Best Bike Cargo Trailers: Transport Your Stuff In Style
Carry all your important stuff with a high-performance bike cargo trailer
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Without a doubt, the best thing about cycling is its health benefits. However, if you have luggage, you may wonder how to transport it on a bicycle. That’s where a bike cargo trailer comes in. Whether you’re going camping or grocery shopping, a bike cargo trailer can be a very convenient accessory. In the buying guide below, we review the best bike cargo trailers based on different needs.
Aosom Wanderer Folding Bicycle Bike Cargo
If you use your bike frequently and constantly carry heavy loads, you’ll appreciate the 110-pound weight limit of this cargo trailer. Its side walls open up to increase its capacity and make it easy to transport large objects.
- This cargo trailer is made from high-grade steel and features a durable plastic bottom for enhanced structural support
- You can upgrade the 16-inch pneumatic tires to 20-inch tires and still retain maneuverability
- This is an open cargo trailer, so you may have to buy a cover separately if you want to keep your luggage safe
- No matter the wheel size, turning takes up plenty of space, and you can easily graze someone else’s bike or car
Allen Sports Yoogo Cargo Trailer
This bike cargo trailer is unique, as it can also be used as a pull cart. It is easy to install and remove and fits most bicycles. It has a strong frame and comes with elastic netting that protects your cargo from damage.
- Its 12-inch wheels and tough plastic bottom allow it to carry heavy loads
- The tires make it ideal for a 14-inch bike
- The bike cargo trailer has a capacity of 2,800 cubic inches
- Cargo loops help secure your belongings
- You’ll have to get a cover for it as your things may fall out through the sides or get wet from road debris and rain
- Its walls are short and may not contain some of your items
- There’s no way to lock it (no zip), so you can’t leave your possessions unattended
Aosom Elite II Bike Cargo Trailer
This bike cargo trailer is ideal for running errands and short-distance travel. It can carry heavy loads and has a weight capacity of 88 pounds. It is easy to assemble and you can fold it when you want to store it.
- It comes with a removable cover that keeps your items secure as you ride
- The bike hitch allows you to easily attach it to most bike frames
- Its steel frame makes it both tough and durable
- It doesn’t respond well when you make sharp turns or back up
- Only the base is made of metal
- The side walls are made of fabric and bulge out when you fill the trailer with items, rubbing the wheels
- The tires become wobbly after a while
Benefits of a Bike Cargo Trailer
- Convenience. Bike cargo trailers take the hassle out of carrying luggage that would otherwise overwhelm you. They make it easy to move from point A to point B. They can carry heavy loads and are perfect accessories for a bike.
- Multipurpose. A bike cargo trailer can be used to carry a variety of things—not just groceries and gear. If you have a pet but don’t have a pet trailer, you can attach a cargo trailer to create a temporary back seat for them—just make sure they’re wearing a helmet.
- Protection. The weather can change when you least expect it. If your cargo is uncovered, it will be exposed to the elements. Some bike cargo trailers come with covers that protect your items and keep them dry.
Types of Bike Cargo Trailers
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
If you are planning to go for a hike in a hilly area and will be taking your bike along, the one-wheel cargo trailer is the perfect accessory. It has one wheel and is ideal for navigating narrow trails. Its biggest benefit is it can easily maneuver curves and turns. However, you better pack light since these bike cargo trailers compromise carrying capacity for functionality.
Two-wheelers are suitable for urban settings where sidewalks and bike lanes are well-designed. They distribute weight more evenly and have a higher load capacity than one-wheel bike cargo trailers. These two features make them perfect for carrying higher loads and for riding on flat roads. However, despite their high carrying capacity, they are not very flexible.
You can upgrade from a two-wheel bike cargo trailer to a four-wheel if you want to increase the carrying capacity. These cargo trailers have stronger frames and lower bases. Unlike one-wheelers and two-wheelers, they are able to transport heavy or long materials. However, this is not the bike trailer to get if you plan to go hiking in hilly areas. Its design prevents it from making sharp turns.
