Best Garage Shelving: Space-Saving Units That Reduce Clutter
The best garage shelving will turn your cluttered garage into an organized haven
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
As some homes get smaller and smaller, space becomes even more important in garages. Garage shelving systems are not an option; they are a necessity. If left unattended, a garage can get fairly messy over time. Good garage organization systems increase the lifespan of your tools, free up space, and provide a safe and conducive environment for working on a variety of projects. Our buying guide includes some practical storage solutions to make your life less cluttered.
Seville Classics Commercial 7-Tier 16-Bin Rack Storage System
Gracious Living 4-Shelf Light Duty Shelf Unit
FLEXIMOUNTS 2-Pack 2 x 6ft 24-inch-by-72-inch Wall Shelf
Benefits of Garage Shelving
- Better organization. Garage shelving is ideal for storing your tools in one place. It keeps the clutter to a minimum. The best garage shelving accommodates both bulky tools and smaller ones. If you’re using the garage to store things you currently don’t use, shelves are a great way to keep it tidy.
- Enhanced safety. The garage can be a hazardous place if tools are strewn about haphazardly. The best garage shelving units are highly stable for increased safety and hold tools solidly in place. Having well-built garage shelves means you don’t have to worry about accidents.
- Longer tool lifespan. Anything you keep in the garage is susceptible to damage. However, you can greatly reduce the probability of damage by storing items in a proper storage rack. If you run a business that requires the use of tools, you prolong their durability if you properly store them. This saves you money in the long run.
- Easy accessibility. There are different garage storage options, and you can store items according to their importance. Each shelf can have a specific purpose. With the best garage shelving system, you can quickly access anything in your garage at any given time.
- Clutter control. Clutter limits usable space. Garage shelving is the best weapon for fighting clutter. You can put away tools, memorabilia, or anything you are not using. Overall, shelving frees up storage space you can use for other purposes.
Types of Garage Shelving
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Wire and Metal Shelves
Wire shelves are a solid pick if you want a storage option that allows you to hang some of your equipment. Wire shelves are also a good choice if you want a lightweight storage option you can move around. They are also more affordable than steel shelves. Conversely, if you want heavy-duty shelving, opt for metal, which can hold heavier items.
Wood shelves can be very cost-effective and are typically made of oak, maple, plywood, or chipboard. Hardwoods are more expensive but are much stronger than other types of wood. For example, pine can warp under heavy loads and is more susceptible to breaking. Wood shelving is ideal for lighter tools and equipment.
Overhead shelves can either be suspended from the ceiling or mounted on the wall. They are very useful if you are short on space. Most of these shelves are sturdy and can carry heavy loads. They’re also a great choice if you have kids and want to store things out of their reach.
Seville Classics was founded 40 years ago in Torrance, Calif. To date, it has upheld its founding mission, which is to provide effective solutions for home organization and storage. Its catalog contains a myriad of innovative products, ranging from work tables to large garage shelves.
In the heart of Livermore, Calif., is Fleximounts. The company is well known for its range of heavy-duty mounts and garage storage systems. The Fleximount garage racks are some of the products you will find in the company’s expansive collection. One of its best innovations is the overhead storage rack, which is designed specifically for garage use.
Garage Shelving Pricing
- Below $50: You can find some garage shelving in this price range, but it has some limitations. Some of the best garage shelving systems at this price point feature three-tier racks and can carry up to 200 pounds on each tier as long as it’s distributed evenly.
- $50-$100: This is where you will find sturdy yet affordable wire racks. These are storage systems you can use in any room in the house. Their use extends beyond the garage, and they also provide storage for pantries and attics. Options here include four-tier and five-tier wire racks with or without casters.
- $100-$200: Most homes have garage storage systems in this price range. The category is wide, ranging from static garage shelving options to overhead ceiling shelves. When you buy a unit in this price range you may have money to spare for a few extras such as tool organizers and pegboards.
- $300+: These garage shelving systems are geared towards commercial outlets looking for top-shelf (pun unintended) garage shelves. While you don’t need to spend that much for the best garage shelves, you have more options to choose from in this price range. You can expect to fork out more for extra features such as bigger sizes and enhanced durability. Units in this category can accommodate loads of up to 1,000 pounds.
Garage shelves come in a wide range of sizes. The size you get depends on both your immediate needs or future intentions. If you have a small setup, you can opt for small two-by-four-foot garage shelves that carry items weighing as much as 300 pounds. There are also smaller compact options for small items.
Your ideal garage shelf may make your garage look tidy, but it is crucial to ensure that the material will stand the load and test of time. Some of the best garage storage shelves are made from industry-grade steel so they are solid and last for many years.
- Mobility: If you work in a high-traffic environment that calls for moving tools around, get garage shelving with casters. The wheels allow you to move the shelving without having to unload anything. However, it is important to note that casters will affect load capacity. Still, they do save you some of the efforts you’d use to carry items every time you want to move them.
- Adjustability: Adjustable shelves give you the freedom to store items of varying sizes. But adjustability must go hand in hand with ease of assembly, as you may need to dismantle the unit and put it back together every now and then. Fortunately, some shelves have easy-to-follow instructions. You can also look for extra features such as complementary hooks and collapsible shelves.
