Best Garage Door Openers: Seamlessly Open and Shut the Door
Gain access to your home with these high-quality garage door openers
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
The garage is one of the most common entrances to your home, and it should be protected. By having one of the best garage door openers, you ensure that the door opens and closes properly and effectively every time you press the remote control. Whether you need a new garage door opener to make things quieter or add more convenience, there are plenty to choose from. Here are some of the best-rated garage door openers to consider.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of a Garage Door Opener
- Convenience. The best garage door opener ensures you don’t use your own effort to open and close the garage door. You don’t have to get out of the car to open or close the door. With the push of a button, your garage door opens and you can quickly drive inside the garage. There’ll be no more shivering in the cold or frying in the summer sun.
- Affordability. Automatic garage door openers are fairly cheap and easy to install. They are ideal if you want to enhance security, use your garage for storage, or have several cars. A regular garage door opener lasts about 10 years, so you’ll get value for your money.
- Low-Maintenance. Installing an automatic garage door opener means spending less time and money on maintenance. However, this also depends on the type of door opener you get. Chain drive openers require more maintenance than other garage openers. To minimize maintenance requirements, follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Types of Garage Door Openers
A belt drive garage door opener uses a rubber belt to move the door, which results in a smoother, quieter operation. The rubber belt is reinforced with steel and is very strong and durable. There is no metal-on-metal contact, which minimizes vibrations. This type of garage door opener is a good option for homes that have bedrooms or living rooms located next to the garage. It has fewer maintenance needs because it’s designed with fewer moving parts. The downside is that it's costlier.
To raise or lower the garage door, a chain drive garage door opener uses a metal chain connected to the motor to drive the trolley. A chain drive opener is the most common and the most affordable. It is also compatible with most garage doors. However, it’s noisier and generates more vibrations than other openers. This is because there is more metal-to-metal contact. This garage door opener is ideal for detached garages or those that aren’t located next to living quarters. To run smoothly, its metal chain requires regular maintenance.
This garage door opener’s lifting mechanism uses a threaded steel rod to open or close the door. The rotating rod steers the trolley on the track to lower or raise the door. Like a belt drive opener, this opener requires little maintenance since it has fewer moving parts. It is not as noisy as a chain drive opener but is louder than a belt drive opener. It is also not as fast as a chain drive garage door opener. However, it has the most power output because its direct drive system moves more power from the motor and there’s no gear-reduction system.
This type of garage door opener uses an ultra-quiet 24V DC motor that drives cables and pulleys. These turn the torsion bar, raising the door. The garage opener is usually attached to the side of the door. It is ideal for large doors and garages with low or high ceilings. It works quickly and is a good choice for those concerned about the aesthetics of their garages. However, it’s more expensive than other garage door openers because of its operating mechanism. It requires little to no maintenance.
Originally known as the Alliance Manufacturing Company, Genie was founded in 1923 in Alliance, Ohio. The company produced its first garage door opener in 1954 and named it Genie. It was a residential, radio-controlled opener. In 1958, it made its first screw drive opener. The company changed its name to Genie Home Products in 1985. In 1994, it was bought by the Overhead Door Corporation. The company headquarters are in Mt. Hope, Ohio. If you want a noiseless garage door opener, get the Genie SilentMax Garage Door Opener.
Chamberlain Group is the corporate parent company of Chamberlain, LiftMaster, Grifco, and Merlin. Chamberlain’s products have interchangeable gears and circuit boards. The brand’s "myQ" technology is featured in its garage door openers and is available as a smartphone application. It can be added to a Wi-Fi network, allowing you to remotely control your garage door opener. Get the Chamberlain Garage Door Opener and use your smartphone to control it.
Techtronic Industries owns Ryobi Outdoor Power Equipment and Ryobi Power Tools. The company is based in Hiroshima, Japan, and was founded in 1943 by Yutaka Urakami. It manufactures automobile components, electronics, and telecommunications equipment. It also makes builders' hardware, power tools, and printing equipment. The company changed its name in 1973 from Ryobi Seisakusho Co. Ltd to Ryobi Limited. Ryobi products can be purchased online. To understand why the company has stood the test of time, try the Ryobi Garage Laser Parking Assist Module.
