LAST UPDATED: November 21, 2019
Best Truck Mattresses: Ultimate Comfort for Your Truck Bed
Check out our top picks for the best truck mattress to get a good night’s sleep
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON November 21, 2019
Sleeping in the bed of a pickup truck doesn’t have to leave you feeling bruised and battered when you wake up. You don’t have to sleep on cold, hard steel with channels that feel like canyons on your back. A new mattress for your pickup truck bed can make you feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud and will help you get a better night's rest. Check out our list of the top truck mattresses.
One of the best mattresses around, designed by one of the leading manufacturers of truck mattresses. The bed fits securely between the truck bed wheel wells, and fits in beds between 5.8 and 6 feet long.
- The mattress inflates easily thanks to its built-in battery powered pump
- It is comfortable, sleeps two adults or a few children, can be folded, and is made out of a soft polyester material
- The mattress is not meant to fit in truck beds that are 5 feet or shorter
- It may not fit on wide beds properly, and It can deflate overnight
This comfortable truck mattress is ideal for both truck beds and SUVs. It has wings on the sides to keep you from banging your knees on the wheel wells. Two built-in pillows make it feel almost like your bed at home.
- It has a plush, double-sided, thick flocking topper that gives it extra strength as well as makes it breathable
- This comfortable mattress comes with a rechargeable 12-volt air pump for quick and easy inflation
- This mattress is able to replace the truck sleeper mattress in long-haul semi-trucks
- The construction of this mattress gives it a wavy effect similar to a water bed when at full inflation, which may feel odd
- The bottom portion of the mattress is of thinner material than the top and is susceptible to damage
This truck mattress is made with high-grade PVC. It has built-in air coils to relieve pressure points over the wheel wells of six to 8-foot truck beds. The pump’s extra-long cord will reach even crew cab-length beds
- The pump that comes with this mattress has a 16-foot long cord to reach anywhere in any full-size truck
- The high-grade PVC is stronger than the PVC used in other truck mattresses
- Doesn’t fit 5-foot truck beds
- The plastic welds at the seams can break in lower temperatures
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Truck Mattresses
- Convenience. One of the biggest benefits of a truck mattress is that it provides a convenient place to sleep. This is especially important if you have to stop overnight at a rest stop and aren’t able to find lodging.
- Cost savings. If you’re always on the road, the added expense of booking lodging can add up. Having a quality truck mattress helps to reduce your overall work expenses and helps you save money in the long run.
- Comfort. Especially for campers, a mattress in an elevated space like your truck bed can be far more comfortable than a sleeping bag on the ground.
Types of Truck Mattresses
Truck Mattresses Without Pumps
The most basic type of truck mattress will require you to find a separate source to inflate your mattress. These models tend to be cheaper and are ideal for budget-conscious shoppers or those who don’t need to use a truck mattress frequently. These models are still sturdy options that provide plenty of support and are designed to fit truck beds as well.
Truck Mattresses With Built-in Pumps
Most truck mattresses are specialized air mattresses with dimensions designed to fit in the truck bed. But some models come with built-in rechargeable pumps. This is ideal for people who are camping or located somewhere without a power source. While these models are pricier than mattresses without pumps, the built-in pump feature helps streamline the inflation process and eliminates the frustration of misplacing a pump.
Wey & Fly
Wey & Fly is an e-commerce–focused brand that creates a range of products for use around the house and for outdoor activities, too. While we focused on its truck mattress, you can also rely on this brand for inflatable essentials like this hand pump.
Pittman Outdoors is a name that’s synonymous with quality outdoor camping gear. One of its most popular options is the AirBedz truck beds that we feature in our buying guide. But it also makes a range of outdoor products like pump accessories and pool floats.
Truck Mattress Pricing
- Under $75: With a modest budget, you can find a simple truck mattress that can also double as an SUV mattress, but it will require a separate pump for inflation.
- $76 to $150: In this price range, you can find a truck mattress with wheel well cutouts for a precise fit in your truck bed and air coils for support.
- $151 and up: At a premium price, these truck mattresses often feature built-in pumps as well as wheel well cutouts and air coils.
