Best LVLP Spray Guns: Get an Even and Well-Sprayed Surface
Meet all your painting needs with these top LVLP spray guns
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
The right spray gun can save you time and money and also serve you for many years. Before you start looking for a great LVLP (low volume low pressure) sprayer, there are a few things you need to consider. These include the material, durability, and how easy the spray gun is to clean and maintain. We have reviewed some of the best LVLP spray guns available to help you make an informed purchasing decision.
This spray gun offers top-quality performance, reliability, ease-of-use, and a decent price point. It allows you to get a professional-grade finish with either oil-based or latex paints. It’s ideally suited to medium to large size painting jobs.
- Features a straightforward and easy to use design that’s tough to mess up
- Suitable for a variety of jobs, including home, automotive, and even furniture applications
- Features separate and adjustable fluid amounts and fan patterns to give you a customizable and precise spray with less waste
- This unit does not come with extra paint nozzles
- Can be tricky to learn how to paint vertical surfaces without running at first
This spray gun features working pressure of 44-58 PSI, low air consumption of 4.2 to 6.0 CFM @ 30 PSI, and can attain maximum pressure of 60 PSI for super-efficient spraying. Its swivel cup ensures the gun can be rotated to spray the hard-to-reach places. Also, it offers a great air control system to control your paint.
- Most parts of this gun are made of aluminum to ensure it’s lightweight and durable
- It also features an ergonomic handle for extended comfortable use.
- Additionally, it ensures precise painting, thus minimizing waste
- This unit flakes off, so you need to be careful when cleaning it
- Also, this machine is not suitable for complete re-sprays
This model has a fully adjustable fan pattern control design for customized use on any surface. It features a 1.8mm nozzle and 50-60psi operating pressure for fast application during heavy coatings. Additionally, it has a wide range of applications, including car body and woodworking jobs.
- It is a stainless steel construction, making it sturdy and durable
- Also, its parts are easily detachable, making it super easy to clean
- What’s more, its design prevents paint spillage, thus saving you money
- It is compatible with a 3HP air compressor only
- The trigger tends to get hard to press when using thick paint
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of LVLP Spray Guns
- Makes spraying easy. It is very hard to paint crooked surfaces with a brush or a roller. For example, when painting furniture, you are bound to miss a lot of corners and crannies, which are hard to paint using a brush. However, with an LVLP spray gun, spraying these surfaces becomes easy.
- Uniform finish. It is much easier to get a uniform finish when using an LVLP spray gun than it is when using a brush, especially if the surface is hard and dry. This is because the brush leaves either some unpainted spots or some parts with excess paint. The LVLP spray gun helps you achieve a uniform coat on any surface.
- Minimizes waste. Paint is costly and you want to minimize waste as much as possible. When painting with a brush or a roller, paint is bound to drip, especially when applying on uneven surfaces. An LVLP spray gun can prevent this.
- Complete large projects. It would be very tiresome, time-consuming, and even impossible to handle large painting projects using a roller or a brush. This is when you need an LVLP spray gun to make painting faster, less tiresome, and easy.
Types of LVLP Spray Guns
These are the types of LVLP spray guns that are designed with the paint cup on top. They allow smaller batches of paint to be used at a time, hence minimizing waste. Most people prefer these types of spray guns due to their efficiency, less overspray, and quality finish. Additionally, these spray guns are versatile and can be used on automotive, marine, woodwork, and industrial materials.
Conventional Feed or Siphon Feed
These are the oldest types of LVLP guns. They are designed with the paint cup at the bottom of the entire device. Unlike their gravity-fed counterparts, these siphon feed spray guns do not use gravity to get the spray in the nozzle. Instead, they use a complex siphoning mechanism to feed the nozzle with paint. These spray guns have been around for quite a long time and some people prefer them due to their reliability.
SPRAYIT is an internationally recognized company that has been known to make quality spray guns since 1928. The company uses state-of-the-art materials and corrosion-resistant metals such as steel and aluminum to make reliable, lightweight, and affordable yet durable spray guns. Some of its best-known products include the SPRAYIT SP-33000K LVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun Kit and the SPRAYIT SP-352 Gravity Feed Spray Gun.
Astro Pneumatic Tool
This is an international automotive aftermarket product company based in Los Angeles, California. It is owned by the Fisher family and has more than 40 years of experience in sourcing, innovating, manufacturing, and distributing affordable and reliable products. The company has branches all over the U.S. to help it distribute quality products such as the Astro Pneumatic Spray Gun with Cup-1.8mm Nozzle and the Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 Spray Gun with Cup.
