020
The Worx 2-in-1 Reciprocating Saw and Jigsaw is more than a simple jigsaw. This cordless model might be small and compact, but it’s very capable — and that’s why it’s a power tool everyone should consider. The cordless jigsaw measures 9 x 5 x 6.5 inches in size and weighs just 4.2 pounds, making it easy to maneuver. It runs on a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that’s part of the Worx Power Share system, making it compatible with any other Worx 20-volt or 40-volt tools you have. This cordless jigsaw is two saws in one, working both as a reciprocating saw and a jigsaw; you can use orbital mode too. An integrated dust blower helps get rid of dust and debris as you cut. And you can use any standard reciprocating saw or T-shank saw blades in this jigsaw.
One downside of the Worx 2-in-1 Reciprocating Saw and Jigsaw is with the included battery. Many customers have reported that the 20-volt battery only offers about 10-15 minutes of working power. The saw itself works great, so you may want to consider upgrading to the 40-volt battery for a longer battery lifespan.
If you want a cordless jigsaw that fits easily into your hand and doesn’t break the bank, you’ll want to consider the Black+Decker Compact Saw Cordless Jigsaw. With a budget-friendly price and great functionality, this is a jigsaw you’ll get a lot of use and a lot of value from. This jigsaw features a different, more ergonomic design — it measures 10.19 x 2.94 x 9.25 inches in size, and it weighs just 2.1 pounds. You hold it via an upright grip, and you can use this cordless jigsaw to make cuts in wood, metal, PVC, and plastic that’s up to one-inch thick. A keyless blade change makes switching positions easy, and an LED work light illuminates whatever you’re cutting. The battery on this cordless jigsaw is impressive for the price too, as it can stay charged for up to 18 months.
One downside with the Black+Decker Compact Saw Cordless Jigsaw is its charging capability. There is no charging indicator, so many users find it extremely difficult to tell when your battery is fully charged. You could leave it plugged in overnight to ensure the battery is fully charged, but that is likely to be a waste of electricity and a potential fire hazard.
The DeWalt 20V MAX XR Jigsaw is a lightweight, cordless jigsaw that offers great features and functionality — and that makes it well worth its higher price. This is a premium power tool. It measures 8.25 x 1.75 x 6.38 inches in size, weighs just 4.2 pounds, and operates with 20 volts of power. It runs on a brushless motor, which ensures this cordless jigsaw is efficient in its performance so you’ll enjoy a long battery life. You’ll enjoy the grip and control you have over this jigsaw, and its bright LED light makes it easy to see what you’re working on. A variable speed trigger and dial give you precise speed control, and there are bevel stops at 0, 15, and 30 degrees.
One issue with the DeWalt 20V MAX XR Jigsaw is that some customers have reported problems with their delivery. Some products have shipped with missing parts, specifically missing blades. Make sure to inspect your package upon delivery and reach out to the company for any replacement products that are needed.
The Black+Decker 20V MAX Jigsaw doesn’t make things complicated. This is a great cordless jigsaw because it’s so streamlined — it includes all of the features you want in a basic jigsaw, but it gives you more flexibility while you work by eliminating a traditional power cord. This cordless jigsaw weighs 5.5 pounds and comes with both a rechargeable battery and a charger. It has a variable speed trigger to allow you to control its efforts and a 45-degree bevel shoe capacity for cuts in both directions. You don’t need any tools to change the blades, either. As part of the BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX system, you can swap out the battery and use it with other tools in this same product line, giving you even more streamlining for your power tools.
One downside of the Black+Decker 20V MAX Jigsaw is its battery. The included battery is not very high quality, as many users have reported that their batteries have died after just a few uses and will no longer recharge. While this jigsaw is a quality product, you may want to consider purchasing and using a different battery if you decide to buy this cordless jigsaw.
If you want a cordless jigsaw that puts control and customization in your hands, the Porter-Cable 20V MAX Jigsaw is a great choice. With this lightweight jigsaw, you can adjust the aggressiveness of every cut. That means you can easily make changes and adjustments before you work on different materials or different applications. With three orbital settings, a variable speed trigger, and a tool-free blade release, it’s easy to adjust and customize the different features of this cordless jigsaw to get the right cut every time. Measuring 12.19 x 3.75 x 10 inches in size, this jigsaw is bigger than other similar models but weighs just 4.5 pounds so it’s still easy to maneuver. A contoured over-molded handle helps you stay comfortable when wielding this jigsaw at any angle.
One issue with the Porter-Cable 20V MAX Jigsaw is its durability. Some customers have reported that their batteries have died after a few years, or that their blades have needed to be replaced. This product is available at a nearly unbeatable price, so for its low price point, it may be worth it needing to purchase new batteries or replacement blades after a few years.
