The Best Camping Towels (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these camping towels to dry off after hiking, biking, backpacking, swimming, or yoga.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Zach Faulds / LAST UPDATED ON February 22, 2021
If you’re an avid camper and love the outdoors, you probably also enjoy activities such as hiking, biking, backpacking, swimming, and yoga. A high-quality camping towel is the perfect addition to your camping gear. The best camping towels are extremely absorbent and quick drying. Many can hold up to five times their weight in water and can be hung at your campsite to dry in less than 30 minutes. Camping towels made from heavy-duty microfiber fabric are lightweight, mildew-resistant, and odor-free, making them perfect for your outdoor lifestyle. We looked at some of the best camping towels currently on the market. Whether you’re looking for great value, durability, or versatility, check out the best fit for your camping needs.
Comes in three sizes: 20 by 40 inches, 28 by 56 inches, and 32 by 72 inches. Available in a wide variety of colors.
- Made from a super-absorbent and quick-drying microfiber
- Can hold up to five times its weight in water and dry up to 10 times faster than regular cotton towels
- Completely mildew resistant and odor-free
- Some customers have reported that their towels began to deteriorate after just a few cycles in their washing machines
- Make sure to wash on a gentle cycle or hand-wash them if possible
Two camping towels included in each purchase. Comes in two sizes: 12 by 30 inches, and 30 by 60 inches. It’s available in a wide variety of colors and comes with a mesh bag.
- Can absorb up to three to four times its weight in moisture
- Dries up to 10 times faster than regular cotton towels
- An attached carrying handle is included with each towel
- Mesh bag has been known to tear, and the carrying loop has also been known to break
- You may want to buy a separate bag for storage, and a loop if you’re planning to hang this towel to dry
Made from thousands of micro threads and reinforced interlock stitching to provide a soft, absorbent, and quick-drying product. This towel is available in a variety of colors and sizes.
- Each purchase comes with a bag and a washcloth
- Super-absorbent and quick-drying microfiber fabric is ideal for a variety of outdoor activities
- Hang-dry strap is included with the towel
- There’s a manufacturing smell from the dye used to color the fabric
- Make sure to wash your towel upon delivery before first use
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Camping Towels
- Moisture absorption: The main benefit of camping towels is that they’re able to absorb water and moisture quickly. The best camping towels can absorb up to five times their weight in water.
- Reduce bacteria: A microfiber camping towel can dry fairly quickly, which reduces the moisture and bacteria that collects in it. Regular cotton towels don’t dry quickly and become a host for a variety of bacteria when they remain damp.
- Lint free: In general, microfiber camping towels are free of lint. They won’t shed fabric and lint onto your body while drying off, like various brands of cheaper cotton towels do.
Types of Camping Towels
The best camping towels are typically made from microfiber material. Microfiber camping towels can absorb large amounts of moisture and water, sometimes up to five times their weight. Microfiber towels are also extremely quick to dry and won’t collect bacteria like other types of camping towels.
While cotton towels may be the softest and most comfortable type, these are best suited for use as bath towels and beach towels. Cotton camping towels can help you to dry yourself off quickly, but the main issue is that they don’t dry quickly. Cotton towels absorb large amounts of water and remain damp, which causes an issue with bacteria collection after just a few uses.
Linen camping towels are extremely absorbent and dry very quickly. Because of this, they won’t collect the large amounts of bacteria that cotton towels have been known for. The main issue with linen towels is that they’ll become extremely wrinkled when rolled up in your luggage or backpack. Linen camping towels have also been known to become stained and are by far the most difficult to clean.
Headquartered just outside of Nashville, Tenn., Wise Owl Outfitters has become one of the most trusted manufacturers of outdoor equipment in the United States. In addition to camping towels, Wise Owl is known for its camping hammocks, camping pillows, rain tarps, sleeping pads, tent stakes, and more.
Rainleaf is an American manufacturer known for its high-quality outdoor equipment and sports products. In addition to camping towels, Rainleaf produces survival tents, backpacks, sports bags, exercise balls, and more.
Camping Towel Pricing
- Under $10: Camping towels in this price range offer the best value. Products in this range are often available to buy as a set, but they’re often smaller than towels listed at other price points.
- $10-$20: This is the most common price range for camping towels. These towels come in a variety of shapes and sizes, including some large enough to use as a shower or bath towel.
- $20 and up: Camping towels in this price range are listed for a premium. These towels come in all sizes and will often include features like mesh carrying bags and carrying loops or hooks for drying.
The main feature of any camping towel is its ability to absorb moisture and water. When looking for a quality camping towel, you want a product that will clean water from your skin quickly and efficiently. These towels are often made from microfiber, which can absorb moisture with a quick wipe-down and won’t get too damp after using.
The drying speed of your camping towel is another important factor to consider. The best camping towels are made out of microfiber or other quick-drying material. They can be hung to dry quickly, typically within 30 minutes. This is a major benefit while camping because you don’t have to pack a damp towel in your backpack and worry about it collecting bacteria.
The best camping towels are extremely versatile products. Not only do they come in a wide variety of design patterns and colors, but they’re also available in a number of different sizes, ranging from small hand towels to large beach towels. Camping towels can also be used for many different activities, including hiking, jogging, climbing, swimming, showering, and more.
- Carrying Bag. Whether or not a convenient carrying bag is included with the purchase of your camping towel is an important consideration. The best ones usually come with a breathable mesh carrying bag. This allows your towel to remain dry at all times without collecting any bacteria. The mesh bag can easily be carried or seamlessly fit into your luggage, tent, or backpack.
- Hanging Loop. The best camping towels come with a high-quality hanging hook or loop, which allows you to conveniently hang your towel to dry quickly. This helps to avoid bacteria collecting on your towel, which has been known to happen if your towel remains damp or doesn't fully dry before you pack it away.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty included with your camping towel is another important consideration. Most reputable outdoor companies will include some type of warranty with their products. Make sure to inspect your camping towel upon delivery for any manufacturing defects. If there are any issues, reach out to the company's customer-service team, and it will likely offer a refund or replacement.
Best Camping Towel Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- When shopping for a camping towel, make sure to consider a number of factors, like the material that it’s made from and how long it takes to dry, before making your purchase.
- If you’ll be using your camping towel for swimming, showering, or bathing, make sure it’s one of the larger options and not just a small hand towel.
- Consider buying a camping towel that includes a convenient carrying bag. The best carrying bags are made from mesh and are very breathable, allowing your towel to remain dry inside.
- Make sure your towel is completely dry before packing it away in your included carrying bag or backpack. If your towel is still damp, it can collect bacteria more easily.
- To ensure your towel dries quickly and completely, consider hanging it from a tree or in a sunny spot at your campsite. Your camping towel may have come with a hanging loop to assist with drying speed.
Q: What is the best camping towel?
Our best overall camping towel choice is the Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel, made from a super-absorbent and quick-drying microfiber, but there are several other high-quality options available. Make sure to read our reviews to determine if another option is the best fit for your needs.
Q: How much is the best camping towel?
The price of the Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel varies depending on the size. This towel is available in a variety of color options and three sizes: 20 by 40 inches, 28 by 56 inches, and 32 by 72 inches.
Q: What is the best quick-dry towel for camping?
The Rainleaf Microfiber Towel is extremely lightweight, compact, and quick-drying. However, any towel that’s made from microfiber material and includes features like hanging loops or hanging hooks will be quicker to dry than other towels.
For a high-quality camping towel, consider the Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel, which can hold up to five times its weight in water, or the Relefree Microfiber Towel, which comes with a mesh bag and carrying loop.
Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite camping towel is and what you love about it.