LAST UPDATED: March 2, 2021
The Best Camping Cots (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these camping cots to get a good night’s sleep while camping, hiking, or fishing.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON March 2, 2021
Just because you’re camping doesn’t mean you need to sleep with rocks, sticks, and whatever else digging into your back. A cot is a simple solution. It raises you off the ground, helping you to get a better night’s sleep. We all know how important it is to feel well rested when daytime activities such as fishing, hiking, and outdoor games are in store. Furthermore, cots are excellent to have around when you need to set up sleeping arrangements for guests or for any time that you need to spend the night somewhere other than your bed. So, what are the best cots on the market? Let’s dive in and find out.
Built-in tent makes it easy to set up camp anywhere. 11 inches of ground clearance keeps the user elevated, so they won’t have to sleep on the ground.
- Oversized and provides enough room for anyone to sleep comfortably
- Multiple-function design also allows this cot to be used as a lounge chair
- Not the best option during cold weather conditions
- Has been known to get quite cold inside during the fall and winter months
54-inch length and 28-inch width paired with its 75-pound weight capacity make this an excellent choice for children. Features a canvas sleeping area that is resistant to tears.
- Built-in sheet promises to keep youngsters comfortable through the night
- Assembly-free design for easy setup
- All-steel construction makes it very durable
- Issues with the portability of this camping cot
- No carrying handles included with the bag, which makes it difficult if you need to carry this cot a long distance
Measures 44.5 inches wide and 85.75 inches long. It can also support 600 pounds easily. These design features make it great for individuals or couples.
- Rubber feet provide shock absorption for added stability and comfort
- Weighs just under 30 pounds and folds up for easy transportation
- Make sure all parts are included with your purchase
- Some customers have reported missing parts or pieces
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Camping Cot
- Comfort: Perhaps the biggest benefit of using a camping cot is comfort. Your objective when shopping for a camping cot is to get a good night of sleep while camping.
- Storage: Both the weight and foldability of your camping cot are important factors to consider. If you will be carrying your cot a long distance to your campsite, then having a lightweight, foldable option that fits into a carrying bag with handles can be a lifesaver.
- Durability: It's important to find a camping cot that is durable and made from heavy-duty materials that are built to last. That way you will not have to buy another camping cot anytime soon.
Types of Camping Cots
A double camping cot is typically designed to fit up to two adults. It is the perfect type of camping cot for couples or for someone who wants a larger bed while camping. Many double camping cots also come with additional features like neck support, pillows, or extra padding, but make sure to bring extra accessories with you if you purchase a basic model.
This type of camping cot generally includes a foldable cot frame as the base, with an inflatable mattress on top for added comfort. Some of these inflatable mattresses are self-inflating, while others require an air pump or hand pump to inflate. If you do not have a pump, it is recommended that you purchase one to avoid having to inflate the mattress by mouth.
Camping cots for children come in single and bunk bed styles. They are fairly lightweight and often come with side panels and end panels so that your child does not roll out of the cot while sleeping. There is typically a weight limit included with this type of camping cot, so make sure to double-check the limit before your child uses it.
Founded in 1999, Kamp-Rite has become one of the most well-known and reputable companies for outdoor equipment and camping gear. In addition to camping cots, Kamp-Rite manufactures camping hammocks, coolers, sleeping bags, and more.
Founded in 2005 and headquartered at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains in Cedar Hills, Utah, the reputable outdoors company has a showroom and warehouse in Salt Lake City. In addition to camping cots, Teton produces backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, and more.
Founded in 1900, this reputable brand of outdoor recreation products and camping gear is currently headquartered in Chicago. It has over 4,000 employees and other factories in Kansas and Texas. In addition to camping cots, Coleman produces sleeping bags, grills, coolers, lanterns, and other camping accessories.
Camping Cot Pricing
- Under $100: Camping cots in this price range are available at a great value. Some of them may have low weight limits or be intended for children, so make sure to double-check before purchasing.
- $100-$200: This is the most common price range for camping cots. These camping cots are typically available as single options that are extremely comfortable or as double camping cots designed for couples.
- $200 and up: This is the premium price range for camping cots. Products in this price range typically come with added accessories like built-in pillows, canopies, or inflatable mattresses.
The size of your camping cot is one of the most important features to consider. In general, camping cots are designed to fit one person, but some variations include wider or longer lengths. Some camping cots are even designed to fit couples, while others are smaller cots, designed specifically for children and include side rails and end rails.
The weight of your camping cot is an important feature, especially if you will be carrying your cot a long distance to your campsite. Your camping cot must be lightweight enough to easily carry, but yet still durable enough to hold up over years of extensive use.
The type of metal that the frame of your camping cot is made from and the type of fabric that is spread across the frame are both important considerations. Most camping cots are either made from lightweight aluminum, which is durable and rust-resistant, or stainless steel, which is slightly heavier, but even more durable than aluminum. Nylon and polyester are the most common type of fabrics. They are both tear-resistant and easy to clean. Canvas fabric is also extremely durable, but it is more difficult to clean.
