Best Windshield Repair Kits: Fix Cracks & Chips With These Top Products
The top windshield repair kits to correct chips and cracked glass
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON June 25, 2019
It's frustrating to get a rock chip or crack on your car's windshield. Fortunately, the best glass repair job doesn't have to be carried out by a professional—you can do it yourself! Check out our cracked glass repair kit reviews to find the best windshield repair kit on the market.
- Best OverallRain-X Windshield Repair KitSummarySummaryThis kit is good for multiple repairs, and cracks vanish when examined at a 45-degree angle. It works best on one-inch-wide round damage or smaller and cracks tinier than 12 inches.ProsProsIt fills in chips and small cracks nicely and makes them hardly noticeable. It's easy to use, doesn't take much time to complete a repair, and is simple to clean up.ConsConsThe kit cannot patch large holes, the instructions are somewhat technical, the product has a strong odor, and it can adhere to your skin if you don't wear gloves.
- Best ValueBlue Star Windshield Repair KitSummarySummaryThis kit cures quickly in sunlight and produces a single, professional quality repair. It prevents damage from spreading and restores windshields to near-new condition.ProsProsIt is simple to use and fills in chips well. The repair holds up over an extended period of time, and the kit comes with everything you need to repair your windshield.ConsConsIt may not work well on larger cracks, and the resin may take longer to dry than the directions specify. Also, the damage may still be visible following the repair.
- Honorable MentionPermatex Windshield Repair KitSummarySummaryThis kit makes permanent, air-tight repairs on bullseye damage on most laminated windshields. The kit provides all the necessary tools for a single-use repair, and no mixing is necessary.ProsProsAfter application, the crack is barely noticeable. It stops a crack from growing and makes the area over the exterior hole feel smooth. The repair also lasts for a long period of time.ConsConsThe kit is only intended for bullseye chips. Also, the resin may not harden as well as competitor products, and it may leak out of the applicator during the repair.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Windshield Repair Kits
- Be safe. It can be hazardous to drive a vehicle with a cracked or chipped windshield, particularly if the damage is directly in your line of sight. The best rock chip repair kit can solve the problem.
- Save money. It costs much less to repair rock chip damage or a cracked windshield than it is to buy a new one. This is especially important if you don't have insurance that covers windshield damage, you have a high deductible, or your premiums will increase if you replace the windshield.
- Fix the windshield immediately. Instead of waiting for an appointment to replace your windshield, you can fix it yourself instantly with a car window chip repair kit.
- Avoid making the problem worse. If you wait too long to repair your windshield, the crack could get worse. With the right windshield crack repair tools, you can take care of the problem yourself before the glass is further damaged.
- They're easy to use. The best windshield repair system is simple for even beginners to administer. You don't need to be a professional to get the job done right.
Types of Windshield Repair Kits
The best windshield repair kits utilize resin with a high viscosity that makes the substance resistant to flowing and thereby more stable. In order to create a tight bond to the glass, the resin should also prevent shrinkage. Synthetic resins commonly include the ingredients methacrylate and acrylic acid as well as hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen.
Blue Star Products, Inc.
Blue Star Products, Inc. is located in Hauppauge, New York. The company prides itself in designing simple-to-use products that produce a high-quality professional result without requiring special skills or training. Founder Gerald Jacino is formerly the president and co-owner of Clear Star Products, Inc., incorporated in 1978. One recommended product is the Blue Star Windshield Repair Kit.
Permatex, founded in 1909 and based in Hartford, Connecticut, manufacturers premium chemical products for automotive maintenance and repair as well as the home and hardware markets. Products include gasket makers, sealants, hand cleaners, thread lockers, adhesives, cleaners, repair kits, and lubricants. One recommended product is the Permatex Windshield Repair Kit.
Rain-X has been one of the leading companies in aftermarket glass care for more than 40 years. Founded in 1972, the company is currently owned by ITW Global Brands. Its portfolio includes a variety of car-care products, including wiper blades and glass cleaners, car washes, waxes, and headlight restoration kits. One top product is the Rain-X Windshield Repair Kit.
Windshield Repair Kit Pricing
- Less than $10: The majority of windshield repair kits are very affordable. They typically cost less than $10 both online and at retail locations.
Shape of Damage
Select a windshield repair kit that works on the exact type of damage on your windshield. For example, most repair kits can correct defects shaped like a star or flower. This means there was a single point of impact, and the damage spread outwards from that point. Other shapes that can be corrected include cracks, chips, and bull's eyes.
- Sensitivity to Temperature: In order to cure the resin patch, the best windshield chip repair kit will include instructions on the best temperature range to make the fix. Most kits recommend curing the repair in direct sunlight, while others say the exact opposite. It's essential to follow the product's directions in order for the resin to properly cure.
- Resin Quality: The best windshield repair resin repairs chips and cracks, but it needs to be a high-quality substance. When looking for the best windshield repair kit, find one that has a denser and thicker material that dries clearly. You want the resin to blend into the windshield without leaving a big blemish. Lower-grade resin kits may dry in a pale yellow shade.
- Volume: The size of the crack or chip in your windshield will determine how much resin you will require to complete a repair job. Typically, one windshield repair kit should be suitable for a one-time repair on a small crack on a single windshield. If you're repairing more than one windshield, you will need a kit that can be used more than once.
Best Windshield Repair Kit Reviews & Recommendations 2019
Best Overall: Rain-X Windshield Repair Kit
This kit repairs all types of laminated windshields minimizes the appearance of chips and cracks and stops cracks from spreading. It’s good for multiple repairs, and the crack vanishes when examined at a 45-degree angle. The kit works best on round damage one inch in diameter and smaller and cracks no longer than 12 inches. The kit includes a one-gram bottle of resin repair, a repair device, curing strips, razor blade, and instructions.
