Best Motorcycle Tents: Portable Shelters for Your Bike
These are the top weatherproof motorcycle sheds and tents for easy bike protection
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Bryan Long / LAST UPDATED ON March 17, 2021
If you own a motorcycle but don't have a garage, you can use a cover to keep it clean and protected. However, there is another option that’s easier to use and won't cause any scratches on the paint.
Motorcycle tents are small storage shelters that allow you to protect your bike quicker than old-fashioned covers. This guide gives you the top three motorcycle tents available today to keep your bike safe from the elements.
This motorcycle shelter is an easy to use, collapsible tent with a carrying bag that’s perfect for road trips on your bike.
- Comes in three different sizes and features ventilation windows
- Weatherproof and UV-resistant
- Has a carrying bag and a TSA code lock to protect your bike
- Some users in heavy rain areas noted that the mesh windows can be an issue
- Some customers have had problems with its setup
This three-season tent accommodates both you and your bike. It features four entryways that provide privacy and keep the bugs out.
- Has a waterproof rainfly that protects against heavy rain and strong winds
- Easy to set up
- Packs up nicely for storage
- Tent is a little heavy and is not ideal for backpacking
- Can be challenging to roll it up after use, and the stitching may come apart
This premium motorcycle tent is the best choice for home use thanks to its strong tie downs and heavy-duty construction.
- The Bike Shield has three available sizes and uses a polyethylene coating to repel water and UV rays
- Comes with a locking mechanism
- This motorcycle tent is the most expensive option
- Requires that you secure it to the ground
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Motorcycle Tents
- Secure your bike. Whether you're traveling, camping, or simply storing your bike at home, a motorcycle tent keeps it secure, particularly if it features a locking system. A tent hides your motorcycle from prying eyes and makes it less tempting to steal, since your motorcycle is out of sight.
- Protect it against the weather. Moisture and humidity can wreak havoc on your motorcycle's internal and external parts. The sun can also cause problems with the tires, cosmetic areas, and other components. A portable motorcycle tent can protect it from a variety of weather conditions.
- Keep it clean. If you leave your motorcycle outside all the time, it will be exposed to a lot of dirt, grime, and other debris. A motorcycle storage tent will aid in keeping it dirt- and dust-free.
- Prevent damage. A motorcycle shed is an extra layer of protection against scratches and other blemishes. It keeps people from getting too close to your bike and inadvertently bumping into it.
Types of Motorcycle Tents
Several brands of motorcycle tent storage sheds are easy to set up and break down. That makes them very versatile, as you can easily transport them from one place to another. They usually come with a storage bag. Some of them only cover the top of the bike, while others feature a floor. These tents are not as secure or durable as more permanent options.
Fixed motorcycle storage tents are usually made of plastic and/or metal. They come in a variety of designs and tend to be more expensive than portable options. They can be more challenging to set up and need to be maintained regularly (i.e., coated with rust protection) so they don't deteriorate over time.
This outdoor equipment company based in Dallas, Texas got its start in the early 2000s and manufacturers pop-up canopies, party tents, bike tents, grow tents, camping tents, portable garages, and more. One top product is the Quictent Heavy Duty Motorcycle Shelter Tent.
Bike Shield is a South Korean company, and its motorcycle tent is particularly popular in Japan. The company’s products are renowned for their quick setup: just park and cover your bike in three seconds. One top product is The Bike Shield Motorcycle Shelter Tent.
Based in Bingham Farms, Mich., Abba Patio designs high-quality outdoor products, including canopies, gazebos, and tents. One popular product is the Abba Patio Outdoor Storage Shelter 6 x 8 Feet.
Motorcycle Tent Pricing
- $150-$250: Motorcycle tents in this price range are typically easy to set up and break down. They are often portable, simple to carry and store, and are completely collapsible.
- $250 and up: Motorcycle storage tents in this price range tend to be more durable and extra resistant to UV light and the elements. Many of them are also designed to be staked to the ground for a more permanent application.
Condensation can cause your motorcycle to rust, so it's important to keep it as dry as possible when it's in storage. Many motorcycle storage tents feature mesh windows to promote airflow and to keep the metal parts on your bike from corroding. Other brands of tents include built-in fans. If your bike starts to rust and corrode, it can result in costly mechanical issues.
The size of the motorcycle shelter is key because it needs to properly cover your motorcycle without any gaps. Some brands come in several sizes in order to accommodate different sized bikes. If you purchase an ill-fitting tent, dirt (and theft) can become an issue. Also, if you're choosing a fixed shelter, it needs to be small enough to fit in a designated area.
- Assembly. If you're taking a road trip on your motorcycle, you need a tent that's easy to set up and take down. Make sure you check the assembly instructions and determine if you need additional tools. Most products feature how-to guides, or you may be able to access some videos online. We recommend practicing the setup before embarking on a trip.
- Additional Features. Some motorcycle tents have more storage than others, which can be beneficial if you plan on storing more than just your bike in the shelter. Also, check to see if the tent comes with a carrying bag for easier transport. In addition, if security is a priority, look for a product that has a locking system.
Best Motorcycle Tents Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Measure the height, width, and length of your bike to make sure a motorcycle tent will fit over it and to ensure that is also has a little bit of wiggle room.
- If you plan on using your tent while you travel, consider one with a floor or crossbar for the tire, so that it won't blow away or be taken down.
- Because they can be bolted down, storage tents are a good choice for portable and at-home use. If you only plan to use yours at home, consider one with more permanent tie-downs.
- Some motorcycle tents are made with thicker materials, which might be a good option if you live in a cold climate and want to protect your bike from the snow.
- For long road trips with your bike or frequent stops, make sure your tent is capable of being carried on your bike without being a distraction or getting in your way.
Q: Are motorcycle storage tents portable?
Yes. Motorcycle tents are made to be disassembled and reassembled quickly. The complexity of moving depends on the type of materials and the size of the tent.
Q: How do you build a motorcycle tent?
Most motorcycle tents are made to collapse fairly quickly, similar to camping tents. The biggest factor is whether or not your tent requires you to secure it to the ground, which can take longer.
Q: Are motorcycle tents weatherproof?
Yes, almost every motorcycle tent you can find will have some form of weatherproofing. Water-resistant tents are the most common, while premium options offer UV protection and vents to protect from the heat.
For the best motorcycle protection, check out the Quictent Heavy Duty Motorcycle Shelter Tent. It's weatherproof, UV-resistant, and comes with a TSA lock.
For an affordable three-season motorcycle tent, consider the VUZ Moto 12-Foot Waterproof Motorcycle Tent.