LAST UPDATED: February 15, 2021
The Best Camping Towels (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these camping towels to dry off after hiking, biking, backpacking, swimming, or yoga.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON February 15, 2021
If you’re an avid camper and love the outdoors, you probably also enjoy activities such as hiking, biking, backpacking, swimming, and yoga. A high-quality camping towel is the perfect addition to your camping gear. The best camping towels are extremely absorbent and quick drying. Many can hold up to five times their weight in water and can be hung at your campsite to dry in less than 30 minutes. Camping towels made from heavy-duty microfiber fabric are lightweight, mildew-resistant, and odor-free, making them perfect for your outdoor lifestyle. We looked at some of the best camping towels currently on the market. Whether you’re looking for great value, durability, or versatility, check out the best fit for your camping needs.
Comes in three sizes: 20 by 40 inches, 28 by 56 inches, and 32 by 72 inches. Available in a wide variety of colors.
- Made from a super-absorbent and quick-drying microfiber
- Can hold up to five times its weight in water and dry up to 10 times faster than regular cotton towels
- Completely mildew resistant and odor-free
- Some customers have reported that their towels began to deteriorate after just a few cycles in their washing machines
- Make sure to wash on a gentle cycle or hand-wash them if possible
Two camping towels included in each purchase. Comes in two sizes: 12 by 30 inches, and 30 by 60 inches. It’s available in a wide variety of colors and comes with a mesh bag.
- Can absorb up to three to four times its weight in moisture
- Dries up to 10 times faster than regular cotton towels
- An attached carrying handle is included with each towel
- Mesh bag has been known to tear, and the carrying loop has also been known to break
- You may want to buy a separate bag for storage, and a loop if you’re planning to hang this towel to dry
Made from thousands of micro threads and reinforced interlock stitching to provide a soft, absorbent, and quick-drying product. This towel is available in a variety of colors and sizes.
- Each purchase comes with a bag and a washcloth
- Super-absorbent and quick-drying microfiber fabric is ideal for a variety of outdoor activities
- Hang-dry strap is included with the towel
- There’s a manufacturing smell from the dye used to color the fabric
- Make sure to wash your towel upon delivery before first use
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Camping Towels
- Moisture absorption: The main benefit of camping towels is that they’re able to absorb water and moisture quickly. The best camping towels can absorb up to five times their weight in water.
- Reduce bacteria: A microfiber camping towel can dry fairly quickly, which reduces the moisture and bacteria that collects in it. Regular cotton towels don’t dry quickly and become a host for a variety of bacteria when they remain damp.
- Lint free: In general, microfiber camping towels are free of lint. They won’t shed fabric and lint onto your body while drying off, like various brands of cheaper cotton towels do.
Types of Camping Towels
The best camping towels are typically made from microfiber material. Microfiber camping towels can absorb large amounts of moisture and water, sometimes up to five times their weight. Microfiber towels are also extremely quick to dry and won’t collect bacteria like other types of camping towels.
While cotton towels may be the softest and most comfortable type, these are best suited for use as bath towels and beach towels. Cotton camping towels can help you to dry yourself off quickly, but the main issue is that they don’t dry quickly. Cotton towels absorb large amounts of water and remain damp, which causes an issue with bacteria collection after just a few uses.
Linen camping towels are extremely absorbent and dry very quickly. Because of this, they won’t collect the large amounts of bacteria that cotton towels have been known for. The main issue with linen towels is that they’ll become extremely wrinkled when rolled up in your luggage or backpack. Linen camping towels have also been known to become stained and are by far the most difficult to clean.
Headquartered just outside of Nashville, Tenn., Wise Owl Outfitters has become one of the most trusted manufacturers of outdoor equipment in the United States. In addition to camping towels, Wise Owl is known for its camping hammocks, camping pillows, rain tarps, sleeping pads, tent stakes, and more.
Rainleaf is an American manufacturer known for its high-quality outdoor equipment and sports products. In addition to camping towels, Rainleaf produces survival tents, backpacks, sports bags, exercise balls, and more.
Camping Towel Pricing
- Under $10: Camping towels in this price range offer the best value. Products in this range are often available to buy as a set, but they’re often smaller than towels listed at other price points.
- $10-$20: This is the most common price range for camping towels. These towels come in a variety of shapes and sizes, including some large enough to use as a shower or bath towel.
- $20 and up: Camping towels in this price range are listed for a premium. These towels come in all sizes and will often include features like mesh carrying bags and carrying loops or hooks for drying.
The main feature of any camping towel is its ability to absorb moisture and water. When looking for a quality camping towel, you want a product that will clean water from your skin quickly and efficiently. These towels are often made from microfiber, which can absorb moisture with a quick wipe-down and won’t get too damp after using.
