Best Camping Chairs: Don’t Sacrifice Comfort in the Great Outdoors
Stop sitting on that log and upgrade your outdoor experience with these camping chairs
TheDrive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Who doesn’t love spending time roughing it outdoors? But becoming one with nature doesn’t mean that you can’t have a few amenities, such as a comfy chair to relax in. If sitting on the ground doesn’t appeal to you, you’ll need a camping chair that is sturdy enough to stand up to the elements and strong enough to support your weight without being uncomfortable. We’ve done the research, and these are the top camping chairs on the market.
- Best OverallALPS Mountaineering King Kong ChairSummarySummaryA premium inward-folding chair with cushioned seating for a more comfortable experience. Ample storage and a convenient carrying tote make this chair a smart buy.ProsProsYou’ll enjoy the lightweight portability of this chair, and yet it’s rated to hold up to 800 pounds in weight. This chair is designed for rugged conditions and fits perfectly both at a campsite or in your backyard.ConsConsTall campers might take issue with this chair, which can be a little uncomfortable for people over six feet tall. The seat is a little low and may require some tweaking to accommodate tall people.
- Best ValueColeman Portable Camping Quad Chair with 4-Can CoolerSummarySummaryA simple and budget-friendly inward-folding quad camping chair that is perfect for camping, weekend league games, or last-minute seating at a backyard barbecue.ProsProsThe lightweight construction makes this chair ideal if you plan to be on the move while camping. A four-can cooler keeps drinks cool and within easy reach. You’ll also enjoy the padded seat for added comfort.ConsConsThe budget-friendly price can also come with construction issues. The legs may break after minimal use, and you might struggle to reinsert the folded chair into its holding sleeve because of the bulky pockets.
- Honorable MentionCORE Equipment Folding Padded Hard Arm ChairSummarySummaryA padded folding chair that features a few amenities to upgrade your camping experience. A lightweight frame makes it easy to get up and go.ProsProsRoomy side-pockets give you quick access to essentials like your phone or sunglasses. Also, the built-in cup holder ensures you’ll stay hydrated. The durable steel frame means you’ll get plenty of use out of this camping chair.ConsConsWhile the frame is sturdy, the connections between the tubing can be weak, leading to a chair that breaks prematurely. In some cases, the padded portion of the chair may rip after minimal use.
- Most camping chairs are collapsible, but not all will fold down to a small size. If you’re going to be hiking between campsites, opt for torpedo-style chairs that fold inward rather than a flat-fold model.
- If your focus is versatility, opt for a camping chair that’s labeled as an “everyday chair”. These types of chairs can pull double duty and be used at the beach, at your child's soccer game, or even at the park.
- Don’t forget to focus on ease of use. A camping chair that requires additional tools for proper setup isn’t ideal if you’re trying to pack light and will be moving between campsites frequently.
Q: How do I know that a camping chair is designed for longevity?
A: One of the most important aspects will be material composition. In addition to confirming the weight rating before purchasing, look for camping chairs that feature a powder-coated frame. These types of chairs are meant to be rust-resistant and will last longer than chairs that don’t offer this feature.
Q: Which type of camping chair is best suited for comfort?
A: Of the popular chair styles, a chair that is listed as a “camping chair” rather than backpacking or everyday chair will offer the most amenities and comfort. Options can range from built-in coolers to cup holders, added padding and back support, or the ability to expand and become a loveseat.
Q: Which type of camping chair is best for rugged conditions?
A: A backpacking chair is designed to be agile, quick to set up and break down, and able to withstand some punishment. It also usually features thinner but stronger framing made from aluminum instead of steel. Note that backpacking chairs tend to be the most expensive options you can buy.
For the ultimate experience, upgrade your campsite with our best overall selection, the ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair.
Budget-focused shoppers can rest easy knowing that our best value choice, the Coleman Portable Camping Quad Chair with 4-Can Cooler, will offer them plenty of functionality at a price that won’t break the bank.