Best Gun Safes: Keep Your Firearm Out of Harm’s Way
Keep your guns safe at all times with these top gun safes
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
In this day and age, security is critical. But if you own a gun, the last thing you want is for it to fall into the wrong hands. A gun safe can keep your guns safe and ensure you’re the only one who accesses them. If you’ve decided to get one, choose one of these three that are among the best on the market.
This is a DOJ-approved safe that comes with an easy-to-program, 120-fingerprint biometric module. You can use it in silent mode for stealthy home defense in case of an emergency.
It is not waterproof or fireproof. The fingerprint scanner at times takes more than two tries to recognize fingerprints. Ineffective use of space.
A budget-friendly gun safe with durable construction. Ideal for storing guns and other possessions such as jewelry, documents, and more. It features a 16-gauge steel housing and a security cable.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Gun Safes
- Protect children. One of the main benefits of gun safes is the extra safety they provide. Children are curious and can get seriously injured while playing with weapons. By keeping your gun in a secured box, there's no chance that children can accidentally find it. That's why a gun safe is a must-have in a family with children.
- Prevent theft. Many gun owners have had their firearms stolen and misused. A lot of assaults and deaths are associated with gun thefts, which is why a safe is the best solution. Instead of keeping your gun in the open where everyone can find and use it, you can store it in a secured box to prevent theft and keep you and your family safe.
- Increase safety. Along with keeping yourself and others safe by storing your gun in the safe, you're also keeping your weapon secured. A specially designed safe will not only prevent thefts, but also accidental damage. High-quality gun safes are made to keep your weapon safe from fire and similar threats.
Types of Gun Safes
Handgun safes are compact and highly portable. They mostly come in the size of a briefcase but can be even smaller. These safes are designed to hold one gun and allow you to take your firearm wherever you go. Some models can also accommodate multiple guns, although they are a tad bulkier and more suitable for keeping firearms in your vehicle.
Long Gun Safes
These are designed for long guns such as rifles and shotguns. They are rather tall and take up much more space than regular gun safes. The overall width of these safes depends on the number of guns you want to store. They come in a variety of sizes, so you can choose the one that suits you the best.
Multipurpose Gun Safes
Some gun safes can also accommodate a lot of other accessories. Multi-purpose safety boxes are made to hold both handguns and long guns, as well as documents, jewelry, and other valuable possessions. They vary in size and shape—you can choose between small and large, portable and stationary, and other safe models. It all depends on your needs and personal preferences.
Barska was founded in 1994 and is located in Pomona, California. The company offers a wide range of top-rated outdoor sporting products, including sport optics, biometric safes, protective cases, gun safes, and much more. The Barska AX11620 Home Safe Box is one of the company's most popular products, and it made it to the top of our list too.
SnapSafe appeared back in 2009 in Grand Island, Nebraska, and has been growing ever since. It's a company that focuses on producing high-quality safes and security products for both professional and daily purposes. The SnapSafe Keyed Lock Box is only one of the many highly-rated products from this company.
RPNB is one of the leading companies in the production of gun safes. It's located in San Gabriel, California, and proves to be very popular among its customers. RPNB prides itself on creating an incredible line of vaults, gun storage accessories, boxes, and more. The RPNB Steel Lock Box is one of the best picks when it comes to gun safes.
Gun Safes Pricing
- Under $100: At this price point, you can find quality gun safes that are easy to use and very safe. They might lack some extra features but are still convenient and highly protected.
- $100-$300: For some extra cash, you can get high-end gun safes that have much to offer when it comes to overall safety and protection. These are made from thick steel, feature sturdy bolts, and allow for easy access.
- $300 and up: Although very expensive, gun safes at this price point are incredibly well-made. The thing that makes them special is advanced anti-theft protection. They are super difficult to open and provide the best protection for firearms.
Gun safes offer different locking mechanisms, so you can choose the one that meets your needs perfectly. Biometric lock gun safes are the most secure ones because they use fingerprint authorization. Number keypad combination gun safes allow you to set up a code and input particular digits every time you want to open it. These can also come with a pattern instead of digits. Lastly, there's a manual lock gun safe that offers you a basic mechanical dial to lock your possessions.
It's crucial to consider the size of each gun safe before the purchase. You want to make sure it's long and wide enough to accommodate your handgun or long gun, or those several weapons you have. It's also important to consider whether the gun safe will fit the space you're planning to store it. You might want to measure the area and then pick a gun safe accordingly.
Because your number one priority is keeping your firearm safe, it's crucial to double-check the construction of the desired gun safe. You want to make sure the steel gauge is high enough to prevent penetration from the outside. Thick doors and quality bolts also ensure more protection and prevent violent openings from the outside. All of these features make safes more secure and durable, so they are a must-have if you want a safe with quality construction.
- Weight. Consider the overall weight of the safe you're about to buy. If you need a home security box for your firearm, the heavier the better. Heavy safes are more secure as they are very challenging to transport. However, some people prefer lightweight safes because they need the extra portability. Small and light boxes are easier to carry and allow for more flexibility.
- Mount. Some gun safes can be mounted on fixed objects such as shelves, walls, and floors. They are difficult to move and prove to be an excellent anti-theft option. If you're worried about possible intruders, consider the mounting options a gun safe has to offer.
Best Gun Safes Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If you’d like to keep a gun in your house but you are worried about the kids finding it, make sure you store it with the safety on. You also need to make sure the bullets are close to the gun but stored separately. Any spare keys for a gun safe should be kept out of children’s reach.
- The best gun safes have a raised base. This is an extra measure to make sure there is no accidental contact between the gun and safe as you remove it. Extra security measures can include electronic locks. These locks can be quickly replaced if they get damaged.
- The basement is one of the best places to store a gun safe. Despite its access limitations, it maintains a cool temperature and is one of the safest places in the event of a fire. You can also get a dehumidifier for space.
Q: Do bolts make fire safes burglar-proof?
A: No. Fire safes are extremely vulnerable. They are not designed to hinder burglary attempts. Anyone with basic tools and bad intentions can open a fire safe if they have the right skills.
Q: Can I clean my gun safe?
A: Yes. An ammonia-based gun cleaner is the best cleaner for gun safes. Dampen a dry cotton cloth with the cleaner and wipe the safe. This will get rid of stubborn stains and fingerprints on keypads and fingerprint scanners.
Q: How can I confirm the fire safety of a fire safe?
A: Fire safes are passed through a test. If they maintain an internal temperature of less than 350 degrees (the industry standard) during a fire, they are certified safe. It is common to see a 30-minute rating. This means the safe retained the industry standard for that stipulated time.
We like that the Barska AX11620 Home Safe Box is a simple yet effective safe for home use. It is approved by the Department of Justice. However, the price and features of the SnapSafe Keyed Lock Box make it a great purchase.