While it is priced at a premium, the Makita Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw is an extremely high-quality product. This cordless jigsaw features a cutting speed up to 2,600 SPM and a tool-free blade change system for added convenience. Two-finger speed controls allow you to easily adjust your cut while working. There is an LED light for added safety and precise visibility while cutting in tight spaces. This cordless jigsaw can be used for a variety of projects and to cut several different materials. It features three orbital settings and one straight cutting setting. There is a heavy gauge, precision machined base for smooth, accurate cutting and added durability. It has base bevels and locks from 0 degrees to 45 degrees left or right for more precise bevel cuts.
One downside of the Makita Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw is that it is a fairly heavy option. The rechargeable battery is high-quality, but it is quite large. If you will be using this jigsaw frequently or for long projects, then you may want to consider a different battery as the one included could result in operator fatigue.
The Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw is a perfect option for both professionals and DIY projects. It has several special features, including an LED light and dust blower. An adjustable footplate can be used for bevel cuts. This cordless jigsaw has a comfortable, well-padded grip. It is extremely efficient at cutting through most types of wood with ease. With a lightweight, portable design, this cordless jigsaw is very easy to travel with, and it will help prevent user fatigue if needed to use for a long period. The jigsaw is advertised as being up to 30 percent lighter in weight than comparable jigsaws, and up to 10 percent smaller in size than competitor jigsaws. Both the battery and motor of this jigsaw are protected against overloading and overheating.
One issue with the Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw is that the battery and charger are not sold together with this cordless jigsaw. Therefore, the cost will be slightly higher than expected, as you will need to purchase the rechargeable battery and battery charger separately.
The Milwaukee D-Handle Jig Saw is another high-quality cordless jigsaw, featuring a brushless motor that helps increase the speed and the power to cut hard materials. This cordless jigsaw can be used to cut a wide variety of materials, including very hard wood and numerous metals. The variable speed control of this product ranges between zero and 3,500 strokes per minute, providing precise control for clean cuts. There is a dust blower with a convenient on/off button that allows you to efficiently clear your workspace of dirt, dust, and debris. Measuring 9.1 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches and a weight of 5.75 pounds, this cordless jigsaw is very portable and will prevent arm fatigue if used for extended periods. The M18 REDLITHIUM XC5.0 battery is advertised as one of the most efficient batteries on the market and should require very little charging while working on your project.
One downside of the Milwaukee D-Handle Jig Saw is its safety features. There is no front guard included with the grip handle. So while it is easy to use, this cordless jigsaw should be handled with care. Make sure you are extremely safe while operating this jigsaw and take every safety precaution possible.
- Most cordless jigsaw models will produce a lot of dust. Make sure to wear safety goggles and a mask while working with a cordless jigsaw to keep yourself protected at all times.
- If you need to adjust your jigsaw blade at any time, make sure that your cordless jigsaw is turned off. Remove the battery to ensure maximum safety before attempting to adjust the blade.
- Make sure that your battery is completely charged before starting work on your project. If you will be working for an extended period, it may be a good idea to have a backup battery on hand that has also been fully charged.
- Double-check your jigsaw's blade to ensure that it is completely sharp at all times. You may need to sharpen the blade quite frequently if you will be using your jigsaw often.
- Depending on the project you will be working on and the type of material you will be cutting, you may need a different type of blade. Read our reviews and make sure to choose the proper type of blade for your specific needs.
Best Cordless Jigsaw FAQ:
Q. Are cordless jigsaws any good?
A. Yes, there are several very high-quality cordless jigsaws available on the market. While they may not feature as much power as corded jigsaws, there are several different options to fit your needs. Read our reviews to determine which cordless jigsaw is the best fit for you.
Q. Can you use a jigsaw to cut a 2x4?
A. Yes, a jigsaw can easily be used to cut a 2x4. Depending on the type of cutting blade used, jigsaws can be used to cut wood, metal, fiberglass, ceramic, and a variety of other tough materials.
Q. What's the difference between a jigsaw and an orbital jigsaw?
A. A standard jigsaw moves the blade in an up-and-down motion, while an orbital jigsaw moves the blade slightly forward on the upswing, then slightly backward on the downstroke in an elliptical motion. This typically allows for a faster, efficient cut.
Our Top Pick
Our best overall cordless jigsaw is the Worx 2-in-1 Reciprocating Saw and Jigsaw, featuring two saws in one tool: a reciprocating saw and a jigsaw. There are several other great cordless jigsaws available, so make sure to read all of our reviews to determine if another option is the best choice for your needs.
For a high-quality cordless jigsaw, consider the Worx 2-in-1 Reciprocating Saw and Jigsaw, featuring an integrated dust blower, or the Black+Decker CompactSaw Cordless Jigsaw, featuring an LED work light.
Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite cordless jigsaw is and what you love about it.