Best 6 Person Tents (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these six-person tents for camping in large groups or with your entire family.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Zach Faulds / LAST UPDATED ON February 25, 2021
Experiencing the great outdoors is one of life’s greatest joys. The chance to escape the city and have some quality family time filled with fresh air and all of nature’s wonders is truly rewarding. Adding comfort and function to the experience is having enough space to maneuver easily, and the best six-person tent offers precisely that. With sufficient room to store camping items, these tents provide protection from the elements and have enough room for occupants to sleep comfortably.
Having a quality shelter opens up more outdoor opportunities since you don’t have to worry about wind or rain. The best six-person tents are durable, roomy, and structured to suit your needs. Since there are numerous products on the market, we’ve broken down the best options available to help you find the perfect one for your needs. Take a look at some of the most popular choices among camping enthusiasts.
Available in a khaki green exterior with gray overhead panels, the tent blends well into natural surroundings. It features sufficient room to place two queen inflatable beds.
- Ceiling height of just under 6 feet
- Welded corners and reversed seams for water protection
- Has been known to ship with missing parts
- Some customers have reported missing poles, so make sure to double-check that everything is included in your delivery
This polyester taffeta tent is 10 x 9 feet x 5.9 feet. It also has 10 x 5 feet of space dedicated to a screened-in porch.
- Can accommodate two queen-size air beds
- Has a rainfly
- Takes just 15 minutes to set up
- Easy to roll back up for storage.
- Rain easily gets into the screened-in porch area and can be tough to clean up
- Rainfly interferes with ventilation.
Capable of fitting two queen size inflatables, the 6-foot ceiling offers a great deal of moving room.
- Manufactured using high-grade polymer, this product is sturdy and useful in all weather conditions
- Blocking out water and offering adjustable ventilation at its base
- Not as sturdy as comparable models
- Tent poles bend fairly easily, particularly when windy or camping in harsh weather conditions
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Six-Person Tents
- Size. Perhaps the biggest benefit of a six-person camping tent is its size. These tents can comfortably fit a large group of people or an entire family inside.
- Comfort. Six-person camping tents protect from wind, rain, and harsh weather conditions. They allow you for a comfortable, good night of rest while shielding you from the elements.
- Accessories. Features like extra doors and windows, screened porch areas, and enough height for standing are among the benefits that six-person camping tents can offer.
Types of Six-Person Tents
Dome style tents are the most popular type of six-person camping tent. They are most recognized for their curved pole structure, creating the look of a camping dome. Two long poles stretch vertically over the tent, intersecting at the top, and locking into the ground. A dome tent offers ample space and headroom. Some dome tents even have rain flies and a screened porch section.
Pop-up tents are by far the easiest type of six-person tent to install. Simply pop it up, and it is ready for use. In addition to camping, this type of tent makes a great backyard tent for families and is commonly used at music festivals or outdoor events. They are relatively inexpensive, but you may want to consider a more durable type of tent if you are a frequent camper.
A tunnel tent is by far the most spacious of all the types of six-person tents. Tunnel tents offer tons of sleeping space and can easily accommodate large families. This type of tent features multiple flexible poles that stretch from one end of the tent to the other, forming a tunnel shape. As long as there is enough room for this large tent at your campsite, tunnel tents can be the perfect option for group camping.
Founded in 1900, this reputable brand of outdoor recreation products and camping gear is currently headquartered in Chicago. It has over 4,000 employees and other factories in Kansas and Texas. In addition to camping tents, Coleman produces sleeping bags, grills, coolers, lanterns, and other camping accessories.
Core has made a name for itself as a leading camping and outdoor equipment brand. The company specializes in products to enhance all your outdoor activities. In addition to camping tents, Core produces flashlights, camping chairs, sleeping bags, apparel, and more.
Pacific Breeze is a reputable company that specializes in camping equipment and beach products. The company has built a reputation for its quality outdoor equipment and delivers across the U.S. In addition to beach tents, Pacific Breeze also produces beach shelters, lounge chairs, and other accessories.
Six-Person Tent Pricing
- Under $150: Six-person tents in this price range provide excellent value. If you are shopping on a budget, tents in this range are your ideal option.
- $150-$200: This is the most common price range for six-person tents. Tents in this range are high-quality and provide excellent protection from rain, wind, cold, and other elements.
- $200 and up: Tents in this range provide ultimate protection and often feature multiple doors, porch areas, and other premium accessories.
Perhaps the most important feature of any six-person tent is durability. Your tent must be built to withstand the test of time and a variety of tough weather conditions. The best durable tents should have sturdy poles, secure grommets, reinforced zippers and seams, and heavy-duty waterproof fabric.
The type of material that your six-person tent is made from is another important feature. Most six-person tents are made from nylon fabric that is lightweight and very durable. Make sure your tent features a ripstop fabric to prevent tears and rips. Your tent material must be fully waterproof, well insulated, and weather resistant.
Choosing a six-person tent with a stable framework and sturdy poles is of the utmost importance. Your tent's poles should be both lightweight and easy to set up. Poles can be made from a variety of reliable materials, including aluminum and fiberglass. The poles should be flexible and able to be secured safely together for stable tent setup.
- Waterproof. Purchasing a tent that is 100 percent waterproof and weather resistant is an important consideration. If your tent is not built from a well coated, water-resistant fabric, you will not be able to enjoy a comfortable night of sleep. If you find that your tent is not fully waterproof, you may want to consider an option with a rain fly to protect you from moisture at night.
- Ventilation. Finding a tent that has proper ventilation is another important consideration when choosing your six-person tent. Air vents at the top of the tent help eliminate condensation and moisture on the inside of your tent. Mesh panels, windows, and doors allow you to cool down your tent and keep out insects and other pests.
- Warranty. Most six-person tents should include some warranty or a limited warranty. Tents that are made from reputable companies come with a warranty, while some may even include a lifetime warranty to cover any manufacturing defects. Most outdoor equipment companies have quality customer service, and you should not hesitate to contact them if there are any issues or defects in your tent.
Best 6 Person Tents Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If you plan to camp with your entire family or in large groups, make sure your tent can comfortably fit six people inside before purchasing. Tents advertised to fit six people come in a wide variety of different sizes.
- If you are an avid camper or planning to use your tent for backpacking trips, look for the tent to be listed as a three-season or four-season tent.
- Ensure that your tent either features a fully waterproof or weatherproof fabric if you are planning to use your tent in the rain or hazardous weather conditions.
- If you purchase a freestanding option that you are hoping to stand inside, make sure the interior's maximum height is tall enough to fit you and your family.
- Make sure to thoroughly read the description and reviews of all tents before purchasing. Some options may require you to buy a separate rainfly or tarp to prevent moisture from leaking into your tent throughout the night.
Q: What is the best six-person tent to buy?
Our best overall six-person tent is the Coleman Montana 6 Person Tent, but several high-quality options are available. Make sure to read our reviews to determine if another option is the best fit for your needs.
Q: What are the best quality family tents?
Many of the six-person tents are ideal for families of up to six. If you are looking for a tent with ample space and room to stand inside, you may want to consider one of the freestanding tent options or a car-camping tent.
Q: Who makes the best quality camping tents?
There are several companies that make great camping tents. Some of our top-rated companies include Coleman, Core, and Pacific Breeze. But companies like Kelty Sequoia, Wenzel, ALPS Mountaineering, and Eureka! make high-quality tents as well.
For a high-quality six-person tent, consider the Coleman Montana 6 Person Tent or the Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room. Drop us a comment and let us know your favorite tent and what you love about it.