LAST UPDATED: January 5, 2020
Best LVLP Spray Guns: Get an Even and Well-Sprayed Surface
Meet all your painting needs with these top LVLP spray guns
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON January 5, 2020
The right spray gun can save you time and money and also serve you for many years. Before you start looking for a great LVLP sprayer, there are a few things you need to consider. These include the material, durability, and how easy the spray gun is to clean and maintain. We have reviewed some of the best LVLP spray guns on the market to help you make an informed purchasing decision.
This is one of the best kits on the market, and it can be used for automotive painting, carpentry painting, and many other projects. It features two spray guns that require 2.1 SCFM and 0.7 SCFM at 40 PSI for fast and efficient usage. The kit is designed to reduce waste for maximum efficiency.
It is optimized for even size paint particles to deliver an even spray. Also, it is lightweight for easy and tireless handling. The kit comes with three cleaning brushes for easy cleaning after use.
This machine does not work well with latex wall paints. Some users have reported that this machine tends to clog, especially when using thicker paint.
This unit flakes off, so you need to be careful when cleaning it. Also, this machine is not suitable for complete re-sprays.
It is a stainless steel construction, making it sturdy and durable. Also, its parts are easily detachable, making it super easy to clean. What’s more, its design prevents paint spillage, thus saving you money.
It is compatible with a 3HP air compressor only. The trigger tends to get hard to press when using thick paint.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of LVLP Spray Guns
- Makes spraying easy. It is very hard to paint crooked surfaces with a brush or a roller. For example, when painting furniture, you are bound to miss a lot of corners and crannies, which are hard to paint using a brush. However, with an LVLP spray gun, spraying these surfaces becomes easy.
- Uniform finish. It is much easier to get a uniform finish when using an LVLP spray gun than it is when using a brush, especially if the surface is hard and dry. This is because the brush leaves either some unpainted spots or some parts with excess paint. The LVLP spray gun helps you achieve a uniform coat on any surface.
- Minimizes waste. Paint is costly and you want to minimize waste as much as possible. When painting with a brush or a roller, paint is bound to drip, especially when applying on uneven surfaces. An LVLP spray gun can prevent this.
- Complete large projects. It would be very tiresome, time-consuming, and even impossible to handle large painting projects using a roller or a brush. This is when you need an LVLP spray gun to make painting faster, less tiresome, and easy.
Types of LVLP Spray Guns
These are the types of LVLP spray guns that are designed with the paint cup on top. They allow smaller batches of paint to be used at a time, hence minimizing waste. Most people prefer these types of spray guns due to their efficiency, less overspray, and quality finish. Additionally, these spray guns are versatile and can be used on automotive, marine, woodwork, and industrial materials.
Conventional Feed or Siphon Feed
These are the oldest types of LVLP guns. They are designed with the paint cup at the bottom of the entire device. Unlike their gravity-fed counterparts, these siphon feed spray guns do not use gravity to get the spray in the nozzle. Instead, they use a complex siphoning mechanism to feed the nozzle with paint. These spray guns have been around for quite a long time and some people prefer them due to their reliability.
SPRAYIT is an internationally recognized company that has been known to make quality spray guns since 1928. The company uses state-of-the-art materials and corrosion-resistant metals such as steel and aluminum to make reliable, lightweight, and affordable yet durable spray guns. Some of its best-known products include the SPRAYIT SP-33000K LVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun Kit and the SPRAYIT SP-352 Gravity Feed Spray Gun.
Astro Pneumatic Tool
This is an international automotive aftermarket product company based in Los Angeles, California. It is owned by the Fisher family and has more than 40 years of experience in sourcing, innovating, manufacturing, and distributing affordable and reliable products. The company has branches all over the U.S. to help it distribute quality products such as the Astro Pneumatic Spray Gun with Cup-1.8mm Nozzle and the Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 Spray Gun with Cup.
This is an American international company that manufactures consumer, commercial, and industrial air compressors and related products. The company started in 1839 and it has headquarters in Harrison, Ohio. It prides itself in the experience to manufacture reliable, low-priced, and easy-to-use air compressor equipment for both professionals and homeowners. Some of its best-selling products include the Campbell Hausfeld Paint Spray Gun Kit, Gravity Feed and the General Purpose Paint Spray Gun.
LVLP Spray Gun Pricing
- Below $40: Most LVLP spray guns for home use are in this category. They have ergonomic handles, are easy to use, and are easy to clean. However, they are not very durable and can't handle large projects. Also, most of them are not versatile.
- Above $40: In this price category, you expect high-end and specialized spray guns for big painting projects. Most of the spray guns have an extremely ergonomic handle to reduce fatigue during long hours of painting. They are also very durable and easy to clean thanks to their aluminum and steel construction. Additionally, such spray guns are very versatile and can be used for various painting projects such as furniture, automotive, marine, and other large industrial paint jobs.
Painting projects are very tiresome and you do not want to add excessive weight lifting to an already tiresome undertaking. Therefore, weight is a very important factor to consider when buying an LVLP spray gun. Try to choose a spray gun that is lightweight to prevent getting easily tired easily when working on large painting projects. Always avoid going for heavy equipment just because they look good or have some features that you admire.
Construction determines three aspects of a paint sprayer. First, it determines the durability of the device. Construction also determines how heavy and washable the equipment is. Always ensure you go for a spray gun that is made of lightweight aluminum since it is portable and resistant to corrosion. This makes it long-lasting and easy to clean. The ideal spray gun will have an aluminum body, aluminum cup, and stainless steel fluid needle. Avoid LVLP guns with plastic cups since they can easily break.
