Best Low Profile Floor Jacks (Review & Buying Guide) in 2022
Lift your low-sitting sports car to a desirable working height with these low profile floor jacks
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you’re a sports car owner, you know how important it is to have a low profile floor jack. Regular floor jacks just won’t fit, and blocks of wood get lost and never stay in place. Since you work on your own ride, you already know how often you’ll be lifting it for modifications and servicing. That’s why we looked at the best floor jacks out there that cater specifically to low profile vehicles.
Some are aluminum and lightweight, while some are made of steel and are ultra durable for regular use. But we also found portable floor jacks and inexpensive quality jacks as well. No matter your need, this list has you covered. From one-and-a-half tons to three tons, we checked out the best. As a reminder, even if a jack is rated above your car’s weight, a floor jack is meant only to raise the vehicle, and you should always support the vehicle with fixed jack stands.
Arcan ALJ3T 3-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack
This unit is made from aircraft-grade aluminum and has a lifting capacity of 3 tons. It features a dual pump piston for fast lifting.
Durable and lightweight construction. It has an ergonomic lifting arm for comfortable lifting. It's both functional and safety-oriented.
Not as strong as its steel counterparts. Expensive. The rubber pad flattens with frequent use.
Pro-Lift F-767 Grey Low Profile Floor Jack
This floor jack can be positioned in a vehicle with an under clearance of 3.5 inches and can lift it to about 14 inches.
It features a bypass valve that protects it from over pumping. Strong and durable steel construction. More lightweight and compact than most floor jacks.
It’s narrower than most floor jacks. The rubber pad is small and doesn’t offer sufficient protection.
Liftmaster 3-Ton Ultra Low Profile Steel Floor Jack
This dual pump hydraulic system provides the effortless lifting of any 3-ton vehicle. It has heavy-duty steel construction and a lifting range of 3 to 20 inches.
Features a strengthened rubber bumper to prevent damage to the vehicle. The polished steel finish is resistant to corrosion for enhanced durability.
It’s quite heavy since it’s made of steel. The wheels can jam if not regreased. May come in poor packaging.
Benefits of a Low Profile Floor Jack
- Safely lift your vehicle from the ground. A floor jack offers the best stability when lifting or lowering a vehicle in comparison to a scissor or bottle jack. The latter options are only good for changing a tire since they typically don’t have a great weight rating. On the other hand, low profile jacks can lift about three tons and, therefore, are much safer when lifting your vehicle for bigger jobs underneath.
- Save money. If you are mechanically inclined, then you don’t need to spend a lot of money taking your vehicle to the shop for a seasonal tire rotation or oil change or to conduct any other routine maintenance. With the help of a low profile floor jack, you can turn your home garage into your personal workspace.
- Change an unexpected flat tire. You can get a flat tire anywhere and more so if you frequently drive off-road. At times, there may be no service station in sight. Therefore, it’s a good idea to have a floor jack on hand so that you can change the flat tire when it happens.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
From its headquarters in South Carolina, Arcan has carved its niche as one of the best manufacturers of automotive equipment. Apart from designing low profile jacks, the company also makes tool storage drawers, work tables, and impact wrenches. Some of its best floor jacks for lifting lowered cars include the Arcan ALJ3T 3-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack and the Arcan XL20 2-Ton Low Profile Floor Jack.
Pittsburgh Automotive is an automotive equipment manufacturer that has been around since 1977. It’s currently headquartered in Calabasas, California, and has over 500 retail shops in 47 states. A few products in its repertoire include suspension kits, brake components, vehicle diagnostic tools, and of course, floor jacks. The Pittsburgh 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Jack is a great option for lifting your low-sitting Alfa Romeo.
For more than 40 years, Pro-Lift has manufactured professional-grade lifting equipment that meets current ANSI standards. This includes floor jacks, scissor jacks, bottle jacks, utility lifts, dirt bike lifts, and creepers. It’s a brand under the Shinn Fu Taiwan Corporation that was established in 1994 and has operating centers in America, Netherlands, Taiwan, and Australia. The Pro-Lift B-004D and Pro-Lift F-767 Grey Low Profile Floor Jack are two of its top-rated hydraulic lifts.
