Best Oscillating Tools: Complete Nearly any Home Repair Job
Tackle nearly any job with these powerful and high-quality oscillating tools
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 8, 2019
An oscillating tool, also known as a multi-tool, can do almost anything you can think of when it comes to handiwork. It can cut, slice, polish, grind, sand, and saw. That makes it one of the most important tools you can have in the toolbox. So, we put together a list of some of the best oscillating tools to consider when thinking about your next home improvement job.
- Best OverallDewalt Lithium-Ion Oscillating Multi-Tool KitSummarySummaryThe tool comes with a quick-change system to connect and disconnect its accessories with ease and without wrenches. It’s also universal and can connect with all major brands and comes with a 2.0 Ah battery.ProsProsIt includes 28 additional accessories for cutting, sanding, and sawing for versatility. Plus, the tools all fit in an easy-to-carry storage box.ConsConsThe charge isn’t too long and may need to be recharged every 20 minutes. It’s also on the loud side, so you should consider earplugs.
- Best ValueDremel Amp Multi-Max Oscillating Tool KitSummarySummaryThe device is equipped with a powerful 2.3 amp motor and includes a 120-volt battery.ProsProsThe kit comes with six accessories, including sanding sheets and cutting blades, which can easily and quickly be swapped out with the other.ConsConsAdditional blades can be expensive, and the tool itself can be awkward and heavy to carry around without a bag.
- Honorable MentionRockwell Amp Sonicrafter Oscillating Multi-ToolSummarySummaryIt features a metal and wood setting for added convenience, power, and precision. The tool also comes with a hyper lock holding system to tightly secure each blade.ProsProsIt includes a strong 4.2 amp motor capable of handling heavy loads with ease. Plus, there are nine additional accessories and a carrying case.ConsConsWhile the locking mechanism is sturdy and powerful, engaging it may be a hassle. You will have to rotate the mechanism until it locks in place. It’s also rather loud.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Make sure you wear protective earplugs when operating the oscillating tool to prevent any damage to your ears. You should also consider wearing protective eyewear to avoid any sawdust, sand, or debris from getting in your eyes.
- Always wear a thick pair of gloves when operating the tool as well. They will ensure your hands don’t get injured and prevent them from getting calluses.
- Use extreme caution when handling an oscillating tool. Always cut, saw, or sand away from you to avoid potentially hurting yourself.
Q: What can an oscillating tool do?
A: As a multi-tool, the device is capable of performing nearly any home improvement task you can set your mind to. Its many functions allow you to punch holes in drywall, slice grout, grind mortar, cut through door trim, and grind and trim down almost any material.
Q: How long does the battery last on an oscillating tool?
A: This will vary and depend on what device and brand you get. Generally, they tend to last around 20 to 30 minutes on a charge. However, more difficult jobs can drain the battery more quickly.
Q: Will I need to buy extra accessories or will the included ones last a lifetime?
A: While there are certain accessories that will not wear down with use, the majority of extra tools eventually will. For example, sandpaper and grinder additions will get weaker over time, so you will need to buy more of those. While blades tend to last longer, they can still bend and chip while operating the tool.
For a powerful oscillating tool with plenty of extra accessories, check out the Dewalt Lithium-Ion Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit.
The Dremel Amp Multi-Max Oscillating Tool Kit is also a tough tool at a cheaper price.