Best ATV Covers: Protect Your Ride from the Elements
These top ATV covers will keep your ATV protected and in great condition
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 28, 2019
Whether you store your ATV inside or outside, it should be protected harmful conditions such as bad weather, animals, and dust. A cover can prevent expensive repair costs that arise from leaving an ATV exposed to the elements. This buying guide includes three of the best ATV covers on the market.
- Best OverallColeman MadDog GearAll Weather ProtectionSummarySummary
This durable ATV cover provides adequate protection against rain and the sun’s UV rays. It is ideal for all weather conditions.ProsPros
The Mad Dog is big and can fit most ATVs. It has an elastic bottom to ensure a tight fit and also comes with a storage bag.ConsCons
This cover easily succumbs to the weather. It is known to fade relatively quickly and wears thin in adverse weather conditions.
- Best ValueWaterproof ATV Cover Universal FitSummarySummary
This universal ATV cover comes in a number of sizes and is made from a high-density material that is abrasion-resistant.ProsPros
The material is heat-reflective, UV-resistant, and waterproof. It comes with a carry bag.ConsCons
It doesn’t fit some ATVs. Sometimes even when it does fit the fit isn’t secure, and it can blow away.
- Honorable MentionPilot Automotive CC-6224 Camouflage ATV CoverSummarySummary
This ATV cover comes at a budget-friendly price. The camouflage design helps it blend in with the outdoors and it provides good basic protection for an ATV.ProsPros
It is lightweight, and the elastic seams ensure a tight fit. The seams are double-stitched for added durability, and it comes with a storage bag.ConsCons
This cover isn’t meant for extreme weather and is more suited for light use. There have also been concerns about its long-term durability.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of ATV Covers
- Rain protection. ATV covers are waterproof to provide adequate protection against rain and other elements, such as wind. The best ATV covers are breathable to prevent moisture and the development of mildew.
- UV protection. Most ATV covers are UV-resistant to protect against the harmful rays of the sun. These covers have a special layer to reflect the harmful rays of the sun and keep the chrome, paint, and other finishes on your ATV looking new.
- Keeps your ATV clean. Good-quality ATV covers successfully protect the vehicle from pollen, dust, and mildew. They prevent scratching and allow moisture to escape to prevent fading and cracking of the paint.
Types of ATV covers
Indoor ATV covers only provide basic protection from dust, debris, and moisture. They are a little thinner in their construction because they are not UV-resistant. The covers are light enough to allow adequate flow of air but also keep dust and other elements such as pollen away from the ATV. Sufficient airflow prevents moisture build-up, thus preventing mildew, rust, and mold from forming.
Outdoor ATV covers are sufficiently waterproof and provide UV protection at a minimum. The reflective layer keeps out the harmful rays of the sun to prevent fading and cracking of the finish on your vehicle. These ATV covers are thicker than their indoor counterparts to provide adequate insulation against heat and cold.
Oxgord is a specialist in home products and automotive accessories. Oxgord, founded in 2011, is a privately held company, and its headquarters are in Carson, California. They make a wide variety of ATV covers, both indoor and outdoor, such as the OxGord Signature ATV Cover.
This outdoor recreation products brand is a subsidiary of Newell Brands. Coleman Company, the manufacturer of the Coleman MadDog GearAll Weather Protection ATV Cover, has its headquarters in Chicago and facilities spread out in Texas, Kansas, and Wichita. William Coffin Coleman, the company's founder, started off by selling gasoline pressure lamps in 1900.
Established in 1996, Pilot Automotive has established itself as a major auto distributor and supplier of truck and car accessories, import performance parts, lighting products, and more. Its products include the Pilot Automotive CC-6211 Green ATV Cover. The company was initially created for the DIY market. Pilot Automotive is in California.
ATV Covers Pricing
- Under $30: ATV covers in this price range provide basic protection against UV rays and every other kind of weather. Most of them have double-stitched and reinforced seams, and the material is durable.
- $30-$80: Water-resistance, easy installation, breathability, and a soft backing to prevent scratching are the main features for a storage cover in this price range. They are versatile and may be lockable to prevent theft.
- Over $80: The ATV covers in this category are mostly large in size. A heavy-duty ATV cover will shelter your ATV against abrasion and the elements, including rain, wind, and snow. They also keep other nuisances such as pollen, dust, dirt, birds, and mildew away from your ATV. Additional premium features may include night reflectivity, an extended warranty (such as a 3-year warranty), and taped seams.
At a bare minimum, you should expect ATV covers to protect against water. Ideally, the cover should be breathable and have small air vents to allow the free flow of moisture into and out of the cover and prevent mildew and mold. This also applies to indoor ATV covers, as a mid-winter roof leak could occur, and it is always good to be on the safe side.
You want something that is going to cover the entire ATV to provide the necessary protection. An oversized ATV cover is not any good as it will allow moisture to seep through, potentially damaging some parts of the ATV. The ATV cover should secure firmly with straps and elastic hems.
