Best Tactical Flashlights: Bright Lights for Home and Protection
Shine a light in the darkness with these sturdy and bright tactical flashlights
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
A flashlight is by far one of the most useful tools you can have. Yes, you can use your smartphone, but it is not as versatile as a tactical flashlight. Tactical flashlights are compact, lightweight, and extremely bright. You can even use them to defend yourself by blinding a would-be assailant. Below are the best tactical flashlights available.
A sturdy and highly shock-resistant tac light with a bright LED light and long-lasting life of 50,000 hours and 750 lumens.
The flashlight is equipped with three different light modes: high, low, and strobe. It’s waterproof and includes a nylon holster.
Enabling the different modes can be a hassle, and the finish can rub off if scraped or scuffed.
Hausbell provides two tactical flashlights for the price of one. Each flashlight has a weather-resistant design, three adjustable light modes, and can illuminate a distance of up to 650 feet.
It’s compact enough to fit in your pocket. Water- and shock-resistant. Fully adjustable focus. Five times sturdier than most handheld flashlights. Rugged, non-slip construction.
Batteries not included. Non-rechargeable flashlight. Has only one button for controlling the light modes.
An easy-to-carry, powerful, and compact LED tactical flashlight with a military-grade aluminum anti-slip grip weighing just more than five ounces with 1,000 lumens.
The light is able to focus up to 1,000 feet away, and it comes with five adjustable modes: high, medium, low, strobe, and wide-to-narrow beam. It is tough enough to take a 10-foot drop and be submerged in water.
Switching to different modes is a process. You have to press the button a few times. And it may not actually be 1,000 lumens.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Tactical Flashlights
- Emergencies. The electricity at your home or workplace can go off unexpectedly. A flashlight will help you see your way in the dark. Flashlights also come in handy during floods or fires as a signaling device.
- Self-defense. The majority of tactical flashlights are designed to help during combat situations. They provide bright light that can blind your assailant temporarily. They are also sturdy and hard to provide strong impacts on your attacker’s face.
- Find items in the dark. Probably the most basic reason for owning a flashlight is to provide light in dark areas. They're helpful when you're looking for your car at night or searching for fallen items in hidden areas.
Types of Tactical Flashlight
As the name suggests, headlamps are tactical flashlights that are worn on the head, allowing the user’s hands to be free to do other activities. Headlamps are best suited for camping and hiking, since the user can use their hands to hold onto steep slopes or put together a camping site. They are also comparably easier to use in restrooms than handheld lights for obvious reasons. However, you should avoid headlamps if you need a light for self-defense purposes.
These flashlights are what many people think of when they talk about flashlights. Handheld flashlights are small, compact, and portable. Shooters and hunters who need clear illumination of their targets commonly use them. Apart from providing strong, blinding illumination, they can also be used as weapons.
Weapon flashlights are designed to be mounted to a pistol, long gun, or any other weapons commonly used by law enforcement officers. They help users easily identify their targets, thanks to their strong illumination. Weapon flashlights can be mounted either on weaver rails or on Picatinny rails. When placed in the correct position, weapon flashlights form an important part of combat.
Fenix is an American company based in Littleton, Colo. The company manufactures unique flashlights with close attention to quality assurance. Unlike most companies, Fenix oversees the production of every part and performance of its flashlights. The company uses advanced technology and state-of-the-art materials to manufacture flashlights that are super bright, long-lasting, and weatherproof. The Fenix PD35 V2.0 1000 Lumen Tactical Flashlight and Fenix TK26R LED Flashlight are some of the top products from this company.
Gearlight is another top flashlight company based in Southern California, with team members across various U.S. states and other countries. The company provides dependable, affordable, and high-quality tactical flashlights with utmost innovation. Apart from tactical flashlights, Gearlight also manufactures headlamps, camping lanterns, safety lights, and more. Some of the best products you can source from Gearlight include the Gearlight S1000 LED Tactical Flashlight, and Gearlight S2000 LED Tactical Flashlight.
If you are searching for tactical flashlights focused on advanced weaponry, products from Streamlight should be at the top of your list. The company is based in the United States and has been in operation since 1973. They are known for manufacturing durable, reliable, and high-quality tactical flashlights. Some of its best products including the Streamlight 88040 ProTac Professional Tactical Flashlight and Streamlight 88054 ProTac HL USB 1000 Lumen Professional Tactical Flashlight.
J5 is another top tactical flashlight manufacturer that is based in Utah. The company has established affiliations with Toyota and Joe Gibbs Racing, which points to its level of quality. It manufactures various tactical flashlights with a high-end finish. It also commits to exceptional innovations. Some of the company’s best products include the J5 Tactical V1-PRO Flashlight.
