Best Back Braces: Support Your Back and Relieve Pain
These top three back braces promote good posture and prevent back injuries
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Back pain is one of the most common health issues these days. We spend a lot of time sitting throughout the entire day, whether it is at our desks or behind the wheel. Our backs constantly suffer from poor posture. Some back problems are temporary, while others might develop into chronic pain. To avoid these problems you may want to consider a back brace, a useful item that promotes healthy posture and relieves pain. Here are our top picks for the best back braces.
If you suffer from lower back pain, the Mueller back brace might be an excellent option for you. It provides support to the lumbar area and ensures back pain relief. It comes in two sizes. Suitable for both men and women.
- The device is made of quality materials. It’s reinforced with steel springs for more durability.
- The double-layer design ensures a perfect fit. Features adjustable straps, removable lumbar pads, and breathable fabric.
- It allows for a full range of motion.
- The back belt is extra wide for more comfort.
- The back support belt might be larger than expected.
- It's not very discreet under clothes.
- The top of the back support belt tends to roll down.
This back brace is a great choice for those who have upper back and posture problems. It provides support for shoulders and relieves pain in the upper back area, including the neck. Works as a posture corrector. Unisex.
- The support brace is easy to put on and adjust for a tight fit.
- The high-quality and breathable fabric makes it comfortable to wear.
- The material is thin enough to be almost unnoticeable under clothing.
- Features adjustable Velcro straps on the front.
- Easy to wash.
- The provided size chart is not quite accurate.
- The breathable mesh on the back is soft and has to be set extra tight.
This is a lower back brace that provides additional support to the spine. It has a unique shape that follows the natural curve of the body. It provides lower back pain relief and prevents injuries. The brace is available in three sizes to fit different body types.
- The lumbar back brace is lightweight and comfortable.
- It proves to be very durable. It has a tight but non-restrictive support belt for back muscles.
- The breathable material keeps the skin cool and dry.
- Dual-adjustment straps allow for a custom fit.
- It is versatile and suitable for a wide range of daily activities.
- The front part is narrow and tends to fold over.
- It might not be strong enough for people with serious back issues.
- Possible delivery issues.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Best Back Braces Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- There are two types of back braces: upper and lower back support. Pick the type that provides extra support to your specific problem area.
- Choose a back support brace in a proper size. The device should be neither too loose nor too tight. Companies often provide a detailed guide to finding the right size, so make sure to follow it.
- Check the material type used for back brace construction. Avoid materials you are sensitive to or that you don’t like wearing in general. Keep in mind that you'll wear the device often, so avoiding skin irritation is crucial.
- Once you get a back brace, make sure to wear it properly. You should follow the provided instructions and position the device accordingly. If you're unsure about it, consult your doctor.
Q: What is a back brace?
A: A back brace is a device designed to support muscles and bones in the back. The device can be worn on the upper back or on the lumbar area. It's useful for sedentary people, those who suffer from bad back posture, those who are recovering from injuries and surgeries, or those who experience chronic back pain. A back brace treats conditions such as scoliosis and sciatica and provides back support to those with herniated discs.
Q: Is it safe to wear a back brace?
A: Yes, back braces are tested and safe for use. You should, however, consult a doctor before you start wearing one. Medical guidance is necessary, as your doctor can tell you how often you should wear one. Back braces shouldn't be worn all the time because they can cause skin irritation and dependency on additional support.
Q: How do you maintain a back brace?
A: You should wash your back brace regularly for sanitary reasons. Also, regular maintenance will prolong its lifespan. Keep in mind that back braces are not machine washable. Use mild soap and lukewarm water to hand wash it, then air dry it before wearing it again.
Our top pick, the Mueller 255 Lumbar Support Back Brace, is a reliable device suitable for a wide range of back issues.
Another good choice is the Truweo Upper Back Brace, which is a cost-effective alternative for the upper back area.