Oregon-based Aosom is a provider of outdoor accessories. It has a wide range of products under different brand names. Each of its products is unique and showcases creativity and originality. The bike trailer category includes bike trailers for kids, for cargo, and for pets. If you are in the market for a highly-rated bike cargo trailer, the Aosom Double Wheel Bicycle Cargo Trailer is a good pick.
Schwinn is one of the biggest manufacturers of outdoor accessories. It was founded in 1895 in Chicago as a bike company. Over the years, the company has grown to become a favorite among outdoor enthusiasts. It now boasts a wide range of products that appeal to a wide range of people. However, we think the Schwinn Day Tripper Cargo Bike Trailer is still one of the best products the company has ever made.
Burley is a company inspired by innovation and the need to live a car-free life. Since 1978, these key principles have guided the development of products for bike lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. The Oregon-based company has a reputation for making awesome kids’ bicycle trailers, cargo trailers, and pet trailers. The Burley Travoy Bike Trailer, which attaches to a bike’s seat post, is worth checking out.
Bike Cargo Trailer Pricing
- Under $100: Although you may have a hard time finding a bike trailer in this price range, sometimes reputable companies like Schwinn and Instep sell bike cargo trailers for less than $100. However, these are typically lightweight and can only carry small loads.
- $100-$200: Most bike owners will find a bike cargo trailer here. The bicycle trailers are made of sturdy materials like steel and aluminum and have a higher load capacity
- $200-$300: You can expect bike cargo trailers with unique features in this price bracket. The features include heavy-duty construction, higher load capacity, and greater maneuverability.
There are two factors that determine the stability of a bike cargo trailer: the wheels and the side walls. One-wheel bike cargo trailers are agile but less stable than two-wheel cargo trailers. Two-wheel cargo trailers do not make the bike fall over easily when you stop. Be sure to get a trailer with a steel frame and side walls. To be on the safe side, you can also choose one with a cover.
This should be one of your top priorities when choosing a bike cargo trailer. If you plan on carrying heavy items every day, you will need a trailer that can handle heavy loads. Load capacity is influenced by the material used to build the trailer as well as the suspension. The number of wheels also affect the carrying capacity. A two-wheel trailer can carry heavier items than a single-wheel trailer.
Look at the suspension carefully when buying a bike cargo trailer. It will influence the carrying capacity and the trailer’s ability to handle shock. The suspension is a very important feature if you’ll mostly be using the bike cargo trailer outdoors on rugged terrain. Low suspension can help a cargo trailer to handle shocks well. Things won’t keep falling out, causing you to stop every now and then.
- Wheel Size and Type. The wheels may not be the first thing you look at, but they dictate how the trailer moves. Big pneumatic wheels can handle off-road terrain better than smaller wheels. However, smaller tires can help the bike cargo trailer turn easily. Bigger tires also tend to raise the bicycle trailer, giving it more ground clearance.
- Material. Aluminum is the material that’s mostly used to construct bike cargo trailers. It is lightweight and has the ability to withstand harsh weather conditions. It is also highly durable. Steel is also used as it can handle heavy loads and tackle rough terrain.
- Design. When choosing the design, consider the bike trailer’s ease of use. Check whether it is foldable as foldable bicycle trailers are easy to store. You should also look at the hitch (connector) as it determines how stable the trailer is when you’re tackling corners.
Best Bike Cargo Trailer Reviews & Recommendations 2021
A stainless steel frame, high side walls, and big wheels make this an awesome bike cargo trailer. It has more carrying capacity than other bike trailers in its category and can carry up to 110 pounds. It is a great option for those trips that require heavy luggage. Featuring a foldable frame, you can put it in storage and only bring it out when you need it.
When you want to make room for more luggage, simply collapse the sides and the tough plastic base will hold your items. The front and back walls are also collapsible. Rear reflectors make sure your bike stays visible at all times.
