Best Motorcycle Tents: Portable Shelters for Your Bike
These are the top weatherproof motorcycle sheds and tents for easy bike protection
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you own a motorcycle but don't have a garage, you can use a cover to keep it clean and protected. However, there is another option that’s easier to use and won't cause any scratches on the paint.
Motorcycle tents are small storage shelters that allow you to protect your bike quicker than old-fashioned covers. This guide gives you the top three motorcycle tents available today to keep your bike safe from the elements.
Quictent Heavy Duty Motorcycle Shelter Tent
This motorcycle shelter is an easy to use, collapsible tent with a carrying bag that’s perfect for road trips on your bike.
- Comes in three different sizes and features ventilation windows
- Weatherproof and UV-resistant
- Has a carrying bag and a TSA code lock to protect your bike
- Some users in heavy rain areas noted that the mesh windows can be an issue
- Some customers have had problems with its setup
VUZ Moto 12-Foot Waterproof Motorcycle Tent
This three-season tent accommodates both you and your bike. It features four entryways that provide privacy and keep the bugs out.
- Has a waterproof rainfly that protects against heavy rain and strong winds
- Easy to set up
- Packs up nicely for storage
- Tent is a little heavy and is not ideal for backpacking
- Can be challenging to roll it up after use, and the stitching may come apart
The Bike Shield Motorcycle Shelter Tent
This premium motorcycle tent is the best choice for home use thanks to its strong tie downs and heavy-duty construction.
- The Bike Shield has three available sizes and uses a polyethylene coating to repel water and UV rays
- Comes with a locking mechanism
- This motorcycle tent is the most expensive option
- Requires that you secure it to the ground
Benefits of Motorcycle Tents
- Secure your bike. Whether you're traveling, camping, or simply storing your bike at home, a motorcycle tent keeps it secure, particularly if it features a locking system. A tent hides your motorcycle from prying eyes and makes it less tempting to steal, since your motorcycle is out of sight.
- Protect it against the weather. Moisture and humidity can wreak havoc on your motorcycle's internal and external parts. The sun can also cause problems with the tires, cosmetic areas, and other components. A portable motorcycle tent can protect it from a variety of weather conditions.
- Keep it clean. If you leave your motorcycle outside all the time, it will be exposed to a lot of dirt, grime, and other debris. A motorcycle storage tent will aid in keeping it dirt- and dust-free.
- Prevent damage. A motorcycle shed is an extra layer of protection against scratches and other blemishes. It keeps people from getting too close to your bike and inadvertently bumping into it.
Types of Motorcycle Tents
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Several brands of motorcycle tent storage sheds are easy to set up and break down. That makes them very versatile, as you can easily transport them from one place to another. They usually come with a storage bag. Some of them only cover the top of the bike, while others feature a floor. These tents are not as secure or durable as more permanent options.
Fixed motorcycle storage tents are usually made of plastic and/or metal. They come in a variety of designs and tend to be more expensive than portable options. They can be more challenging to set up and need to be maintained regularly (i.e., coated with rust protection) so they don't deteriorate over time.
This outdoor equipment company based in Dallas, Texas got its start in the early 2000s and manufacturers pop-up canopies, party tents, bike tents, grow tents, camping tents, portable garages, and more. One top product is the Quictent Heavy Duty Motorcycle Shelter Tent.
Bike Shield is a South Korean company, and its motorcycle tent is particularly popular in Japan. The company’s products are renowned for their quick setup: just park and cover your bike in three seconds. One top product is The Bike Shield Motorcycle Shelter Tent.
Based in Bingham Farms, Mich., Abba Patio designs high-quality outdoor products, including canopies, gazebos, and tents. One popular product is the Abba Patio Outdoor Storage Shelter 6 x 8 Feet.
Motorcycle Tent Pricing
- $150-$250: Motorcycle tents in this price range are typically easy to set up and break down. They are often portable, simple to carry and store, and are completely collapsible.
- $250 and up: Motorcycle storage tents in this price range tend to be more durable and extra resistant to UV light and the elements. Many of them are also designed to be staked to the ground for a more permanent application.
Condensation can cause your motorcycle to rust, so it's important to keep it as dry as possible when it's in storage. Many motorcycle storage tents feature mesh windows to promote airflow and to keep the metal parts on your bike from corroding. Other brands of tents include built-in fans. If your bike starts to rust and corrode, it can result in costly mechanical issues.
