Best H11 Bulbs: Give Your Vehicle Better Illumination
Upgrade your driving experience with H11 headlights.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON June 8, 2021
Are your car’s headlights looking a bit worse for the wear? While many drivers worry about cosmetic dents and dings, it’s also important to make sure your headlights are shining brightly after many miles on the road. Unfortunately, a vehicle’s standard factory headlights can feature bulbs that burn out or lose their bright illumination over time. The perfect solution? A brand-new pair of H11 bulbs.
H11 bulbs are made for your car’s headlights. They can be used for your brights, your basic headlights, or your low-beam lights; they’ll even suit your fog lights. And you have a wealth of different options: these modern vehicle light bulbs are available in several different formats, and they can be increasingly more energy efficient, brighter, and versatile. You can even find H11 bulbs that’ll last you for years to come. If you're wondering which options are the best you can buy, we’ve got our top picks for the best H11 bulbs right here.
Auxito’s H11 headlight bulbs focus on compatibility, and are shaped to fit in almost any vehicle’s mount. They’re fan-cooled, with a circular beam pattern reminiscent of OEM bulbs.
- Auxito’s bulbs put out around five times the lumens of factory models
- Non-polarity makes them a cinch to install
- Fans are never too loud
- They’re a bit fragile
- While they do fit in almost any mount, some of the smaller ones carry a risk of damaging the H11s
Philips manages to create a fantastic H11 low beam bulb at a much more affordable price compared to other lighting options.
- X-treme Vision bulbs are inexpensive
- Perform great in bad weather
- Have the most straightforward installation process
- These Philips bulbs consume a lot of energy
- Much more fragile than the competition
For customers looking to get the whitest headlights H11 technology can offer, SYLVANIA creates a unique product that might just be the perfect fit.
- SYLVANIA headlights use a patented tri-band technology
- Have a cobalt blue nanocoating
- These SilverStar bulbs have a much shorter lifespan than other headlamps
- More expensive than other halogen options
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of H11 Bulbs
- Long lifespan. H11 bulbs, whether they’re LEDs or HIDs, are made to last you many, many miles. They’re able to last plenty longer than other lightbulbs made for vehicle use, and they’ll save you both time and money as you don’t need to replace them nearly as frequently. With some of the longest-lasting LEDs, you may never need to change your bulbs again.
- Bright, consistent performance. Unlike your factory headlight bulbs, a new set of H11 bulbs can offer increased brightness and better illumination. Typically, you’ll get more advanced technology in a replacement bulb set, meaning you’ll be able to see better and rely on consistent lighting results.
- Versatility. While H11 bulbs are commonly used for vehicle headlights, that isn’t the only place they can be put to work. These highly versatile light bulbs can be used for your high beams, low beams, and fog lights. Some vehicles may even be able to use them elsewhere in even more applications.
- Energy efficiency. Since the majority of today’s H11 bulbs are LEDs, they’re incredibly energy-efficient. With a set of LED H11s installed, your car’s headlights will require less energy and create less heat while they’re turned on. It’s a great way to cut down on your energy footprint while you’re behind the wheel.
Types of H11 Bulbs
Halogen light bulbs have become a popular option ever since their creation in the 1960s. These H11 bulbs were a favorite choice because they were cheap to manufacture and could last more than 1,000 hours. This was an increase over older technology, but has since been outdone by LED and HID technologies. Halogens also have to be handled carefully because they are fragile.
These types of H11 light bulbs are known for being the brightest. HID bulbs became popular due to their improvement over the original halogens. These lights use rare metal and gases to last more than 2,000 hours. The energy consumption is much lower than halogens while creating a much brighter light. The problem with the brightness of these lights is that they are more likely to produce glare and aren't good at penetrating fog.
LED H11 bulbs grew in popularity thanks to automobile designers. These lights are noticeably thinner than the others, and can easily be shaped into many forms. While they aren't as bright as HID bulbs, they are less likely to cause glare and perform better in foggy conditions. LEDs are also much longer-lasting while using even less energy. They are, however, the most expensive to produce.
BEAMTECH is an LED kit manufacturer with more than a decade of experience producing great products. At its inception, it focused on a wide variety of lighting options. Today, it concentrates on providing high-quality aftermarket lighting for the automotive industry. The company’s H11 LED Bulb is a popular choice among consumers.