- Accessories: Certain types of camping cots come with several additional features. Some camping cots come with a built-in mattress or inflatable mattress for added comfort. Some even come with built-in pillows or extra padding. Side rails and end rails are included with some camping cots to avoid rolling off your cot during the night.
- Maintenance: Another important consideration is the amount of maintenance needed for your camping cot. Finding a camping cot that is easy to assemble is very important. The type of material that the frame is made from and the type of fabric can also contribute to the maintenance levels. Make sure to find a frame that is built from rust-resistant material and a fabric that is easy to wash for the least amount of maintenance.
- Warranty: The length and type of warranty included with your camping cot are also important considerations. The most reputable companies will typically provide some type of warranty with your camping cot. Make sure that your camping cot comes with at least a limited warranty. Check for any manufacturing defects upon delivery, and contact the manufacturer if there are any issues with your camping cot.
Best Camping Cot Reviews & Recommendations 2021
Our award for best overall camping cot goes to the Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot. What separates it from other options is the built-in tent. This makes it easy to set up camp anywhere. Eleven inches of ground clearance keeps the user elevated, so they won’t have to deal with the discomfort associated with sleeping on the ground. It is also oversized and provides enough room for anyone to sleep comfortably. The multiple-function design also allows this cot to be used as a lounge chair. Multiple positions of the lounge chair configuration give users the ability to rest with their legs up or down. Whether for camping, hiking, or just enjoying the backyard, this cot is an excellent choice.
One downside of the Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot is that it is not the best option during cold weather conditions. Although it is advertised to work in all weather conditions, most customers have reported that this tent/cot combo will get quite cold inside during the fall and winter months. If you are camping in warm weather, this camping cot is a perfect option
The Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot is our favorite choice in terms of large cots. When set up, this cot measures 44.5 inches wide and 85.75 inches long. It can also support 600 pounds easily. These design features make it great for individuals or couples. Even with more than a single person, there is enough room to spread out and relax. Rubber feet also provide shock absorption for added stability and comfort. Despite being as big as it is, this cot weighs just under 30 pounds and folds up for easy transportation. Assembly is required, but the optional pivot-arm feature makes pulling the canvas surface tight extremely easy. This 600D canvas surface is just as comfortable as it is durable. It is resistant to tears and abuse, making this cot excellent for any outdoor setting.
Double-check the Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot upon delivery to make sure that all parts are included with your purchase. Some customers have reported that there have been missing parts or pieces. If this happens, reach out to Teton as soon as possible, and their customer service team will be happy to send you any replacement parts you may need.
Our favorite camping cot with an included air mattress is the Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo. Cots aren’t known to be the most comfortable sleeping arrangement, but this one changes things. This option is offered in queen or twin sizes, making it perfect for the use of a single person or couple. Either configuration offers superior weight capacity as well. The twin size can support up to 300 pounds while the queen can handle 600 pounds. The included air mattress will help users forget they are even sleeping outdoors and is held in place with a sewn-in cover for maximized comfort. What makes this combination great for use in any setting is its battery-powered pump. There is no need to rely on outlets of any kind, meaning this cot is easy to set up no matter where it is.
One downside of the Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo is that it can be quite noisy during the night. Customers have reported that this camping cot has been known to squeak throughout the night. So if you are not a sound sleeper or have a tendency to toss and turn throughout the night, this may not be the best option for you.
Kids need cots, too, and the Regalo Gray Extra-Long My Cot Portable Toddler Bed is our pick for them. The 54-inch length and 28-inch width paired with its 75-pound weight capacity make this an excellent choice for children or toddlers. It features a canvas sleeping area that is resistant to tears, and the built-in sheet promises to keep youngsters comfortable through the night. This is also an assembly-free design for easy setup. All-steel construction makes it very durable, but it is still very lightweight. Additionally, it folds down to a very compact configuration that makes it extremely easy to carry to campsites and more. While it is perfect for camping, this cot is excellent for a range of applications. Sleepovers, travel, and playtime will all be significantly benefited by the My Cot.
One issue with the Regalo Gray Extra-Long My Cot Portable Toddler Bed is with the portability of this camping cot. While the carrying bag is a nice storage option, it is not the best if you will be carrying this cot to your campsite. There are no carrying handles included with the bag, which makes it quite difficult if you need to carry this cot a long distance.
The Alpcour Folding Camping Cot offers a few design features specifically meant to provide neck support. The cot design has a slightly elevated head area that is highly desirable for many campers. Additionally, a built-in pillow that is specifically designed to cradle the neck compliments this position for support while resting. This also means campers won’t need to sacrifice storage space for a pillow. It is very portable, as well. It weighs just 14 pounds and can fold up to a very compact size. The included shoulder bag makes it easy to carry anywhere. This also means there is little to no strain while carrying this cot. Despite its weight, it is capable of supporting up to 300 pounds, making it perfect for many adults.
