Best Tactical Gloves: Protect Your Hands While Enhancing Your Grip
Enjoy the ultimate protection and grip with the best tactical gloves
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Call them shooting gloves, combat gloves, or duty gloves—tactical gloves are a must-have piece of protective gear if you like recreational activities. They not only protect your hands during combat situations but also enhance your grip and dexterity on whatever you are holding. In this article, we reviewed the three best tactical gloves on the market to help you make an informed purchase.
The TitanOPS tactical gloves protect your hands by shielding your knuckles to prevent scratches and cuts. The workmanship deployed makes them comfortable and warm, yet breathable. They are versatile and ideal for tactical training, cycling, and a range of recreational activities.
They are durable and feature reinforced palm and adjustable wrist straps. The material selection for these products allows a comfortable temperature in all weather conditions. They are also easy to clean.
They are quite uncomfortable for long-distance riding. Some users also claim that the stitching of this protective gear is not the best.
The FastFit Covert features breathable, lightweight TrekDry material that stays cool throughout. The gloves are machine washable, so cleaning is hassle-free. They are also more flexible and easy to put on or take off.
They are not ideal for those who operate bullocks. The fabric is thinner and susceptible to wear.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Tactical Gloves
- Protection. Tactical gloves are designed to protect your hands from all kinds of hazards, from scratches to punctures. They can also lower the force of impacts. This is very important for physical activities, as you’ll be using your hands a lot and can easily get hurt.
- Demanding activities. Tactical gloves come in handy during an array of outdoor activities and extreme sports. They are convenient for CrossFit, mountain climbing, and even hunting. With them, you can be more efficient, as you’ll lower the impact on your hands, keep them warm, and enhance your grip.
- Tactical situations. When in the wild or on the field, you want to make sure you have the best equipment. Tactical gloves prepare you for tactical situations, keep your hands protected, and allow for a wide range of motion. They might even enhance your grip on gear for better performance—for instance, when using a weapon.
Types of Tactical Gloves
These are multi-purpose gloves designed for different situations and conditions. They can be similar to the other two types, sniper's gauntlet and needlestick, but are not necessarily the same. All-terrain gloves are made to withstand all weather conditions and provide support for activities such as shooting sports, trekking, and driving. They are not specifically designed for one activity but are versatile and suitable for many tactical situations. They can protect, enhance the grip, or prevent cuts and impacts, all depending on the model. Also, these gloves usually have features such as padded knuckles and touchscreen or fingertip technology.
These are specially designed for sniper shooters. They have more dexterity than regular tactical gloves and are thinner for a better range of motion. It also means they are less protective. The main thing about sniper's gauntlets is the enhanced grip and the flexibility that allows you to move your fingers freely. That comes at the expense of superior protection.
These gloves are designed for tactical professionals who need protection against cuts and punctures. Thanks to the extra padding and double layers, they prevent needles from penetrating the glove and hurting the skin. Needlestick gloves are mostly used by law enforcement officers who work in urban settings. They can also be used in daily situations when there's a danger of sharp objects and needles hurting the skin.
Mechanix Wear, based in Valencia, California, was founded in 1991. It is a safety company that produces high-performance gloves for automotive, industrial, tactical, and construction purposes. Mechanix Wear is a widely popular brand that’s been recognized by professional mechanics, military, and industrial safety professionals. One of the company's most popular products are the Original Work Gloves.
Blackhawk, based in Norfolk, Virginia, is a leading provider of tactical gear for daily use and military, sports, and law enforcement purposes. The company was founded in 1990 when a Navy Seal’s pack failed, and he made a vow to make better gear. Ever since, the company produces high-quality tactical equipment, including accessories such as the Blackhawk S.O.L.A.G. Gloves.
The company was founded in 1992 and is based in Irvine, California. It all started with the production of tactical pants used for the FBI training academy. From then on, 5.11 Tactical started producing other parts of law enforcement, military, and outdoor gear. Now it's expanding to the fitness market as well. It's also very popular among civilians with products such as the 5.11 High Abrasion Tactical Gloves.
Tactical Gloves Pricing
- From $10 to $30: At this price range, you can find versatile gloves suitable for combat, hunting, trekking, and other demanding physical activities. They are comfortable and offer good protection, although they might lack some extra features and may be less durable.
- Above $30: Expect to pay more money if you want to get tactical gloves for long-term use. These gloves are usually thicker, have extra padding, and prove to be more durable. They also have additional features, such as fingertip technology, loops, padded knuckles, and more.
Depending on the material, tactical gloves offer different types of protection. The thicker ones are more resistant to outdoor threats and weather, while thinner ones allow for more free movements. Also, while some tactical gloves protect hands from cuts and punctures, others lower the impacts and prevent major bumps. Consider the intended use and then pick the material that offers the necessary protection.
Check the insulation. If you're planning to use the gloves during cold weather, you need a pair that can protect your hands from extremely low temperatures. Because they'll keep your hands safe from freezing, insulated tactical gloves will ensure more efficiency and safety when outdoors during the cold season.
The size is crucial when it comes to tactical gloves. You don't want them to be too tight or loose, because that can influence your performance. Although they might be flexible and adjustable, depending on the material, it's still important to pick the right size. The manufacturer usually provides a size chart to help pick the perfect pair.
Not all tactical gloves are built to last. Gloves that offer superior comfort and more flexibility are also less durable. Consider what’s more important: freedom of movement or durability. Either way, you want to make sure to pick a pair that will last and provide protection when used for long periods.
- Padding: Padding is crucial when it comes to tactical gloves because it provides the additional protection your hands might need in some tactical situations. Depending on the type, gloves have knuckle, palm, or finger reinforcement. Consider for what area you need the additional protection or look for a combination of extra padding.
- Waterproof: It's hard to find fully waterproof gloves, because some water usually gets through when you’re always on the move. Still, some brands design oiled and weather-resistant gloves that can resist water penetration better than other, regular models. They offer a higher level of protection when working in wet conditions and cold climates.
- Touchscreen Compatible: If you need to use your phone while also wearing tactical gloves, you should look for ones that offer touchscreen compatibility. Not all gloves have this feature. Those that do allow you to operate all modern technical devices, from smartphones to GPS systems.
Best Tactical Gloves Reviews & Recommendations 2019
- Fit is the most important factor to consider when choosing a tactical glove. Ensure that your pick is neither too tight nor too loose on your hands.
- The main purpose of buying tactical gloves is protection. A good combat glove has extra material around the knuckles, fingers, and palms.
- The type of material is also an important consideration for tactical gloves. Choose a material that is warm but breathable to enable use in both warm and cold weather.
Q: Will my tactical gloves work on touchscreen devices?
A: Not all tactical gloves will work on a touchscreen. If you intend to choose one that does, then check with the manufacturer before making a purchase.
Q: Will tactical gloves help with rheumatoid arthritis?
A: Rheumatoid arthritis, like other types of arthritis, responds positively to compression. Therefore, a perfectly fitting pair of gloves can help with pain reduction.
Q: What are the best uses for tactical gloves?
A: Initially, this protective gear was designed for law enforcement personnel. They are now ideal for handling weapons as well as for recreational activities.
We chose the TitanOPS Full Finger and Half Finger Outdoor Gloves as the best overall. They are versatile and reliable, making them ideal for a wide range of applications.
The Mechanix Wear FastFit Covert Tactical Gloves are the best pick for the value. These gloves provide remarkable protection and comfort.