Truck mattresses are designed to be portable, but they should also be sturdy and able to stand up to extended use over time. Look for models made from PVC, which is designed for rugged use. You still want your truck mattress to be comfortable, so look for options that feature a brushed fabric top cover.
A good quality truck mattress needs to offer support. With a traditional mattress for your home, springs help to distribute weight and provide vital support for your body. While this is usually found on pricier truck mattress models, air coils help to keep weight evenly distributed, which means that you’ll sleep more comfortably.
Truck Bed Compatibility
One of the biggest factors you need to prioritize is whether a truck mattress will fit comfortably in your truck bed. In addition to confirming that the dimensions are compatible, you should also consider the wheel wells. These areas in your truck bed stick out and make it difficult for a basic air mattress to easily fit in the bed. Depending on your budget, a model with wheel well cutouts can be the perfect solution.
- Weight Capacity. Confirm that your truck mattress can support the total amount of weight for whoever will sleep on it. Most are rated for 300 pounds, but you should always confirm weight limits.
- Inflation. How will you inflate your mattress? Do you have a separate air pump, or does your mattress have a built-in air pump?
- Mattress Size. Truck mattresses usually come in full, full XL, and queen sizes. Most trucks will be fine with a full or full XL. However, if you have an extended or wider cab, a queen mattress is a better choice.
Best Truck Mattress Reviews & Recommendations 2021
Pittman may be the pinnacle of truck mattresses and its Outdoors AirBedz Original Truck Bed Air Mattress is certainly one of the best. The PP1 102 model mattress is a bright blue full-sized bed that fits snugly into a 6-foot bed. You could fit it in a shorter bed but you’d have to leave the tailgate down to do so. It’s made out of a polyester material that is soft and padded for improved comfort.
The mattress is molded to fit directly over the wheel wells and fits tightly and securely in the truck bed. As another added benefit, the mattress comes with a built-in battery that inflates it without needing to be plugged into an outlet. It’s also highly durable without being uncomfortable or rigid.
However, the mattress is not designed to fit on any truck bed that is 5 feet or shorter. It is rather expensive as well. There have also been reports that it can lose air over time. You may need to have an outlet nearby if you need to add air to it during the night.
Even if your budget doesn’t allow for a pricier truck mattress, you shouldn’t have to sacrifice comfort. Our Best Value pick is the Wey&Fly SUV Air Mattress. In addition to being rated for SUVs, this is also ideal for truck beds. The built-in side wings help to protect you from bumping into the wheel wells. The two built-in pillows help to minimize the gear you need to bring for your next outdoor excursion.
Comfort is one of the biggest draws for this budget-friendly truck mattress. You’ll like how plush this seamless mattress feels. The double-sided, thick flocking topper gives the mattress extra strength and improves breathability. An added bonus is that this truck mattress includes a rechargeable 12-volt air pump. Best of all, this mattress will also work for long-haul semi-trucks.
Unfortunately, the thinner mattress doesn’t distribute weight as well as pricier models. A common issue is that laying on this mattress mimics the feel of a water bed when the mattress is fully inflated. For some, this may be disorienting. Plus, the bottom of the mattress is made from thinner material, which could be damaged.
The AirBedz Light (PPI PV202C) truck mattress is our Honorable Mention because it pairs premium features with a middle-range price. The mattress is made from high-grade PVC and features built-in air coils to help evenly distribute weight and reduce pressure points. Plus, the built-in wheel well cutouts make this a smart choice for six- to eight-foot truck beds. The extra-long cord on the included air pump will work with crew cab-length beds.
One of the biggest benefits of this mattress is that the included pump has an extended-length cord that measures 16-feet long for easy power access. The PVC material used on this mattress is stronger than the PVC used in competitor truck mattresses.
However, truck owners with smaller truck beds will struggle to make this truck mattress work. Specifically, it’s not compatible with five-foot truck beds. Another issue we found was that the plastic welds at the seams can break in lower temperatures.
Pittman will be on our list a few times as the company understands how to make a high-quality truck mattress. Take its Pittman Outdoors AirBedz Realtree Camo Mattress, for instance. The mattress fits over wheel wells without an issue due to its cleverly designed construction. It fits the entire truck bed as well, and turns it into a compact bedroom.