This kit fills in chips and small cracks nicely and makes them hardly noticeable. It's easy to use, doesn't take much time to complete the repair, and includes enough resin to repair more than one chip. The resin cures only when exposed to UV light (e.g. sunlight), so it is easy to work with and clean up. The kit is able to inject resin deeply into most cracks, displacing air bubbles and restoring the look of the glass.
One downside is the kit will not work effectively to patch large holes. Also, it doesn't have a pushpin to remove some of the center crushed glass, and the instructions are somewhat technical and may be difficult to decipher. In addition, the product has a strong odor and can adhere to your skin if you don't wear gloves.
Best Value: Blue Star Windshield Repair Kit
This kit cures quickly in sunlight and produces a single, professional quality repair. It prevents damage from spreading and restores your windshield to near-new condition. The kit includes a repair injector, adhesive alignment seal, resin chamber pedestal, one tube of Quick Cure resin, Mylar curing film, a razor blade, and instructions.
This kit is very simple to use and fills in chips nicely. If you follow the instructions and each step exactly, the product works beautifully and the damage nearly disappears. The repair also holds up well over an extended period of time. Overall, the kit does what it says it’s going to do and comes with everything you need to repair your windshield.
One problem is the kit may not work well on larger cracks. Also, the resin may take longer to dry than the directions specify. There have been some reports that while it fills a chip, the damage is still visible following the repair. Also, the resin tube can be challenging to squeeze.
Honorable Mention: Permatex Windshield Repair Kit
This kit makes permanent, air-tight repairs on bullseye damage up to 1 1/4 inches on the most laminated windshield glass. The kit provides everything for a single-use repair, and no mixing is necessary. The product's newly redesigned delivery system has an advanced spring-lock feature, and the resin cures in natural sunlight. The company recommends a repair be made in a shaded area with the windshield temperature between 50 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
After application, the windshield crack is barely noticeable, and you can only see it at certain angles. While it doesn't completely remove a blemish, it stops a crack from growing and makes the area over the exterior hole feel smooth. The repair also holds up well under various weather conditions and when you wash your vehicle.
One downside is the kit is only useful for a single repair and is intended for bullseye chips only. There have been some reports that the resin doesn't dry or harden as well as competitor products and that the resin can leak out of the applicator during the repair.
- Try to repair a cracked windshield as quickly as possible. The longer the windshield sits, the more likely it is for dirt to get into the crack. Dirt can be hard to remove, and the resin may not properly bond to the glass as a result.
- Even the best windshield crack repair system will leave a mark on your windshield. Some repair kits produce more clarity than others, but the crack or chip will not be completely invisible. These kits strengthen the windshield but do not completely hide the damage.
- Look for a kit that has all the accessories required for the job: resin, an injector, curing strips, adhesives, applicators, and a razor blade. Alcohol wipes, pushpins, and a pedestal are also great to have to complete the task.
- When repairing a crack, make sure it isn't bigger than 1.5 inches in diameter. Also, make sure the star- or flower-shaped crack is smaller than 6 inches in length.
- Be patient when repairing your windshield. Take your time, thoroughly read the directions, and become familiar with all the tools before you start the project. If you rush, you may make a mistake.
- Before making a repair, thoroughly clean the windshield with a mild detergent and let it dry. Also, remove any loose particles from the damaged/cracked area before applying the resin.
- When spreading the resin, determine how much pressure you need to apply (too much can make the crack worse). Use only quality resin, and smooth it out enough so that the windshield wiper blades don't get caught on the substance and loosen the patch.
- When you finish using the windshield repair kit and the resin solidifies, use a razor blade to scrape excess resin away from the windshield. Then clean the glass with a cloth.
Q: Is it better to repair or replace a cracked windshield?
A: If the crack or chip is smaller than the size of a quarter, a windshield repair kit can do the job just fine. A good-quality DIY kit will prevent a rock chip or crack from expanding but will not remove the damage, and correcting a cracked window is not very costly. However, if the crack, bullseye, or star is directly in front of your line of sight, you may want to replace the windshield. Also, if your vehicle is old, the windshield may not hold up as well under stress and probably should be replaced.
Q: How do I use a windshield repair kit?
A: Position the applicator over the crack, and insert the extension base over it. Put the resin tube over the extension and tighten it until resin replaces the air inside the applicator. Press the syringe to insert six to 10 drops of resin inside the applicator. Put the provided screw inside the resin chamber, and turn it clockwise until it tightens. The resin will press against the glass. After five to 10 minutes, unscrew and remove the applicator.
Q: How do you keep a windshield crack from spreading?
A: If you don't use a windshield repair kit, there are other ways to prevent a crack from spreading, but they are temporary solutions. Eventually, you will have to purchase a repair kit or have a professional correct the damage. Short-term solutions include using super glue or clear nail polish. You can also park in the shade or garage to prevent the crack from getting worse.
Q: Can I use a windshield repair kit on other things?
A: You can use a windshield filler kit on headlights, picture frames, smartphones, and other glass objects that are cracked. It is a useful product to have to repair many types of glass objects.
Our pick for the best windshield repair kit is the Rain-X Windshield Repair Kit. The biggest benefit is that it can be used for multiple repairs. It is also easy to use and makes chips and cracks significantly less visible.
For a less expensive option, consider the Blue Star Windshield Repair Kit.