One downside of the Alpcour Folding Camping Cot is that it is not quite as durable as other camping cots. After extensive use, the stitching has been known to become stretched out, particularly if you are a larger individual. The Alpcour team is known for its excellent customer service, so if this happens to you, just reach out to them, and they may send you a replacement, even if it is still not under warranty.
The KingCamp Folding Bed Camping Portable Cot is another great value option. If you are planning to travel long distances to your campsite or will be using your camping cot while backpacking, this may be the ideal product for you. This camping cot can be fully assembled in just a few minutes and is extremely lightweight. It has a simple folding mechanism and also includes a built-in headrest for added comfort. The cot can hold up to 265 pounds and is made from a durable 600D double layer oxford fabric, designed to last for years before needing to be replaced. This camping cot weighs under 16 pounds and easily fits into the included storage bag for a convenient travel option.
One downside of the KingCamp Folding Bed Camping Portable Cot is that it is not quite as comfortable as other options. Although the built-in headrest is a great feature, you will likely need your own pillow to enjoy a night of sleep. The position of the metal bars on the frame are also quite uncomfortable if you will be using this cot without any extra padding. So make sure to at least bring extra blankets and a pillow with you if you will be using this cot for extended periods or multiple nights of sleeping.
At an extremely low weight of just under three pounds, the Helinox Lite Portable Camping Cot is the perfect option for backpacking. This camping cot can easily be attached to your backpack or even fit inside your luggage. Despite its lightweight, this product is extremely comfortable. It is made from aluminum alloy legs and frame, which are very durable. Both the cot cover and zippered carrying case are made from a high-quality 600-weave rip-stop polyester fabric. When assembled, it will suspend you about 5 inches off the ground. A five-year manufacturer's warranty is included with this cot, which will cover any major issues or manufacturing defects. It is recommended to bring extra padding if you will be using this camping cot for extensive periods or multiple nights of camping in a row.
One major downside of the Helinox Lite Portable Camping Cot is that it is priced at a premium. If you are a backpacker in need of a lightweight cot, then it is worth the high price point. But if you are looking for a comfortable cot that is easy to assemble, this may not be the perfect option for your camping needs. It is rather difficult to assemble and does not provide much support for your head or frame while sleeping.
The DESERT WALKER Camping Cot is an ideal option for larger individuals. This camping cot is designed to support up to 440 pounds of weight. It is made from a strong-7001 aviation aluminum rod material and a specially-designed Oxford fabric that is completely tear-resistant. The camping cot weighs under three pounds and can be easily collapsed into a convenient storage bag that can be carried with just one hand. The bag can simply be attached to your backpack or fit seamlessly into your luggage. It can be assembled and have you ready for a night of sleep in just a few minutes. The design will keep you elevated and off the hard or wet ground throughout the night. If you will be using this cot for multiple nights in a row, you may want to travel with a pillow and extra blankets or sleeping pads. One downside of the DESERT WALKER Camping Cot is with its frame.
The frame of this camping cot is extremely narrow compared to other cot options. If you are a side sleeper who tends to toss and turn throughout the night, this is not the camping cot for you. This camping cot should only be used by the most sound sleepers.
- Although some cots are extremely comfortable, most do not come with pillows or blankets. So make sure to bring your best pillow and blanket to maximize your comfort and warmth.
- You may want to consider bringing extra blankets or a small mattress for extra padding. Most cots do not come with enough padding, especially if you will be using it on a long camping trip.
- In addition to camping, cots make an excellent option for house guests during the holidays when there may not be enough beds available.
- If you intend on carrying your cot to your campsite, make sure it is lightweight foldable and comes with a convenient carrying bag and carrying handles.
- If your cot is of the inflatable version, make sure that you have an air pump or hand pump packed with your luggage. You do not want to be stuck having to inflate an entire cot without a pump.
Q: What is the most comfortable camping cot?
Our most comfortable camping cot is the Alpcour Folding Camping Cot that features convenient neck support. Keep in mind that there are several other comfortable options available. Read our reviews to determine which option is the best fit for your needs.
Q: What is the best cot?
Our best overall camping cot is the Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot, which includes a built-in tent, but there are several other high-quality options available. Make sure to read our reviews to determine if another option is the best fit for your needs.
Q: How can I make my camping cot more comfortable?
To make your camping cot more comfortable, make sure you bring a pillow, blanket, and consider adding extra padding. A sleeping pad that fits that size of your cot can be an excellent addition for added comfort throughout the night.
Q: What's the difference between a cot and a cot bed?
The difference between a cot and a cot bed is that the cot bed has removable sides and an end panel. The purpose of the sides and end panel is for use with children or toddlers. A cot bed is typically larger than a cot but smaller than a single bed. It requires a mattress and bedding designed specifically for it.
For a high-quality camping cot, consider the Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot, featuring a built-in tent, or the Regalo Gray Extra-Long My Cot Portable Toddler Bed, which is an excellent choice for children.
Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite camping cot is and what you love about it.