Garage Door Opener Pricing
- $100-$150: These are mostly chain drive garage door openers. They are noisier than other openers and have few garage door accessories. Some of them come with a limited warranty.
- $150-$200: Some of these garage door openers are powered by DC motors. They may have built-in lights and smart technology. They include chain drive and belt drive garage door openers.
- $200 and up: Some models found here can be mounted on the wall. Some have an automatic garage door lock for enhanced security. They may be belt drive or jackshaft garage door openers. Most feature smart technology.
Modern garage door openers are equipped with numerous features for the user’s convenience. One of these is smart technology. An automatic garage door opener featuring smart technology can be controlled using a smartphone. If you have a busy lifestyle, get an opener with smart technology. It allows you to easily open and close your garage any time you want. It can even notify you when the garage door is open. Additionally, you can set a timer to close the door after a certain period.
The lifting power of a garage door opener is measured in horsepower (HP). The horsepower determines the speed at which the garage door opens. This usually depends on how heavy and large the garage door is. Openers with 1/2 horsepower are the most popular as they can lift garage doors in most homes. Those with 1 horsepower are very good. They are powerful, efficient, and fast. It’s better to get a higher-powered opener than a lower-powered one. A garage door opener with the right horsepower does not need a lot of maintenance and works efficiently.
The location of your garage determines the amount of noise the door produces. If you are looking for a garage door opener that doesn’t produce any noise, get a jackshaft or a belt drive garage door opener. These are the quietest of all openers. Chain drive garage door openers are the noisiest. It is also important to check whether the garage door is what’s making the noise. If it is, examine the rollers, bolts, and nuts to make sure they are working properly.
- Energy Consumption. The best garage door opener consumes minimal energy. Newer models are the best, as they need less power to operate. They are less harmful to the environment and offer great value for your money. A single garage door opener requires about 15 amps, while two need about 20 amps. You don’t need a devoted circuit for the opener, but all wires must be grounded. You can also connect the opener to a solar panel to save power. The initial costs may be higher, but your energy bills will be lower.
- Security Features. Some modern garage door openers produce an electronic beam that spreads out across the garage door opening. The safety mechanism is activated when an animal, person, or object crosses the beam. This causes the door to close, keeping what’s inside the garage safe. Rolling code technology is also important, as it protects your garage against intruders. It creates a new security code each time you use the remote control to operate your garage door opener. The code that was used previously is discarded, and the opener only responds to the new code when you use the remote control.
- Lighting. The best garage door openers now come with built-in lights. They light up the path to your garage, or the garage itself, which is useful in winter, at night, or in bad weather. Getting an opener with lights enhances your garage’s security; criminals are more comfortable in the dark. Lights that have a timer are better because they turn on and off automatically. In case your garage door opener doesn’t have lights, you can buy them separately.
Best Garage Door Opener Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- To prevent the garage from sticking to the ground when it’s wet or hot outside, consider using a good lubricant on all of the moving parts.
- You should consider testing the garage door safety features by placing an object in front of the laser grid while the door is closing.
- For added security, look for a garage door opener that changes the codes sent between the opener remote and the receiver. This can stop thieves from hacking into the system and copying previous codes.
Q: How do I get the belt to quiet down?
A: The best way to get the belt to stay quiet is by using a garage door lubricant, such as the 3-IN-ONE Professional Garage Door Lubricant with Smart Straw. A word of warning against lubricants: while the compound is designed to help lubricate metal and make things easier to move, it is not built to clean parts.
Q: How do I install a garage door opener?
A: If you don’t want to hire a professional, you can simply reuse the old mounting brackets and harnesses from the previous opener. If you are adding a new one, you will need to install the mounting brackets by hand to the ceiling and follow the guidebook closely.
Q: Do garage door openers have a weight limit?
A: Yes, garage door openers are limited by how much weight they can carry. You will need to know the full weight of your garage door before purchasing and installing a new opener to ensure it can open it properly.
For a wireless, durable, and long-lasting garage door opener, consider the Chamberlain Smartphone-Controlled Ultra-Quiet Garage Door Opener. Or you can select the Genie ChainMax Garage Door Opener, which is both convenient and powerful at a cheaper price.