UV protection is a common feature in outdoor ATV covers. The weather-resistant ATV cover will mostly feature a reflective layer to redirect most of the heat and harmful rays of the sun. Some people overlook the potential damage that UV light can have on an ATV. If your ATV is stored mostly outdoors, make sure the cover has adequate protection against the sun’s potentially damaging rays.
The primary goal of a high-quality ATV cover is to protect it against the elements for several years. While most of the covers have heavy-duty materials and components, some of them do not, and they don’t last very long. Check for double-stitching to enhance durability. The additional seam prevents fraying and disintegration of the ATV cover over time.
- Elastic Hems, Straps, and Buckles: These three components will help secure the ATV cover appropriately. And while straps and buckles will provide the most secure closures, elastic hems and velcro are quicker and easier to use. Some ATV covers will also come with zipper closures in addition to velcro for more convenience.
- Storage Bag: A separate bag to store your heavy-duty ATV cover when not in use is a must-have. The pack increases the lifespan of the protective cover by protecting it from the elements and abuse when not in use. A good-quality storage bag also makes it easier to track and stow your ATV cover.
Best ATV Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2019
Best Overall: Coleman MadDog GearAll Weather Protection ATV Cover
The best ATV cover is the Coleman MadDog ATV Cover, which boasts a variety of features that elevate it above the rest. The four-wheeler cover is an all-weather unit that you can rely on to provide adequate protection for your ATV. This means it has built-in UV protection and it is waterproof to keep water and moisture from your vehicle.
The elastic bottom provides a snug fit to prevent moisture from seeping in and accumulating in different parts of the vehicle. An additional strap along the bottom provides a secure closure to withstand windstorms. A convenient storage bag where you can store the cover and prolong its life span is available. The pack also makes it easier to transport and keep track of the cover.
Even though the ATV cover is highly dependable, you may find yourself looking for a replacement after a few years. This is especially true if you use it quite often. The cover is also known to fade quickly and may not hold up in adverse weather conditions.
Best Value: OxGord Signature ATV Cover
With six layers of breathable, water-resistant, and durable polyester, this ATV cover provides basic protection against the elements. It will keep away rain, wind, sand, foliage, and other things that may be harmful to the finish on your ATV.
The cover is breathable, allowing moisture to flow in and out freely and preventing the development of mold and mildew. The polyester cover is durable, and you can use it for a good amount of time. Additionally, it features a reflective finish to redirect the harmful sun rays from your ATV to keep the chrome, paint, and other finishes in good condition. You will also find the pull strings and elastic hems to be quite useful in keeping the ATV cover in place. It cannot be easily blown away.
On the downside, this ATV cover may not hold up against extreme weather conditions. The stitching seems a bit too flimsy and thin to overcome the abuse associated with inclement weather and frequent use.
Honorable Mention: Pilot Automotive CC-6224 Camouflage ATV Cover
This camouflage ATV cover blends exceptionally well with its surroundings to add an aesthetic appeal. This ATV cover comes at a reasonable price and provides excellent basic protection for your vehicle.
The lightweight unit has elastic seams for a quick and snug fit to prevent it from blowing away in wind storms. The cover sufficiently keeps the snow and rain from your vehicle. It has double-stitched and durable seams that can take the abuse associated with frequent use. The ATV cover also folds flat for quick and easy storage in the convenient storage bag, which only weighs 2.7 pounds. It is lightweight and easy to stow, and the storage bag is included with the cover.
The cover is mostly suited for light use and may not withstand extreme weather or the abuse associated with everyday use. As a result, there have been several concerns regarding its durability. You may consider using it mostly indoors, as opposed to outdoors.
- Softer materials like cotton don’t scratch an ATV, but nylon and other hard materials can cause issues. It’s worth checking the material and getting one with a non-scratch inner lining.
- Covers with buckles and straps have a more secure fit but can be cumbersome to fit and remove. Covers with elastic hems are less secure but easier to fit and remove.
- When storing an ATV outside, it should have adequate protection from the elements. Waterproof covers with UV protection are recommended and can also be used indoors if necessary.
Q: What’s the difference between indoor and outdoor covers?
A: Indoor covers are normally made from cotton or nylon and are soft to prevent scratching. They normally protect against dust and moisture. Outdoor covers are normally made from canvas, PVC, or a similar material. They often offer weather protection, especially against rain and UV rays.
Q: How long will an ATV cover last?
A: It depends on many factors, such as its exposure to harsh environments and storage conditions. Top-quality covers should have a lifespan of at least several years, with the average lifespan being around five years.
Q: How do I know if an ATV cover will fit correctly?
A: ATV covers come in a number of sizes, so you should accurately measure your vehicle and compare it to the desired cover. Most manufacturers also have charts to match the ATV with the correct cover size.
Our pick for the best ATV cover is the Coleman MadDog GearAll Weather Protection ATV Cover. It’s made with thick, heavy-duty material and is suitable for all weather conditions.
For a more budget-friendly option try the Waterproof ATV Cover Universal Fit.