Blackhawk is a sub-brand of Stanley Black & Decker, and was founded in 1919 in Wisconsin. It specializes in making automotive tools and hand tools. Its product line includes wrenches, ratchets, mechanic tool sets, and lifting kits. Check out the Blackhawk B6350 Fast Lift Service Jack if you would like to try out one of its decently-priced lift kits.
Low Profile Floor Jack Pricing
- Under $150: Expect to find mostly two-ton (4,000 pounds) and three-ton (6,000 pounds) floor jacks with about 90 percent of the options within this price range. Most are constructed with industrial-grade aluminum since it’s durable and cheaper than steel and titanium
- $150 and up: The high-end options within this price range can have a maximum lifting capacity of 3.5 tons (7,000 pounds)—most are made from heavy-duty steel, which can handle the intense weight. Most also have a higher lifting range of about 2 to 20 inches, which is enough to lift practically any vehicle.
The material determines the final weight and durability of the equipment. If the material is too heavy, it might slow you down, or it may be quite difficult to pick it up and load it in your vehicle after you’re done using it. The heaviest units are made from steel, which is the most durable option. Other options are made from aluminum, which is by far lighter than steel and is almost as strong. Either option may work for you depending on your needs, but ensure that you are comfortable with the weight.
Low profile floor jacks have a smaller entry height than traditional jacks. The latter may only go as low as six to seven inches, and therefore aren’t suitable for low-sitting performance vehicles. Using them means that you risk damaging the sill or side skirt. Measure the clearance from the floor to the jacking point of your vehicle, and get a floor jack that fits that profile. Most low profile jacks have a lower clearance of about two to five inches.
To assist you with your service jobs, the equipment should have the ability to lift the vehicle to a desirable working height. We recommend choosing models that can lift slightly above 20 inches for a comfortable working height. However, be sure to select a model with a plethora of safety features to ensure your safety and the stability of your vehicle as you lift it.
- Mobility: You may find it hard to work with a floor jack if you can't pull it around. This is why you need to prioritize models that are equipped with wheels to help you move it around easily in the garage.
- Weight of the Vehicle: Floor jacks have a maximum capacity that they can lift. To be on the safe side, choose a floor jack with a lifting capacity that exceeds the weight of your vehicle. This gives an allowance for passengers or cargo in your vehicle.
Best Low Profile Floor Jack Reviews & Recommendations 2021
This floor jack from Liftmaster has a simple design that makes it easy for beginners to use on nearly any type of vehicle. It’s designed with a combination of aluminum and heavy-duty steel for added strength without impacting its overall weight. It features a dual-pump hydraulic system that’s designed to significantly reduce lifting time. This means that you can lift your vehicle to the maximum height of 20 inches with a few pumps and minimal effort.
The steel handle isn’t like any other; it has a knurly design that offers a slip-free grip. And the body is covered with foam to cushion the impact on your vehicle as you pump. As for the saddle, it has a strengthened rubber pad for enhanced friction and stability as you lift or lower your vehicle. Besides that, the unit has a low-profile design, which is ideal for a low vehicle with a clearance of only three inches.
Similar to the other floor jacks, this option also has a few drawbacks. First, it may come in poor packaging with no foam to protect the equipment during shipping. Also, you have to re-grease the wheels since the pre-installed grease freezes easily and may cause the wheels to jam.
We are impressed with the practical design of the JEGS 80077, which makes it suitable for most garages or workshops. The unit features durable, lightweight aluminum construction that’s resistant to rust and corrosion and cleans fairly easily. It also has a sealed hydraulic system to protect the hydraulic fluid from contaminants that typically cause hydraulic units to jam. In addition, it features a 360-degree rotating saddle that has a lifting capacity of 6,000 pounds.
The saddle is designed with an embossed, rubber lift pad that can get under vehicles with a clearance of only 3.5 inches and can lift it to a maximum height of 19 ¼ inches. Moving the unit is easy since it has sturdy front and rear wheels that roll smoothly, and the handle has a knurled grip to reduce slippage.
One of the few drawbacks with this model is that the rubber pad can break off the saddle with frequent use. It’s also not as durable as steel floor jacks. Additionally, it’s more expensive than most floor jacks.
