Best Roof Top Tents: Enjoy the Outdoors from Your Vehicle
The top choices for roof tents for sleeping on top of your car
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 8, 2019
There's nothing quite like experiencing the great outdoors from the comfort of your own vehicle. That's why we like rooftop tents: the convenience of camping without leaving your own vehicle. Finding the right rooftop tent requires a little bit of research beforehand, so here's our handy guide to get you started.
- Best OverallTepui Explorer Kukenam Rooftop TentSummarySummaryA great rooftop tent designed to survive all four seasons.ProsProsGood construction overall. Fairly easy to set up and use regardless of the weather conditions.ConsConsPricey compared to many other similar roof tents you can buy these days.
- Best ValueSmittybilt Overlander TentSummarySummaryA standard-size tend with a good degree of weatherproofing to keep the rain out in the spring and summer.ProsProsInstallation can take some time, but it's fairly straightforward and can be done alone.ConsConsThe cover is prone to tearing after some use or in bad weather like windy conditions.
- Honorable MentionTepui Explorer Ayer Rooftop TentSummarySummaryA quality two-person tent that can fit onto the roof of almost any medium-to-large vehicle with the right equipmentProsProsThere is a good amount of comfort when using the tent. The interior is spacious enough to fit two people comfortably.ConsConsHigh price compared to other rooftop tents available on the market.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- You will need the right roof racks for the tent to fit properly and securely on the top of your vehicle.
- Keep an eye on the weight of the tent and its occupants. Most roof racks are designed to take a few hundred pounds alone.
- Buy a four-season tent if you want some weatherproofing for harsh climate conditions all year.
Q. Why should I buy a rooftop tent?
A. Keeping your tent on top of your vehicle offers a lot of conveniences when traveling.
Q. How do I install the tent?
A. Each tent is different in the particular installation process but most secure to the roof racks using supplied hardware and (sometimes) tools.
Q. What is the maximum weight of the roof?
A. This depends on the roof racks you have. Most are limited to a few hundred pounds, so you will need the right rack or platform to hold more than 500 pounds if necessary.
Our top pick for the best rooftop tent is the Tepui Explorer Kukenam Rooftop Tent.
Want to save a few bucks without sacrificing quality? Check out the Smittybilt Overlander Tent instead.