Best 4-Person Tents: Create Your Personal Home Outdoors
Get one of these four-person tents for a great outdoor experience
TheDrive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Camping is one of the most exciting activities you can enjoy with family and friends. If you go camping regularly, renting a tent doesn't make financial sense. You should buy your own tent and save money. You’ll also have the freedom to reconnect with nature any time you please. If you’re looking for a four-person tent that’s built to last, consider one of the tents in our buying guide.
- Best OverallKelty Salida Camping and Backpacking TentSummarySummaryThis four-person tent is surprisingly lightweight. It covers approximately 55 square feet, and over 10 square feet make up the vestibule area. The tent has an easy entry D door and internal storage pockets.ProsProsThe fabric mesh walls offer privacy but also keep the interior adequately and naturally illuminated. The tent is waterproof due to its 68D Nylon floor fabric. The rainfly does a great job of protecting you against light rain.ConsConsThe pole tips are made of plastic, and the tent may suddenly collapse. The interior can get stuffy in hot, humid weather, especially if all access areas are closed.
- Best ValueColeman 4-Person Pop-Up TentSummarySummaryThis is a great choice if you want a tent that is easy to set up and pack. It has two interior pockets where you can store essential items such as camping lanterns. It is also lightweight and portable.ProsProsThe taped floor seams keep the interior dry even on wet ground. To enhance weather resistance, the needle holes are hidden inside the tent. You can change the position of the rainfly to suit your ventilation needs.ConsConsIf you have a lot of bags, it might feel cramped for a party of four. The floor material is a bit thin and not suitable for sharp, rocky terrain. The zipper slider is flimsy and tends to come apart.
- Best ValueEureka Copper Canyon 4-Person TentSummarySummaryThis tent is seven feet tall and will help you make the most of your camping trip. It features a useful E! Power Port that lets you use an outdoor power cord to keep some of your gadgets powered up.ProsProsIts frame is made from steel and fiberglass to withstand mild winds and rain. It features two spacious mesh pockets for your basic essentials. It also has overhead storage to keep your necessities within reach. The almost-vertical walls make it ideal for cots and airbeds.ConsConsThe rainfly is too close to the tent, making it a nuisance in case of heavy rain. The tent has a thin floor and may require an additional tarp to make it more comfortable. It may also be difficult to put together.
- When you buy a new tent, test it at home to see if everything is intact before heading out. This also helps you to understand how to set up and dismantle the tent.
- Never pack the tent if it’s too wet. You can do it in case of an emergency, but you need to air it out as soon as possible to prevent mold if you plan on storing it for a long time.
- When you’re buying a tent, buy a slightly bigger size to make sure there’s enough room for everyone and your gear. For example, a six-person tent would be great for four people.
Q: How do I clean a tent?
A: If your tent isn’t too dirty and you want to quickly clean it, use mild soapy water. Hosing it down also works. We recommend that you wash your tent by hand and dry it on a clothesline.
Q: What’s the standard setup time for a four-person tent?
A: Experienced campers can set up a four-person tent in less than five minutes. However, even if you are not well versed in tent pitching, it only takes about 15 minutes to set up a four-person tent.
Q: Can I fix a ripped section of a tent?
A: Accidental rips in tents are fairly common. Depending on the extent of the damage, fixing a tear may require a self-adhesive patch, seam sealant, or duct tape (for minor rips).
We recommend the Kelty Salida Camping and Backpacking Tent for its lightness and versatility. However, if you want a cost-saving option you can use for three seasons out of the year, the Coleman 4-Person Pop-Up Tent is a great buy.