Best Truck Mattresses: Ultimate Comfort for Your Truck Bed
Check out our top picks for the best truck mattress to get a good night’s sleep
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Sleeping in the bed of a pickup truck doesn’t have to leave you feeling bruised and battered when you wake up. You don’t have to sleep on cold, hard steel with channels that feel like canyons on your back. A new mattress for your pickup truck bed can make you feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud and will help you get a better night's rest. Check out our list of the top truck mattresses.
One of the best mattresses around, designed by one of the leading manufacturers of truck mattresses. The bed fits securely between the truck bed wheel wells, and fits in beds between 5.8 and 6 feet long.
- The mattress inflates easily thanks to its built-in battery powered pump
- It is comfortable, sleeps two adults or a few children, can be folded, and is made out of a soft polyester material
- The mattress is not meant to fit in truck beds that are 5 feet or shorter
- It may not fit on wide beds properly, and It can deflate overnight
This comfortable truck mattress is ideal for both truck beds and SUVs. It has wings on the sides to keep you from banging your knees on the wheel wells. Two built-in pillows make it feel almost like your bed at home.
- It has a plush, double-sided, thick flocking topper that gives it extra strength as well as makes it breathable
- This comfortable mattress comes with a rechargeable 12-volt air pump for quick and easy inflation
- This mattress is able to replace the truck sleeper mattress in long-haul semi-trucks
- The construction of this mattress gives it a wavy effect similar to a water bed when at full inflation, which may feel odd
- The bottom portion of the mattress is of thinner material than the top and is susceptible to damage
This truck mattress is made with high-grade PVC. It has built-in air coils to relieve pressure points over the wheel wells of six to 8-foot truck beds. The pump’s extra-long cord will reach even crew cab-length beds
- The pump that comes with this mattress has a 16-foot long cord to reach anywhere in any full-size truck
- The high-grade PVC is stronger than the PVC used in other truck mattresses
- Doesn’t fit 5-foot truck beds
- The plastic welds at the seams can break in lower temperatures
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Truck Mattresses
- Convenience. One of the biggest benefits of a truck mattress is that it provides a convenient place to sleep. This is especially important if you have to stop overnight at a rest stop and aren’t able to find lodging.
- Cost savings. If you’re always on the road, the added expense of booking lodging can add up. Having a quality truck mattress helps to reduce your overall work expenses and helps you save money in the long run.
- Comfort. Especially for campers, a mattress in an elevated space like your truck bed can be far more comfortable than a sleeping bag on the ground.
Types of Truck Mattresses
Truck Mattresses Without Pumps
The most basic type of truck mattress will require you to find a separate source to inflate your mattress. These models tend to be cheaper and are ideal for budget-conscious shoppers or those who don’t need to use a truck mattress frequently. These models are still sturdy options that provide plenty of support and are designed to fit truck beds as well.
Truck Mattresses With Built-in Pumps
Most truck mattresses are specialized air mattresses with dimensions designed to fit in the truck bed. But some models come with built-in rechargeable pumps. This is ideal for people who are camping or located somewhere without a power source. While these models are pricier than mattresses without pumps, the built-in pump feature helps streamline the inflation process and eliminates the frustration of misplacing a pump.
Wey & Fly
Wey & Fly is an e-commerce–focused brand that creates a range of products for use around the house and for outdoor activities, too. While we focused on its truck mattress, you can also rely on this brand for inflatable essentials like this hand pump.
Pittman Outdoors is a name that’s synonymous with quality outdoor camping gear. One of its most popular options is the AirBedz truck beds that we feature in our buying guide. But it also makes a range of outdoor products like pump accessories and pool floats.
Truck Mattress Pricing
- Under $75: With a modest budget, you can find a simple truck mattress that can also double as an SUV mattress, but it will require a separate pump for inflation.
- $76 to $150: In this price range, you can find a truck mattress with wheel well cutouts for a precise fit in your truck bed and air coils for support.
- $151 and up: At a premium price, these truck mattresses often feature built-in pumps as well as wheel well cutouts and air coils.
Truck mattresses are designed to be portable, but they should also be sturdy and able to stand up to extended use over time. Look for models made from PVC, which is designed for rugged use. You still want your truck mattress to be comfortable, so look for options that feature a brushed fabric top cover.
A good quality truck mattress needs to offer support. With a traditional mattress for your home, springs help to distribute weight and provide vital support for your body. While this is usually found on pricier truck mattress models, air coils help to keep weight evenly distributed, which means that you’ll sleep more comfortably.
Truck Bed Compatibility
One of the biggest factors you need to prioritize is whether a truck mattress will fit comfortably in your truck bed. In addition to confirming that the dimensions are compatible, you should also consider the wheel wells. These areas in your truck bed stick out and make it difficult for a basic air mattress to easily fit in the bed. Depending on your budget, a model with wheel well cutouts can be the perfect solution.
- Weight Capacity. Confirm that your truck mattress can support the total amount of weight for whoever will sleep on it. Most are rated for 300 pounds, but you should always confirm weight limits.
- Inflation. How will you inflate your mattress? Do you have a separate air pump, or does your mattress have a built-in air pump?
- Mattress Size. Truck mattresses usually come in full, full XL, and queen sizes. Most trucks will be fine with a full or full XL. However, if you have an extended or wider cab, a queen mattress is a better choice.
Best Truck Mattress Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Most truck mattresses are designed to fit a specific truck bed length. Make sure you measure both the length and width of your truck bed before ordering.
- Not all truck mattresses are built the same. Some are made with inferior materials that may weaken and crack in colder temperatures.
- Lying directly on a plastic mattress can cause you to sweat when it’s hot. Consider a mattress with breathable flocking on top.
Q: Do truck mattresses inflate and deflate quickly?
A: Yes. Newer truck air mattresses have new valve designs that make for faster inflation and deflation times as well as an improved seal over previous models.
Q: Can I use a truck mattress in my SUV?
A: Yes. Truck mattresses can be used in truck beds, the backs of SUVs, and vans. You can even use them on the beach or at the park.
Q: Will a truck bed air mattress work with my bed tent if it has a built-in floor?
A: Yes. A truck bed air mattress works great with bed tents, even those with built-in floors. You can also use it with a camper shell.
Our best overall truck mattress is the Pittman Outdoors AirBedz Original Truck Bed Air Mattress. It fits snugly between the truck bed wheel wells, sleeps two adults, and inflates quickly.
Our best value pick, the WEY&FLY SUV Air Mattress, has a thick flock coating for extra comfort.