Best Bipods: Support and Steady Your Rifle
A quality bipod offers a steady rest to enhance shooting accuracy
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
A bipod is a simple tool yet very effective in supporting and stabilizing your rifle when shooting. This gadget helps to eradicate common human errors, improving shooting accuracy. Since there are several types and makes of bipods in the market, it can be hard to choose the right one. To simplify this process for you, we have reviewed the three best bipods on the market.
AccuShot Atlas Bipod Standard
UTG Tactical OP Bipod
Magpul Rifle Bipod
Benefits of Bipods
- Better accuracy. Bipods stabilize the aim of the shot. When shooting without a bipod, the shooter must place his elbow on the ground while shooting or squeeze the shoulders. This causes the rifle to wobble. The precision and accuracy when shooting with a bipod increase by up to 10 times more than when using only the hands.
- Necessary support. When you’re constantly using your shoulders as a support, they get tired and it’s hard to coordinate. It’s even worse if it involves carrying heavy rifles. A bipod is very useful for avoiding these problems. Not only will it improve the accuracy of the shot, but it will also help to improve your physical condition. Some bipods also have rubber feet, which also provide great support when you’re on uneven terrain. Having a good sling swivel stud to place the bipod onto the gun also provides security.
- Perform other tasks. Using bipods allows you not only to focus on your objectives, but it also enables you to perform various activities. For example, you can answer calls, change the iPod song, and turn the page of your magazine, among many other things.
- Perfect for long-range distances. Bipods are good bets when we talk about long-range shooting, as they can improve shooting accuracy for up to 200 yards.
Types of Bipods
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
A traditional bipod is one that has simple support on two legs to allow the weapon to be held horizontally. This type of bipod allows you to fold the legs to provide easy movement and still keep the weapon in a fixed position. Depending on the bipod you have, you can adjust the bipod’s legs in different shooting positions. The good thing about traditional bipods is that they’re very popular and you can find them online for a good price. Also, most of them work with a solid sling stud.
Monopods are very similar to a conventional shooting stick (single leg shooting platform). Its function is to act as a solid base for the rifle to rest. These are mounted directly on the rifle system and as long as the weapon is not in use, the monopod can be folded. This type of bipod can be adjusted around 4.5-5.5 inches. The disadvantage of the monopod is that it cannot be connected to rotating mounts, so its positions must be restored to change the shooting angles.
Grip pods are those bipods that are implemented from the front handle mounted on the front end of the rifle. These are shooters’ least favorite bipods, especially for the military since the handling of heavy machine guns is slow.
B&T Industries was founded in 1997 to bring novel ideas to shooting sports. In January 2000, the company managed to launch its first prototypes. Since then, it has continued to grow and create ideas for devices for professional and amateur shooters while maintaining its quality and durability standards. One of its best bipods is the AccuShot Atlas Bipod Standard.
This company was founded in 1999 by Magpul, a U.S. Marine who built his company based on designing and manufacturing existing polymer magazines and other accessories. Therefore, it was not surprising that he also began manufacturing bipods with the use of polymers, combining steel and aluminum. Magpul’s bipods are recognized worldwide for their high strength and durability. We recommend the Magpul Rifle Bipod.
Owned by Leapers, Inc, UTG is based in Michigan. Since 1992, UTG has been designing equipment for shooting and artifacts for hunting. The company began to produce systems of assembly and stocks of polymers in 2011. UTG Tactical OP Bipod is one of its best bipods.
- Under $25: In most cases, the bipods that are found in this price range are usually low-end. These bipods are usually quite small and their processing material may be weak. An example of this is aluminum bipods. They often cannot be placed directly on the rifle, so you must transport them separately.
- $100 to $200: Bipod devices in this range are usually mid-range gadgets made with military-level material. These can be manufactured with more resistant elements than aluminum, such as steel (durable, but very light). The legs of this type of bipods usually extend more than the low-end ones, and they can be attached to the rifle.
- Over $200: These more expensive bipods have the same benefits as the mid-range ones, but the processing material is based on durability. The legs of these models are easier to adjust and can also extend much more.
Rotating bipods that are easy to adjust will make a difference in the field. The legs should be able to extend and, at the same time, lower easily so that when adjusting your line of sight, the process is fast and efficient. On the other hand, a bipod must be easy to put in place, as good bipods must be simply attached to the rifle to configure it without any problems. The bipod must remain firm while focusing on long-distance shooting.
