LAST UPDATED: December 11, 2020
The Best Lawn Mower Covers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON December 11, 2020
Out of storage space in your garage or shed? If that’s the case, you might be storing your lawn mower outside. While that might not seem like a big concern, keeping your lawn mower uncovered and exposed outdoors can lead to plenty of problems. It’s like ruining your investment — weather, wind, and sunlight can all wreak havoc on your expensive mower. Instead of letting your lawn mower face the elements, keep it protected with a lawn mower cover.
A simple lawn mower cover can offer your most important lawn maintenance tool a shield against debris, dirt, and all different kinds of weather. And regardless of whether you own a traditional push lawn mower or a riding lawn mower, there’s a cover available in the right size and with the right features. From waterproof to UV ray resistant to extra-strong, there’s a lawn mower cover that will meet your needs. You can find some of the best covers below.
This cover protects lawn mowers from rain, dirt, and UV damage. It’s designed to fit zero-turn lawn mowers with a 60-inch deck.
- Weatherproof design
- Resists ballooning in windy conditions
- Comes with a storage bag. Provides a custom fit
- Backed with a one-year warranty
- Discolors quickly when exposed to the elements
- Might tear at stress points
- Thin material
This cover is made of double-stitched, 600D Oxford fabric. It’s designed for walk-behind lawn mowers with a maximum size of 25 by 74 inches.
- Affordable yet durable
- Resists wear and tear
- Provides year-round protection from the elements
- Lightweight for easy installation
- Discolors quickly
- Tightening cord isn’t as secure as an elastic hem
- May get blown away during strong winds
This marine-grade cover is made of 600D fabric with a waterproof PU rubber coating. It measures 92 x 64 x 55 inches and fits zero-turn lawn mowers.
- Tear-resistant fabric
- Includes a weatherproof coating
- Resists water penetration even during a heavy downpour
- Doesn’t crack in freezing temperatures
- Elastic hem limits customization
- Thinner than most premium covers
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Lawn Mower Covers
- Keep the lawn mower clean. Covering your lawnmower when it’s not in use helps to prevent dust or dirt buildup that can clog or damage the joints, bearings, and moving components.
- Protection from the elements. Lawnmower covers help to protect the equipment from premature damage from exposure to the elements. Most are water-resistant and UV protected so they will keep out water, and at the same time prevent damage from intense sun rays.
- Prevent rust. Most of the lawn mowers parts are made of metal, and obviously, metal can rust when exposed to moisture or the elements. When the metal parts start rusting, they will eventually fall off or get jammed with time, which means that you have to buy a new machine.
- Keep away pests. Rodents and other small animals may chew at the wires or create nests on your machine. Using a cover with an elastic hem or tightening cord helps to keep the animals out.
Types of Lawn Mower Covers
These are designed for lawnmowers that are stored in a shed, garage, or any indoor space. They offer a basic level of protection against humidity, water, dust, dirt, and pests. However, they won’t last long if used to cover outdoor equipment and may start fraying or cracking when exposed to extreme weather.
These covers are designed for lawnmowers that are stored outside where they are constantly exposed to harsh weather and the elements. The covers have a sturdier construction that can hold up to the harsh environment, and most are waterproof, UV protected, and wind-resistant. Also, they can offer years of protection.
From its headquarters in Kent, Wash., Classic Accessories designs some of the best equipment and automotive covers, furnishings, and accessories. It was founded in 1983 by Jacob Engelstein. If you’re looking for a high-quality cover for a large lawn mower, consider the Zero Turn Mower Cover.
WeatherPRO specializes in designing indoor and outdoor equipment covers that provide all-weather protection. All of its covers are designed with tear-resistant 300D material and have a polyurethane lining that helps to keep your lawn mower clean and dry. The Lawn Mower Cover and the Camo Style Cover are some of its top products.
Lawn Mower Covers Pricing
- Under $30: Expect to find basic covers here that are best used to shield lawn mowers that are stored indoors. Most are lightweight and are ideal for covering lawnmowers that are used frequently since they can be installed or folded away easily. You can also find great outdoor equipment covers for less than $20.
- $30 and up: Most of the covers within this price range are multifunctional, and can be used to cover a wide range of lawn mowers and even motorcycles. They typically come with reinforced designs so the cover can hold up to inclement weather and the elements. Most offer the same level of protection as automotive covers.
Consider the size and the type of lawn mower you have, and choose an appropriate cover. For example, a lawn tractor or zero-turn mower cover is typically larger than a push mower cover. The latter usually come in a universal size so you won’t have any trouble finding a perfect fit. However, the other options come in a range of sizes so you need to check on the dimensions as advertised by the manufacturer.
