The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you own a car, decals are a great way to customize its exterior and add a personal touch without spending a fortune. Fortunately, decals can add a really cool touch to your car if you opt for high-quality products. These adhesive stickers are quick and easy to apply and can be removed at any time.
So, how do you know which decals are best for your vehicle without damaging it? We’ve searched for the top three selections that are entertaining, safe to use, and won’t get you into any trouble.
Boston Terrier Vinyl Dog Decal Sticker
This high-quality vinyl dog decal is rated for six years and does not peel or crack. It is an all-weather decal that will retain its look through all weather conditions and even after washing. You can easily stick it to your car’s window and on lacquered hardwood, aluminum, and metal.
- It is made in the USA and comes in a variety of sizes
- It is meant for external use and comes with application instructions
- It is easy to apply and peel off and won't leave any residue
- It is not usable after removal because of its adhesive
- After a few months of use, it may become loose
Sign Depot Vinyl Die Cut Decal/Bumper Sticker
This vinyl die-cut decal is of better quality than a bumper sticker and is designed to last six years. Put it on the outside of your vehicle or on any smooth surface. It comes with application instructions to make your job easy.
- The application process is easy, as you apply it like a temporary tattoo
- The manufacturer uses clear transfer tape, which makes for easy application
- You can also stick it on your laptop.
- Over time, it will fade and discolor, so you will need to replace it
- It may not last six years as the manufacturer says
Motorsport Cars Decals Stickers
Motorsport Cars created this set of 12 decal stickers with a variety of designs, colors, and sizes. The large diversity of decals enables all customers to find a selection of stickers that best suits their vehicle and tastes.
- The decals are pre-cut, so you just have to peel them off and apply them to your car
- They’re waterproof and weatherproof
- The decals can tear easily if you aren’t careful when removing them from the original packaging
- Not all of the shades accurately resemble the licensed originals.
Benefits of Decals
- Affordable. Car decals are usually affordable and give you the opportunity to decorate your car cheaply. Most people can afford them, as they sell for less than $20.
- Removable. Car stickers are easy to remove and do not leave glue residue on car windows. When you want to sell your car, you will not waste a lot of time removing the decals.
- Reusable. Some car decals can be used multiple times. When they get dirty, you can wash the adhesive side with water and they will look new again. This helps you to save money you would have spent buying other decals.
- Temporary advertising. Car decals are very useful when you want to advertise something temporarily. You can use them to promote specific products or services. Many companies and tradesmen use them to advertise their businesses.
Types of Decals
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Static Cling Vinyl Decals
These decals have a static charge which makes it easy for you to stick them on smooth, non-porous surfaces like plastic or glass. Each decal uses a natural static cling instead of an adhesive and can be repositioned or removed without leaving any residue on the surface. Static cling vinyl decals are available in clear or white and can also be printed on the back.
Polypropylene decals can either be clear or white. These decals are more durable than most decals as they are waterproof and tearproof. Polypropylene is resistant to discoloration and fading that is very common with standard paper decals. There are die-cut polypropylene decals and kiss-cut polypropylene decals. Die-cut decals are cut into unique custom shapes to fit logos or pieces of artwork. Kiss-cut decals have borders and some can be peeled off the backing material.
Polyester is a tougher material than vinyl as it is tear-resistant and has the ability to withstand exposure to solvents, oils, and different chemicals. Decals that are made using polyester are ideal for cars that are frequently subjected to harsh outdoor conditions. Polyester decals and stickers work well in different environments, including industrial settings.
3M is very popular for its car accessories. The company was founded in 1902 and has come a long way since then. It is now a Fortune 500 company and operates in 70 countries. It manufactures more than 60,000 products which are used in a variety of industries as well as homes and schools. We love these 3M Reflective Sticker Car Decals.
Chroma Graphics has been producing aftermarket automotive accessories since 1972. The company is based in Maryville, Tennessee, and specializes in automotive decals, auto ornaments, control graphics, car body graphics, and other products. It develops new and exciting products each year, like the Chroma Graphics Flames Stick Onz Decal.
The Sign Depot
The Sign Depot believes that the right decal can give a car a whole new look. The company has been in operation for more than 15 years and is located in Rio Grande Valley. It is always inventing new signs and decals to fit different preferences. If you've been looking for a funny decal for your car, check out this hilarious vinyl die-cut decal.
Car Decals Pricing
- Under $5: These are simple car decals that are made from vinyl. They are usually small in size and are not made to last.
- $5-$10: Most decals in this category are die-cut and are designed to last for years. They can be applied to a variety of smooth surfaces.
- $10-$30: The outstanding feature of these car decals is they are made of high-quality materials like polyester and static cling vinyl. Some are larger in size, while others feature 3D technology.
Car decals are usually printed in one of two ways: screen printed or digitally printed. Screen-printed decals can last up to five years and are specially designed to withstand outdoor elements. However, these decals are usually more expensive than digitally printed decals. But the good news is they can be made using chrome vinyl, clear vinyl, white vinyl, and static vinyl. Digitally-printed decals last up to two years and also perform well outdoors. However, they can only be made using white vinyl or static vinyl. But the good news is they have a lower price point. Offset printing is another printing method but it is rarely used to make decals as they would be very expensive.
There are four types of adhesives used on decals: permanent, removable, ultra-removable, and static cling. Permanent adhesive leaves a residue when it is removed while removable adhesive can be removed with a little effort but does not leave any residue. Ultra-removable adhesive is mostly used on bumper stickers and decals, as it is the easiest to remove. Static cling adhesive is only ideal for indoor applications.