This is an American international company that manufactures consumer, commercial, and industrial air compressors and related products. The company started in 1839 and it has headquarters in Harrison, Ohio. It prides itself in the experience to manufacture reliable, low-priced, and easy-to-use air compressor equipment for both professionals and homeowners. Some of its best-selling products include the Campbell Hausfeld Paint Spray Gun Kit, Gravity Feed and the General Purpose Paint Spray Gun.
LVLP Spray Gun Pricing
- Below $40: Most LVLP spray guns for home use are in this category. They have ergonomic handles, are easy to use, and are easy to clean. However, they are not very durable and can't handle large projects. Also, most of them are not versatile.
- Above $40: In this price category, you expect high-end and specialized spray guns for big painting projects. Most of the spray guns have an extremely ergonomic handle to reduce fatigue during long hours of painting. They are also very durable and easy to clean thanks to their aluminum and steel construction. Additionally, such spray guns are very versatile and can be used for various painting projects such as furniture, automotive, marine, and other large industrial paint jobs.
Painting projects are very tiresome and you do not want to add excessive weight lifting to an already tiresome undertaking. Therefore, weight is a very important factor to consider when buying an LVLP spray gun. Try to choose a spray gun that is lightweight to prevent getting easily tired easily when working on large painting projects. Always avoid going for heavy equipment just because they look good or have some features that you admire.
Construction determines three aspects of a paint sprayer. First, it determines the durability of the device. Construction also determines how heavy and washable the equipment is. Always ensure you go for a spray gun that is made of lightweight aluminum since it is portable and resistant to corrosion. This makes it long-lasting and easy to clean. The ideal spray gun will have an aluminum body, aluminum cup, and stainless steel fluid needle. Avoid LVLP guns with plastic cups since they can easily break.
The working pressure at the nozzle (measured in PSI) determines the amount of spray that can be used, the smoothness, and the quality of the finish. The high pressure causes overspray and also distributes existing dirt and debris particles to already-painted surfaces, causing an imperfect finish. Unlike HVLP spray guns, LVLP guns use low pressure. However, to get the best LVLP gun, consider pressures of between 50 and 60 PSI.
- Ease of Use. While most of these paint sprayers are beginner-user-friendly, some of them have complicated joinery and adjustment knobs that are hard to use. It’s important to go for a spray gun that has a soft trigger and is easy to assemble and use to avoid calling a professional every time you need to spray your surfaces.
- Maintenance Required. Some spray guns are tough to maintain and end up being costly in the long run. For example, a hard-to-clean spray gun may need you to seek costly professional cleaning after extended use. With that said, it is advisable to buy a device that is easy to clean and maintain. Easy-to-clean spray guns make it easy to switch between paints according to the requirements of your project.
- Accessories. Depending on the brand of the spray gun, there may be some accessories included. These accessories make the use, cleaning, carrying, and storing of the spray gun safe and easy. Some of the accessories include a carrying case, wrench, adjusting valves, and cleaning brushes.
Best LVLP Spray Gun Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- LVLP spray guns can be very hard to maintain, depending on the brand, so look for a model that is easy to use and maintain. Sprayers should be cleaned regularly, and failure to do so will reduce their lifespan.
- Heavy-duty spray guns are very tedious; therefore, you need to choose something that is lightweight and easy to work with. Avoid heavy machines to ensure extended hours of painting without getting tired.
- The most recommended spray guns are those made of aluminum because they are lightweight, sturdy, and corrosion-resistant. Also, these types of sprayers do not need a lot of maintenance.
Q: How long does an LVLP spray gun last?
A: If you want a durable spray gun, buy one built with high-quality and corrosion-resistant materials. A great sprayer can last up to 10 years if properly maintained.
Q: What is the main disadvantage of an LVLP spray gun?
A: The main shortcoming is dripping, which can cause a mess. If the drip is small, you might not realize it until later. The most common dripping area is the nozzle. Luckily, there are drip-proof spray guns that have systems to get rid of extra paint.
Q: How do I take care of my LVLP spray gun?
A: First, avoid jerking the trigger, as this may cause trigger jams. Also, avoid screwing the connectors to maximum tightness because it may stress the connectors and other parts of the sprayer. Finally, ensure you clean your gun after use.
Our top pick for the best LVLP spray guns is the Dynastus 33 oz. Siphon Feed Spray Gun. It is durable, lightweight, and has a variety of applications.
If you want a budget-friendly option that is still efficient and long-lasting, then consider the SPRAYIT SP-352 Gravity Feed Spray Gun.