The drying speed of your camping towel is another important factor to consider. The best camping towels are made out of microfiber or other quick-drying material. They can be hung to dry quickly, typically within 30 minutes. This is a major benefit while camping because you don’t have to pack a damp towel in your backpack and worry about it collecting bacteria.
The best camping towels are extremely versatile products. Not only do they come in a wide variety of design patterns and colors, but they’re also available in a number of different sizes, ranging from small hand towels to large beach towels. Camping towels can also be used for many different activities, including hiking, jogging, climbing, swimming, showering, and more.
- Carrying Bag. Whether or not a convenient carrying bag is included with the purchase of your camping towel is an important consideration. The best ones usually come with a breathable mesh carrying bag. This allows your towel to remain dry at all times without collecting any bacteria. The mesh bag can easily be carried or seamlessly fit into your luggage, tent, or backpack.
- Hanging Loop. The best camping towels come with a high-quality hanging hook or loop, which allows you to conveniently hang your towel to dry quickly. This helps to avoid bacteria collecting on your towel, which has been known to happen if your towel remains damp or doesn't fully dry before you pack it away.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty included with your camping towel is another important consideration. Most reputable outdoor companies will include some type of warranty with their products. Make sure to inspect your camping towel upon delivery for any manufacturing defects. If there are any issues, reach out to the company's customer-service team, and it will likely offer a refund or replacement.
Best Camping Towel Reviews & Recommendations 2021
If you’re looking for an ideal camping towel, the Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel may be the best option on the market. This camping towel comes in three sizes: 20 by 40 inches, 28 by 56 inches, and 32 by 72 inches. The towel is also available in a wide variety of colors. It’s made from a super-absorbent and quick-drying microfiber. This towel can hold up to five times its weight in water and dries 10 times faster than regular cotton towels. The microfiber fabric is designed to be completely mildew-resistant and odor-free, making it ideal for outdoor activities like camping, hiking, backpacking, swimming, sports, or yoga. This towel comes with a convenient carrying bag and a quick-snap hanging loop to hang your towel to dry from a nearby tree at your campsite.
One downside of the Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel is with its durability. Some customers have reported that their towels began to deteriorate after just a few cycles in their washing machines. So hand wash them if possible, or make sure to use a gentle cycle if you wash them in your machine.
The Relefree Microfiber Towel is an excellent value buy, with two camping towels included in each purchase. This towel comes in two sizes: 12 by 30 inches, and 30 by 60 inches. It’s available in a wide variety of colors and comes with a mesh bag for convenient carrying while camping, hiking, backpacking, doing yoga, or working out at the gym. This towel can absorb up to three to four times its weight in moisture and dries up to 10 times faster than regular cotton towels. An attached carrying loop makes it easy to hang from a tree to dry at your campsite. A wet towel can be fully dried in the sun in just 30 minutes. The microfiber fabric is soft to the touch and will soak up all the moisture from your skin after a long run, hike, workout, swim, or yoga session.
One issue with the Relefree Microfiber Towel is with its mesh carrying bag and carrying loop. The mesh bag has been known to tear and may not hold up as long as the towel itself. The carrying loop has also been known to break. So you may want to buy a separate bag for storage and a separate loop if you plan to hang this towel to dry.
If you’re looking for a high-quality towel that’s built to last, the Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Towel is an excellent choice. This towel is made from thousands of micro threads and reinforced interlock stitching to provide a soft, absorbent, and quick-drying product. It’s available in a variety of colors and sizes. Each purchase comes with a washcloth and a bag for convenient carrying. The super-absorbent and quick-drying microfiber fabric is ideal for a variety of outdoor activities, including camping, hiking, boating, swimming, sports, and yoga. A hang-dry strap is included, making it extremely easy to hang your towel to dry at your campsite after a long workout.
One downside of the Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Towel is that it may have a manufacturing smell from the dye used to color the fabric. Make sure to wash your towel upon delivery before first use.
The Rainleaf Microfiber Towel is an extremely lightweight and compact camping towel. This towel can easily be folded into the included reusable carrying bag, making it simple to pack away in your backpack for long hikes, climbs, or bike rides. The towel comes in a variety of colors and six different sizes, ranging from 12 by 24 inches, to 40 by 72 inches. This towel can absorb up to five times its weight and dries extremely quickly, making it ideal for a variety of outdoor activities including camping, backpacking, hiking, climbing, biking, running, yoga, and swimming. A convenient snap loop is included to easily hang the towel to dry from a nearby tree at your campsite. It’s recommended that you wash the towel before using it for the first time. It comes with a full lifetime warranty.
One issue with the Rainleaf Microfiber Towel is that some customers have reported manufacturing defects with their delivery. If your towel is ripped or torn upon delivery, reach out to Rainleaf's customer service team and ask for a replacement product.