The size of the motorcycle shelter is key because it needs to properly cover your motorcycle without any gaps. Some brands come in several sizes in order to accommodate different sized bikes. If you purchase an ill-fitting tent, dirt (and theft) can become an issue. Also, if you're choosing a fixed shelter, it needs to be small enough to fit in a designated area.
- Assembly. If you're taking a road trip on your motorcycle, you need a tent that's easy to set up and take down. Make sure you check the assembly instructions and determine if you need additional tools. Most products feature how-to guides, or you may be able to access some videos online. We recommend practicing the setup before embarking on a trip.
- Additional Features. Some motorcycle tents have more storage than others, which can be beneficial if you plan on storing more than just your bike in the shelter. Also, check to see if the tent comes with a carrying bag for easier transport. In addition, if security is a priority, look for a product that has a locking system.
Best Motorcycle Tents Reviews & Recommendations 2021
This motorcycle shelter is an easy-to-use, collapsible tent with a carrying bag that’s perfect for road trips, whether you ride a bobber or a moped. It is designed with a 600D oxford fabric PU coating that is 100 percent waterproof. The tent comes with a one-year warranty and is easy to assemble; no extra tools are required.
The tent is available in three different sizes and features ventilation windows. It is weatherproof and UV-resistant and is easy to roll up and down. It also has a carrying bag and a TSA code lock to protect your bike. The XL tent fits a motorcycle and two adult-sized bicycles.
One of the issues with this tent is that in heavy rain areas, the mesh windows can be an issue. Also, some users have had problems with its setup, and the tent does not have a floor.
This three-season tent has an 18- by 8-foot footprint and can accommodate both you and your bike. There's a separate space just for a motorcycle, and it features four entryways. The multiple doors provide privacy and keep the bugs out with the aid of a mesh panel.
The tent features a waterproof rainfly that protects against heavy rain and strong winds. The floor is also waterproof, so you stay dry when sleeping. It's lightweight, easy to set up, and packs up nicely for storage. It easily fits larger motorcycles as well as two to three people inside.
One issue is that the tent is a little heavy, so it's not ideal for backpacking. It can also be a little challenging to roll it up after use. There have also been some complaints that the stitching can come apart over a short period of time.
This premium, self-enclosing motorcycle tent is a great choice for home use due to its strong tie-downs and heavy-duty construction. It comes with 16 square pipes, a cross plate, and a locking system, all of which are made of galvanized steel. The tent is 100 percent waterproof and comes with a one-year warranty.
The Bike Shield is available in three sizes and uses a polyethylene coating to repel water and UV rays. It features ventilation windows to prevent moisture buildup. It stays nice and dry, even in the heat, humidity, and rain. Overall, the construction is very good, so it should last for several seasons.
One drawback is that this motorcycle tent is an expensive option and also requires that you secure it to the ground. Strong winds may lift it off the ground, and it can also be a little challenging to assemble.
The Abba Patio Outdoor Storage Shelter is simple to set up and offers a safe place to store your motorcycle. The 6- x 8-foot shelter is built on strong 1.5-inch steel legs with an equally reliable and stable frame. Its design helps it withstand winds and reduces the amount it shakes and wobbles if outside in gusty wind. The frame is even powder-coated for extra protection against rust.
As for the canopy, it is constructed out of a triple layer of UV-treated material, thus keeping it from bleaching in the sun. The polyethylene fabric is also water-resistant, so your bike won’t get soaked while tucked away inside the tent. The tent also includes a door for easy access to and from the bike.
However, the tent isn’t the biggest and may not fit multiple bikes all that easily. There is no ground cover so the ground may be muddy if you leave it up in the rain. This motorcycle tent is also higher-priced for a smaller shelter. Plus, setting it up yourself can take a while as it can be awkward and heavy.
The Happybuy Portable Storage Shed does exactly what the name suggests. It is a highly portable shelter for your motorcycle, ATV, lawn mower, or any other small vehicle. The tent measures 6 x 6 x 7.8 feet, making it a large enough space to store two motorcycles with a bit of extra space to move around or hang out.
