Best Women’s Motorcycle Jackets: Wear Good Gear and Stay Safe
Wear a motorcycle jacket and look great while also keeping you safe
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Gone are the days of bulky women’s motorcycle jackets that look like they’re meant for men. These days, women’s jackets are cut to fit a female’s shape and style. This helps them look fabulous, but they also function better when it comes to protection. Check out these three jackets that are sure to please.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Women’s Motorcycle Jackets
- Protection. The number one reason to wear a motorcycle jacket is for extra protection. The material is typically thick and padded to keep you safer if you ever get into a wreck.
- Comfort. You should be comfortable when riding your motorcycle, no matter the season. The best motorcycle jacket will keep you warm in colder weather and prevent the sun from burning your skin on hotter days. The thick material will also prevent rain or snow from seeping through to your clothes.
- Stylish. Motorcycle jackets can make a fashion statement as well. You can choose from a genuine leather jacket or one that fits your personality. You may even be able to find one that matches your motorcycle.
Types of Women’s Motorcycle Jackets
Perhaps the most popular motorcycle jacket types are leather. They can be comfortable, stylish, sleek, and offer a huge range of protection. The leather will reduce the chances of scraping or cutting your skin if you fall off the bike. The leather is typically made out of thick cowhide, buffalo hide, or even pigskin.
A sport motorcycle jacket is one typically worn by professional dirt bikers. They offer a high amount of protection with large thick shoulder and chest pads. They also tend to be more rigid and are made out of more durable material. They are also more aerodynamic to help increase speed and control over the bike.
Touring motorcycle jackets are designed for extended or long-distance rides. They will feature more pockets to carry more items and equipment in. Plus, they come with extra padding to increase comfort on the road and are made out of water-resistant material to keep the rain off you. You may even find some with built-in heating or cooling systems as well.
An off-road motorcycle jacket is one built to be taken off the beaten path. These jackets are designed with the most amount of padding to increase overall comfort on difficult terrain. They will be made out of a water-resistant and windproof material as well. They are generally thicker and more robust.
Joe Rocket is a motorcycle apparel company that was founded in 1992. With a headquarters based in California, Joe Rocket designs and manufactures premium quality motorcycle jackets for bikers, pros, and sports. The Joe Rocket Cleo 2.2 Women's Mesh Motorcycle Riding Jacket is a great choice of motorcycle jacket for riders of all levels.
Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing Co.
The Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing Co., founded in 2003, is responsible for making just about everything a rider needs on the open road. From jackets to boots and gear and accessories, the company understands what makes a high-quality piece of motorcycle gear. Milwaukee’s Milwaukee Leather Ladies Motorcycle Jacket is a high-end jacket that offers great protection and comfort.
Women’s Motorcycle Jacket Pricing
- Under $100: You can find a motorcycle jacket for less than 100 bucks, but it may be lacking in quality. They are stylish and comfortable but may not come with as much padding or protection.
- $100 - $200: This price range is where you will find the majority of high-quality motorcycle jackets for sale. You will find them in all different styles, colors, and types. They will also feature padding and various features such as heating or cooling.
- $200 and up: Once you hit this price range, you’re going to find some premium motorcycle jackets. They’ll be more comfortable and last you much longer. You will also find they may feature more advanced technology like built-in heating, phone chargers, or removable liners.
When it comes to motorcycle jackets, you should go for one that best fits your needs. If all you do is ride periodically, then you may not need a jacket built to handle for difficult terrain or extended rides. Those who commute to work may want to consider a leather jacket to protect them on the road, while those who do motocross or dirt biking may want to go for an off-road or sport motorcycle jacket.
- Fit. Motorcycle jackets tend to fit more snugly, so you will want to consider buying a size larger. Also, keep in mind that you will be wearing layers underneath the jacket and they can be pretty bulky at times. If you get a jacket with elbow or shoulder pads, they need to fit directly over your elbows and shoulders.
- Padding. Extra padding such as the ones mentioned above is important. They help to protect you in case you get into an accident or need to bail from your bike. Armor can also be found on the chest, back, and torso. Sport and off-roading jackets tend to feature more padding that can even be removed if required.
- Breathability. One of the most important things about owning a motorcycle jacket is staying cool on the ride. They can get quite warm on hot days so you need a jacket that is breathable. Proper ventilation will ensure you are kept cool and don’t get overheated. Air vents can be found in the sleeves, armpits, and neck area of most jackets.
Best Women’s Motorcycle Jacket Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- Think about the style of riding you do, and then buy a jacket that matches. A sportbike jacket will have curved sleeves and be longer in the back. A cruiser jacket will be longer in the front and more flexible in the shoulders. A touring jacket will have several pockets for storage.
- Buy a jacket that fits while riding, not standing. Put the jacket on, and get into a riding position. Check to see that the sleeves and torso are long enough. Adjust the waist so that it’s fitted and won’t flap in the wind.
- Keep the weather in mind. Find a jacket that’s meant for the climate you’ll ride in. Summer jackets have the most venting, while winter jackets have the most heat-insulating material. You can also find three-season jackets that have a liner to take you from warm to cool temperatures.
Q: What are the key features to look for in a woman’s motorcycle jacket?
A: Look for venting, which will keep you from getting too hot in warmer weather. There should be both interior and exterior pockets. A cinched or belted waist will let you adjust the fit so that the jacket is snug. A removable liner will help you keep your jacket fresh and clean. Stretch panels in the shoulders and elbows will give the jacket more flexibility. An articulated riding position will make the jacket more comfortable.
Q: Should I look for a protective shell for my ladies motorcycle jacket?
A: Protective shells are hard plastic or foam inserts that sit in pockets on the inside of the jacket. They typically protect your shoulders, elbows, and spine. While they aren’t required, they will provide you with an increased level of protection if you fall.
Q: Does the price of a woman’s motorcycle jacket matter? Is the expense worth it?
A: Can you put a value on your life? Focus less on the price and more on the quality of the construction. More often than not, more expensive jackets are better-constructed. You want to buy a jacket that will protect you when you need it most. Keep in mind that quality motorcycle gear should last you for years to come.
The Milwaukee Leather Ladies Motorcycle Jacket will provide you with protection while giving you that classic biker look.
The Harley-Davidson Women's Callahan Mesh Riding Jacket will keep you cool and match your Harley.