Best Swiss Army Knives: Versatile, Pocket-Sized Tools
Get access to various tools in one place with these Swiss Army knives
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 12, 2019
A Swiss Army knife is one of the most versatile tools you can carry around. It is compact, lightweight, and small enough to fit in your pocket or pouch. It can handle anything from tightening a screw with its built-in screwdriver or slicing and cutting with scissors. If you are looking for one of the best Swiss Army knives, consider one of these in the buying guide below.
- Best OverallVictorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool SwissChamp Pocket KnifeSummarySummaryIt’s perhaps one of the most versatile Swiss Army knives for the price. It comes with 33 various functions and is developed out of strong tempered stainless steel.ProsProsThe blade is durable and sturdy. It features a number of tools not found on other knives, and one of the best and most useful tools is a pair of pliers. It also includes a mini magnifying glass and a built-in ruler.ConsConsAll its tools make it heavy (6.5 ounces), so it can be a hassle to place in a pocket with other items. It can also be difficult to pull out the tool you need, and the knife and scissors could be sharper.
- Best ValueVictorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool Fieldmaster Pocket KnifeSummarySummaryIt features 15 tools, is constructed out of stainless steel, and is polished with a red finish for additional protection and style.ProsProsThe knife features a 2.45-inch blade, a screwdriver, scissors, a wood saw, and many more versatile tools for camping and uses around the home and office. It weighs 3.5 ounces and is a compact 15mm in size.ConsConsIt doesn’t feature plies. It is on the heavier and larger side and can be a pain in your pocket. Also, the blade may not stay sharp too long, so you have to resharpen it often.
- Honorable MentionVictorinox Swiss Army Rescue Tool, Pocket Knife with PouchSummarySummaryThe Rescue Tool comes with 15 convenient tools for camping trips or projects around the house. It’s developed out of tough stainless steel and finished with bright yellow paint, so you can always spot it.ProsProsIt comes with an assortment of tools you’d find in other knives but also includes a one-hand serrated locking blade for precise cutting, a glass breaker, disc saw, and a convenient carrying case. This makes it especially useful in your vehicle or outdoor kit.ConsConsThe position of the screwdriver can make it difficult to use in tight spaces. The price is high, the knife seems dull, and many of the tools can be too tight to pull out with one hand.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- If you have a difficult time pulling out the tools the first few times you use the Swiss Army knife, either wear gloves or put a lubricant on the screws and nuts to loosen the tools.
- Check to make sure none of the hinges or screws are loose on the knife after you use it to keep it from falling apart. You can easily tighten them with a screwdriver.
- To keep it from rusting, don’t leave the knife outside in rain, snow, or anywhere it can collect condensation. Leave it in a pouch when not in use.
Q: How can I sharpen a Swiss Army knife?
A: To re-sharpen the knife, use a whetstone at an angle of 15 to 20 degrees. You can also use a grinding wheel to sharpen the blade. Always cool it down with plenty of water to avoid excessive temperatures and any resulting damage that may occur.
Q: What can I do to clean my Swiss Army knife?
A: Over time, you may notice the blades and other tools on the Swiss Army knife may begin to stick together. To alleviate this problem, try opening and closing the tools in warm water several times to allow the tools to easily move again. After they dry, apply a small drop of oil between the tool shank and spring. Never put Swiss Army knives in the dishwasher or washing machine.
Q: What can I do if my Swiss Army knife falls apart?
A: With extended use, a Swiss Army knife can come apart, and the tiny springs and screws holding it together can get lost. If this happens, either find replacement parts at a hobby store or send the knife back to the manufacturer.
For one of the most versatile and useful Swiss Army knives, consider the Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool SwissChamp Pocket Knife.
There’s also the Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool Fieldmaster Pocket Knife, which is a smaller, more compact version at a much lower price that includes all the tools you need.