Consider if you will be storing the lawnmower indoors or outdoors. For indoor storage, you will only need a simple cover that keeps out dirt and pests. However, for outdoor storage, you need a tougher material that can stand up to the elements. You will need a cover that’s waterproof, wind-proof, and UV protected. Extra features that provide weather protection are a welcome advantage.
Buying a cover with a securing mechanism is important if you don’t always want to find the cover blown off by the wind or sitting on the floor. Therefore, you should prioritize covers with either an elastic hem at the bottom or a drawstring that helps you tighten the cover on the machine’s body.
- Air Vents. Air vents on the cover help to air the equipment so it can stay dry even in humid conditions. This helps to keep mold or mildew from forming on the lawn mower.
- Storage Pouch. When you need to use the lawn mower, you will need a convenient place to store the cover so it can stay clean and within reach whenever you need it. This is why you should select covers that come with a storage bag.
- Warranty: Prioritize covers that come with a warranty; it not only gives you peace of mind but also serves as a guarantee that you are buying a top-tier product.
Best Lawn Mower Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
If you need a bigger cover suited for a riding lawn mower, the Classic Accessories Zero Turn Riding Mower Cover will do the job. Suitable for zero-turn mowers with a deck of up to 60 inches, this cover is made with Weather-X fabric that features water-resistant backing. The fabric is somewhat thin, but it’ll protect against both weather and all kinds of abrasion, as well as UV damage, rain, dirt, birds, and tree sap. At the bottom hem of the cover, there’s an elastic shock cord that provides a custom, secure fit.
The cover is easy to slip over your mower, and you don’t have to worry about tears from movement. It features reinforced air vents to allow wind and air to blow through, preventing potential ballooning. When you’re not using this cover, you can roll it up and place it inside the included storage bag.
The Himal Lawn Mower Cover is an excellent all-around choice for any walk-behind or push lawn mowers. This cover is universal, which means it’s sized to fit nearly any lawn mower up to 25 x 74 inches. It’ll cover all kinds of different models, including Toro, Craftsman, Honda, Greenworks, and more lawn mowers. It’s made out of strong 600D Oxford cloth with double stitching that can resist regular wear and tear. And, this lawn mower cover is also incredibly waterproof, as it features a double waterproof coating on the inside. Though the fabric may discolor easily, it’ll effectively keep out potentially harmful elements like sunlight, rain, wind, dust, leaves, birds, and more.
A tough tightening cord at the bottom of the cover lets you securely wrap up the entire machine. The cover also comes with a storage bag, so any time you remove the cover, you can easily roll it up, and pack it away.
Keep your zero-turn lawn mower or large tractor safe from the elements with this cover featuring a weatherproof design made of polyurethane coating. The PU coating is on the inner layer and at the seams, while the outer layer is made of marine-grade 600D fabric. This makes it more reliable for all-weather protection than standard covers. The cover protects the equipment from dust, dirt, bird droppings, rain, snow, and harmful UV rays. An elastic hem provides a snug fit, and while this limits the type of lawnmowers it can fit on, it helps to secure the cover on the lawn mower even in strong winds.
The design also includes two air vents to prevent condensation in humid conditions, and the fabric resists cracking in subzero temperature. When not in use, you can fold and store it neatly in the storage bag provided.
The ToughCover Premium Lawn Tractor Cover is designed for smaller-sized riding lawn mowers. And even though you might have a heavier-duty lawn mower, you can still find a high-quality cover to protect your investment. This lawn mower cover is incredibly strong, and customers love how it can resist tears even over years of use. It’s made with 600D marine-grade fabric and double-stitched seams that enhance durability. The cover is tear-resistant, even in windy conditions. And that same protection against ripping and tearing provides waterproof protection and long-lasting coverage for other elements like snow, debris, and wildlife — it can even protect against mold.
You can use the cover year-round in any weather without having to bring your mower inside for added protection. It may discolor slightly in the sun, but that won’t affect its quality. This cover suits most riding lawn mowers with decks up to 54 inches in size.
The WeatherPRO Lawn Mower Cover is built to withstand all kinds of weather. And that makes this cover one of the toughest, most durable products you can buy. It’s made with 100 percent marine grade advanced polyester material with special co-polymer additives. That means this cover can provide UV protection and repel water. It’ll keep your mower protected from the most extreme elements, whether that’s rain, snow, sun, tree sap, pollen, dust, dirt, wind, or birds. It’s tear-resistant, lined with polyurethane, and incredibly easy to slip over a mower of any size. It can fit virtually any size of push lawn mower, both gas and electric in style.