Cougar Motor is an award-winning automotive lighting company. The small, privately-owned company got its start in 2006 and has aimed to bring the customers excellent service and products. It offers a H11 LED conversion kit at a great value.
The well-known Philips name is now a part of a company called Signify. Signify has become the world leader in lighting technology. It works to create energy-efficient products, and its global Signify Foundation does charity work to increase access to lighting. The Philips H11 X-tremeVision is a competitively priced headlight.
H11 Bulb Pricing
- Under $20: Some H11 headlights are available for under $20. These are bulbs with no additional parts and usually use halogen technology, which is cheaper to produce.
- $20 to $40: Higher-quality LED and HID lights are typically more expensive than halogen H11 bulbs. This mid-price range will typically include high-quality replacement bulbs without additional installation materials.
- $40 and up: Because most vehicles do not come with the brightest H11 bulbs from the factory, buying higher-quality H11 lights may require extra installation. These higher prices are typically for full installation kits and LED or HID light bulbs.
Lumens is the measurement of how bright a light bulb is. One LED headlight bulb can reach over 3,000 lumens; however, some luminosity is lost due to energy production. Scattered light beams may have a higher "brightness" but aren't necessarily the best for driving. Different types of LED chips or installing extra projectors can give you a more focused light beam to better illuminate the road.
Kelvin is used to measure the color and light produced by light bulbs. The different temperatures give off different hues. Headlights that look yellowish are typically in the range of 2,000 and 4,000 Kelvin. The bluish colored headlights are much warmer, with more than 6,500 Kelvins, and traditional white lights land in the middle.
The overall performance of your headlights will depend on how they handle road conditions. The ballast is a part connected to the LED light that protects it from voltage variation and heat, and optimizes power efficiency. Bulbs need to be shockproof due to the inevitable bumps in the road, and poorly damped lights may cut out. Finally, lights have IP ratings to measure the level of waterproofing.
- Compatibility. Not every light bulb you come across is going to fit in your vehicle. There are a lot of different types out there, and you don't want to waste money buying something you cannot use. If you want a specific type of headlight that isn't compatible, you also have the option of investing in a conversion kit.
- Legality. There are a lot of rules and regulations when it comes to vehicles in the U.S. Buyers should make sure that the lights they are buying are street legal and not made for other non-headlight uses. The Department of Transportation is in charge of regulating what is and is not allowed for U.S. models.
- Energy Consumption. Nearly all the energy consumed by LED bulbs is used to produce light. This is different from halogens and HIDs, which both give off a lot of heat and can be considered wasteful. Energy efficient lights are good for the environment and ultimately good for your wallet.
- Price. While the performance and look of your headlights are incredibly important, the most immediate factor is what you're going to pay. This involves the type of light bulb, with LEDs being more expensive and halogens being more affordable, and also the long-term effects of replacement and energy consumption.
Best H11 Bulbs Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Always refer to your vehicle's owner’s manual for what type of bulb your headlights require. H11s can be used in the regular headlamp and as fog lights. Sometimes they require special installation.
- It's essential to know your state's regulations when it comes to headlights. In some states, HIDs are illegal, which means they may not be an option for you.
- How often you drive in poor weather conditions may affect your choice. The brightest bulb does not necessarily mean the best at penetrating fog, rain, or snow.
- If you're just looking to replace the bulb, you can find out what type it is by looking at the bottom of your old bulb.
- The average warranty for headlights is about two years. If you run into issues before the two years are up, most companies have technical support to help you with any problems.
Q: What cars use H11 bulbs?
H11 headlights are a type of single beam bulbs that are often used in modern vehicles. They are interchangeable with H8 and H9 housing units; some cars may have these as the stock option, while others may need to be converted.
Q: What weather conditions can H11s be used in?
LED lights are optimal for any weather. They don't emit heat, which helps them adapt to any climate, and they're designed to work great in rain and fog. HIDs are the best for nighttime driving, although poor weather conditions can reduce their visibility significantly.
Q: Will my H11 bulbs turn yellow?
Your bulbs shouldn’t turn yellow. If they do, there is a problem with the ballast and the amount of heat.
Q: Which headlights blind other drivers?
HID lights are known to cause a glare, which irritates oncoming traffic. LED lights are less likely to do this, especially if angled properly.
For consumers looking for an H11 bulb upgrade, the Auxito H11 Headlight Bulbs are the best option available. For customers looking for a cheaper H11 bulb, by comparison, the Philips H11 X-tremeVision is a great value.