The universal hitch makes this cargo trailer usable even when you change bikes. You can also replace the 16-inch wheels with 22-inch wheels without greatly compromising maneuverability. However, you need to buy a cover if you want to keep your items clean and dry. The bike cargo trailer also takes up plenty of space because of its design. You must be careful not to dent cars in heavy-traffic areas.
Designed to be functional yet affordable, the Allen Sports Cargo Trailer was created for those who have made biking a lifestyle. You don't have to mount it on a bike to make the most of it. You can use it as a hand cart when you’re towing heavy items. The 12-inch wheels make it easy for you to control the bicycle trailer whether it is attached to a bike or not.
If you’re covering a long distance and you are worried about your valuables falling off, you can use the cargo loops to secure them. The loops also keep the netting cover in place. The netting prevents your items from falling off, and you can add a waterproof cover if you want to protect your possessions from the elements.
The 12-inch wheels make this bike trailer a great fit for a 14-inch wheel bike. They are durable, so you do not have to worry about replacement costs. The bike cargo trailer can carry up to 2,800 cubic inches. However, the trailer has short side walls, so you may have to pack light. If you don’t, your valuables may easily fall down. There’s also no way for you to lock the bike trailer, so your things won’t be safe.
Thanks to its sleek design, this bike cargo trailer is an attention-grabber. Its strong base allows it to carry items weighing up to 88 pounds. The red and black cover, which makes up the top part of the trailer, protects items against harsh sunlight and other weather elements. It also makes the trailer lightweight and easy to put together and disassemble.
The steel frame gives the trailer structural integrity. Assembly only takes a few minutes and you do not need technical know-how to do it. The hitch is made of strong steel and makes the trailer very durable. The top cover is waterproof and also washable. If you happen to be out riding and it rains, you won't have to worry about your valuables getting wet.
The 20-inch tires provide ample ground clearance for the bicycle trailer, allowing you to tackle almost any terrain. However, the fabric cover bulges at the sides when the trailer is full, affecting the wheels’ movements. The tires may also start wobbling after some time. Additionally, their big size makes taking sharp corners problematic.
- Purchase a bike lock to keep your trailer safe every time you use it. Other safety precautions include getting decorative LED light fixtures, flags, or reflective indicators.
- To make the most of limited space, place items vertically. You can also invest in bungee cords, a rope, or straps for securing your belongings.
- Consider your bike’s size and traveling patterns. If you are a frequent cycler and like to travel light, a smaller cargo trailer will be more beneficial.
Q: Can you use the same bike cargo trailer when you change bikes?
A: Most bike cargo trailers have a universal attachment mechanism. If you happen to change bikes, this feature will make it easy for you to attach the trailer to your new bike.
Q: Is there a standard weight limit for bike cargo trailers?
A: Bike cargo trailers can carry loads of up to 160 pounds. Depending on their construction, components, and design, some trailers can surpass this weight capacity. However, it is important to note that heavy loads will affect the durability and structural integrity of a trailer.
Q: Can I install a bike cargo trailer on a motorcycle?
A: Yes, you can attach a bike cargo trailer to a motorcycle. However, you may have to reduce your riding and turning speed. You may also have to regulate the weight of your load.
The Aosom Wanderer Folding Bicycle Bike Cargo is our top pick due to its large capacity and weight limit.
The Allen Sports Yoogo Cargo Trailer is another great pick if you are looking for value and performance.
MORE TO READ
Best Bikepacking Bikes: Tackle Rugged Terrain and Steep Climbs
Top picks for the best off-road and long-distance bikepacking adventures
Best Bike Phone Mounts: Keep Your Phone Within Reach
These bike phone mounts will secure your phone while you’re riding on your bike
Best Bike Trailers: Carry Kids and Cargo on the Go
These top bike trailers are comfortable, functional, and easy to install
Best Motorcycle Tents: Portable Shelters for Your Bike
These are the top weatherproof motorcycle sheds and tents for easy bike protection