A drawcord at the bottom of the cover might not hold up to strong winds, but you can adjust the cord for a tight, secure fit. You’ll enjoy a 100 percent “no questions asked” guarantee, should you encounter any issues.
Hybrid Covers offers a reliable cover that can help to keep your lawnmower in good condition when it’s not in use. It’s designed as a universal fit for push, gas, or electric lawn mowers that are up to 35 inches wide. The cover is made of Oxford polyester fabric featuring advanced polymers that resist tears and water penetration. It’s also UV Protected. This helps to provide year-round protection from rain, snow, and sunny conditions so you can leave your lawn mower outside without worrying about damage.
Being a thin cover, it may fly off during strong winds, but a drawcord helps to provide a snug fit so the cover doesn’t get blown off easily. It also helps to keep out dirt, dust, rodents, and other small animals to prevent premature damage to the internal components.
Keep your lawnmowers, tractors, motorcycles, and other outdoor equipment dry and safe with Maxpower’s lawn mower cover. It has an outdoor-themed, dark grey color, and measures 78 x 30 x 43 inches — it’s big enough to cover large electric lawn mowers. This multi-purpose cover provides long-lasting protection against rain, snow, and intense UV rays so your lawn mower can stay dry and in good condition even as the weather changes. It also resists mold build-up so it doesn’t have a funky smell even when left on for weeks, and helps to keep the equipment clean by keeping out dirt and dust.
The cover is easy to adjust, and though it doesn’t come with a storage bag, the fabric folds easily into a compact size for storage.
If you don’t need heavy-duty protection from the elements, the Eventronic Riding Lawn Mower Cover is a great choice. Though it’s tough enough to withstand plenty of outdoor elements, this cover is better suited for those who don’t live in areas with extreme weather. It’s made with lighter fabric — 210D polyester Oxford nylon fabric — and includes polyurethane coating for waterproofing. It’ll protect your mower from UV damage, and the seamless stitching around the cover will prevent tears or rips. It slips over your riding lawn mower and snaps into place with an elastic hem to ensure a close fit.
This cover measures 71 x 47 x 43 inches in size, and it’s suitable for 54-inch lawn mowers. Rain, snow, wind, and more won’t have any effect on your mower once this cover is on.
- Let the engine cool down before adding the cover. Some covers that aren’t heat-resistant may melt if placed on a hot lawnmower.
- Ensure that the cover lays flat on the machine and that you secure the cover tightly on the machine if it has tightening cords to keep it from being blown away in the wind.
- Be sure to clean out dirt from your lawnmower, and ensure that the machine is dry before covering it. This way, you won’t transfer the dirt to other parts of the lawn mower, and it will prevent mold from forming in the cover. It will also help to keep the cover clean.
- If you live in a sunny area, opt for light-colored covers instead of dark colors; they reflect light away from the machine and help to keep it cool. Dark colors will retain more heat, which can melt the tires or rubber grips.
- Be sure to clean and dry the cover before storing it. You can wipe it down with a soft microfiber cloth and dry it in the sun before folding It. This will help prevent the growth of mildew. If your cover isn’t wet or stained, consider shaking it off to remove dust, debris, pollen, or bug stains.
Q: Do lawn mower covers work?
If you have to store your lawn mower outside or leave it in storage for a long while, then you need a lawn mower cover to protect it from dirt, rust, and the elements. This will help to keep the lawn mower clean and in good working condition for longer.
Q: How do I cover my lawn mower outside?
You need a waterproof lawn mower cover that will protect the lawn mower from the elements. A tarp can help to protect the machine when it’s stored indoors, but a lawn mower cover is more ideal for outdoor use since it won’t be blown off.
Q: Is it worth repairing a lawn mower?
It depends on what part is damaged and the extent of the damage. It would be prudent to have a professional estimate the cost of the repairs, and then you can analyze whether it's cheaper to replace or repair. For example, engine damage is typically expensive, and you may also incur more maintenance costs in the future. In this case, it’s better to replace the equipment.
The Classic Accessories Zero Turn Mower Cover earns our top spot because it’s a strong cover that provides all-season protection to your lawn mower whether it’s stored indoors or outdoors. In the same breath, we also recommend the Himal Lawn Mower Cover, which is a budget-friendly cover that offers almost the same level of protection as the higher-priced covers.