The PP1 402 model, like its siblings, is comfortable, springy, and easy to set up. It includes an easy-to-use battery that automatically fills the air mattress in a few minutes so you don’t have to blow it up yourself. The premium quality mattress also features a unique camo pattern that makes it more fun since you’re out camping in the wilderness. It is able to hold a few hundred pounds as well, so you can sleep a few people on it.
One of the not-so-great features of the mattress is its price. You will be paying partly for the Pittman name, as it is one of the best-known manufacturers of truck mattresses. The battery won’t shut off by itself, so you will have to monitor it while it inflates the bed. It also may not be designed to fit wider truck beds.
The OLIVIA & AIDEN Inflatable Car Air Mattress is an inexpensive bed for your truck. It is a universal and portable mattress that can be used in a number of different vehicles for added convenience. Its unique design makes it perfect for fitting in the back seat of any vehicle so you can get comfortable and sleep while traveling.
One of the most interesting aspects of the mattress is its appearance. It is built with two large supports that act as legs so it is properly balanced while hanging off of the rear seats. Its ergonomic design makes it conform to your body for a more comfortable sleep. It also includes two pillows and padded protection so you don’t accidentally fall into the front seats.
There may be some compatibility issues when fitting it in certain vehicles. There have also been complaints that the mattress can leak air. The pillows aren’t the most durable either and may not be the most comfortable to lay your head on. It may also require two people to set up as it can be quite cumbersome to get into the vehicle.
The Onirii Inflatable Car Air Mattress bed is designed to be lightweight, easy to set up, and universal. It is an air mattress that can even be folded up to carry around from car to car or from the vehicle to the campsite. It is meant to be used in the rear seats of a vehicle but can be conformed to fit into a truck bed as well.
If you use it in the back seats, two legs can be added to better stabilize the mattress while you sleep. It also comes with two pillows and a protective shield that fits between the two front seats. It offers great support for your spine and your back in general. It is also rather lightweight, therefore, making it easier to move around.
There are a few vehicles that this mattress is not designed to fit on and that may include a few smaller trucks, too. This also comes into play with trucks that do not have rear seats, though it can still be used in truck beds. The mattress may not be able to sleep two people comfortably as it is on the smaller size.
Before you start thinking the Milliard Tri Folding Memory Foam Mattress isn’t designed for a truck bed, think again. It’s rather similar to that of a bed mattress but can be used for your car, truck, or SUV. The one main difference between this mattress and one for your bed at home is its weight. It isn’t overly heavy and can easily be moved around.
The mattress is made out of a combination of polyester and viscose, so it is comfortable and soft. One other thing that makes this mattress stand out as a truck bed sleeper is its ability to be folded up. Once you’re done using it, you can easily fold it away and drive off, freeing up the rest of your truck bed for other things.
The mattress is pricey and only sleeps a single person. If you need a bed that sleeps two, you will want to buy a second and push them close together. It may also ship with an unpleasant chemical smell that should go away with time. Another issue is it may conform too much to your body and leave indents where you sleep.
- Most truck mattresses are designed to fit a specific truck bed length. Make sure you measure both the length and width of your truck bed before ordering.
- Not all truck mattresses are built the same. Some are made with inferior materials that may weaken and crack in colder temperatures.
- Lying directly on a plastic mattress can cause you to sweat when it’s hot. Consider a mattress with breathable flocking on top.
Q: Do truck mattresses inflate and deflate quickly?
A: Yes. Newer truck air mattresses have new valve designs that make for faster inflation and deflation times as well as an improved seal over previous models.
Q: Can I use a truck mattress in my SUV?
A: Yes. Truck mattresses can be used in truck beds, the backs of SUVs, and vans. You can even use them on the beach or at the park.
Q: Will a truck bed air mattress work with my bed tent if it has a built-in floor?
A: Yes. A truck bed air mattress works great with bed tents, even those with built-in floors. You can also use it with a camper shell.
Our best overall truck mattress is the Pittman Outdoors AirBedz Original Truck Bed Air Mattress. It fits snugly between the truck bed wheel wells, sleeps two adults, and inflates quickly.
Our best value pick, the WEY&FLY SUV Air Mattress, has a thick flock coating for extra comfort.