Best Cordless Electric Chainsaws: Cut Wood Quickly and Efficiently
Cut wood quickly and easily with these high-quality cordless electric chainsaws
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
The ease of cutting wood has evolved a great deal over the years. Nowadays, you can cut down firewood to stock for the winter quickly and tirelessly, thanks to the electric chainsaw. This powerful tool eliminates the tedious use of axes and machetes in felling trees. Therefore, whether you are a professional logger, or you are just trimming some branches in your yard, you need this resourceful machine. In this guide, we have reviewed the best three electric chainsaws on the market.
This unit features a tool-free blade tension system for quick and easy adjustments. It ensures low vibrations for smooth, fast, and safe cutting. It also features a hands-free oiling system for easy lubrication.
This tool is not suitable for large tasks that require a lot of power. Its battery drains fast, while its oiler does not always function properly.
It features a low kickback Oregon Bar and chain for smooth and safe cutting. Tool-free chain tensioning and bar tightening knob make for easy adjustments. Has a compact and lightweight design for easy handling. This chainsaw produces minimal noise.
The bar oil leaks and requires constant attention. It’s not suitable for large tasks that require high torque.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Cordless Electric Chainsaws
- They are safer. Using a cordless electric chainsaw is a safe and efficient way to cut wood. You no longer have to worry about accidentally cutting the cord or tripping over it. However, you should always use extreme caution when using a chainsaw. Take things slowly and wear goggles and earmuffs.
- Portable power. Cordless chainsaws give you the freedom to cut wood without worrying about a power cable. They are equipped with a large and powerful battery that can last quite a long time. You can also quickly recharge them with the included charger when needed and get right back to cutting trees or limbs.
- Cut more quickly. Since cordless chainsaws are more portable, you get a much wider range of mobility. You don’t have to unplug and plug the cable into a new power outlet every time you walk out of reach of the cord. Instead, you can spend more time cutting and less time focusing on how you’re going to reach your target with that pesky cable.
- They are more versatile. All the details listed above make a cordless electric chainsaw more versatile. You aren’t hindered by where you can walk, you get long-lasting power, and you save money by not having to constantly fill the chainsaws with gasoline.
Types of Cordless Electric Chainsaws
Handheld Electric Chainsaws
Handheld chainsaws are common, compact power tools. You hold them with two hands, and they can make more precise cuts up close. Each features different-sized bar lengths that give you more control over their maneuverability. They also feature long or short blades. These chainsaws are more often used by artisans or those who want to cut firewood or trim lower branches or small trees.
Pole Electric Chainsaws
Pole chainsaws are attached to long, narrow poles to reach higher places. The pole can extend to lop off tree branches that are too high to reach with handheld chainsaws. They are more commonly used by maintenance crews who keep tree limbs away from power lines. They can be more difficult to handle due to their awkward design.
Greenworks was founded in 2007 as Greenworks Tools. The company is a leader in designing battery-powered outdoor power tools such as the Greenworks 16-Inch Cordless Chainsaw. Greenworks relocated its headquarters to Moorsville, North Carolina in 2016. It manufactures snow blowers, batteries, chainsaws, trimmers, edgers, and many more power tools.
Founded in Leola, Penn., DeWalt Products Company creates high-quality tools, machines, and hardware supplies. The company officially launched in 1924 and moved its headquarters to Lancaster, Penn. One of its best cordless electric chainsaws is the DEWALT DCCS670X1 60V Brushless 16” Cordless Chainsaw Kit.
Black + Decker
This company began in 1910 when Duncan Black and Alonzo Decker opened a machine shop in Baltimore. The two manufactured a pistol-grip electric drill a few years later, which helped launch the company into a successful business. It is perhaps one of the most recognizable names in hardware, and one of its top-rated chainsaws is the BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw.
Cordless Electric Chainsaw Pricing
- $50-$100: When it comes to chainsaws, you end up paying more the longer and thicker the blade is. This price range features shorter and smaller chainsaws with 40V max batteries.
- $100-$200: The mid-price range for cordless electric chainsaws features more robust products. They are more heavy duty and come with longer-lasting batteries. They tend to run between 10 to 12 inches long and include 20V batteries.
- Over $300: If you have a $300 budget or more, you will find some of the best cordless chainsaws. They measure from 14 to 18 inches long and come with 40V batteries or larger. They are also among the lightest chainsaws available and feature more control over the variable speed trigger.
The battery is one of the most important factors in cordless electric chainsaws. They come with either a 20-, 40-, or 80-volt battery that can last you several hours on a single charge. The larger-size battery means you can use the chainsaw longer before charging it again. Keep in mind that more difficult jobs will drain the battery more quickly. Many electric chainsaws will feature lights to let you know when the battery is getting low. Recharging a dead battery can take between an hour or two, depending on its size.
The chain should be in the best condition to help reduce the chances of kickback and potential injuries. Kickback is when the chain kicks against the wood and bounces back towards you. This can happen when the chain is loose or not properly connected with the object you are cutting. The chain should feel snug but still pull freely from around the guide bar when not in use. You can test to make sure the chain is properly set by pulling one or two drive links away from the guide bar (when the machine is powered off) and then releasing them. The chain should snap back into position if all is well.
- Safety Features: Handling an electric chainsaw can be dangerous, so you should always be prepared. All are designed with grips for your hands, but you should wear gloves, eye goggles, and earmuffs when operating a chainsaw to avoid potential injuries. Chainsaws should also come with guards to protect wood chips and dust from flying towards you. Also, consider wearing a mask to protect your face.
Best Cordless Electric Chainsaw Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- Ensure you buy the right chainsaw that suits your task requirements. For example, light home tasks require smaller chainsaws, while professional logging needs a more powerful chainsaw.
- Consider the weight and the design of a chainsaw before buying. Ensure the unit is lightweight and features an ergonomic handle design for comfortable handling.
- Although most cordless chainsaws require little maintenance, you need to check your machine before any task. Ensure that the chain tension is correct and the battery is fully charged to enhance efficiency and extend the lifespan of your unit.
Q: What is a cordless electric chainsaw?
A: A cordless electric chainsaw is an upgrade from an older gas-powered saw model. Instead of using gasoline, this chainsaw is powered by a rechargeable battery to deliver the required power.
Q: Are cordless electric chainsaws safe to use?
A: Yes, they are safe if used properly. You must familiarize yourself with the machine before using it. Also, wear the right protective gear and ensure proper maintenance practices.
Q: How often should I sharpen my cordless electric chainsaw?
A: You should sharpen a cordless electric chainsaw anytime you notice a decline in performance. For example, if your chainsaw has a lot of kickbacks or it is generating chips instead of sawdust, it’s time to sharpen it.
We recommend the Greenworks 16-Inch Cordless Chainsaw since it is ergonomic, lightweight, safe, and durable.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly device, the BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw should be your pick. It is easy to use, efficient, and durable.