Best Garage Shelving: Reviews & Recommendations 2021
Storage is a constant pain point in many homes and businesses, yet it shouldn't be. Enter a great storage solution such as the Seville Classics seven-tier commercial storage unit. The system comes with slide-out racks that you can use to compartmentalize your tools. The system’s seven tiers require minimal effort to assemble and disassemble. The structure feels solid, and its zinc finish gives it a look that works well in both home and commercial garages. The wire shelving unit also rests on casters for easy movement. The Seville Classics shelving system comes with 16 slide-out bins ranging from large to small. To avoid compromising the rack's stability, we advise that you limit movement while it’s loaded. We also don’t recommend it for certain commercial applications as its shelves can’t hold very heavy items. Its total weight capacity on casters is 500 pounds.
These shelves make organizing your garage a quick and easy chore. With no need for tools, the shelves and legs slide into place for a secure shelving unit that can support up to 55 pounds on each of its four shelves. Standing two feet wide, one foot deep, and four feet high, this option fits neatly into tight spaces. These shelves are perfect for smaller garages, entryways, or other areas that only require a small amount of storage.The black resin construction won’t rust or chip like metal or coated shelves. The assembled shelving unit weighs slightly less than eight pounds. Order individually, in pairs, or as a set of four. However, this shelf's lightweight construction and compact size limits its storage capacity. You will need to store large and heavy items elsewhere.
The Fleximounts two-foot by six-foot wall shelves are a terrific choice for garages, offices, and even dorm rooms. They embody durability and sturdy workmanship. The heavy-duty wall mounted garage shelving is made of heavy-gauge steel and comes with 7mm screws for extra-secure mounting. In addition to the buckle design and Velcro fastening, a bubble level helps keep the shelves straight during installation. Once mounted on a garage wall, it can load up to 200 pounds on each shelf with even distribution—even on concrete walls. The major drawback of these shelves is that they lack depth, so they can’t hold as many items as some other types of shelves. In addition, there’s no way to align them to create one long shelf. The manufacturer provides very few supports, so you’ll have to place each shelf on two supports.
The best thing about the DEWALT Steel Wire Deck Industrial Storage Rack is its massive capacity. The four-foot-tall rack can accommodate 1,500 pounds on each of its three shelves for a total weight capacity of 4,500 pounds. If you have heavy equipment you want to store in your garage, this is the type of shelving you need. The rack is made of powder-coated steel uprights and cross beams that are durable and won't chip or fade. All three shelves have support straps to keep the rack from twisting when subjected to heavy loads. The rack also has fiberglass-reinforced nylon footpads to keep your garage floor from getting damaged. And for added security, there are wall-mounted anchor brackets and pins in the crossbeams to keep the shelves from tipping over. There are not many complaints about this storage rack except it may be shipped missing some of its pieces. In addition, the instructions aren't the greatest, and you may need to watch a video tutorial online to assemble it properly.
Best Shelf With WheelsSeville Classics Commercial-Grade Steel Wire ShelvingCheck Latest Price
The Seville Classics Commercial-Grade Steel Wire Shelving is 18 x 48 x 72.5 inches, but it also comes in several other sizes. You can adjust the shelves in one-inch increments. The rack includes wheels and weighs 78.3 pounds. The weight capacity is 4,000 pounds if you use just the leveling feet or 500 pounds if you choose to use the wheels. We like this option because the wheels allow you to easily position it in your garage as well as other areas of your home. It is constructed of industrial-strength steel, so it's designed to last, as well as chrome plating that provides corrosion resistance. Users like that it's easy to assemble, high quality, and very sturdy. Also, customer service is very helpful should you experience any issues. One downside is that it can be hard to level these shelves on an uneven garage floor. There have also been some complaints that the shelves may be damaged during shipping.
- It is important that you try to evenly distribute the weight on the shelves to avoid overloading and imbalancing them.
- For extra support, place the shelving system as close to the wall as possible or use mounting devices to secure them to the wall.
- You can always get totes and liners if you don’t want items falling through the small openings on certain types of shelving units.
Q: Do wall-mounted shelves have an advantage over conventional wire rack shelves?
Yes. Wall-mounted shelves can free up floor space in any room they are installed in.
Q: Do I need special equipment to install heavy-duty shelves for garages?
No, in most cases you do not need any special equipment for installation.
Q: Can I get pre-assembled shelves?
It depends on the manufacturer. Some shelves come preassembled, while others have easy-to-assemble parts and comprehensive manuals for easy installation.
Our pick for the best garage shelving is the Seville Classics 7-tier shelving system. It’s a great organizer if you are particular about how you store your small and medium-sized tools.
If you have a limited budget but would like a dependable and affordable garage storage system, the Gracious Living 4-Shelf Light Duty Shelf Unit will do just fine.
MORE TO READ
Best Car Lifts for Home Garages
Enjoy safety and comfort while working under your vehicle with one of the best car lifts for home garages.
Best Heaters for the Garage: Space Heater Options for Staying Warm
Keep your garage cozy warm year-round, even when the temperatures dip outside.
Best Garage Door Lubricants: Eliminate Squeaks and Other Noises
If used regularly, these formulas can prolong the life of your garage door.
Best Garage Door Insulation Kits: Seal Out the Elements
A garage door insulation kit can save you a fortune in heating and A/C costs.