The Best Camping Cots (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these camping cots to get a good night’s sleep while camping, hiking, or fishing.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Zach Faulds / LAST UPDATED ON March 2, 2021
Just because you’re camping doesn’t mean you need to sleep with rocks, sticks, and whatever else digging into your back. A cot is a simple solution. It raises you off the ground, helping you to get a better night’s sleep. We all know how important it is to feel well rested when daytime activities such as fishing, hiking, and outdoor games are in store. Furthermore, cots are excellent to have around when you need to set up sleeping arrangements for guests or for any time that you need to spend the night somewhere other than your bed. So, what are the best cots on the market? Let’s dive in and find out.
Built-in tent makes it easy to set up camp anywhere. 11 inches of ground clearance keeps the user elevated, so they won’t have to sleep on the ground.
- Oversized and provides enough room for anyone to sleep comfortably
- Multiple-function design also allows this cot to be used as a lounge chair
- Not the best option during cold weather conditions
- Has been known to get quite cold inside during the fall and winter months
54-inch length and 28-inch width paired with its 75-pound weight capacity make this an excellent choice for children. Features a canvas sleeping area that is resistant to tears.
- Built-in sheet promises to keep youngsters comfortable through the night
- Assembly-free design for easy setup
- All-steel construction makes it very durable
- Issues with the portability of this camping cot
- No carrying handles included with the bag, which makes it difficult if you need to carry this cot a long distance
Measures 44.5 inches wide and 85.75 inches long. It can also support 600 pounds easily. These design features make it great for individuals or couples.
- Rubber feet provide shock absorption for added stability and comfort
- Weighs just under 30 pounds and folds up for easy transportation
- Make sure all parts are included with your purchase
- Some customers have reported missing parts or pieces
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Camping Cot
- Comfort: Perhaps the biggest benefit of using a camping cot is comfort. Your objective when shopping for a camping cot is to get a good night of sleep while camping.
- Storage: Both the weight and foldability of your camping cot are important factors to consider. If you will be carrying your cot a long distance to your campsite, then having a lightweight, foldable option that fits into a carrying bag with handles can be a lifesaver.
- Durability: It's important to find a camping cot that is durable and made from heavy-duty materials that are built to last. That way you will not have to buy another camping cot anytime soon.
Types of Camping Cots
A double camping cot is typically designed to fit up to two adults. It is the perfect type of camping cot for couples or for someone who wants a larger bed while camping. Many double camping cots also come with additional features like neck support, pillows, or extra padding, but make sure to bring extra accessories with you if you purchase a basic model.
This type of camping cot generally includes a foldable cot frame as the base, with an inflatable mattress on top for added comfort. Some of these inflatable mattresses are self-inflating, while others require an air pump or hand pump to inflate. If you do not have a pump, it is recommended that you purchase one to avoid having to inflate the mattress by mouth.
Camping cots for children come in single and bunk bed styles. They are fairly lightweight and often come with side panels and end panels so that your child does not roll out of the cot while sleeping. There is typically a weight limit included with this type of camping cot, so make sure to double-check the limit before your child uses it.
Founded in 1999, Kamp-Rite has become one of the most well-known and reputable companies for outdoor equipment and camping gear. In addition to camping cots, Kamp-Rite manufactures camping hammocks, coolers, sleeping bags, and more.
Founded in 2005 and headquartered at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains in Cedar Hills, Utah, the reputable outdoors company has a showroom and warehouse in Salt Lake City. In addition to camping cots, Teton produces backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, and more.
Founded in 1900, this reputable brand of outdoor recreation products and camping gear is currently headquartered in Chicago. It has over 4,000 employees and other factories in Kansas and Texas. In addition to camping cots, Coleman produces sleeping bags, grills, coolers, lanterns, and other camping accessories.
Camping Cot Pricing
- Under $100: Camping cots in this price range are available at a great value. Some of them may have low weight limits or be intended for children, so make sure to double-check before purchasing.
