Best Luggage: Expand Your Storage Capacity
Travel in style with some of the best luggage
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 4, 2019
A great travel bag can be a lifesaver during long camping trips. It’s convenient when you can pack all your travel gear including food, medicine, survival kits, clothes, and shoes in one bag without having to worry about broken zippers, torn fabric, or shattered roller wheels. Here’s an overview of the best travel luggage for long trips.
- Best OverallOsprey Sojourn Wheeled LuggageSummarySummaryA piece of expandable 28-inch luggage that can be rolled around or worn like a backpack.ProsProsHigh tensile strength zippers. Comfortable mesh back. Has an adjustable hip belt for a snug fit. Made of water- and stain-resistant material. It rolls smoothly over any surface. Has an ergonomic carrying handle.ConsConsExpensive. Tends to tip over easily. The handle isn’t long enough for tall people.
- Best ValueHomdox Duffle BagSummarySummaryA large outdoor travel bag made of high-quality fabric that’s resistant to wear and tear.ProsProsLarge carrying capacity. Waterproof. It has multiple odor-resistant pockets and high-quality zippers. Features double carrying handles. Folds up easily for a small profile. Multiple color options.ConsConsDoesn’t have roller wheels. Made of thin material and the straps are not suitable for heavy loads.
- Honorable MentionSamsonite Winfield Hardside LuggageSummarySummaryA hard-side suitcase that offers maximum packing capacity and has four multi-directional spinner wheels.ProsProsFeatures interior divider pockets for efficient organization of your belongings. Includes a convenient push-button, retractable handle. Features a side-mounted combination lock. Available in a variety of colors.ConsConsThe zippers may break or fail to close completely. The wheels aren’t protected from impact damage.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Remember to keep your food and drinks well sealed before packing them in the bag. Tip the containers over to confirm that they are airtight.
- Consider putting dirty clothes and clean clothes on the extreme ends of your luggage. That way you won’t have to do the “sniff test” when looking for clean clothes.
- Avoid packing sharp tools and objects in your luggage. They may rip the fabric. If you have to bring them, seal them in a bubble bag or any other cushioned material.
- Make a list of all the necessary items you need for your trip before packing. Cross out most of the luxury items and fancy gadgets that you don’t need for camping. It will help you pack lighter.
- Try to maintain a one-bag-per-person rule for camping. If your children are under 10 years old, they can share a bag. You can bring one extra bag for toiletries or snacks.
- Store your electronics—like your laptop, charger, and phone—at the top of the bag. It will be easier to access them and you won’t have to worry about damaging them with excess weight.
Q: What is the best type of wheels for luggage?
A: The most popular type of wheels are in-line skate wheels, which make it possible for you to tilt your luggage as you drag it behind you. Luggage pieces with four wheels and a flexible carrying handle are also popular for dragging heavy loads with ease. Generally, you should prioritize wheels made of polyurethane; they are more durable.
Q: Are hard suitcases good for camping?
A: Only if you don’t plan on carrying it around during your trip. The hard suitcase can be used for storing your clothes in your RV. You should, however, consider using a soft backpack if you plan on leaving your RV behind and going out to explore nature.
Q: Which type of luggage is allowed on a plane?
A: Most airlines do not limit the type of bags you can bring in-flight as long as you are within the baggage allowance limits. Luggage should be an acceptable size and should not pose a threat to the other passengers and the aircraft. You should check with your airline before your flight on whether your bag fits within the airline’s allowable limits.
Our top pick is the Osprey Sojourn Wheeled Luggage. It allows you to travel in style and has multiple storage components that can carry all the essential items you need for your camping trip.
If you are looking for an affordable and weather-resistant bag, consider the Homdox Duffle Bag.