Road Scholars Builds The Ultimate Cayman
With wide hips, race car aero, and 4.2 liters of flat-six power, this might be the best Porsche in history.
It's a well-known fact that we're prone to hyperbole here at The Drive, but this car blows all of that out of the water. We can't be certain just yet, but this might be the single best Porsche road car ever conceived. We're in love, and we're in deep. With 4.2-liters of flat-six power, this car proves once and for all that Porsche's mid-engine chassis is more than capable of handling this kind of power. This well-built 987 proves that Porsche didn't even go far enough with the 981 Cayman GT4, and that an even more powerful car is possible.
This gorgeous piece of mid-engine Porsche beauty makes use of a lot of factory-based aspects to create a truly unique road car. Not only is the chassis balanced, but with a GT3 RS front clip and a GT4 rear wing, even the car's aero is appropriately balanced. Blend in a few cup car pieces, some wild custom parts, and a flashy coat of burgundy paint, and this is one of the prettiest cars to ever wear a Porsche badge.
Now, if you'll excuse us, we'll be watching this video for the hundredth time, thank you very much.
Here is the car's highlighted build list, as assembled by Road Scholars:
* Custom mixed BASF paint in "Burgundy" color - inspired by our 1949 Porsche 356 Gmund restoration
* 911 GT3RS front clip conversion
* Hand fabricated all metal "Wide Body" treatment to doors and quarter panels
* Custom made 1 of 1 rear bumper to fit widened quarter panels
* Shaved roof rails
* 2016 GT4 wing in carbon fiber
* GT3RS Cup Car front lip, hand-made in carbon fiber
* Carbon fiber side mirrors and quarter panel vents
* Shaved rear hatch
* CNC machined custom Cayman GTR sill plates and floor panels
* Color matched front headlamps with LED update
* Smoked taillights and marker lenses
Wheels and Suspension
* Custom built 19" Rotiform HUR wheels wrapped in Nitto Invo Tires
* Complete Porsche Cup-Car suspension package
* Bilstein Coil over struts
* GT3RS 6 piston brake calipers and ceramic 2 piece rotors (custom color matched)
* Air lift front suspension
* 4.2 liter 911 engine with X51 heads and larger fuel injectors
* Clear interior engine house for aesthetic purposes
* Upgraded performance axles by Driveshaft
* Custom header and exhaust
* CAE Ultra Short Shifter
* Upgraded performance clutch
* "Napa brown" and "Natural Beige" custom upholstery with Burgundy stitching throughout
* Custom fabricated flat bottom steering wheel with matching upholstery
* Red gauge cluster with matching upholstery
* Body-color seat buckets with a matte finish
* Custom trim around clear engine house
* Striped headliner in body color matched leather
* Unique "hot stamped" textured leather accents throughout
MORE TO READ
British Police Department Gifted a Porsche Cayman GT4 to Educate Young Drivers
Instead of seeing track use, this GT4 will be serving an important purpose for the Norfolk Constabulary.
From Stock To SEMA In The Pandem Porsche Cayman
This video shows exactly what it’s like to build a SEMA car in a rush
If The Reported Porsche Cayman GT4 RS Is Coming, What Should It Be?
Porsche’s Mid-Engine Super Coupe; More Power or Less Weight?
How Do You Build The Perfect Porsche Cayman GT4?
Henry Catchpole Rates The Sharkwerks-Fettled GT4 “A Solid Twelve Out Of Ten”