Best Framing Nailers: Easily Drive Nails Through Awkward Spaces
Drive nails through all kinds of surfaces with these framing nailers
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 9, 2019
Hammering nails all day can be a strenuous job, and your hands can get blistered from the exercise. You can save a lot of time and energy with a framing nailer or nail gun, which is a power tool that helps you finish the job in minutes. We have come up with a few options in the buying guide below.
- Best OverallBOSTITCH Framing NailerSummarySummaryA pneumatic nailer gun that can hold up to 60 nails at a time.ProsProsIt can easily switch between different nail sizes. It has a depth adjustment feature. Includes a jam clearance system. Has an anti-slip rubber grip. Protected from engine damage. It can fit in small spaces.ConsConsMay not be compatible with some aftermarket nails. Needs an air compressor. Not ideal for professional use.
- Best ValueNuMax Framing NailerSummarySummaryA dual-mode trigger nail gun that can hold up to 55 nails at a time.ProsProsCheaper than most nail guns. Durable construction. Lightweight. Warns you when you need to refill the gun. Features anti-dry fire mechanism. Safe. It allows for comfortable use.ConsConsIt may double fire occasionally. Non-precise depth adjustment tool. It may be challenging to find compatible nails.
- Honorable MentionDEWALT Framing NailerSummarySummaryA high-speed nail gun that holds up to 55 nails and shows how many nails have been fired.ProsProsShort reloading time. Dual trigger mode. Convenient cordless design. Has an indicator for jammed nails and battery condition. It can drive large nails with ease. Low vibration technology. Great for heavy-duty jobs.ConsConsExpensive. Drains its batteries fast. Not suitable for first-time users. May experience frequent jams.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Remove the nails from the gun if you don’t plan on using the tool for a long time. Also, keep the gun out of reach of children, who may injure themselves and others if they think it’s a toy.
- Once you complete a nailing project, engage the safety switch and disconnect the cord on pneumatic guns or remove the battery on a cordless gun.
- Wear protective clothing when using the nail gun to protect yourself from injuries. Wear boots, a helmet, and gloves whenever you are working with the tool.
- Be sure to regularly oil the framing nailer so that it can last longer. Lubricate it more than once a day if you are a construction site worker and use your gun more frequently.
Q: How do I clear a jammed nail gun?
A: First, you need to unplug the device from the power source to prevent any injuries. Continue to pull the trigger to let out compressed air from the system and pull the release lever that removes jammed nails. If your gun doesn’t have one, you have to pull out the nails manually, but take care not to cause any injuries.
Q: Are framing nailer guns safe?
A: Most modern nail guns are built with mechanisms to promote the safety of the user. However, your safety depends on how well you know how to use the gun. If it’s your first time using the gun, have a local mechanic teach you how to safely use it and watch tutorials on how to safely handle the equipment.
Q: How do I prevent the framing nailer from overheating?
A: You can prevent overheating by cleaning out dust and debris from your tool that may cause the internal components to clog up and overheat. Also, clear out all jams in the nail head immediately when you notice them. If your tool has a low power rating, avoid using it for long periods to prevent overheating and potential malfunctions.
Our top pick is the BOSTITCH Framing Nailer. It’s easy to use and has a large nail holding capacity that will help you complete numerous projects in record time.
Our budget pick is the NuMax Framing Nailer. It has an ergonomic design for enhanced comfort during use.