If you’re looking for a towel to use for camping and a variety of other activities, the BOGI Microfiber Travel Sports Towel is an ideal choice. This camping towel is a great option for camping, hiking, biking, climbing, swimming, yoga, sports, and a number of other outdoor activities. This towel is available in a wide variety of colors and four different sizes, ranging from 16 by 32 inches, to 72 by 32 inches. The towel comes with a breathable mesh bag for convenient carrying and a snap loop for hanging your towel to dry. This towel is super-absorbent, quick-drying, and odor-free. It’s guaranteed to keep its shape and absorbance after several washing cycles. The softness and design of the fabric make it a great towel for drying off after a long, vigorous workout.
One downside of the BOGI Microfiber Travel Sports Towel is its durability. Some customers have reported that the threads ripped at the seams after washing in their washing machine. It’s recommended that you hand wash your towel or use a gentle cycle if you machine wash it, to maximize its durability.
The Sunland Microfiber Sports Travel Towel is available in a wide variety of different colors and sizes, from 20 by 40 inches, up to 40 by 72 inches. Some are even available to purchase as a set of two. A convenient, lightweight carrying bag with a mesh front panel is included with each purchase. The towel also has a snap loop to conveniently hang your towel to dry or hook it onto your backpack if it’s still damp. This camping towel is completely machine washable. It’s an ideal option for a variety of outdoor activities, including camping, hiking, biking, climbing, running, swimming, and more. At a weight of just a few ounces, you won't even notice you're traveling with this towel while it's packed inside your luggage.
One downside of the Sunland Microfiber Sports Travel Towel is with its more vibrant color options. The bright colors tend to be more affected by the sun and will begin to look faded over time. But a number of lighter and more neutral colors are available if this is a major issue for you.
The Fox Outfitters Microfiber Towel is available in five different sizes, ranging from extra small to extra large, and is one of the most absorbent towels on the market. The large or extra-large size of this camping towel is highly recommended as a beach, swimming, or bath towel. It has been known to soak up to four times its weight in water. A snap-on loop allows you to conveniently hang your towel from a tree, pole, or any other high location at your campsite. This towel can dry in just a few minutes. Once it’s completely dry, the camping towel can simply be folded and placed inside the included mesh carrying bag. It can be hand washed, but it’s also machine washable for deeper cleaning.
One downside of the Fox Outfitters Microfiber Towel is with its brighter color options. Some customers have reported that the dye has bled out in their washing machine. So make sure to wash this towel on a gentle, cold cycle with like colors if you’re worried about color bleeding.
The Wildhorn Microlite Travel Towel Set is another excellent budget-friendly purchase, available as a three-pack. The three different sizes also make this camping towel an extremely versatile option. The extra-large size is ideal for the beach or lake; the large size can be used for hiking or camping; and the small size can be used as a hand towel or gym towel. Each towel comes with its own mesh pouch for added convenience. There’s a loop in each corner to easily hang it to dry when damp. When fully wet, this towel can typically dry in direct sunlight within 30 minutes. Unlike some camping towels, this brand doesn’t lose its color after extensive use or multiple washes.
One issue with the Wildhorn Microlite Travel Towel Set is its durability. While it will retain its color better than other camping towels, the seams can become worn and may tear after extensive use or after several cycles in the washing machine. To extend its lifespan, it’s recommended to hand wash this towel set or machine wash it on a cold, gentle cycle.
- When shopping for a camping towel, make sure to consider a number of factors, like the material that it’s made from and how long it takes to dry, before making your purchase.
- If you’ll be using your camping towel for swimming, showering, or bathing, make sure it’s one of the larger options and not just a small hand towel.
- Consider buying a camping towel that includes a convenient carrying bag. The best carrying bags are made from mesh and are very breathable, allowing your towel to remain dry inside.
- Make sure your towel is completely dry before packing it away in your included carrying bag or backpack. If your towel is still damp, it can collect bacteria more easily.
- To ensure your towel dries quickly and completely, consider hanging it from a tree or in a sunny spot at your campsite. Your camping towel may have come with a hanging loop to assist with drying speed.
Q: What is the best camping towel?
Our best overall camping towel choice is the Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel, made from a super-absorbent and quick-drying microfiber, but there are several other high-quality options available. Make sure to read our reviews to determine if another option is the best fit for your needs.
Q: How much is the best camping towel?
The price of the Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel varies depending on the size. This towel is available in a variety of color options and three sizes: 20 by 40 inches, 28 by 56 inches, and 32 by 72 inches.
Q: What is the best quick-dry towel for camping?
The Rainleaf Microfiber Towel is extremely lightweight, compact, and quick-drying. However, any towel that’s made from microfiber material and includes features like hanging loops or hanging hooks will be quicker to dry than other towels.
For a high-quality camping towel, consider the Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel, which can hold up to five times its weight in water, or the Relefree Microfiber Towel, which comes with a mesh bag and carrying loop.
Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite camping towel is and what you love about it.