Best Auto Mechanic Books: Learn More About the Industry
Use any of these auto mechanic books to get a comprehensive guide on automotive systems
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you are a self-taught mechanic or are looking to advance your trade with a little more knowledge, then you will do well with a well-researched and accurate auto mechanic book. It can help you gain vast knowledge on how to fix, service, and upgrade your vehicle. The best part is that you get all the important tech information without joining a trade school that may cost a fortune. If you are looking for one of the best books to teach yourself how to handle your vehicle, consider one of the options in our buying guide below.
- Clear and concise language.
- Uses simple diagram illustrations.
- Helps you understand the inner workings of your vehicle.
- Includes tests after each chapter to help with memory.
- Perfect for beginners who want to improve your auto mechanic vocabulary.
- May seem too basic for professional mechanics.
- The book lacks in-depth information.
- Poor graphics.
- Learn how to perform routine maintenance and basic repairs on your vehicle.
- You’ll also learn how to deal with roadside emergencies, troubleshoot issues, and extend the life of your car.
- This book will help you make easy sense of certain automotive systems that can seem confusing or daunting in their functions.
- Book includes an under-the-hood checklist
- It doesn’t offer much useful information on electrical systems or heating and cooling.
- It’s very basic compared to some other texts on the market.
- An easy-to-understand automotive service guide for beginners.
- A very informative and certified publication for students.
- Great point of reference for professional mechanics.
- Broken down into short sections for easy-to-read coverage.
- One of the most expensive auto mechanic manuals.
- It contains a lot of fluff information where the point could be clear and concise.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Best Auto Mechanic Books Reviews & Recommendations
- Don’t be afraid to highlight, circle, underline, and write a few points in the manual. It will help you understand the book better and also help you learn to pick out the important bits of information.
- Do a little research about the book before you buy it. See what the book is about and learn the contents, size, and a little about the author. The best way to get all that information is to read as many user reviews as you can find.
- Buy a book that matches your experience; otherwise, you will feel like the book was a total waste of your time. If you are a professional, price shouldn’t be a motivating factor since the cheaper ones are mostly beginner manuals.
Q: Should beginners use advanced auto mechanic books?
A: If you are a beginner and choose an advanced level book, you may toss the book aside after a few chapters because it will be difficult to understand. Instead, buy something recommended for beginners with simpler language, better illustrations, and step-by-step guides into the basics.
Q: How do I pick the best auto mechanic book for my work?
A: First, you need to have clearly defined goals in terms of what kind of knowledge or skill you’d like to acquire. Most auto books are about repairs, maintenance, or troubleshooting the problem areas of an automobile. Go with the one that best suits your interests, and pick a few more surrounding the topic for some diversity.
Q: Do I still need formal training after buying auto mechanic books?
A: It depends on your level of interest and how far you would like to take your new-found skills. If you want to consider a career in mechanic work or want to expand your knowledge, you should consider enrolling in an online or local program for auto service technicians.
Our top pick is the Tom Newton-How Cars Work. It will help you understand your vehicle inside and out, and you will know what to do when a part fails. It’s also a great book for students and beginners.
If you are looking for a more pocket-friendly book, consider Auto Repair For Dummies. It’s an inexpensive and relevant resource that makes understanding the basics of auto mechanic issues easy and straightforward.