Best Canopy Tents: Protect Yourself From the Weather
Stay protected from sunny or rainy weather with these canopy tents
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON December 6, 2019
The best thing about having a canopy tent is you can use it for just about anything. It makes a great shed for your car and can protect your family while camping and during outdoor events. Our buying guide highlights some of the best canopy tent cover options that you can use for a variety of activities.
- Best OverallEurmax Premium Canopy TentSummarySummaryA 10 x 10-foot canopy tent that provides maximum head coverage for outdoor and commercial events.ProsProsMade of heavy-duty fabric. UV-resistant and waterproof. Rust-resistant frames. It can be adjusted to three different height positions. Multiple color options. Easy to set up and takedown. Lightweight and portable. It comes with a convenient wheeled carry bag.ConsConsIt pulls water in on a rainy day. Has no sidewall covering. The cover may get ripped in strong winds.
- Best ValueABCCANOPY Canopy TentSummarySummaryA 10 x 10-foot pop-up canopy tent with four sandbags that provide extra stability in windy weather.ProsPros100 percent UV protected. Water-resistant. Rust- and corrosion-resistant steel frames. It comes with four ropes and stakes for stability in strong winds. Easy pinch-free set up. It comes with a convenient roller bag. Available in a variety of colors.ConsConsNo sidewall covering. The tent cover rips easily. The frames may snap in a windstorm.
- Honorable MentionEurmax Canopy TentSummarySummaryA 10 x 10-foot pop-up canopy tent with four removable sidewalls and an extended awning.ProsProsStylish powder-coated finish. Rust resistant. Features waterproof seams. Made of fire retardant material. UV protected. Available in multiple colors. Large enough for outdoor events. Easy to assemble and takedown. It comes with a convenient canopy roller bag.ConsConsIt collects water on a rainy day. The frames may bend or twist in strong winds. Expensive.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Takedown your canopy tent when you are done using it to prolong its service life. Do not make it a permanent outdoor structure unless you are using it as a car garage.
- Clear pooling water on the roof of the tent with a mop. Do not let it pool for more than a day or it will stretch out and weaken the fabric.
- Air-dry the tent before you fold it to prevent the formation of mold and mildew. Also, clean dirt from the fabric with a soft wet cloth before storing it. If dirt is transferred to the folds, it may destroy the fabric.
- Avoid leaning furniture or heavy objects against the tent poles. They may bend, twist, or break against the intense weight.
Q: What’s the best way to anchor a pop-up canopy tent?
A: Pop-up canopy tents are typically lightweight and can easily be blown away by strong winds. Use sand or pebble bags to stabilize the tent and to prevent the frames from being broken by strong winds. Attach a sandbag on each frame for maximum support. A sandbag is better for stabilizing the tent on gravel, stone pavement, or concrete driveway.
Q: Can I grill under a canopy tent?
A: Some tents are made of synthetic fibers like vinyl that can burn under the intense heat of a grill or a barbecue. If the tent is made of fire-retardant material, you still run the risk of staining it with soot, and it will be hard to get the grill smell from the fabric. Try to cook in an open area and eat under the tent.
Q: Is it possible to waterproof a tent?
A: Yes. Seal the seams with a seam sealer to prevent water from leaking in. You can also use duct tape, although it may look ugly if not done neatly. You can also apply a waterproof urethane coating, tent wax, or a different sealer for the type of fabric your tent is made of.
Our top pick for the best canopy tent is the Eurmax Premium Canopy Tent. You don’t need any tools to erect it and the fabric is waterproof.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly canopy tent for outdoor activities, consider the ABCCANOPY Canopy Tent.