The tent frame is made out of a durable steel that has been powder-coated to protect it from rusting. The fabric is a tough polyethylene material, all of which is treated with a water-resistant coating to prevent large leaks. This tent also includes a door so you can keep everything locked away and it has two windows so you easily keep an eye on what’s inside.
The tent may not be overly expensive, but it is set at a higher price. Also, while it may be portable, it is quite hefty. The entire kit weighs around 57 pounds and it doesn’t appear to come with any sort of bag or pack to store everything in when you are finished using it.
The Abba Patio Extra Large Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tent is large and sturdy. As the bigger sibling to one of our other choices, this tent is bulky. It measures 10 x 20 feet and is a roomy outdoor tent that offers plenty of room for a few bikes. It’s a premium model motorcycle tent and features robust powder coated steel framing and rugged polyethylene fabric.
One of its best aspects is the extra thick fabric that forms the sides and the ceiling of the tent. Another great feature is the walls can be completely removed so you can form a sort of gazebo or improve airflow. It’s water-resistant and comes with bungee cords to help secure the tent in place.
As it is a large heavy-duty tent, you will be spending a lot on it. It is also going to be rather heavy due to the bulky frame and cover. It isn’t a tent you would want to take with you on a trip unless you have somewhere to store it. The tent may also be difficult to put together by just one person. You may need multiple people to ensure it stays in place.
The ShelterLogic Shed-in-a-Box Motorcycle Tent measures 10 x 10 x 8 feet. It has waterproofed gray fabric and a thick metal powder-coated frame that holds it all together. One of the tent’s best features is its ratcheted tensioning system that ensures the cover fits snugly and tightly around the entire frame.
It’s large enough to store up to two motorcycles side-by-side. However, it could fit a few more smaller pocket bikes if needed. There is plenty of space to move around as well. Plus, it is designed to be used all year and brushes off snow, rain, and is even UV-protected to withstand the sun’s harshest rays.
Putting the tent together may be one of the most annoying things about it. While it isn’t all that large when compared to other models, it can be awkward to set up by yourself. The instructions can be difficult to follow. Also, the tent is rather expensive.
We couldn’t do an entire list about the best motorcycle tent without adding the Harley-Davidson Dome Tent. As one of the most popular names in the motorcycling world, this tent is designed to be used with more than just Harley-Davidsons. There is a large enough pocket for you to store the bike in and it’s completely portable.
By far the best feature of this motorcycle tent is it doubles as both a place to store the bike and for you to sleep. After you tuck in the motorcycle for the night, you have a place to sleep as well. The material is breathable and ventilated to allow cool air to flow freely. The frame is made out of aluminum for ultimate flexibility and strength, too. It’s even large enough to fit two bikes.
This four-person tent is set at a higher price. You will be paying for the Harley-Davidson name and the amount of storage space. There is no ground cover for the bikes and it can be difficult to set up the first few times. The tent fabric may leak as well.
- Measure the height, width, and length of your bike to make sure a motorcycle tent will fit over it and to ensure that is also has a little bit of wiggle room.
- If you plan on using your tent while you travel, consider one with a floor or crossbar for the tire, so that it won't blow away or be taken down.
- Because they can be bolted down, storage tents are a good choice for portable and at-home use. If you only plan to use yours at home, consider one with more permanent tie-downs.
- Some motorcycle tents are made with thicker materials, which might be a good option if you live in a cold climate and want to protect your bike from the snow.
- For long road trips with your bike or frequent stops, make sure your tent is capable of being carried on your bike without being a distraction or getting in your way.
Q: Are motorcycle storage tents portable?
Yes. Motorcycle tents are made to be disassembled and reassembled quickly. The complexity of moving depends on the type of materials and the size of the tent.
Q: How do you build a motorcycle tent?
Most motorcycle tents are made to collapse fairly quickly, similar to camping tents. The biggest factor is whether or not your tent requires you to secure it to the ground, which can take longer.
Q: Are motorcycle tents weatherproof?
Yes, almost every motorcycle tent you can find will have some form of weatherproofing. Water-resistant tents are the most common, while premium options offer UV protection and vents to protect from the heat.
For the best motorcycle protection, check out the Quictent Heavy Duty Motorcycle Shelter Tent. It's weatherproof, UV-resistant, and comes with a TSA lock.
For an affordable three-season motorcycle tent, consider the VUZ Moto 12-Foot Waterproof Motorcycle Tent.