Best Boost Gauges: Monitor Your Engine’s Pressure Accurately
An excellent boost gauge keeps your pressure in check while also improving your interior
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you use a turbo or supercharger to increase your engine’s efficiency, then a boost gauge is a must-have accessory. It monitors the pressure flowing into the combustion chamber. Low pressure is inefficient, while high pressure can blow the engine.
Therefore, the gadget ensures optimum pressure for enhanced engine performance. Here are the best aftermarket boost gauges to assist you in keeping an eye on your engine.
This gadget reads your vehicle’s boost levels from 0 to 30PSI and compression levels from -30 to 0 inHG, ensuring there’s no over boost to damage your engine. It features an illuminated red needle for easy viewing.
It features a seven-color dial LED lighting system for enhanced visibility, even during night driving. Also, it comes with free lifetime technical support, which suggests it is durable.
One disadvantage of this gauge is that calibrations are not visible during the day. Professional installation is required to be able to use the indicator properly.
The gauge features a 0-20 PSI boost and a 0-30 inHg vacuum scale with a 270-degree sweep for fast pressure monitoring. It has a standard black dial with white calibration, a red needle, and internal backlights for enhanced visibility.
This gauge is durable and easy to install and read. Also, its combination of colors enhances the look of your dashboard. Additionally, it is accurate and affordable.
The gauge makes a buzzing noise when the boost is big. Also, its included tubing is stiff, and it does not come with the tee fitting needed for a complete installation.
For an executive and technological gauge, consider the AEM Boost gauge. It features a digital LED display and sweeping LED pointer that changes colors for better viewing. Its 52mm housing ensures that it will fit in most gauge pods.
The gauge comes with black and silver bezels and black and white faceplates for multiple color combinations, thus making it possible to customize your dashboard. It shuts down before any damage occurs. The gauge has quick alerts if air/fuel ratio changes.
This gauge is very expensive. Also, professional installation is required to ensure proper operation and a perfect fit.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Boost Gauges
- Safety. Too much exhaust pressure can severely damage the car's engine. A boost gauge is a device that allows for easily measuring turbo intake pressure. You can see the measurement while driving your vehicle and make sure your engine takes just the right amount of boost.
- Enhanced performance. A boost gauge protects your engine from damage and enhances its performance at the same time. By keeping track of the compression levels and pressure, you can customize and enhance the engine's overall performance.
- Improved appearance. A lot of drivers like the customized look that the boost gauge adds to their vehicles. The device mounts in the dash, on the air vents, or other convenient places. It looks elegant and makes the vehicle's interior more stylish.
Types of Boost Gauges
Mechanical boost gauges are straightforward devices that are incredibly easy to install. They operate in almost all vehicle types and are very reliable. Mechanical boost gauges measure the pressure directly, which is why they tend to be more accurate than digital ones. Because of the retro design, they are also suitable for old-fashioned vehicles. Most buyers find them budget-friendly.
Unlike mechanical boost gauges, these devices electronically monitor the applied boost and estimate the pressure, sending the estimated information to the display. For that reason, digital boost gauges are considered less accurate than their mechanical counterparts. However, they are more comfortable to operate and have a modern design to complement newer vehicle models.
One thing to keep in mind with digital boost gauges is the price and the installation. These devices are often quite expensive and require an electronic setup.
GlowShift was founded in 2004 and is located in West Berlin, N.J. The company produces all kinds of gauges, gauge accessories, and replacement parts. For over 15 years, GlowShift has offered many gauge series to meet the needs of all buyers on the market. The GlowShift Boost Gauge is our best overall pick.
Bosch is a German multinational company founded back in 1886 in Stuttgart, Germany. The little "Workshop for Precision Mechanics and Electrical Engineering" quickly evolved into a widely popular engineering and technology company. In 1906, Bosch established its presence in North America, and it is one of the first choices in the USA when it comes to auto parts, equipment, tools, and more. We find the Bosch Mechanical Boost Gauge the best budget-friendly option out there.
Boost Gauge Pricing
- Under $50: At this price point, you can get reliable mechanical boost gauges with an elegant design to compliment your vehicle. They only might lack some extra features for more user convenience.
- $60 and up: Digital boost gauges can turn out to be rather expensive because they work with electronic setups and offer features such as colorful LED displays. However, they make a good investment for those who want a modern and more comfortable design.
Boost Gauge Type
First and foremost, you'll want to decide on a particular boost gauge type. As mentioned above, there are two main types available on the market. The mechanical one measures the pressure directly and features an analog display. Digital ones have digital displays and monitor and estimate the pressure electronically.
We recommend choosing the type depending on your vehicle model and your personal preference. You want to make sure a device will work properly and efficiently and to pick the one that looks good in your vehicle. A boost gauge is an efficient device with a great capability to improve the vehicle’s interior and make it stand out from others.
To make sure a boost gauge will work in your vehicle, it's crucial to check its compatibility with a particular vehicle model. For example, a digital unit demands an electronic setup and won't work without it. A mechanical boost gauge works with almost all vehicle types, but we still recommend caution. The best would be to contact the seller and check each device's compatibility with your particular vehicle. That way, you can avoid mistakes and buy the best boost gauge for your needs.
- Design. You can also pick the overall design of the boost gauge so it complements your vehicle. These devices come in many colors and shapes. Some of them have elegant single-color displays, while others have an LED multiple-color system. You can pick the perfect one for your needs and also make sure you'll be able to read it easily during rides.
- Budget. Another thing to consider before the purchase is your budget. That will help you narrow down your choices and make a pick without overspending.
Best Boost Gauges Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- There are two types of boost gauges: mechanical and digital. A digital gauge is more comfortable to operate, since it employs a digital setup, eliminating manual labor.
- Consider compatibility with your vehicle, your budget, signal type (digital or analog), and personalization capabilities.
- Selecting an analog or digital display type of gauge depends on your preference. However, the digital display is easier to read.
Q: What are the functions of a boost gauge?
A good gauge keeps your engine functioning optimally, enhances the look of your dashboard, and saves you a trip to the mechanic.
Q: Is it hard to install a boost gauge?
The complexity of gauge installation depends on the type of gauge. Most electronic gauges are easy to install, while mechanical gauges often require professional installation.
Q: Do I need a boost gauge?
If you use a turbo or a supercharger to increase the speed of your vehicle, a boost gauge is one gadget you should have. It enhances your engine performance while keeping it safe from any damage caused by high pressure.
Our overall best pick is the GlowShift Boost Gauge. It is efficient, durable, and fits a variety of models. However, if you are on a tighter budget, we recommend the Bosch Mechanical Boost Gauge. It also works perfectly, and it is easy to mount.