Best Tactical Flashlight Pricing
- Under $40: They are average quality flashlights. However, most have cheap disposable AAA batteries, while others come with a lithium-ion battery and a USB charger. Flashlights available in this price range are not so durable but they are effective and some boast features such as impact resistivity and weatherproof capabilities. They are functional and considerably affordable at this price range.
- $40 and up: These are tactical flashlights from big manufacturers. They are durable, with enhanced brightness and long-lasting batteries. They are often shockproof, impact-resistant, and waterproof. They are mostly made of quality materials such as aluminum alloys and steel. These lights are suitable for weapon mounting and self-defense and have high light outputs.
There are several factors to look into when evaluating the light output of your tactical flashlight. You should consider the light intensity and beam patterns. The amount of light output from a flashlight is measured in lumens. That said, you should find a flashlight with the highest lumen count, depending on your intended use. If you want a flashlight for basic home use, this might not be your primary consideration. However, if you are looking for a weapon flashlight, ensure that you choose a flashlight with an above-average light output.
The run time of any tactical flashlight is self-explanatory. Rechargeable flashlights with long run times are preferred over those with short run times. Note that that source of a flashlight’s power is the primary determining power of the run time. Lithium-ion battery flashlights, for instance, will last longer than AA or AAA disposable alkaline batteries. Also, the power consumption of the flashlight determines the brightness levels and run time. Therefore, the brighter the flashlight, the shorter the run time.
The best tactical flashlight should provide sufficient illumination to view your surroundings at night or in the dark. To achieve this, flashlights work in the same way as the moon. The beam distance describes the distance, in meters, at which the intensity of the flashlight’s beam reaches 0.25 lux. This is the estimated amount of light given off by a full moon during a clear night.
Peak Beam Intensity
Peak beam intensity is measured in candela, which describes the brightest point of the light beam. As we previously mentioned, the lumen measures the amount of light coming out of the flashlight. On the other hand, candela measures the brightest point of the beam. The best light has the highest candela.
If you are planning to take your flashlight hiking and camping, expect some accidental falls. Avoid flashlights that will tear apart after one fall. Impact resistance is the distance or height from which the flashlight can be dropped into concrete without being damaged. The flashlight should also not break or crack if dropped from this distance. That’s why a flashlight with an aluminum body is the best.
There are three levels of water resistance in tactical flashlights. They include:
- IPX4. Flashlights with this rating can perform under splashing water.
- IPX7. Flashlights rated under this level can perform under 1 meter deep water for 30 minutes.
- IPX8. Flashlights with IPX8 rating can perform when submerged deeper than 1 meter for more than four hours.
Ensure you buy a flashlight that is water-resistant, especially if you are planning to use it on outdoor activities.
- Size: The size of the flashlight significantly depends on its intended use. There are five different size classifications of tactical flashlights. They include micro flashlights, mini flashlights, small flashlights, medium flashlights, and large flashlights.
- Power Source: Tactical flashlights can source their power from disposable alkaline batteries, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, rechargeable cells, or integrated rechargeable packs.
Best Tactical Flashlight Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Be careful if you leave your flashlight in your pocket with other items. These items may turn the light on and off and wear down the battery while you walk.
- The casing around the tactical light can get warm if the light is left on for an extended amount of time. Be sure to turn it off when not using it, or wear gloves if you have sensitive hands. It should never get too hot, however.
- The strobe setting is used mainly to alert people of your position. If you are lost or need to signal someone else, use this mode to find your way.
Q: Are all tactical flashlights water-resistant?
A: The majority of tac lights should be water-resistant as they are designed to be used outdoors. However, this does not mean they should be submerged in water. A large amount of water can damage or ruin the batteries and the light. Using them in the rain or snow should be fine.
Q: Can I attach a tactical light to my bike?
A: You may be able to find a special mount to attach a tactical flashlight onto your bike frame. You need to keep in mind the size and weight of the light before attaching it.
Q: What is a lumen?
A: A lumen is the measurement of the amount of light emitted per second by the flashlight. The more lumens means the more powerful the light will be. The batteries may run out more quickly on flashlights with more lumens.
Q: What types of batteries do tactical flashlights use?
A: Tactical flashlights typically run off of AA, 18650 lithium, or 14500 batteries. They can also run on rechargeable batteries to save money.
For one of the most powerful LED tactical flashlights, consider the Streamlight ProTac Lumen Professional Tactical Flashlight.
Or save some cash and check out the HAUSBELL Tactical Flashlights.