Best Bike Trailers: Carry Kids and Cargo on the Go
These top bike trailers are comfortable, functional, and easy to install
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Bike trailers are highly useful. There are bicycle trailers for kids, pets, and even cargo. If you like to ride around on your bicycle, a bike trailer is a must-have accessory. It increases a bike’s capacity, making it more than a bike. If you want a bike trailer for your child or pet, choose one of the options in our buying guide below.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Bike Trailer
- Convenience. A bike trailer allows you to haul or carry extra gear, kids, or pets while you ride. If you’re someone who enjoys biking but have kids, you can use a bike trailer to take them along with you. If you have a cat or dog that you don’t feel comfortable leaving at home, you can give them a comfortable place to ride along and see new sights.
- Increased carrying capacity. If you ride your bike to work or across town to pick up groceries, a bike trailer lets you carry more gear. You have a place to haul bags of groceries and other items without having to worry about them while you ride.
- Comfort. If you want to take your kids outside without having to constantly keep track of them, a bike trailer is a great way to spend some time outdoors. Your kids can ride in style and comfort while you get some exercise. The soothing ride can also put them to sleep so you have a few moments of peace and quiet.
Types of Bike Trailer
Multi-Sport Bike Trailer
A multi-sport bike trailer can be used in a number of different ways. You can attach one to the back of your bike or use it while you jog or walk as well. They are typically larger and roomier. This also makes them more difficult to pack or store away in a garage or when they are not in use. They are simple to convert quickly to either form so you can go from one activity to another.
Standard Bike Trailer
A standard bike trailer is one that does exactly what it says. It acts as a trailer for your bike and is great for carrying children, pets, and equipment. Larger ones are called double bicycle trailers and can hold two or more kids. They do not have the luxury of transforming into a stroller but are comfortable and convenient all the same. A standard bike trailer may also come with a pedal-along feature that allows your child to work out along with you.
The company was founded in 1895 in Chicago, Illinois. It is one of the most well-known bike manufacturers in the world and designs equipment, gear, and accessories like bike seats. Whether it’s mountain bikes, hybrids, road bikes, kids bikes, or cruisers, Schwinn understands a good-quality bike. One of its best bike trailers is the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer.
Allen Sports USA
Allen Sports is a popular name among outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy biking, running, or hiking. The company is based in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, but has other facilities across the United States and overseas. For one of the best bike trailers, consider the Allen Sports T-1B Bike Trailer, our best value choice.
With a headquarters in Olney, Illinois, Instep creates and manufactures walkers and jogging strollers for parents and kids. Along with normal everyday strollers, the company is also known for making bike trailers designed to carry your child safely. You will find that our best choice, the In-Step 2-in-1 Canopy Bike Trailer, is one of its most popular products.
Bike Trailer Pricing
- Under $100: You can find a reliable and comfortable bike trailer for at or just under $100. However, they may be on the smaller side, which means they won’t be able to carry a lot of extra weight. These are best for single riders or parents with younger children.
- Over $100: It is in this price range you will find larger and more robust bike trailers. They will feature a higher carrying capacity, have more room inside, and come with more comfortable padding. Their wheels may be larger and capable of handling more difficult off-road terrain as well.
Knowing the dimensions of the bike trailer you are looking for will help you make your final choice. If you have one kid, then you don’t need a wide trailer with room for two or more kids. If you haul groceries or have several kids, you may want to consider a double trailer that has multiple seats and seatbelts.
You need to be sure your kids or pets are kept safe and secure in the bike trailer during your bike ride. Trailers come with vital safety features that include safety harnesses or belts to hold your kid, pet, or gear in place. Having reflectors is something you should always consider if you ride in low-lit conditions or at night. A safety flag will help other drivers see you before you crest a hill.
This isn’t about how much room the bike trailer has inside, but rather how it will fit inside your garage. Having a bike trailer that folds up neatly, easily, and quickly is important. They can be quite large and take up a lot of space in your home or garage when you are not using them. On the other hand, you can fold some up to fit in your vehicle’s trunk so you can bike anywhere.
- Wheel Size. Larger and beefier wheels and tires are great for bikers who ride over difficult and uneven ground. The ride will also be more comfortable, and the tires can reduce shock so your baby or pet isn’t jostled around inside the trailer.
- Attachment. You should research how the bike trailer attaches to your bike before you make your final decision. They typically come with either a quick release or a thru-axle type attachment. The thru-axle attaches to the bike's back or front wheel, while the quick-release can attach directly to the frame.
Best Bike Trailer Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- When choosing a bike trailer, consider the cabin size. It should be spacious enough to accommodate your child, pet, or any cargo you are planning to tow. If you're using it for riding with children, pick the number of seats (one or two).
- Consider the bike trailer's capacity limit. Make sure that it can carry all the supplies you have. You need one with a higher capacity if you're planning to ride with your child and a lot of other items.
- Look for the extra features that provide more safety, especially if you're planning to ride with a child. In addition to a proper harness system, look for bright colors for more visibility and weather protection for dealing with rain, sun, and other elements you may encounter.
- Check whether all parts of a trailer are user friendly. For example, check how it attaches to the bike and whether it's convenient for storage. It's also important to know whether you can fold and adjust the handlebars, wheels, and other parts for more comfort and ease of use.
Q: What are the most common types of bike trailers?
A: There are two main types of bike trailers. The first and most popular one is the carriage style trailer, which connects to the back of the bike. It can also transform into a stroller or jogger. The second type is a small bike that allows older children to get used to cycling before riding bikes independently.
Q: Is a bike trailer safe for children?
A: Yes, bike trailers are designed to provide maximum safety when cycling. They are stable and secure and almost impossible to tip over. If that occurs, however, there are safety belts for more protection. Some trailers even have an improved harness system. Still, you should be extra careful when riding with a child.
Q: How do I store a bike trailer?
A: Most newly produced bike trailers have a collapsible design that allows for easy transportation and storage. All you need to do is to fold the frame and detach the wheels, and you're ready to go. You can take a bike trailer wherever you go and store it easily as it doesn’t take up too much space.
A: Bike trailers for one kid can carry up to 50 pounds. Two-seat trailers usually have a capacity of 100 pounds. You also need to consider the weight of luggage as it will affect the trailer’s function.
Our top pick is Schwinn Trailblazer Single Bike. It’s a good-quality trailer from a reliable company.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive alternative, the Allen Sports Child Trailer might be just the right thing.