The BlackHawk B6250 is a hydraulic jack featuring heavy-duty steel construction that’s powder coated for maximum durability. It features fast lift technology, which increases oil pressure to help bring your vehicle as low as 5.5 inches and lift it to a maximum height of 22 inches in a matter of minutes.
Since it has a maximum lifting capacity of 7,000 pounds, you can use it to safely lift SUVs or trucks. It also has a couple of safety features that ensure its long lifespan, including a built-in internal safety valve to protect from overload and a bypass device to prevent damage from over pumping.
However, this model is rather heavy since it’s made from heavy-duty steel. Rolling it around may not be an issue, but you will feel the impact of its weight if you need to carry it. It’s also not designed to support the vehicle. Consider purchasing jack stands for extra support.
The W1627 has a dual-pump hydraulic system that can lift a maximum of 7,000 pounds with just a few pumps. The unit is built to last and has a durable steel frame with a rubber saddle pad to prevent damage to your vehicle. The minimum saddle height is four inches, and it can lift vehicles to a maximum of 20.5 inches.
The unit is fitted with large wheels that easily roll over different surfaces. It has a bypass valve for safety and overload protection. It's recommended for busy mechanical shops and race tracks since it lifts vehicles easily and quickly.
Unfortunately, much like other floor jacks, this too has a few drawbacks. First, it’s one of the most expensive options available. Second, it packs quite a bit of weight since it’s made of steel.
- When you receive your floor jack, check for any oil stains in the box, which could be an indication that the hydraulic fluid leaked while it was being transported. If there is, replace the hydraulic fluid and fill it to the correct level.
- We recommend that you regularly check your floor jack for cracks or leaks that could be a sign that you need to buy a new floor jack for your safety. Also, a worn-out saddle is an indication that you may not be able to get a safe jacking point.
- To guarantee your safety, use the floor jack on level ground. Ensure that the wheels are chocked with bricks or rubber chocks before rolling the jack under your vehicle. Also, be sure to apply your parking brake.
- Do not use the jacking point under your vehicle if some of the rubber has broken away. Instead, hook the floor jack to the chassis or any other solid part of the undercarriage.
- After using the jack, retract the pump and piston to reduce the stress on the components and to prevent leaks.
Q: What capacity floor jack do I need?
A: Consider the weight of your vehicle, and use a floor jack with a higher capacity of about 1,000 pounds. This will help to cater to any weight changes that may be caused by cargo or modifications made to your vehicle such as acquiring a new set of wheels.
Q: Can you lift heavier than the mentioned lift capacity?
A: It’s not advisable to do so because the floor jack can give in under the intense weight. This can be fatal if someone is working under the car. This is why it’s important to always know the weight of your vehicle so that you can buy the appropriate floor jack.
Q: Are jack stands necessary while working on a car, or is a floor jack enough?
A: Even the best low profile floor jacks aren’t designed to hold your vehicle long enough for you to get a decent amount of work done. Just like any other hydraulic system, it can give in under pressure, especially if the hydraulic oil is low. It’s wise to stabilize your vehicle with appropriate jack stands after lifting it.
Q: Is a cheaper floor jack as good as an expensive one?
A: Typically with floor jacks as with most automotive equipment, the more expensive ones are usually the best ones. If a unit is expensive, it means that a lot of resources went into improving the build quality for durability and outstanding performance. However, it’s not impossible to find an overpriced product from a big brand name, which falls short with many of its features.
Our top pick is the Arcan ALJ3T 3-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack. It’s easy to move it around your workshop since it’s made from lightweight aluminum. Not only is it good for lifting sports cars, but it can also be used to lift a taller vehicle such as an SUV since it can lift up to a maximum height of 18 inches.
If you are looking for a more affordable option, consider the Pro-Lift F-767 Grey Low Profile Floor Jack.
MORE TO READ
Best Tesla Model 3 Floor Mats (Review & Buying Guide) in 2022
Slick-looking and effective floor protection for your Tesla Model 3.
Best Garage Floor Mats: Protect and Upgrade Your Garage
Avoid staining the floor with these top options.
Best All-Weather Car Mats: Keep That Interior Showroom Fresh
Our top choices cover the entire area and protect against wear. They also protect the footwells from grime and debris.
The Best Floor Jacks for Lifting Your Car
Great options for lifting your car safely