Best Commuter Bikes: Save Gas and Enjoy a Leisurely Ride to Work
Get to work in style with these unique and fun commuter bikes
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 4, 2019
Commuter bikes are great if you want to get to work without dealing with traffic. They are best for large cities with heavy congestion and where getting around in a car is a pain. They are also a healthy alternative to driving and are a great way to lose weight and get in shape. If you are considering commuting to work and live close enough to ride your bike, here are a few of the best commuter bikes available.
- Best OverallSwagCycle EB-5 Pro Lightweight and Aluminum Folding Commuter EBikeSummarySummaryThe reinforced sturdy frame is foldable for easy storage. It’s versatile and doubles as an electric bike and pedal bike. The motor can reach 15 mph.ProsProsThe bike comes pre-assembled. The battery lasts up to 15 miles. It features large 14-inch rubber air-filled tires for additional comfort, traction, and control.ConsConsFolding it can be a hassle and time-consuming process. It’s also heavy, weighing 40 pounds. The battery takes five hours to recharge.
- Best ValueSchwinn Loop Folding Commuter BicycleSummarySummaryEasy folding for quick storage. Developed out of tough steel. Long-lasting and large 20-inch wheels boost performance and grip.ProsProsFeatures a seven-speed shifter for additional strength and comfort. Includes a heavy-duty nylon storage bag, fenders, and a storage compartment behind the seat.ConsConsThe seat may be a little stiff. Keeping it folded may require a bungee cord or straps. The shock absorption is on the low end, and you may get a lot of vibrations on the ride.
- Honorable MentionRetrospec Harper Coaster Fixie Style Single-Speed Commuter BikeSummarySummaryThe frame is developed out of hi-tensile steel for improved strength and durability. The body absorbs shocks and reduces vibrations for increased comfort.ProsProsIt’s fitted with robust 27-inch wheels for additional support and control. They are puncture-resistant and absorb more bumps for a smoother ride.ConsConsIt is only a single-speed bike, so riding uphill will be more challenging. The paint can chip easily. It requires some assembly.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Make sure to use bike lanes and obey traffic laws while traveling on a bike to stay as safe as possible.
- Always wear a helmet when riding on a bike to avoid any potential head injuries.
- If riding in traffic or at night, you should attach reflective markers to your bike to make sure drivers can see you. You should also invest in a high-visibility jacket.
- If the seat is too stiff or rough, you can get a replacement with thicker padding. You can also invest in a pair of comfortable cycling shorts that feature their own form of padding.
Q: Do commuter bikes have a weight capacity?
A: Commuter bikes are built for getting around quickly and efficiently. They are designed to be light and easier to carry, so they will have a weight restriction to ensure the frame doesn’t weaken or break. Most bikes will have a maximum weight capacity of around 220 to 250 pounds. However, this will depend on the brand. You should consult with the manufacturer’s guidelines to see the weight limits.
Q: What can I do to maintain my commuter bike?
A: To properly maintain your commuter bike, you should clean the frame with a cloth, and make sure to remove any debris from the brakes, adjustable seat, and handlebars. Routinely check to make sure the bolts are tightened, and lubricate the wheels to make sure they keep spinning smoothly.
Q: How can I protect my bike from being stolen?
A: Consider getting a bike lock to secure your bike once you reach your destination. While many can be folded for compact storage, others need to be set up on a bike rack. When at home, you should keep it in the garage or inside somewhere out of the rain.
For one of the best versatile commuter bikes with an electric motor for increased speed and power, consider the SwagCycle EB-5 Pro Lightweight and Aluminum Folding Commuter EBike.
Or for a budget-friendly option, there’s the Schwinn Loop Folding Commuter Bicycle, which comes with large tires and a storage compartment to hold bags or books.