The bipod must adapt to your needs, so it’s really important that you clearly know how you will use it. If you prefer to sit, wait, and take things easy, you should get a bipod that does not adhere directly to the rifle.
- Material: Choose the right material based on your intended use. If you walk through difficult or uneven terrain to hunt, you may need a steel bipod. An aluminum one is lighter, but it will not be as durable.
- Height Adjustment: Think about the adjustable height of the bipod’s legs. Bipods that are able to extend their legs are ideal for people who shoot in a sitting position. On the other hand, if you hunt from a prone position, you should use a bipod that keeps the rifle off the ground without slipping.
Best Bipod Reviews & Recommendations 2020
As our best bipod overall, the AccuShot Atlas Bipod Standard is a high-quality and robust gadget. It’s made with a combination of aluminum and high-quality steel to improve the grip on any Picatinny rail. This bipod has the ability to rotate and tilt 360 degrees, allowing you to shoot in any direction without moving the weapon. Its legs are adjustable up to nine inches. It is lightweight, rust-resistant, and very durable.
However, it has some negative aspects. Some users claim that the legs may be loose. Also, the price range may be a bit high, as it is one of the most expensive on the market.
If you are looking for a bipod that combines cost and quality, this is the one. It is inexpensive, but it’s made out of high-quality aluminum and steel. It includes five different length settings for different shooting conditions. This tactical bipod includes rotating tacks and special assemblies that adapt to the measurements of the rifle.
The combination of its materials helps prevent oxidation and, at the same time, guarantees its durability. This tactical bipod can be used quite easily since it is lightweight. It is also easy to install, with its spring-operated legs.
Some things must be taken into account before buying this tactical bipod. Some of its parts can loosen over time. Also, this bipod has difficulty with the recoil of some heavy hunting rifles.
This is a mid-range bipod, but it is quite elegant. It is not only designed to reduce movements, but also to hide its mechanisms and hardware. It is made of 6061 T-6 anodized aluminum and injection-molded polymer to make it lightweight but durable. It can be easily adjusted with one hand. Also, it can extend up to four inches.
This Magpul bipod, however, is not suitable for very heavy rifles, a problem that is very common with some brands. Also, some components may become loose over time.
- The first step to using a bipod successfully is to ensure proper installation. Make sure it is installed in the correct place and tightened properly. Poor installation results in inaccurate shots.
- When shooting, ensure your bipod is not placed on a hard surface to prevent the gun from twisting or hopping after the shot. Instead, look for a softer ground that would absorb the shock.
- It is important to note that mitigating recoils lies on the user of the gun—not the bipod. Therefore, apply some pressure on the bipod to prevent the impact of recoil on your bipod.
Q: Why should I use a bipod?
A: Without a bipod, you tend to use your elbow to support your rifle. This can result in a poor shot if the arms are not firm enough. A bipod stabilizes the weapon, ensuring a balanced shot in a comfortable position.
Q: Does a bipod affect accuracy?
A: Yes, a bipod affects shooting accuracy positively. The tool supports your barrel and the end of the gun to ensure a steady shot. However, if the bipod is not properly installed and held, it may affect your accuracy negatively.
Q: Can I use a bipod when hunting?
A: A bipod is good for enhancing your shooting accuracy in any place. However, it is not advisable to carry it on your hunting trip, since it will increase the weight of your luggage. Also, animals are constantly moving at high speeds and it would be difficult to get an accurate shot on a bipod.
For quality and sturdy bipod that will serve you for years, we recommend the AccuShot Atlas Bipod Standard.
If you are on a budget and still need a bipod that works efficiently and lasts a long time, consider the UTG Tactical OP Bipod.
MORE TO READ
Best MTB Saddles: Make Mountain Biking More Comfortable
If you love to ride a mountain bike, get the best MTB saddle and enhance your experience
Best Mountain Bike Wheels: Ride Further and Longer
Glide through trails and off-road terrain more efficiently with these top mountain bike wheels
Best Mountain Bike Shorts: Ride in Comfort and Style
Hit the trail and ride comfortably with these high-quality mountain bike shorts
Best Mountain Bikes: Conquer Trails With Ease
These are the strongest, most durable and stylish mountain bikes to take on your off-road adventures