Best Scooters for Kids: Make Outdoor Activities Fun
Provide a safe and enjoyable ride for your young one with these top-rated scooters for kids
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 3, 2019
Scooters are all about fun and safety for your little one. You can find a number of scooters on the market that are suitable for children of all ages. However, only a limited few have what it takes to guarantee your child's safety. Here's a rundown of some of the best-rated kid's scooters.
- Best OverallRazor LUX Kick ScooterSummarySummaryA two-wheeled scooter designed for children aged eight years and up.ProsProsTough aluminum construction. Large wheels for better offroading. Easy fold and carry design. It can support riders of up to 220 pounds. Features adjustable handlebars for a growing child. Includes a retractable kickstand for upright storage. Comes fully assembled.ConsConsThe handlebars may be easily pushed in during pro stunts. May have a faulty folding mechanism. Weak connectors.
- Best ValueDen Haven Kids ScooterSummarySummaryA three-wheeled scooter recommended for toddlers and young children.ProsProsComfortable handles. It offers a great balance. Offers a smooth and squeak-free ride. Durable construction. A foldable design ideal for storage. Available in a variety of colors. Easy-to-use rear brake. Adjustable T-bar for growing children.ConsConsThe rear brake may come off. Awkward third wheel placement. The handle may jam at times.
- Honorable MentionRazor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro ScooterSummarySummaryA two-wheeled electric scooter for kids aged 13 years old and up.ProsProsStylish vintage look. It can last for up to 10 miles on a single charge. It can support riders up to 170 pounds. Available in a variety of colors. Features a convenient under-seat storage compartment. Large pneumatic tires promote a smooth ride. Includes a retractable kickstand.ConsConsExpensive. Difficult to tell if the unit is charging or when it’s full. Heavy.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Train your child to be aware of his or her surroundings and watch out for motorists when riding the scooter. You can accessorize the scooter with a bell and encourage them to constantly ring it when they are playing outside.
- Dress your child in protective gear, including a helmet and elbow guards, to protect them from injury. Also, dress your child in a reflector vest to make them visible to other motorists.
- It’s not safe to ride electric scooters in the rain. It may damage the electrical system and electrocute your child. Also, electric scooters may fail in extreme hot or cold temperatures.
Q: Is a two-wheeled scooter safe for toddlers?
A: It’s not a good idea to start your toddler with a two-wheeled bike or a two-wheeled scooter. The toddler’s eye and body coordination may not be developed enough to help them brake in time for emergencies or to maintain proper balance.
Q: How do I prolong the life of the scooter?
A: Basic maintenance services will preserve the life of your scooter. You should lubricate the bearings and the joints to minimize friction. Replace the worn-out wheels and add a fresh layer of paint on the metal to prevent rust.
Q: Are scooters boring toys?
A: It depends on the type of scooter you buy and the experience level of the little one. A beginner may find a two-wheeled scooter boring since they always have to get off to propel themselves. It may be too much work for them. You can make the experience more interesting by buying your kid an electric scooter or taking them to different playgrounds to test out the scooters.
Our top pick for the best scooter for kids is the Razor LUX Kick Scooter. It has a classic look and offers a comfortable ride for your kids.
If you want a cheaper scooter toy for your toddler, consider the Den Haven Kids Scooter.