Best Scooter Helmets: Safety Starts with Your Head
These top scooter helmets will keep you safe while riding
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON November 7, 2019
If you ride a scooter, one of the safest things you can do is to wear a helmet. There are many choices and styles, so you can easily find one to suit your needs, but the main consideration when choosing a helmet is to make sure that it fits correctly. These top helmets will keep you safe on your scooter.
- Best OverallTriple Eight Dual Certified HelmetSummarySummaryThese well-made helmets comply with U.S. CPSC Bike and ASTM F-1492 skate safety standards.ProsProsThis helmet includes two sets of removable, moisture-wicking sweat saver fit pads. This will help you customize your fit. The adjustable chin strap has a side release buckle.ConsConsThe combined sizes may make it hard to find a good fit. Also, it may run small.
- Best ValueJBM Skateboard HelmetSummarySummaryThis helmet is designed with an anti-shock function. It’s made to protect your head from direct impact in the event of a fall.ProsProsWith an aerodynamic design, this helmet will allow air to flow through the vents to keep you cool. It has an adjustable strap and side buckle.ConsConsSome people have a hard time adjusting the strap to fit correctly. This helmet also runs small.
- Honorable MentionThousand Adult Anti-Theft Guarantee Bike HelmetSummarySummaryThis lightweight helmet is built to meet CPSC and EN1078 standards. It has a shorter profile than other helmets.ProsProsWith two sets of pads, you can ensure that the helmet will fit securely. The helmet rides above your ears to help keep your head cool. It also comes with a secret pop lock to protect against theft.ConsConsThis helmet does not cover your ears completely. Also, the strap is thin.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Find a helmet that will fit securely on your head and be comfortable at the same time. Some have adjustable straps for a secure fit or removable pads that can be adjusted for a more comfortable fit.
- Most manufacturers recommend that you replace your helmet every five years. If you ever hit the ground with your helmet (even before it’s five years old), replace it.
- All helmets need to be DOT certified by the Department of Transportation. This means that the manufacturer needs to meet that helmet safety standard before it can legally sell helmets. Look for the DOT symbol on the helmet.
Q: How do I know what size scooter helmet to buy?
A: Start by measuring the circumference of your head. Use that measurement as a guide and compare it to the product sizing chart.
Q: Is a scooter helmet safe?
A: You want a DOT-certified helmet for maximum safety. This certification informs the buyer that all minimum safety requirements have been met.
Q: What are the top things to look for when buying a scooter helmet?
A: You want a helmet that fits snugly but is not too tight. Also, a helmet with holes will provide ventilation while riding on hot days.
Our pick for the best scooter helmet is the Triple Eight Dual Certified Helmet. The ability to easily adjust the padding and strap for a good fit can help you focus on riding and not on your helmet.
For a more budget-friendly option, consider the JBM Skateboard Helmet.