- $100-$200: This is the most common price range for camping cots. These camping cots are typically available as single options that are extremely comfortable or as double camping cots designed for couples.
- $200 and up: This is the premium price range for camping cots. Products in this price range typically come with added accessories like built-in pillows, canopies, or inflatable mattresses.
The size of your camping cot is one of the most important features to consider. In general, camping cots are designed to fit one person, but some variations include wider or longer lengths. Some camping cots are even designed to fit couples, while others are smaller cots, designed specifically for children and include side rails and end rails.
The weight of your camping cot is an important feature, especially if you will be carrying your cot a long distance to your campsite. Your camping cot must be lightweight enough to easily carry, but yet still durable enough to hold up over years of extensive use.
The type of metal that the frame of your camping cot is made from and the type of fabric that is spread across the frame are both important considerations. Most camping cots are either made from lightweight aluminum, which is durable and rust-resistant, or stainless steel, which is slightly heavier, but even more durable than aluminum. Nylon and polyester are the most common type of fabrics. They are both tear-resistant and easy to clean. Canvas fabric is also extremely durable, but it is more difficult to clean.
- Accessories: Certain types of camping cots come with several additional features. Some camping cots come with a built-in mattress or inflatable mattress for added comfort. Some even come with built-in pillows or extra padding. Side rails and end rails are included with some camping cots to avoid rolling off your cot during the night.
- Maintenance: Another important consideration is the amount of maintenance needed for your camping cot. Finding a camping cot that is easy to assemble is very important. The type of material that the frame is made from and the type of fabric can also contribute to the maintenance levels. Make sure to find a frame that is built from rust-resistant material and a fabric that is easy to wash for the least amount of maintenance.
- Warranty: The length and type of warranty included with your camping cot are also important considerations. The most reputable companies will typically provide some type of warranty with your camping cot. Make sure that your camping cot comes with at least a limited warranty. Check for any manufacturing defects upon delivery, and contact the manufacturer if there are any issues with your camping cot.
Best Camping Cot Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Although some cots are extremely comfortable, most do not come with pillows or blankets. So make sure to bring your best pillow and blanket to maximize your comfort and warmth.
- You may want to consider bringing extra blankets or a small mattress for extra padding. Most cots do not come with enough padding, especially if you will be using it on a long camping trip.
- In addition to camping, cots make an excellent option for house guests during the holidays when there may not be enough beds available.
- If you intend on carrying your cot to your campsite, make sure it is lightweight foldable and comes with a convenient carrying bag and carrying handles.
- If your cot is of the inflatable version, make sure that you have an air pump or hand pump packed with your luggage. You do not want to be stuck having to inflate an entire cot without a pump.
Q: What is the most comfortable camping cot?
Our most comfortable camping cot is the Alpcour Folding Camping Cot that features convenient neck support. Keep in mind that there are several other comfortable options available. Read our reviews to determine which option is the best fit for your needs.
Q: What is the best cot?
Our best overall camping cot is the Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot, which includes a built-in tent, but there are several other high-quality options available. Make sure to read our reviews to determine if another option is the best fit for your needs.
Q: How can I make my camping cot more comfortable?
To make your camping cot more comfortable, make sure you bring a pillow, blanket, and consider adding extra padding. A sleeping pad that fits that size of your cot can be an excellent addition for added comfort throughout the night.
Q: What's the difference between a cot and a cot bed?
The difference between a cot and a cot bed is that the cot bed has removable sides and an end panel. The purpose of the sides and end panel is for use with children or toddlers. A cot bed is typically larger than a cot but smaller than a single bed. It requires a mattress and bedding designed specifically for it.
For a high-quality camping cot, consider the Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot, featuring a built-in tent, or the Regalo Gray Extra-Long My Cot Portable Toddler Bed, which is an excellent choice for children.
Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite camping cot is and what you love about it.