Decals are usually made from different materials such as vinyl, polyethylene, polycarbonate, polyester, and other plastics. The materials can be customized, depending on the specific application of the decals. The ideal material for making car decals is known as Oracal 651 or outdoor vinyl. It has the ability to withstand different weather elements.
- Size and Shape. Car decals come in different shapes and sizes, so it is important to check if the decal you want to buy will fit the area you want to put it. For example, if it runs the length of the fender, it will be too big for the side mirrors. Before you buy it, look at its dimensions to make sure it will fit where you want to put it. Also, examine its shape to make sure it fits your needs.
- Weather Elements. Since you will put the decal on your car's exterior, you must ensure it is able to withstand harsh weather elements. This includes heat from the sun, rain, strong winds, and even snow. Get a decal that will stay intact, no matter how much it’s bombarded by the elements.
Best Decals Reviews & Recommendations 2021
If you want to pimp your car and make it stand out from the crowd, get this decal. It has all the features that define a good bumper sticker: sturdiness, good resolution, and resistance to outdoor elements like rain and heat. It does not peel or crack and is guaranteed to last for six years. It is the perfect size for a car's back window.
If you happen to own a dog, especially a Boston terrier, this decal gives you the opportunity to show your love for your pet. Don't be surprised if other Boston Terrier owners stop their cars to ask you where you got the decal. Even after taking your car through the car wash, this decal will still look brand new. The decal comes in a variety of sizes and the manufacturer provides application instructions to make your job easy.
However, if you happen to remove it, you won't be able to apply it again. It may also become lose several months down the line.
If you want a set of car stickers you can share with your friends, get the Drag Racing Lot Vinyl Decals Stickers. You'll get value for your money as one set contains 12 sheets of stickers. One of the best perks of these decals is ease of use. Since they are pre-cut, you simply peel them and stick them on whatever spot you want.
The large selection of stickers ensures you find a set that perfectly suits your vehicle and tastes. They are also waterproof and weatherproof and resist harsh conditions effectively. You don't have to limit their usage to your car—you can also put them on your motorcycle.
The car decals come in different shapes and sizes and you can use them as advertisement stickers. However, we're not too happy with their quality as they tend to tear easily if not removed carefully from the packaging. In addition, some of the shades used in the decals don't resemble those in the licensed originals.
If you're a fan of Stars Wars and The Mandalorian in particular, you'll love the Peeking Baby Yoda Window Cling by Saturdays Co. We like this option because it's a window cling and not a permanent sticker, so you can reuse it and reattach it over and over again. It holds firmly to glass surfaces without the use of adhesive.
This Baby Yoda (a.k.a Grogu) decal is made of durable vinyl and is printed in premium ink. It measures 7 by 2.26 inches and is made in America. Users report that it's well-made, easy to remove and reposition, and does not sustain any bubbles during application. It also stays in place if you put it on a window that you open and close frequently.
However, there have been some complaints that the decal isn't large enough. Also, you may have to place the decal inside the vehicle to avoid it getting damaged from the elements.
If you want to make a statement on your car or truck, the Xotic Tech Vinyl Headlight Taillight Claw Scar Scratch Decal is a good way to go. Available in several colors, such as red and green, this monster claw vinyl decal is made of high-quality vinyl. It's durable and designed to last in all types of weather conditions. Each sticker measures approximately 12 inches.
You can place these claw marks around the headlights, taillights, or on other parts of your vehicle's body. These decals come with adhesive on the back; simply peel and stick them in place. They’re a good option if you want a more aggressive-looking car or truck. Overall, they're easy to apply, are designed not to fade or crack, and make your vehicle stand out in a crowd.
However, you need to keep the area dry for 24 hours after you adhere the sticker to your vehicle’s surface. Also, it appears that only one sticker comes in the package.
- Die-cut stickers are the fastest and easiest type to apply to your car. They’re thick and durable and work the best when faced with water, sunlight, and scratches.
- Carefully choose a location on your car for the sticker. It should be easy for others to make out the text or image but more importantly, be in a position that doesn’t distract other drivers or impede your vision while driving.
- Avoid keeping a decal on your car for months. Instead, regularly remove and replace the decal to prevent the car paint underneath from fading.
Q: How should I prepare my car before applying a decal?
A: Thoroughly clean the area with soap and water to remove any debris and dirt. If you apply the sticker to a rough surface with debris present, the sticker will apply rough and bumpy.
Q: How can I safely remove a decal?
A: Use soapy water and a cleaning cloth and wipe the surface surrounding and on the sticker. Warm the sticker with a hair dryer, and gently scrape underneath the decal to remove it without damaging your paintwork.
Q: What considerations should you make during a purchase?
A: The decal should be waterproof and sun-resistant to prevent it from getting ruined when exposed to the elements. We also recommend carefully choosing decals that won’t offend anyone or cause embarrassment, particularly if you have young children.
We’ve chosen the Boston Terrier Vinyl Dog Decal Sticker as the best decal based on its high-quality materials. It is easy to apply and suitable for everyone.
Alternatively, if you want a budget-friendly decal that’s easy to apply, the Sign Depot Vinyl Die Cut Decal/Bumper Sticker will do.
MORE TO READ
Best Bumper Stickers: Personalize Your Vehicle
These top bumper stickers are a great means of self-expression
Best Truck Equipment: Upgrade Your Accessories
Give your truck an upgrade—and enhance your comfort—with these top truck accessories
Best Car Accessories: Add Your Own Personal Style
Upgrade your car’s look and make it your own with these car accessories
Best Jeep Wrangler Accessories: Add Your Own Style
Upgrade the look of your Jeep Wrangler with these top accessories