The working pressure at the nozzle (measured in PSI) determines the amount of spray that can be used, the smoothness, and the quality of the finish. The high pressure causes overspray and also distributes existing dirt and debris particles to already-painted surfaces, causing an imperfect finish. Unlike HVLP spray guns, LVLP guns use low pressure. However, to get the best LVLP gun, consider pressures of between 50 and 60 PSI.
- Ease of Use. While most of these paint sprayers are beginner-user-friendly, some of them have complicated joinery and adjustment knobs that are hard to use. It’s important to go for a spray gun that has a soft trigger and is easy to assemble and use to avoid calling a professional every time you need to spray your surfaces.
- Maintenance Required. Some spray guns are tough to maintain and end up being costly in the long run. For example, a hard-to-clean spray gun may need you to seek costly professional cleaning after extended use. With that said, it is advisable to buy a device that is easy to clean and maintain. Easy-to-clean spray guns make it easy to switch between paints according to the requirements of your project.
- Accessories. Depending on the brand of the spray gun, there may be some accessories included. These accessories make the use, cleaning, carrying, and storing of the spray gun safe and easy. Some of the accessories include a carrying case, wrench, adjusting valves, and cleaning brushes.
Best LVLP Spray Gun Reviews & Recommendations 2020
If you are looking for a high-end, reliable, and versatile spray kit, consider this Campbell Hausfeld LVLP spray gun kit. This device is designed to provide optimal atomization and even paint particles for an enhanced smooth finish. It comes with two spraying guns that require 2.1 CFM and 0.7 CFM at 40 PSI for fast and efficient usage. Its design ensures minimal waste while still providing precise results.
The advantage of using this spray kit is that it has a variety of uses, such as for automotive painting, carpentry painting, and many other projects. It is made of a lightweight aluminum gun body and it is ergonomic for tireless handling. Additionally, the kits come with a cleaning kit for easy after-use cleaning. What’s more, it comes with a carrying case for easy storage and portability.
However, the spray gun kit has its share of shortcomings. First, it cannot be used with latex wall paints. It is prone to clogging when used with thicker paint. Therefore, you may need to avoid thick paint if you go for this kit.
This low-pressure spray gun is suitable for those with a tight budget due to its considerably low cost. It features working pressure of 44-58 PSI and can attain maximum pressure of 60 PSI for enhanced efficiency and a super smooth surface. This spray gun can be used to paint various wood, marine, and automotive projects thanks to its versatility and reliability. Additionally, it comes with a rotatable aluminum swivel cup to spray hard to reach surfaces with a lot of ease.
Mostly people prefer this spray gun due to its lightweight design and an ergonomic handle that makes spraying of large projects less tiresome. Also, its paint cup is made of aluminum for an extended lifespan and easy washability, while its stainless steel needle ensures no rusting or corrosion. What’s more, its adjustable spray pattern and air controls ensure precise application to minimize waste.
The only potential problem with the paint gun is that the unit flakes off and therefore you have to be careful when cleaning it. Additionally, its handle is made of plastic, which might not be durable in the long run.
If you are looking for an old-school all-purpose siphoning feed spray gun that will suit all your projects, the Astro Pneumatic tool spray gun might interest you. It features a fully adjustable fluid fan pattern control design for personalized use on any surface while still reducing paint wastage. It uses a 1.8mm tip size and 50-60 PSI operating pressure that ensures fast application during heavy coatings. The paint gun can be used on cars, woodwork, and marine painting projects.
If you purchase this spray gun, you are assured of extended use, thanks to its sturdy and corrosion-resistant stainless steel construction. Its design reduces the risk of paint spillage, saving you money while still ensuring your projects are clean. Additionally, its parts are fully detachable to ensure seamless and fast cleaning.
Despite the paint gun being of high quality, it is only compatible with a 3HP air compressor, meaning it cannot work with other smaller air compressors. Also, the handle is made of brittle plastic, while its trigger may be difficult to press when using thick paint.
- LVLP spray guns can be very hard to maintain, depending on the brand, so look for a model that is easy to use and maintain. Sprayers should be cleaned regularly, and failure to do so will reduce their lifespan.
- Heavy-duty spray guns are very tedious; therefore, you need to choose something that is lightweight and easy to work with. Avoid heavy machines to ensure extended hours of painting without getting tired.
- The most recommended spray guns are those made of aluminum because they are lightweight, sturdy, and corrosion-resistant. Also, these types of sprayers do not need a lot of maintenance.
Q: How long does an LVLP spray gun last?
A: If you want a durable spray gun, buy one built with high-quality and corrosion-resistant materials. A great sprayer can last up to 10 years if properly maintained.
Q: What is the main disadvantage of an LVLP spray gun?
A: The main shortcoming is dripping, which can cause a mess. If the drip is small, you might not realize it until later. The most common dripping area is the nozzle. Luckily, there are drip-proof spray guns that have systems to get rid of extra paint.
Q: How do I take care of my LVLP spray gun?
A: First, avoid jerking the trigger, as this may cause trigger jams. Also, avoid screwing the connectors to maximum tightness because it may stress the connectors and other parts of the sprayer. Finally, ensure you clean your gun after use.
Our top pick for the best LVLP spray guns is the Campbell Hausfeld Paint Spray Gun Kit, Gravity Feed. It is durable, lightweight, and has a variety of applications.
If you want a budget-friendly option that is still efficient and long-lasting, then consider the SPRAYIT SP-352 Gravity Feed Spray Gun.